Nationwide Studios Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Your on your own
Account Manager and Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 11, 2018
Very seasonal work, Flexible schedule, but are only paid for work completed during the season which is about 7 months out of the year. mainly when school is in session.
Warning about this company
Full time Photographer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 11, 2018
I started back in October of 2016, my job title being a full-time photographer. I had gone through several other photography jobs that were non-full time or that didn't offer benefits. This company did offer benefits but they took a huge cute out of your paycheck to do so. I usually worked around 60-70 hours a week. The pay was $75 to photograph the kids in the morning, and commission in the evening. Sounds good right? Well when you put in 12-14 hours in a day, that 75 doesn't go very far. The commission was very hit or miss, mostly miss as the company encouraged us to give the customers free stuff. The mileage compensation was less than ideal, they compensate their photographers around $1 per sale for mileage. But when you are driving 160-180 miles in a day it's impossible to cover all of your costs. I was told to write off the mileage on your taxes, but even that is not possible. Not to mention you have to fill your entire car up with their studio equipment. Overall, the environment of nationwide studios was stressful, toxic, and chaotic. Up and coming photographers, be wary of companies like this, there are better options out there.
Pros
Meet new people every day
Cons
Healthcare, pay, environment, work-life balance, expenses, people, car equipment, pretty much everything else except meeting new people.
Poor management, long Work Days
Photographer (Former Employee) –  DFW, TXJanuary 28, 2018
Management was very poor. Manager always lied to employees and to schools. Often times, you leave your house by 5 or 6am and won’t return until about 7 or 8pm. Since Manager is lazy and in charge of your schedule, you can be sent to areas that are far (which you pay to get there) and won’t make any money. You get gas reimbursement that are based on your sales. Reimbursement checks take about a month and a half to get back. Needs a change in management ASAP.
Pros
Work with children
Cons
Compensation, hours, travel, reimbursements, management
Terrible Company!
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  So CalJanuary 17, 2018
Not only did their advertised product work, the Customer Service was terrible. The photographers would only stay for one season and quit. Management is non existent and Owners don't listen to either their Customers or Employees. They couldn't even provide a simple CRM program to make people more productive. They laid everyone off for a week in spring to save a few bucks, giving employees 3 days notice. Stay away from this group of dishonest and unethical people!
Pros
Cons
Everything about he company dealing with Customers and Employees.
friendly place to work
Photo Editor (Current Employee) –  Gallatin, TNNovember 30, 2017
I really enjoyed working here, the pay was more than fair for the job, I had overtime every week with optional additional shifts, editing software was easy to use.
Quick paced and fun enviroment.
Customer Service and Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNNovember 13, 2017
My job was to set photography appointments up with Childcare schools seasonally all over the United States. I also were as customer service representative.
Pros
I was able to see millions of smiling babies.
Cons
short breaks
Interesting marketing plan
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 11, 2017
A typical day for me at Nationwide consisted of, confirming appointments. I would make sure that I had plenty of company literature to distribute and samples for new clients to view. I would drive a distance from 15 miles, to 125 miles a day depending on the location of my clients. I learned quite a lot about photography styles, and the companies marketing plan. My manager was very nice. The hardest part of the job, was people cancelling photo events with hardly any notice. The most enjoyable part of the job, was meeting the children of different schools.
Pros
Selling a fun product.
Cons
Commission reduction, with no prior notice.
Data Entry Clerk/Collections (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNJuly 12, 2017
I loved it here, the hardest part of my job was working on Sundays. The most enjoyable part of my job was the bookkeeping and data entry process. Overall I have no complaints.
Pros
own office
Cons
working on Sundays
Sucked the life out of me
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 9, 2017
I was excited to start work with this company. I find certain folks in certain departments to be nothing short of superlative in their willingness to help and support field staff.
But ultimately it sucked the soul right out of me. The hours are pretty crazy and you aren't guaranteed a living wage. it is heartbreaking to work a 13 hour day, not including drive time, only to have made about $4 an hour (yes it can be that bad).
That being said, I was afforded the opportunity to move up in the company.
One significant issue with this company is that the farther up the chain you go, the more disorganized it gets. I had a great trainer and supervisor, but in the end, managerial and structural problems forced me to end my relationship with them, along with being sent to areas of where I live that made me feel unsafe.
If you can handle feeling beat down after 12 hours and love children (The best part of the job), then go for it. But don't expect to actually make a living.
Pros
Great support staff and IT department.
Cons
Very long hours and stress
great work if you have the time.
Photographer/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 19, 2017
the job keeps you on the road and on your toes. be prepared to constantly change your pace, test your patience and be sick.

it's a fun job, and i love it, but i don't think it would be enough to be your sole source of income, unless you are booked into a very lucrative area. with a busy enough schedule, you can make a couple of grand a month. but you would have little time to enjoy it...only sock it away until the off season.

but, if you love kids, making them smile and laugh, and don't mind lugging the equipment about, it's the job for you! (personally, i bought a collapsable cart that i keep in the trunk, i can move everything in one load).

if you need constant supervision, cannot think and work on your own and under pressure, go find a desk job somewhere. this job is fluid, taxing and requires independent thought and faculties.
Pros
good money, dynamic and changing environment, working with kids
Cons
hectic and frantic at times.
Terrible Company!
Photographer/Portrait Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 29, 2017
Very unorganized leadership, they never told me information until it was almost too late. The trainer was VERY unprofessional. The pay was absurdly low, averaged to $8/hr with 14 hour days. I was repeatedly given incorrect information which made me look bad on the job. You are alone basically all day and they expect you to wait around in the middle of the day between shifts. They require you to drive 1+hr each way and provide no compensation. Don't waste your time with this company.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, underpaid, unprofessional leadership
Good Place to Work
Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNApril 28, 2017
Lots of hours good place to work Working every weekend got to be to many hours. Management was new since company was sold and time management was a problem.
position was almost like working for yourself
Sales Consultant for Teddy Bear Portraits (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 27, 2017
varied schedule and was able to do some work from home. Hardest part of job was amount of work that had to be done on Friday's to get shipped out on Saturday
Cubical work
Quality Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNJanuary 5, 2017
I organized, sorted, and ensured our product was inserted properly into packaging. I worked with different approaches and software systems to keep organized.
Pros
Great co-workers and supervisor!
Cons
Would find out daily the time we would get off work, sometimes 4:30, sometimes 7pm.
great independent working environment
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 17, 2016
I enjoyed the ability to be able to work independently as well as a team member. I was able to advance as a photographer as well as becoming comfortable with speaking to clients on a one on one basis.
Pros
Travel reimbursement
Cons
health care, poor benifits
very nice environment to work in
optimization imaging (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNJuly 6, 2016
good people to work for..very fair and honest..they were always having dinner parties for holidays and special occasions..seemed to honestly care about their employees
Pros
worked at your own pace, management didn't stress you at all
Cons
N/a
bad business practices.
former book, shoot, pass (Former Employee) –  South louisianaJuly 4, 2016
I see the review for former Louisiana employee, and how satisfied she/he was. Well I'm a former employee in Louisiana and I promise you no one has left this area and been a happy sorry to go employee the Louisiana management has a lot to be desired, so when.you interview with company ask lots of question about problems company is having, about how much money is to be made. If the answer is company is solid and the money is good... Run
Pros
none, you work hours and travel with no expwnse
Cons
a dying conpany
Great Hours
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 27, 2016
With this company you are able to spend lots of time with your loved ones . Your work day only consists of 3-6 hours. Job is solely commission that can be the only down fall at times but you usually range from about $100 to $400 per day so what you make an hour is outstanding if you break it down.
Fun portrait taking
Photographer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  LouisianaApril 1, 2016
Travel to different day cares then set up equipment to take portraits. Playing with the toddlers and getting them to smile would have to be the fun part. Traveling would be the hardest at times because of the distance. Working with daycare directors and parents with sales was a plus because selling my artwork was very easy. When taking pictures I don"t stop snapping until there is a picture that I am pleased with. No matter the time.
Pros
Being a kid agaim
Cons
Distance in travel at times
Productive, outside sales
Area Booker (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 2, 2016
While the company has switched hands, Teddybear still remains a strong leader in school photography. There are benefits and pay is commission only but the people are super friendly, the work is fast paced, and some positions allow you the opportunity to make your own schedule. Management is helpful, knowledgable, and always accepts employees ideas.
Pros
Makes own hours, weekends off, contests
Cons
A lot of driving