Natural Grocers
Coronavirus update
Information from Natural Grocers:

Natural Grocers Employee Reviews

United States518 reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at NGs, and I definitely had many introspective moments questioning whether I should still be working there. I'm glad I stuck it out, ultimately. Things have been much better since moving our location into a new building (in July 2019).

The company cares for you as an employee, and they also care a lot about their customers. Sometimes this leads to contradictions. The pay is low compared to cost of living because they keep their prices low for customers. Some of the low pay is made up for in other perks like Vitamin Bucks ($1 store credit for every hour worked), nice discounts, and holiday pay. A newly added perk is accruing paid time off even though I'm part-time! There's also a paid 10-minute break for every 2 hours you work and a 30-minute lunch. So an 8.5 hour schedule shift will include a 30-minute lunch sandwiched between two paid 10-minute breaks. Time off can be hard to get, especially around holidays, because there are not a lot of employees.

In my store particularly, there is fairly high turnover and the culture can struggle because of this. I wish the management promoted more culture building and crew connections. The manager can be a little demanding when she gets stressed. This can lead to feeling like I'm not being valued. She does really care about me, though, it's just not always shown in a way that is obvious (which she's working on).

The store is generally quite busy which can be hard for me as an introvert ~ I've adapted over time. It does make the time go by faster. The customers are usually great (there's always obnoxious
 - more...
Pros
breaks, employee perks, co-workers, free health info, overall good company
Cons
busy, stressful, semi-low pay, time off around holidays is hard to get
loved working here, and all the people I worked with. Fair pay and extra benefits. Good discounts , friendly customers. Great hours, They work with your needs.
Pros
$1.00 store credit for every hr worked.
Cons
dealing with crazy shoppers
This store is an amazing place to be working for they treat you very well, just I wish that we got more money, the pay is not good at all. But a very family environment, so that makes up for alot.
Pros
Earn a dollar in store credit per each hour worked
Cons
Pay and no overtime allowed at all!!
the isleys are a fantastic family that truely beleve in what they do and offer a fair and reasionable wage for the work cant say enough good about them
Pros
employee discount and other employee benifits
Cons
some policys
Might just have been my store but higher ups preach wanting to care for you and make sure you stay healthy. But the minute you call out because of your mental health or being sick, they treat you differently. Make you feel guilty about calling out. Very passive aggressive. I got very little help when I was trying to run a department alone, they are supposed to have assistants to help out but those positions are hard to keep filled. The stress of the job does not match the pay at all. Its impossible for anyone who should be fired to actually get fired. Employees will make complaints about coworkers who make the place horrible and nothing happens until a customer says something. Customer always comes first apparently, even before the wellbeing of your own employees.
The good thing though is it is inclusive to all people, no matter your gender, orientation, background, race, experience. And it attracts some really amazing people..even if the place is toxic.
Serious lack of trust in the leaders they chose, 7 weeks of operational training, 1 week of leadership training, 1 day of HR training for most store managers. Take a part time employees, with months on the job, word over years of experience. Micromanaged on all aspects, understaffed to meet required goals. I appreciated the challenge, and all the staff who took pride in their work.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Lack of honesty, integrity, and support.
I worked here for about a year and while there were great times, the company just didn’t really care about its employees or stores. Coolers were constantly breaking down, there was never any cleaning supplies, and we were habitually neglected as far as getting a new store and basic safety measures such as cameras. A great example of this was when I was robbed at my register and simultaneously threatened with a bomb. The situation was diffused and everything was fine but on top of not even having an actual procedure in writing to properly handle the situation, corporate thought it would be appropriate to install cameras in the room where cash was kept in the store, instead of at the registers. When we practically begged for cameras at our registers our emails were ignored. The shockingly blatant disregard + disdain for our lives after facing such a traumatic situation is just the tip of the iceberg. The amount of work you do is not enough for the pay. Not to mention they syphon you and force you to spend money at their store on overpriced goods with “vitamin bucks”. I respect the mission and intent behind bringing health to local communities and such but natural grocers just isn’t it. There was little to no functionality in the company outside of satisfying customers and meeting sales goals as a store. Do better.
Pros
Cool customers, discounts
Cons
Not enough pay, poor management; and even poorer corporate
This job asks far too much of it's employees for an inadequate pay. The jobs take on a lot of stress since they are often understaffed and company is always cutting hours. That being said though, if you can take a high stress environment, it's definitely not the worst job.
The work is good and the pay is good as well as for the company they tend to really care about their customer service and their employees in times of need..as for the employees that’s something that can definitely IMPROVE
Pros
Pay
Cons
Employees, flexibility, attitudes, etc.
Difficult to move up, eccentric management. Lack of good communication. Great at the beginning and more jaded as time grows. Overall a good company if you don't mind fuckery every once in awhile.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no communication
This is a great company to work for and they take exceptional care of their employees. They give you all kinds of perks from vitamin bucks to health and wellness education.
Pros
Great people
No organization or decent training. Immature, bossy managers that yell at you as you try to use the rest room. From the time I walked in it was pure chaos. I had one person to help me stock on one day a week. Everything fell on me and there was no support or help. Only guilt trips and dirty looks for not getting more done. I was always exhausted and frustrated, it was not worth it. Do yourself a favor and skip this place, you are just a number and can easily be replaced. They do not care about their employees at all.
By far the best company I’ve worked for. Such an amazing environment, great people, friendly staff. Friendly customers. Peaceful environment.. just an all around great company!
The company is an inclusive company. They are open to both crew members and customers. The management is alright and help the best they can. The crew members are open and friendly.
Not a supportive environment, pay is stagnant with impossible standards to achieve for raises during your evaluation. The main office is completely out of touch with what it takes to run a store and constantly changes how they want you to do things. They are in the store constantly judging everything, EVERYTHING. Customers are difficult and oddly entitled in the location I work. Very little support or training but a lot of judgment. The perks are nice, meaning the discounts you get on products. The truly abysmal part is the schedule you have to have. You MUST do closing shifts, no if ands or buts. It is difficult to have any sort of work life balance. I strongly discourage anyone from working here. Turn over rate is high. Management is viewed as disposable. Been with the company a little over a year and it has gone downhill with changes in management and staff.
Its like working with family and a special bond. Stocking items and helping out the customers find what they are looking for.
It felt good to put a smile on people's face. We are giving back to the community by giving healthy food and great nutrition. Everyone works together as a family. Its good to feel like you make a difference in people's life and making them laugh and feel good.
Management makes all the difference. Not enough training or communication. Too demanding. Good products. Some good employees. Sometimes very boring. Bountiful Utah is the best store
Natural Grocers truly cares about it's employees, they've gone above and beyond to ensure our health and safety, providing supplements and masks, I feel truly blessed to work for such a great company!
It is a very relaxing yet productive environment. All employees are extremely willing to go out of thier way to help others. They are dedicated to giving back.
First off let me say you start off with very little to no training, sink or swim type of environment. I was able to move up the ranks rather quickly due to the ridiculous rate of turnover and luckily I had a GM who looked out for his employees. Very quickly I realized why all the previous managers had left. I found it odd that managers that oversaw the store were also sources of gossip, passing it down to the G4u Crew and watching the madness unfold. Some but not all of the managers would do just enough to get by and wouldn't think twice about leaving you in the dust. While other managers could recite the entire employee handbook word by word to screw you over at any given moment. These are the managers that Natural Grocers wants, apathetic, selfish, overly attentive, and inconsiderate people. That's why they fired my boss because he was none of those and they fired me to make an example. It doesn't matter how much work you put in, this company has heartless HR workers that are on a power trip and might as well be called terminators. They respect snitches that only cause the store more and more issues than people who pour their heart and soul into their work and seeing their co workers succeed. I would not recommend that anyone waste their time here, you will be just another number to the powers above who will not hesitate to fire you in the middle of a pandemic.

Pros: I was able to get manager experience and work along side very good people which would temporary cover up how bad this company really is.
Official response from Natural Grocers
May 4, 2020
Sorry to hear that you didn't get the level of support you expected. Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback! We care deeply about our people and go above and beyond to provide the support that you need.
Natural Grocers takes allegations of this nature seriously. We have an anonymous reporting line. Those with concerns can call or email our hotline @303-390-3848 or HR@naturalgrocers.com to provide specifics like location of the occurrence so we can investigate the matter.
Lots of laughs and fun all the way around with this crew.
management was super easy to get along with, and they worked with and around my crazy schedule without an issue.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Natural Grocers. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7
Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.