Natural Grocers Employee Reviews

Good starting job
Good 4 U Crew (Current Employee) –  ColoradoNovember 11, 2018
This is a good place for those just entering the work force or the elderly. Most people at this location are nice, however the store has gone through several store managers in the 2 years I have been there. It needs a good long term store manager, and the department managers need to be replaced.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 9, 2018
I was privileged to work in several start up stores when they were building more stores in the area and promoted with each one. There was an incident with Risk Management that was minor; however, caused me to rethink the corporate culture for the overall company. I enjoyed my jobs with this company and would go back to work if given the opportunity.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Crime in the area
great potential, ruined by ego
good4u crew member (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 5, 2018
General manager creates a high stress environment, manufacturing infighting within the crew to achieve goals, turning conversations into confrontations, playing favorites to quell criticism. High stress contributes to high turnover, often with dramatic exits. General manager does not lead by example, but rather is an example of how not to act.

Corporate is disengaged at best and completely ignorant to reality at worst. A good philosophy, but poorly executed. Labor hours so low that we have a skeleton crew, and is rumored to be the case company wide. Does not pay a living wage, with their minimum hovering at a cool $0.25 over state minimum wage, and sets aside part of your wage to be put on a card you can only use in store. Minimal oversight of local store operations, allowing gm's to run amok essentially. Almost weekly technology glitches, wreaking havoc on store operations at almost every level. Almost zero community engagement.
Pros
paid time off, health insurance, discounts
Cons
drama, poor management, low wages for hard work
Not a bad place to work
Assistant Manager Vitamins (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 24, 2018
Great co workers. Pay is not nearly enough for the cost of living in Denver. I never got a raise. I do like the cross training and the teaching style.
They never gave people breaks and scheduled poorly.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  South Aurora ColoradoOctober 24, 2018
The company really doesn't care about there employees. They would rotate schedule and not put employees on correct shift. They never posted the current schedule on current billboard.
Relaxed environment
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 23, 2018
I enjoy working there but have been cashiering for over 7 years and need a change. They have a more relaxed working environment and attire which makes more relaxed overall.
Pros
Vitamin bucks
Cons
Short meal time, 30 minutes
Excellent Pay, Family-like Corporation
GROCERY/BULK MANAGER, (Former Employee) –  OklahomaOctober 23, 2018
I was a grocery manager for almost 2 years and loved every minute of it. The pay is great, the discounts are awesome, and the environment is unmatched. The home office truly cares about the staffs well being and by providing store credit every pay check, they ensure their staff is taken care of. If my new town had a Natural Grocers I'd be there in a heartbeat.
Amazing Company Environment
Produce Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 20, 2018
Natural Grocers really does a good job at building an atmosphere of Health and Fun. Everyone loves their job and works together to keep the store running smoothly while assisting customers in all their needs.
Badly Managed Company and Little Room for Upward Movement
Vitamin Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 19, 2018
The overall store manager was replaced several times while I was there. The pay for every position is not a livable wage unless you live in your parent's home. It could be a great position for college students as well, but only if they increase the hourly wage. One can make easily 4x's the money for less work as a restaurant server.
workplace culture
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 13, 2018
It was a fun place to work it was a laid-back company. The employees of the store made the company. There was not a lot of stress in the job. The dress attire was the best.
Pros
store discounts
Cons
management
Great Employer
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKOctober 9, 2018
Great place to work. Offered many employee perks and benefits. Work schedule flexible. Very good with policy and procedure. Great staff and upper management. I would recommend this job to anyone.
Great company with good values, but can be stressful
Crew Member/Cashier (Produce Assistant Manager) (Current Employee) –  Multiple locationsOctober 7, 2018
Great company to work for if you can handle the stresses of retail. Work days would vary from stocking and being a backup cashier to being primary cashier. Generally there is only one person at the register, so there are many occasions where a second cashier needs to be called up.

While there are tons of opportunities and materials to learn from within the store, there has been - in my experience - minimal effort to educate employees on supplements inventory, which is a major focus of the company. The exception is when a Nutritional Health Coach is available. I only was useful in that department because of my own interest and research on my free time.

I really did enjoy working with others at these stores. The culture seems to attract people who care about something real and who want to get engaged with a more conscious approach to work and the environment. My favorite part of the job was stocking. When there are enough crew members, this task is quite fun and you get to see all the cool products the store carries. It's nice to just arrive and go to work without direction, but that isn't always the case.

The management has been really understanding and caring in each store. They have almost all been good people. It was a delight to see them grow in their roles and an even greater one to watch the stores evolve within their community. Perhaps the most rewarding part of the job is to see customers come in for the first time and feel at home, excited to return. To help educate them on making better health decisions with their diet, lifestyle and teaching them about supplements.
  more...

The hardest part was having to juggle multiple things at once while assisting customers. For example at the register: The phone is ringing, someone is asking me a question, I'm trying to find the PLU codes for these apples, and I'm supposed to upsell some hot item or event, oh but the apples are priced wrong, etc. Some people can handle that, some people cannot.

I believe in this company and its growth, but I feel it has a lot of room for improvement. Mostly in regards to how it is managed. I would highly recommend this job to anyone who enjoys or can tolerate retail experience. 4/5 stars
Pros
$1/hr store credit, great discounts, laid back and accepting environment, plenty of opportunities for growth
Cons
short breaks, no part-time health benefits, low staff volume
If You're Offered a Job Here, Run.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Downtown Salt LakeOctober 3, 2018
Want to stand on your feet all day, 0 stimulation, not allowed to use your phone for so much as a calculator, and screamed at over rules you didn't know existed by management your whole shift? Great! Natural Grocers is the place for you!

If you're working here to get through college, you get the opportunity to be treated like you "aren't committed to the store" because of your studies by bitter 30-and-overs who barley made it through high school. If your higher-ups or department managers want to leave early, congrats! You get forced to do 4 hours worth of their job AND get yelled at for "not doing" yours! Not great at communicating healthily? Even better! Management is fluent in passive aggression and unnecessary outbursts of anger here at NGVC.

A typical day here starts off with clocking in and instantly being assigned a task in a department you don't work in because the department manager just doesn't feel like doing anything other than snacking and lingering in the break room or watch like the front end like a hawk from the window in the upstairs management office. Expect to do that for anywhere from 2-5 hours. Want your first break? Don't expect management to give it to you. If you don't ask, they act like the break doesn't exist. Want to smoke a cigarette on your break? Don't worry, you'll be yelled at for it the second you walk back in. Also, unless two higher-ups weren't present when you asked for a break, one will be happy to accuse you of "just walking off whenever you felt like it". Eventually, when you get to do the work you actually signed up for, you get
  more... the pleasure of being nitpicked! If you're so bold as to strike up a conversation with a regular who has made multiple comments to management about how the conversations they have here are always nice and make grocery shopping fun, management, who says we're all about satisfying and making repeat customers would really rather you just shut up, after all, you're just a cashier and they "promise you, no one cares what you have to say". Ok, your shift is almost over and it's time to count your till. A different higher-up will come with you and tell you a different way to do it every time and that every previous way you've been told to do it by all the other higher-ups is wrong. Finally, you're free to go home feeling tired, degraded and unappreciated, and get ready to do that all over again for 40+ hours a week.

But in all seriousness, the $11 an hour and extra $1 in store credit you make for every hour you work is not worth any of what I went through in my time at NGVC. It is a monotonous, slow-paced, and emotionally tiring place to work, ridden with hidden arbitrary "rules" management enforces depending on whether or not they like you. Management does not communicate with each other well, let alone with their other employees. The front of "not being super corporate" is gone your second day on the job, and management will pounce on you for any write-up they can muster. Company morale is nonexistent and everyone talks about everyone behind their backs and tries to make weird alliances with each other.

Worst of all- I was called up to the manager's office and yelled at and degraded for being "socially awkward" with a costumer... who didn't even make a complaint. The assistant manager just partially overheard. I have a condition, one that is covered under the ADA of 1990 that this is a key feature of, and management knew that. Never, in all my life, have I walked out of a job, but that incident sent me over the edge, and I left for my last ten minute break of the day and never returned.
The whole store is very dysfunctional and toxic environment that no amount of discounted vegan snacks can ever make up for.
Pros
employee discount, birthday is a paid day off, they don't connect you outside of work
Cons
horribly inappropriate, dysfunctional, and immature management.
Fun work place.
Nutritional Health Coach (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAOctober 2, 2018
There is a nice work life balance here at Natural Grocers. They do really care about their employees here. The work environment is fun and relaxed. There is room for advancement in every position.
My Job
Vitamin Manager (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXSeptember 26, 2018
I liked working with the people and the public. I did not like to have to work late or holidays. I have children at home and the hours involve alot of night and weekends.
Management tried, but is terrible.
body care department manager (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTSeptember 22, 2018
Corporate very obviously doesn't support military members or their training schedules. They found any reason to illegally write me up so they can fire me, despite my hard proof. All near my 4 week training period with my unit. Despite 4 valid points of which they violated, I left due to the feeling of a hostile work environment. Pay was great though. One word: lawsuit.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, corporate.
Only good perks
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe NMSeptember 22, 2018
Bad training from day one. They could not even explain why they were going in 3 processes for customers returns. Which in modern programs would have been taken out at reg.
They are not organized on any level.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Training and management
Great job
Produce Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids,IASeptember 18, 2018
I enjoyed this job within a month of me being there I was promoted from a good for you crew member to a produce assistant manager. The management was not good they seemed to favor only a few departments when it came to cleaning and facing the store.
Pros
Benefits, great pay, loved my coworkers
Cons
Poor management
A kind place to work
Good4u Crew member (Current Employee) –  Mission, KSSeptember 17, 2018
As soon as I got there, I felt welcomed. My managers remind me constantly that they appreciate me helping them even when we get out late and I don’t do anymore than I’m supposed to do for that day. It makes me feel like I’m getting paid to be apart of a little family.
Pros
Discounts, Pto, non-PTO, fair breaks
Cons
Keeping up with some customer expectations can be difficult
decent place to work
Department Manager/Manager on Duty/Buyer (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXSeptember 16, 2018
They provide great Training, great benefits and have some of the best customers! Encourages a healthy lifestyle and eating habits.. Enjoyed my fellow employees.
Pros
Employee Benefits
Cons
Management was not professional

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Natural Grocers. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight