Natural Grocers Pay & Benefits reviews

Productive and fun work place
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 24, 2019
I loved working at Natural Grocers , the pay for the cost of living in Austin was not the best, but that’s the country we live in . The other employees were mostly nice, the customers were also.
Would not recommend.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOApril 28, 2019
The job was good for the first couple months but like all work places there is drama, a few managers were rude and always had a hateful attitude, it's near impossible to actually get to do anything around the store, terrible schedules, I would not recommend this job to anybody.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Short breaks, no health care, poor management
Good place to work with Good benefits
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COApril 24, 2019
Good management team who care about their employees. Good teams in the store. Loved working here! You get vitamin bucks which is a benefit, 1 dollar for every hour you work that gets loaded to a giftcard, which you can spend every other week when you get paid.
Pros
Vitamin Bucks, discounts, co workers
Cons
not great health benefits, work weekends, but you get that with retail.
Not a good place to be
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 18, 2019
Employees are treated like dirt. The company is notoriously known, throughout all locations, for grossly understaffing their stores. Inconsistent policies throughout that don't apply to all. Benefits are poor and 'vitamin bucks' are not as good as they seem (it's taxed income. So you are basically paying to shop there). Pay is poor. Stores are so busy and understaffed that it's not possible to work on assigned tasks, so the store lays in disarray and disorganization. Hours change and the company does not only provide poor pay rates but hours are only 37/38hrs a week. 401k is only given at 'discretionary' amount. The company does not protect employees against harassment from abusive customers. Atmosphere in the store is oppressive, a mess with inappropriate music playing at all times way too loudly. Nothing is done about theft in the store. Hard work and initiative is not rewarded but rather is shunned by managers. Some 'managers on duty' are incompetent, lazy, free-loaders and behave inappropriately. Don't recommend as a good place to work.
Natural Grocers
Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARApril 16, 2019
Great place to work with career advancements available. Decent benefits availible, company contributions to HSA and 401k. Lots of support from the home office.
it's an ok to work
Produce Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  TXApril 11, 2019
It's a pretty easy job to work at but when it gets busy it is a little stressful, also wish the managers were more hands with each department and sometimes the scheduling didn't make sense such as when they make you close one day and the next day open.
Pros
discounts, health care
Cons
scheduling, management
Enjoyable work environment and solid company
Assistant Wellness Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 8, 2019
I enjoyed my time working for Natural Grocers. I was able to both enjoy my coworkers, complete my "required" work, and get to interact with customers.
Pros
Relaxed environment, decent pay, solid benefits within the store
Cons
short breaks, boring at times
Amazing Place to Work.....if your manager is good
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXMarch 21, 2019
I worked at Natural Grocers for 2 Years, I started as a Store Support and ended my time as the Grocery Manager. By the time I left I felt like I had helped build the store up to where it was and that feeling is irreplaceable. I worked along side my manager and felt important from the beginning.

HOWEVER, there are certain stores out there with poor management and since Natural Grocers treats all of their employees with great respect it is hard to terminate bad employees and/or managers.

So if you are looking for the best retail job with upwards mobility look no further. Just please report to the HR department if you feel your management is lacking.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Promotions
Cons
Not for the weak-willed
Great Company
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 15, 2019
The employees are well taken care of, corporate places a great emphasis on nutrition education and making sure that their employees are successful. Lots of great employee benefits including AMAZING discounts.
A mid level job with alright pay and benefits
Stocker and Cashier (Former Employee) –  TXMarch 12, 2019
Pretty average grocery store job. Lots of stocking shelves or standing behind a register.

The cool part about Natural Grocers is that they give you health classes on the nutrient of the month! They also give pretty good discounts and plenty of freebies from reps
Good for discount & vague health inspiration
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COMarch 10, 2019
I enjoyed wearing casual clothes and occasionally getting free vendor shirts to supplement my wardrobe. I got the most mileage out of the discount on food and supplements, which saved me a ton of money. While it's great to work around all the health food and vitamins, it's also hard to believe it's a health food store when you look at the mostly unhealthy staff. Some people--mostly people that work in vitamins--are healthy and helpful resources for customers, most of the employees don't practice what the store preaches on health and wellness. It's just a job for most staff and they typically know little if ANYTHING about the products--which makes it hard for them to help customers effectively. On occasion, we had potlucks and birthday cakes and holiday treats for each other and I had many, many good laughs with good co-workers as we worked our shifts.

One of the most difficult challenges is that several managers are friends with upper management and are not held accountable for staying busy and productive like the regular staff. This is bad for morale and sets a bad example and you can often find manager buddies standing around in the back room or locked in the office upstairs gabbing for hours every week. Other managers and upper managers can even shirk their responsibilities and never be held accountable either--like ignoring the ringing phone, or ignoring cashier intercom pages for backup--even if it's reported to upper management for a coaching opportunity. It's frustrating and demoralizing and it'll burn you out eventually, because you, as a regular staffer, will be
  more... required to stay busy all the time and be happy as a clam, while random other regular staff gets away with standing around and chatting with managers and you get mediocre annual reviews, regardless of your effort.

Yes, the company pays better than minimum wage but that's not saying much. They love to brag about how generous they are, by paying employees STORE CREDIT of $1/hour worked, on top of their wages. This 'extra' money, however, is taxed on your paycheck just like regular pay, yet you can't use this store credit to pay your car payment or utility bill! Being forced to use part of your compensation exclusively at "the company store" is not the same as paying you an extra dollar of income per hour and is frustrating for those of us who want to buy groceries at whatever brand of store we choose. Most importantly--on this note--the company claims that taking care of their employees is a core company value, yet they refuse to allow merit raises and when they occasionally increase the starting pay for new hires by $1/hr, they fail to raise the wages of the rest of the tenured staff by the same amount--effectively negating multiple, hard-earned raises that took them years to earn from this cheap company. Cheap is appropriate in some cases in business, but soon enough, new people are making almost as much as you are, after years and years of hard work and dependability and increasing your value to the bottom line. I would only recommend this job to retirees needing supplemental income, or as a first job for a person right out of high school or college--someone who needs work experience and a paycheck and is less concerned about being paid a livable wage or expecting to equal treatment and accountability amongst all employees, including managers.

Typical days can include working in any or every department, depending on staffing needs. FYI, there's no accountability or consequences for perpetual call-offs, as long as it's not a "no call, no show" so you might have to do two people's jobs on any given day. On the flip side, there is no reward for being extremely reliable, consistent and changing your schedule at the last moment to help management accommodate random call-offs, so don't throw away your plans and offer to cover for other people: it's not worth it. Also, there is no "cleaning crew" at night, so be prepared to clean some toilets on occasion. That was no problem, except that at least half the time, the vacuum is broken and if you are a closer and are assigned to "do the rugs," you will have to 'sweep' the rugs with a broom: this can take up to 45 minutes, so I hope you have a strong back! The company would sometimes go months before providing a new vacuum, so brace yourself.

The Pueblo store has also experienced frequent breakdowns of freezers and coolers, and cash registers, so don't be surprised if you have suddenly drop what you're doing to go help on a back-up register or pull everything out of a cooler and put it into baskets and keep it in the walk-in coolers/freezers until their fixed...whenever the company feels like it. These breakdowns are no secret to customers, and it damages some products and makes for a horrible shift for staff that has to dig out yogurt cups, bacon, or cheese packs from stuffed baskets, which is not only additional work for staff, but it makes for difficult, time-consuming customer shopping experiences.

Sure, I had fun with customers and staff and learned a lot--but I learned a lot because I learned on my own time and it didn't get rewarded with additional pay. Don't work yourself to the bone trying to become a master genius at your job, because you would have to do it on your own time and your own dime and you can't get paid your proper value--the company won't allow it in the pay structure.
Pros
occasional free swag or products from vendors; casual environment
Cons
short 10 minute breaks, and (unhealthy) 30 minute lunch break; no extra pay for working harder
Loved the Job; At First
Cashier (Former Employee) –  TexasFebruary 6, 2019
At first, this job was great Easy going. Great atmosphere. Then they made me do an allergy test. Come to find out they do not take very well care of their employees with food allergies.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Better not have food allergies
Better than most grocery stores
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXFebruary 4, 2019
The pay is slightly better than a lot of grocery stores, and you learn a lot of useful information that you can use outside of work. Wide variety of customers; some were very elitist and picky, but the majority were very cool. Coworkers were easy to get along with for the most part. No dress code other than an apron over your regular clothes. Pretty laid back environment all around. The employee discounts were the best out of anywhere I've ever worked, which was awesome because some of the stuff they sell can be very pricey.
Unfortunately they decided to switch their insurance to a less desirable one than they previously had, which caused a lot of employees with medical issues to have to leave. After people started leaving, they made up for this by giving the lower level workers a 50 cent raise, but raises in general were always slow to come. I think the owners are starting to get greedy and just want to build as many new stores as possible as fast as possible and decided to fund their little expansion project by cutting costs on employee benefits.
Pros
Great employee discounts, many opportunities for personal enrichment
Cons
No set days off, schedule changed frequently, inadequate insurance
A fine in-between; Not a career
Produce Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 25, 2019
I had a really fun time working for Natural, especially when I first started. I was with a great team and encouraging managers. It took a downturn as management switched up. Eventually, I was running a deparmtent alone, overworked and underpaid. The regional manager had no intelligence or forethought when it came to hiring. I saw many employees come and go the last 6 months I worked there, even store manager(s). The job is enjoyable enough, the pay is decent, and you can create great relationships with your coworkers and customer base.
Just don't take it too seriously.
Pros
Amazing Discount, Good People, Benefits
Cons
Inconsistent Schedule, Company Culture
fast paced, extremely sales oriented, great team
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 10, 2019
I worked there for about a year, the pay was not great however there is vitamin bucks (for every hour you work you get a dollar of in store credit) which made it worth it. They will not be able to accommodate your personal life. Customers are very rude, but that's with all retail. Discounts are great.
Pros
vitamin bucks, discounts, good team
Cons
long hours, pay, customers
This job was a temporary job for me
During internship (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJanuary 5, 2019
I enjoyed working here and learning so much about heatlh and products! I would have loved to stayed but the pay wasnt as good as I needed to survive and I had to relocate and finish school at the time
Pros
Discounts, health knowledge
Cons
pay wasnt great
Lovely Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Parker, COJanuary 5, 2019
I was a cashier at Natural Grocers for only a couple of months. I had to quit because I moved cross country, but I would have loved to stay here as long as I could. Every employee I met was very friendly and patient with me. My training was flawless and I felt confident knowing that my trainer had years of experience there. My manager was super kind and understanding, I never heard him so much as raise his voice at an employee. The best part of working here was the discount on groceries and I was paid a dollar an hour in just store credit. I would not hesitate to apply here if you are thinking about it.
Good culture, poor structure
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 29, 2018
I enjoyed working in the health food industry and appreciate the food ethics and education that Natural Grocers implents. Unfortunately they have a poor structure for a grocery store. We we’re consistently staffed at the bare minimum. Promotions happened rapidly and often prematurely without proper training. Compensation was poor compared to other health food stores. My responsibilities were not reasonable.
The ordering system crashed frequently and the sale prices were not consistent with the register.
Pros
Discounts, co-workers, good food ethics
Cons
Poor management, poor training, skeleton crew
Could be better
Cashier/customer service/ (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 27, 2018
new management isn't good here. Can be a good place to work with the right people. Regular customers are very nice however you get a lot of mean ones too its good to know how to handle that professionally if you are considering working here.
Pros
discounts
Cons
not aloud to be in school, not aloud to have a second job or life apparently
One of the worst jobs I've had
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMDecember 14, 2018
Poor training, minimal at best communication from home office. Unrealistic expectations based on poor training. Inconsistent and never-ending hours for salary management. Hypocrisy is rampant across the entire store, its core beliefs, and eveything Natural Grocers supposedly stands for. Unless you want to be given vague instructions and through into a meat grinder day in and day out, held accountable for things that are outside your control, and be told on an almost minute to minute basis why the store sucks and why you suck by customers then by all means apply.
Pros
Vita bucks and discounts
Cons
Just about everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Natural Grocers. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight