Natural Grocers Employee Reviews

Management tried, but is terrible.
body care department manager (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTSeptember 22, 2018
Corporate very obviously doesn't support military members or their training schedules. They found any reason to illegally write me up so they can fire me, despite my hard proof. All near my 4 week training period with my unit. Despite 4 valid points of which they violated, I left due to the feeling of a hostile work environment. Pay was great though. One word: lawsuit.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, corporate.
Only good perks
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe NMSeptember 22, 2018
Bad training from day one. They could not even explain why they were going in 3 processes for customers returns. Which in modern programs would have been taken out at reg.
They are not organized on any level.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Training and management
A kind place to work
Good4u Crew member (Current Employee) –  Mission, KSSeptember 17, 2018
As soon as I got there, I felt welcomed. My managers remind me constantly that they appreciate me helping them even when we get out late and I don’t do anymore than I’m supposed to do for that day. It makes me feel like I’m getting paid to be apart of a little family.
Pros
Discounts, Pto, non-PTO, fair breaks
Cons
Keeping up with some customer expectations can be difficult
decent place to work
Department Manager/Manager on Duty/Buyer (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXSeptember 16, 2018
They provide great Training, great benefits and have some of the best customers! Encourages a healthy lifestyle and eating habits.. Enjoyed my fellow employees.
Pros
Employee Benefits
Cons
Management was not professional
Family Setting
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 16, 2018
Good company smaller,still new and trying to get establish in Texas.
There is a lot of competition here so these stores are taking off a little slower.
Pros
Vacation accrual
Cons
Healthcare
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORSeptember 11, 2018
Good place to work. clean environment with healthy living products. inspires one to be healthy. pay is low but its grocery retail so its how it is. advancement opportunity and opening a lot of stores
Enjoyed my job, but not the lack of training
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 29, 2018
Basically, I feel that there is a decent amount of training offered, if and only IF you choose to pursue the herb and supplement path. If not, you are more or less left to your own devices, in which, some people have a decent self taught work ethic, but even so... Management doesn't always have a clue what they're doing, due to the fact they didn't receive acute training for all positions they have to cover.
Dont work here if you value your sanity!
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Clive, IAAugust 26, 2018
Used to love this job but as of lately its become a mecca of politics and horrible management. Lack of support from store level up to higher management. HR is a joke and get off on firing employees for here say. Some of the vendors are shady one tried offering me free marijuana. Department managers cut corners and accept hot eggs and not up to par products to fill shelves. I wanted to be with this company but after seeing witnessing this i will never return. Do yourself a favor and skip this place! Such a shame because it used to be a honest place i have no clue what has happened. Also one of the managers yelled at two employees that had documented health issues and made then cry because of being late to work! Save yourself the trouble seriously to much drama. You've been warned!
Pros
Its all and illusion!
Cons
Everything!
Store Manager, NGVC
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  farmington, NMAugust 22, 2018
You must love your job (retail, extensive customer service, focus on sales) before agreeing to step into the role of Store Manager/Upper Management. The work hours are demanding. Your schedule can change at the drop of a hat. The upper mgmt. is inconsistent, so job security becomes an issue when taking on a salaried position. This company is a corporation that tries to hold onto "mom & pop store" values. This sometimes makes for problems. Work culture store-to-store is good. However, expectations are very hard to meet given what you have to work with. I enjoyed this job, but needed to have a life outside of it.
Pros
discount, fun environment, learn much about healthy lifestyle
Cons
too many hours for salaried positions, too little store support (not allowed to hire enough employees to meet demands)
Good place to learn customer service.
Grocery/Bulk Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 20, 2018
It is an ok job if you are in a roll that fits your character. If not it can be very tough to succeed at. It is grocery store retail. Not the same as other retail jobs. Customers are far more demanding then in any other industry I have worked at. You have to be able to keep a cool head at all times. You must be helpful and engaging at all times. If you can do that you can create life time customers and even customers who become your friends.
Pros
Fast paste never a dull moment.
Cons
Healthe care coverage is very poor. Hours put a strain on you relationships outside of work
Nice atmosphere
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 15, 2018
Was a fantastic place to work when you think of environment great co-workers poor management they tear down and threaten instead motivate and inspire which was bad thing I seen a lot of great employees leave.
Pros
Store cash store credit given to employees ($80/pay period)
Cons
Bad management structure
Good work place
Cashier, Vitamin Manager, Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ogden,UtahAugust 13, 2018
Most of the staff were great to work with encluding management, i learned something from every department. moved up quick to assistant store manager. left due to it becoming a hostile work environment. No follow through on accountability
Pros
You move up quick
Cons
Procedures are not always followed
A shell of it's former greatness
Vitamin Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYAugust 13, 2018
When I started at Natural Grocers in 2010 it was an awesome place to work and I wanted to make a career here. Since then the company has gone public and has completely lost it's way. It's focus is on growth and money only. The company no longer puts an emphasis on taking care of it's employees and makes horrible business decisions for temporary boosts in profits that lead to restrictions on employees.
Vitamin Store
CASHIER/ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COAugust 8, 2018
When I first was hired I loved this job.
I got to know more about vitamins and what they do for each part of the body. I enjoyed going to nutritional classes and learning more so i could help the customer at the checkout lane. The workplace was relaxed at first, but it was starting to get overwhelming. Cashiers were called from different deparments of the store to fill in for the front end cashiers when it would get busy. Managers would take their time to get down to the front end to help customers and problems.
I enjoyed the customers and made lots of new friends while working there. I had goals to reach but other employees didn't, The hardest part of the job would be the micromanagement and favoritism in the managers to employees in the store. Lots of computer classes that had deadlines when you had no knowledge of it being due.
Pros
Discount VBuck card 20 % off, free samples of discounted products, knowledge of the products you are selling
Cons
Thursday night meetings until 1130 pm at night, micromanagement, favoritism in store, managers not believing in employees
Not a good place to grow within a company
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  NMAugust 6, 2018
The only reason I've stayed with this company for 4 years were my employees whom I've worked with for 4 years. Turn over rate is high! New management came and we lost 3 people within a week because of his style of management. Been passed over too many times for management positions that were offered to the newly hired people who've just been with company less than a year. Work environment ended up to feel like a frat house assistant store manager was a hot head always an up and down mood. Making promises they can't keep, all in all a stressful environment
Pros
discount
Cons
pay too low, management
Management was poor
Cashier/Store Support (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORAugust 2, 2018
I enjoyed all of my assistant managers at natural grocers. However, my lead manager was very rude and had people quit on the spot because of how poorly she ran the store
Could be an amazing company
Good4U crew (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COAugust 1, 2018
I love the idea behind this company and the fact that it has so much potential, but is utterly heart breaking to see how the owners and upper management are executing their poorly thought out business plan. Management is inconsistent and if you are a dedicated employee you will get treated like absolute dirt. The more effort you put in, the more you are expected to be a door mat. This is due to the majority of staff being slackers and not giving a care about their job and it all comes down on the hardest working people. Management is an absolute joke and the worst part is that it comes from the top down. The training provided to managers is more along the lines of how to become a dictator as opposed to being a true leader. The majority of upper management are hired in their twenties and lack the work and life experience to understand how to truly lead. The pros of Natural Grocers are awesome and include $1 per every hour worked in vitamin bucks, which can be spent in store on the high quality products, health insurance and 401k plan. Every employee has great intentions, but squandered when they go unrecognized and abused. Employee input is disregarded and in fact, if you have an opinion or suggestion you are essentially exiled and put down, and you will be written up because the owners are so deep in denial about how the daily operations of their own company and are driving their company into the grave. They recently raised the starting pay to $11.00/hour, but failed to raise the pay for the people that have put years of dedication and hard work into the company. To put it into  more... perspective, I have been with the company for a total of 5 years and I make $1.00 more than the new hires. I go for days without eating and have to have 2 jobs just to get by. Pay your employees enough to live a good life. We are struggling! Listen and take our suggestions to heart. We are on the front lines every single day. Take our feedback to heart. Your employees are your greatest asset, invest in us and your return will be astounding if you do so. You have many excellent employees who only want to see the Natural Grocers thrive, myself included. It's incredibly disheartening to be treated so horribly. We are literally screaming out for your support. It's a great start to raise the starting wage, but what about your employees who have dedicated years to your company? Those are the people you need to pay attention to. Moreover, be upfront and honest in interviews about the demands of the job. What I was told in my interview was not in alignment with the actuality in the slightest. Here's a couple more suggestions you should take seriously:

- Hire people to be JUST cashiers. This will enable your managers and other Good4U crew to get their job completed. If you pull people in hundreds of directions, nothing will get done, resulting in product sitting in the backroom for days, equating to lost sales.

-Reimburse your employees for education. I'm sure you're aware this is to your benefit as well as you can claim a substantial amount on your taxes!

-Get out of denial and get real with yourselves and your expectations. Everyone will be better off.
Pros
Vitamin bucks, 401k plan, health insurance
Cons
Awful management, poor pay, horrible daily operations, lazy, careless employees, horrible owners
My experience thus far.
Produce Clerk/Good 4 You Crew (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJuly 31, 2018
I have worked in grocery/retail for the last eighteen years, I started right after I graduated from high school. I eventually learned to run nearly every different department in my store, and in 2005 trained as a 2nd ASM (Assistant Store Manager). I wasn't chosen for the position at the time, but I did become my stores first PIC (Person in Charge) a manager without the title or salary. I was passed up twice more in my time there, both times to people without my knowledge or experience.

Fast forward to today and I have been with Natural Grocers for nearly three months. When I signed on I was told that there is plenty of opportunities within this company to promote and move into management, especially with my experience. A few weeks in and my assistant manager told me the Dairy manager position would soon be open and that he would let me know when I could apply for it. A few more weeks pass and my store manager then tells me she just posted the grocery/dairy/bulk foods assistant manager position. She tells me to apply for it and to let her know as soon as I do. So here I was thinking I might have an actual shot at being promoted this time, boy was I wrong. Several weeks go by with no word about my interview or anything related to either position. Then on a certain Tuesday I asked my manager about my interview, she tells me we will do it that Sunday. On Friday (my manager was off that day conveniently), my assistant manager calls me to the office. Long story short he tells me that my interview will not be happening, because both he and the store manager thought that I
  more... wasn't ready for the responsibility, that I had things to "improve". One thing in particular was that I didn't finish my work in produce fast enough to help the other departments out. Even though, conveniently they are too busy to help me out. My manager would later add that while my work was "good", it wasn't "great". I wasn't exemplary, or didn't think like a manager should. When I'm caught up in the produce department, I should be looking for something else to do elsewhere. Or try to finish my work early to be able to help everyone else out. She also said that because of my "apparent" shortcomings that she could not honestly recommend me for promotion.

So here I am playing second fiddle again, the thing that irritates me the most is the scheming behind the scenes. If they didn't want me to apply, why tell me in the first place. Or if there are things they think I need to work on, let me know beforehand. But don't tell me to apply if you have no intention of even interviewing me for the position. I spent the better part of two decades working for a company that screwed me every chance they got. Now I have a feeling it's starting all over again. So I cannot honestly recommend working for this company.
Pros
Employee incentive program "vitamine bucks"
Cons
Petty management, lack of actual training
fun educational conscious place of work
Night Shift Stocker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 25, 2018
management is corporate. a typical day is very busy getting the store prepared for opening. stocking shelves and facing product so its presentable for the customers.
Pros
education
Cons
average pay
ok place to work
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJuly 15, 2018
I liked helping folks make heathier choices. But you can say what you want. Constantly being corrected due to laws. I'm an herbalist, detox specialist. I had so much to offer, But was constantly shut down .
Pros
food discounts are awesome
Cons
Cant speak truths on health

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Natural Grocers. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight