Natural Grocers Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good work place
Cashier, Vitamin Manager, Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ogden,UtahAugust 13, 2018
Most of the staff were great to work with encluding management, i learned something from every department. moved up quick to assistant store manager. left due to it becoming a hostile work environment. No follow through on accountability
Pros
You move up quick
Cons
Procedures are not always followed
A shell of it's former greatness
Vitamin Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYAugust 13, 2018
When I started at Natural Grocers in 2010 it was an awesome place to work and I wanted to make a career here. Since then the company has gone public and has completely lost it's way. It's focus is on growth and money only. The company no longer puts an emphasis on taking care of it's employees and makes horrible business decisions for temporary boosts in profits that lead to restrictions on employees.
Vitamin Store
CASHIER/ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COAugust 8, 2018
When I first was hired I loved this job.
I got to know more about vitamins and what they do for each part of the body. I enjoyed going to nutritional classes and learning more so i could help the customer at the checkout lane. The workplace was relaxed at first, but it was starting to get overwhelming. Cashiers were called from different deparments of the store to fill in for the front end cashiers when it would get busy. Managers would take their time to get down to the front end to help customers and problems.
I enjoyed the customers and made lots of new friends while working there. I had goals to reach but other employees didn't, The hardest part of the job would be the micromanagement and favoritism in the managers to employees in the store. Lots of computer classes that had deadlines when you had no knowledge of it being due.
Pros
Discount VBuck card 20 % off, free samples of discounted products, knowledge of the products you are selling
Cons
Thursday night meetings until 1130 pm at night, micromanagement, favoritism in store, managers not believing in employees
Not a good place to grow within a company
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  NMAugust 6, 2018
The only reason I've stayed with this company for 4 years were my employees whom I've worked with for 4 years. Turn over rate is high! New management came and we lost 3 people within a week because of his style of management. Been passed over too many times for management positions that were offered to the newly hired people who've just been with company less than a year. Work environment ended up to feel like a frat house assistant store manager was a hot head always an up and down mood. Making promises they can't keep, all in all a stressful environment
Pros
discount
Cons
pay too low, management
Management was poor
Cashier/Store Support (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORAugust 2, 2018
I enjoyed all of my assistant managers at natural grocers. However, my lead manager was very rude and had people quit on the spot because of how poorly she ran the store
Could be an amazing company
Good4U crew (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COAugust 1, 2018
I love the idea behind this company and the fact that it has so much potential, but is utterly heart breaking to see how the owners and upper management are executing their poorly thought out business plan. Management is inconsistent and if you are a dedicated employee you will get treated like absolute dirt. The more effort you put in, the more you are expected to be a door mat. This is due to the majority of staff being slackers and not giving a care about their job and it all comes down on the hardest working people. Management is an absolute joke and the worst part is that it comes from the top down. The training provided to managers is more along the lines of how to become a dictator as opposed to being a true leader. The majority of upper management are hired in their twenties and lack the work and life experience to understand how to truly lead. The pros of Natural Grocers are awesome and include $1 per every hour worked in vitamin bucks, which can be spent in store on the high quality products, health insurance and 401k plan. Every employee has great intentions, but squandered when they go unrecognized and abused. Employee input is disregarded and in fact, if you have an opinion or suggestion you are essentially exiled and put down, and you will be written up because the owners are so deep in denial about how the daily operations of their own company and are driving their company into the grave. They recently raised the starting pay to $11.00/hour, but failed to raise the pay for the people that have put years of dedication and hard work into the company. To put it into  more... perspective, I have been with the company for a total of 5 years and I make $1.00 more than the new hires. I go for days without eating and have to have 2 jobs just to get by. Pay your employees enough to live a good life. We are struggling! Listen and take our suggestions to heart. We are on the front lines every single day. Take our feedback to heart. Your employees are your greatest asset, invest in us and your return will be astounding if you do so. You have many excellent employees who only want to see the Natural Grocers thrive, myself included. It's incredibly disheartening to be treated so horribly. We are literally screaming out for your support. It's a great start to raise the starting wage, but what about your employees who have dedicated years to your company? Those are the people you need to pay attention to. Moreover, be upfront and honest in interviews about the demands of the job. What I was told in my interview was not in alignment with the actuality in the slightest. Here's a couple more suggestions you should take seriously:

- Hire people to be JUST cashiers. This will enable your managers and other Good4U crew to get their job completed. If you pull people in hundreds of directions, nothing will get done, resulting in product sitting in the backroom for days, equating to lost sales.

-Reimburse your employees for education. I'm sure you're aware this is to your benefit as well as you can claim a substantial amount on your taxes!

-Get out of denial and get real with yourselves and your expectations. Everyone will be better off.
Pros
Vitamin bucks, 401k plan, health insurance
Cons
Awful management, poor pay, horrible daily operations, lazy, careless employees, horrible owners
My experience thus far.
Produce Clerk/Good 4 You Crew (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJuly 31, 2018
I have worked in grocery/retail for the last eighteen years, I started right after I graduated from high school. I eventually learned to run nearly every different department in my store, and in 2005 trained as a 2nd ASM (Assistant Store Manager). I wasn't chosen for the position at the time, but I did become my stores first PIC (Person in Charge) a manager without the title or salary. I was passed up twice more in my time there, both times to people without my knowledge or experience.

Fast forward to today and I have been with Natural Grocers for nearly three months. When I signed on I was told that there is plenty of opportunities within this company to promote and move into management, especially with my experience. A few weeks in and my assistant manager told me the Dairy manager position would soon be open and that he would let me know when I could apply for it. A few more weeks pass and my store manager then tells me she just posted the grocery/dairy/bulk foods assistant manager position. She tells me to apply for it and to let her know as soon as I do. So here I was thinking I might have an actual shot at being promoted this time, boy was I wrong. Several weeks go by with no word about my interview or anything related to either position. Then on a certain Tuesday I asked my manager about my interview, she tells me we will do it that Sunday. On Friday (my manager was off that day conveniently), my assistant manager calls me to the office. Long story short he tells me that my interview will not be happening, because both he and the store manager thought that I
  more... wasn't ready for the responsibility, that I had things to "improve". One thing in particular was that I didn't finish my work in produce fast enough to help the other departments out. Even though, conveniently they are too busy to help me out. My manager would later add that while my work was "good", it wasn't "great". I wasn't exemplary, or didn't think like a manager should. When I'm caught up in the produce department, I should be looking for something else to do elsewhere. Or try to finish my work early to be able to help everyone else out. She also said that because of my "apparent" shortcomings that she could not honestly recommend me for promotion.

So here I am playing second fiddle again, the thing that irritates me the most is the scheming behind the scenes. If they didn't want me to apply, why tell me in the first place. Or if there are things they think I need to work on, let me know beforehand. But don't tell me to apply if you have no intention of even interviewing me for the position. I spent the better part of two decades working for a company that screwed me every chance they got. Now I have a feeling it's starting all over again. So I cannot honestly recommend working for this company.
Pros
Employee incentive program "vitamine bucks"
Cons
Petty management, lack of actual training
fun educational conscious place of work
Night Shift Stocker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 25, 2018
management is corporate. a typical day is very busy getting the store prepared for opening. stocking shelves and facing product so its presentable for the customers.
Pros
education
Cons
average pay
ok place to work
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJuly 15, 2018
I liked helping folks make heathier choices. But you can say what you want. Constantly being corrected due to laws. I'm an herbalist, detox specialist. I had so much to offer, But was constantly shut down .
Pros
food discounts are awesome
Cons
Cant speak truths on health
Would not recommend this company to anyone!!!
Manager Dairy/Frozen/Meat (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTJuly 15, 2018
The management is extremely poor and does not care about its employees. Expectations are defined by corporate but not always followed by local store manager/assistant manager. Do not care how hard you work or effort put into your job. Will seldom talk to you about store policy violations and only write up regardless of what your input might be. Poor attitude toward employees regardless of their loyalty.
Pros
Discounts on various store items
Cons
Poor working conditions, unrealistic expectations, poor management at every level
Had good customoers
Cashier/Customer Service/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJuly 9, 2018
The company started out good with learning about products and how to improve sells. Later they stopped doing this and I felt it was good for a health store.
Pros
Good selection of food and supplements
Cons
Prices
pleasant
Associate (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 28, 2018
it was a slower paced job. Being a cashier was much steadier but not stressful. This job was comfortable but offers no room for advancement or change of positions.
Good company to work for
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COJune 24, 2018
This company has high standards as to the products and information available to customers. Respectful working environment. Great benefits. If you are able to relocate - this is a good company to work for.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Hours and the company doesn't invest much in their older stores.
Worked my butt off. It was never enough, never acknowledged and never appreciated.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 23, 2018
Started out well, but went downhill fast . Corporate politics galore. Favoritism, cut throat bias abounds. Horrible high school level mentality and emotional maturity in district manager. Started out working there with a positive attitude. Kept giving and giving, but it was never enough. Would nt even recommend working there to my worst enemy. Don’t even know how they stay in business with the way they treat employees. Such a healthy place to shop but the most unhealthy place to work.
Pros
Benefits, salary
Cons
Management, HR Dept
Not as great as it seems..
Nutritional Health Coach (Former Employee) –  OregonJune 21, 2018
Went through two different store managers during my time and both were not suited for the job, constantly breaking company policies and dropping the ball on events. Company culture is FULL of gossip.
Pros
Discount on bodycare and supplement products was pretty sweet.
Cons
Gossip culture, poor management, unjust firings, favoritism.
Great company and wonderful staff!
Health & Beauty Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 19, 2018
I can honestly say that my time at Natural Grocers was a an overall positive experience. Our team was dedicated and our store manager, even more. He was the best corporate manager I ever had!
Pros
Great staff, great pay, great culture, and great perks!
Cons
The hours are long, shifts are stressful when the store understaffed, store is often understaffed, corporate was starting to step in too much.
A great place to work with plenty of room for advancement.
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 15, 2018
I truly am heartbroken about losing this job as I planned on making it a career, but unfortunately they were not willing to forgive my mistakes that did not take place in the work environment.
Aside from the HR department's lack of personal interest in the employees, the company is decent and I still believe in it and hope to be able to return someday.
Pros
2 10 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch, great hours, benefits, accrued PTO
Cons
HR department is not personal and lacks humanity.
A decent place to work
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJune 9, 2018
The store was consistently understaffed and everyone is always stressed in some way with no way to express any real frustrations with the store manager.
I was told to stand up for myself, but whenever I would try to do so I was not taken seriously.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
understaffing
positive work environment
SALES (Former Employee) –  Durango, COJune 8, 2018
I loved working here because I learned so much while working in the most positive work environment. Everyone is really supportive of each other and their success in and outside of work.
Horrible company
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXJune 7, 2018
Not a good company.Change district managers every 3 month, each come in with a new idea, 3 months and he's gone.

Stay away, dont do it bad experience.
Pros
pay
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Natural Grocers. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight