Native American Health Center Employee Reviews

Great Training and Support
Mental Health Specialist/Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 9, 2018
Worked in the field of mental health within the Native American community in the San Francisco area. There was wonderful support surrounding the interaction and support of the families.
excellent place to work
Community Health Worker I/ Program Assistant I (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 28, 2018
Good place to work. They have a lot of jobs and you can move up. There is plenty of room to grow. They are very supportive of school also. I left there because I need to focus more on school and they were very supportive. They put me as rehire and I plan to return after I finish my degree.

The Human Resource staff is very professional also. It is a good place to start from entry-level or from very experienced.
Pros
lots of fun events, raffles, free food..
Great Place to Work
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 1, 2018
Native American Health Center overall is a great place to work! It is doing amazing things for the urban Native American community, as well as helping many other underserved groups within the community. Seeing the positive impact when staff and the community get together for a community event or gathering makes it all worth the hard work.
Compensation is good, especially for a non-profit. The medical benefits are great though! Full time staff have complete coverage for themselves, and have a very low cost for dependents.
Pros
Great Benefits, Great Community
Cons
No Parking
Not for Profit Company
Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 14, 2018
Benefits are the best part of working here. Passive management and lazy staff makes doing the challenging but rewarding community work thats needed here very difficult.
Benefits
Cons
Lazy Management, Lazy Staff
Great patient population
Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 27, 2018
The patients at Native American Health Center are wonderful, as are the staff. If you like working with a group of people dedicated to the health of the community, Native American Health Center is the place to work!
Bad Management, Incompetent Director
Nutrition Aide (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 19, 2018
Horrible management who eventually got fired, the director is always stalking employees making them feel uncomfortable. The building needed so many repairs but never had any actual maintenance going on. Also, there is no yearly increase pay! WARNING! NO INCREASE IN PAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
great place for non-profit health and community work
Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 30, 2017
Great place to work. Could improve facilities and work environment. Very nice people and accomplished individuals to learn from. provides great opportunities and services community members .
Excellent Company
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 7, 2017
I have No Complaints. Working at this company has been a blessing for me. I was able to learn the Medical field and get the experience that I needed with my career
Used to be a fun place until NEPOTISM took charge,
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 20, 2017
It was a fun place to work for until they started hiring people for management positions who were more interested in doing your job than theirs!! Conflict resolution was non existent because whoever you had an issue with was related to someone in either management, HR or the president of the company himself.
Pros
Some co workers were fun
Cons
Nepotism, favoritism, no parking.
If you want to help the under served here is the place.
Lead Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 7, 2017
A fast paced environment that requires efficiency and dedication, I have learned to provide more and more and keep working through all the education and patience I have learned and acquired. The hardest part of the job is not getting attached to the patients. The most enjoyable part of the job is the healing and families grow who you have worked with and provided care for.
Pros
Helping the surrounding communities.
Cons
short breaks
Hostile work environment with low pay
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 11, 2017
This is an extremely stressful work environment with a lot of internal politics and employee conflicts. Positions in all departments, except upper management or people with ties to upper management, seem to have a revolving door. As a Medical Assistant here, you're expected to do anything and everything with questionable training practices, poor supervision, very little compensation and no respect. There was absolutely zero room for advancement. Lowest pay in the business with top heavy management. Please do your research on this place!
Pros
Cons
politics, poor compensation, metered parking
Productive workplace with a very helpful supervisor and pleasant co-worker
Billing Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 5, 2016
A typical day at work was performing daily billing of claims to third party insurance. Run the daily collection batch report and perform routine follow-up on unpaid insurance claims. I have learned when I follow through documenting each service accurately it saves time and management is satisfied with my performance. I always strive to maintain a good relationship with my co-workers because I have no problem in lending a helping hand where needed. The hardest part of my job was when our team would fall behind sending out claims and we had to work extra hard to get the claims out, but we got the job
Pros
Attended several Insurance and Billing seminars, 15 minutes break in the morning and in the afternoon
Cons
Great experience with versatile experiences.
DATA ENTRY COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 28, 2015
Provided learning experiences and daily interactions with administration. There was also an introduction to the Native American culture. Even though my daily assignments included updating and contacting patients and transferring information from hard copy to computer, I enjoyed the privilege of doing the round table with the doctors and acting in the capacity of medical assistant.
Pros
Learned County interaction and medical terminology
Cons
Did not adhere to promises with regard to promotion.
Amazing
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 6, 2015
All the Staff is amazing at what they do and they always do it with a smile. I love working with this company, but since I am on-call I barely get to work with these amazing people. I'm just waiting for the opportunity to apply for a full time position.
Pros
Amazing staff members
Cons
Sometimes run a little behind in time
Great sevices offered and great staff
Health Educator Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 19, 2014
The staff are very compassionate about what they do.
I learned to be me humble.
Gained knowledge of street outreach.
Productive and compassionate social work.
WIC Nutrition Aide/Bilingual (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 13, 2014
A typical day at the Native American Health Center, WIC office consisted of assembling technical equipment; computers, printers, checks etc. Followed by turning off voice-mail machine, checking voice-mail/e-mails along with following ups. The staff would then have a short "huddle" meeting in order to inform of updates concerning policies and procedures that directly and/or indirectly affected Native American Health Center employees and/or its' participants. Next, doors would then open and I would greet participants, take their folder along with the paperwork associated with the appointment. I would review the forms to ensure accuracy. Then I contacted the Dietitian or Nutritionist (based on need) inform them of their appointment. Majority of the day was dedicated to this type of customer service. I would help certain participants that could not read or write fill out their questionnaires and translate from Spanish to English vice verse. I would then take accurate measurements for height and weight. Input information into state WIC system. At the end of the day we checked to make sure we had accurate records, put away all the technical equipment and cleaned up office. Also conducted call backs for missed appointments to improve participation. Received and dispersed mail. The management was superb! Everyone was collective and always evolving in their communication skills. I was trained efficiently and was always assisted if I had questions about a matter. The hardest part of my job was my salary was not covering the cost of my transportation and my child care for my four  more... year old daughter, whom of which I am a single mother. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people. I loved my co-workers and the participants. As a Native American woman I was completely revel in the cultural competency.  less
Pros
Culturally sensitive, amazing participant base and great management
Cons
Salary, no room for upward mobility and location
Strong community ties
Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 24, 2014
NAHC was a wonderful place to work and is deeply involved in the Bay Area Native community. That said, recent changes in the way the organization has been operating have been driving away community members and prior to my departure, many people quit coming for services due to the organizational changes
Review of Native American Health Center Oakland
Admin Asst (Current Employee) –  OaklandJanuary 13, 2014
- Busy all day
- Learned Management Styles COUNT
- Co-workers are becoming more and more professional
Loved it
Medical Assistant III/CPHW (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 26, 2013
Always helping community and offering educational servics.
Productive but complicated
Medical Assistant- On Call (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 26, 2013
Had a great experience, learned alot from many doctors, but it has it's cons.
Pros
able to do many procedures and learn new abilities
Cons
unwilling to help new employees or incorporate them in the them. lack of communication and team work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Native American Health Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Native American Health Center Reviews by Location