Native Foods Cafe Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
My coworkers are who kept me around. It was a very fun and let loose kind of a place- or at least it had the potential to be.
Wait Staff (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 16, 2018
Management had its issues and unfortunately that’s what caused me to find another job. I was sad to leave my friends, but overall, a better decision because employees get fired left and right without any warning.

You couldn’t trust anybody.
Pros
We’re encouraged to show our tattoos and be individualistic
Avoid like the plague
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAJuly 31, 2018
This company has a perpetual revolving door due to mismanagement. Several wrongful termination suits have been brought against this company (my own included). Blatant violation of California labor laws, sicken treatment of staff, no benefits. If all you need from a job is quick cash and a free lunch then this is the place for you. Career oriented individuals beware. Avoid this place like the plague.
Pros
Discounted/Free meals
Cons
No benefits, labor law violations, harassment, biased towards LGBT, sexist discrimination against males.
Laid-Back Casual Workplace
Executive Assistant/Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 30, 2018
I do not really have much to say about Native Foods Cafe, LLC. Extremely relaxed environment. Maybe too relaxed. Poor compensation for high level work.
fun place to work
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAMay 13, 2018
Great place to learn about working in the food and beverage industry. You learn a lot of team work, they have wonderful training, and you learn a lot about a lifestyle.
Fun, fast paced work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Encinitas, CAFebruary 12, 2018
A typical day at work would include customer service, serving food, prepping food, bussing tables and making sure customers were recieving quality food and maintain happy while eating. I learned that team work is really important and sometimes a hard thing to accomplish when everyone is not willing to be apart of a team. Management was descent, but changed around a lot in my time working there and appeared to be inconsistant. The workplace culture was very fun and friendly and all my team members got a long and grew good relationships with eachother. The hardest part of the job was seemingly doing everything on my own at certain points when others did not want to cooperate with our duties. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers because everyone that came in was very friendly and patient.
Pros
tips, friendly- co-workers
Good job for college students
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 5, 2018
Easy to get along with customers and make tips. Manager staff needs work. Good food and usually good coworkers. You need to be able to work hard and quickly to be successful.
Don't even think about it
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2017
This is the worst company I worked for. They are unprofessional, ignore labor laws and don't care about their people. The COO and CEO are not just bad at running companies, they are bad, selfish people. They offer a lot of pay but it isn't worth the low quality of life.
Delicious Food but Poor Management
Cafe Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, ORSeptember 28, 2016
Native Foods is a 100% plant-based restaurant. It is any person's vegan dream come true. Its menu holds sweet and savory and salty vegan flavors in all textures. Corporate however, left us to try to serve our delicious food with constantly breaking registers, a faulty rewards system, and a manager who over-emplyed and hired inexperienced, slow cooks to work the rush hour. Alas. The discount was awesome though. The lavender lemonade was insanely good.
Pros
50% discount and free drinks
Cons
Over employed
Clean, organized vegan restaurant
CASHIER/FOOD RUNNER (Former Employee) –  Encinitas, CAAugust 22, 2016
I love working here because it's a vegan restaurant and I've been vegan for a few years. I loved my coworkers and always had a fun time. The down side is sometimes it would get very slow. Other than that I really like working here just not enough hours at the moment.
Fun workplace, great employees
Shift Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAMarch 5, 2015
Coming into work, I would have to set my station up for success.
Sauces, TOGO station, count my drawer, count the bank, and line checks.

I learned how to run a restaurant, balance drawers, set up deposits, maintain order. Run a shift efficiently.

Management wasn't bad in store, corporate was a bit shaky, i felt that corporate managers didn't value the employees enough. They had a lot of issues keeping any salaried managers for very long.

Co-workers were amazing, had no issues with anyone.
I kept them busy all the time. They kept me smiling 100% of the time.

Hardest part of the job would have to have been trying to get everyone out at closing at their set times.

I enjoyed our guests the most, my job was also to keep people happy, and i absolutely love making their time at the restaraunt an experience.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Hours
Productive place to work at. Great food which is free for managers. Not very good benefits/compensations for the work put in.
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAJanuary 7, 2015
Productive place to work at. Great food which is free for managers.

Not very good benefits/compensations for the work and hours put in. Not a very good work/life balance as well. Communication can be 20x better; they do not communicate very well with store managers especially at the District Manager level.
Extremely fast paced enviorment with a healthy twist!
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2013
Here at Native foods I worked the mid-day shifts 11am-9pm. A typical day at work would be being the head cashier for the first 5 hours of work. This location would easily see 500 guest in 5 hours. After the lunch rush I would eat lunch and come back and cash out all the other cashiers. After 3pm I was the only cashier working in the restaurant. At this time I would do side work and get ready for Dinner time. At the end of the shift I also had a checklist that needed to be complete at the end of your shift. I counted down my drawer, then opened up all the other drawers and made sure that they were all even.

I learned how to close the restaurant and make sure everything is off and in its right place.

My co-workers were amazing and I still keep in touch with some of them.

Worst part of work is when someone had been standing in line for 20 min and when they finally get to your register they still don't know what they want.

Best part of work was that everyone was always happy and everyone got along with one another.
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
No heathcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Native Foods Cafe. Our community is ready to answer.