Natural Grocers

United States730 reviews

Clear
3.2Pay & Benefits

vitaminnaturalbuckvitabucksstoregroceryngvcdiscount

What is the best part of working at the company?Good Benefits & PayWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?To many Department Managers telling other employees what to do. Time line, on ordering products. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Environment was good & I am not about culture. What is a typical day like for you at the company?You clocked in & went to your Department & started your daily job functions & actively assisted Customers throughout the Store.

Very strong ethics and care for crew

I recently just put in my notice at this company and it almost broke my heart. NG is an amazing company to work for who really care about their crew. Could they be a little more organized? Yes. Could they have better computer systems for ordering, cashiering, and back end tasks. Yes. But no job is perfect and I’ve always rolled with the punches because I knew I was valued. I will truly miss working for this company. If you want to work for a company who will invest in your development and notice your hard work, then I would highly suggest applying.

Pros

Discount, room for promotion, benefits, easy to transfer locations, very thorough training programs, work/life balance for store management

Cons

Outdated/confusing computer systems

Natural Grocers insights

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Support from manager

The company has a wonderful mission statement and ideology but it is not followed by their employees.

I did not have favorable experience with management at this company. I was micromanaged by 4 different people, no one was on the same page, there were definite biases and it was an environment of decisiveness not diversity which made it difficult to work in.

Pros

Employees, customers, benefits

High Workload, High Stress

There is no position in this company that doesn’t require cashiering and no management position that doesn’t have too deal with money pertaining to the cash registers and safe. They constantly take the staff from other departments to be backup cashiers and are constantly called up to cashier so nothing gets done in the departments they’re supposed to be working in so always feel like you don’t have adequate help. It’s extremely stressful and frustrating. It’s the only store I’ve worked at that runs like this. If they would change those two aspects and run it like a normal grocery store it would be infinitely better. That being said, they offer benefits for full timers and the employee discount plus vita bucks which is an extra dollar an hour that’s paid to you on a card that you can only spend at the store does make shopping there affordable.

Ok place to work

Decent place held down by corporate oversight. Lots of manual labor if you dont end up stuck on a register. Not much room for advancement available here.

Good place to work. Great pay and benefits. Learned a lot, worked with good people. Easy to advance if you work hard. Sets the tone for a healthy lifestyle and gives you the tools to encourage it.

Company cares about the environment and encourages its employees to care.

Have to punch a time clock, no overtime, a big part of the job is retail work and customer service. The pay is really low and there is not a lot of advancement opportunities but NHCs do get their own office and the health and supplement education is huge.

Pros

Health education, supplement education, casual attire, store discounts, health insurance

Cons

Have to punch a Timeclock, short breaks, retail, low pay, monthly quotas for outreach and classes

They get you with the benefits

they get you with the benefits that arent even that good, terrible management and even worse owners who only value profit and lost the mission their parents created for the company, management gaslights crew during staff shortages and overworks them to make up for it. All fluff.

Official response from Natural Grocers

October 3, 2022
Sorry to hear you didn’t get the level of support you expected. We do have a lot of unique and fun perks and benefits including but not limited to in-store credit & discount, insurance, EAP, career development, birthday bonus pay, and regularly scheduled pay increases.

Not for the future

If you are young there are better options out there than natural grocers. They do not offer training, education and fair compensation. This is not a job to stay at for a long time but is alright for a short period.

No plastic bags great for the earth

This is one of the best jobs I have ever had.managment was extremely kind and they definitely make u feel seen and important.If you ever get a chance to work for them do it Also a great place to shop best meats eggs vitamins health food and reverse osmosis water for 50 cents a gallon

Pros

Pto

Fun place to work.

I loved working at Natural Grocers. The benefits are great and the owners care about their employees. It’s a very laid back job and you learn a lot about healthy lifestyle.

Pros

Great company

Cons

Too easygoing as far as company rules.

Stressful Environment with Toxic Employees

Not a good place to work. Bad leadership. Chaos everyday because of callouts and short staffed. Shelves are empty so a lot of cranky customers. Won't shop there anymore as well.

Benefits

Cons

To expensive, understaffed, over worked

Opportunities for Advancement, Not Enough Compensation for Work

It's a good place to work if you have a lot of drive and self-determination. Some of the benefits are great, like the in-store discount for employees, but other benefits are difficult to budget due to the low salary compensation. It has opportunities for advancement that can lead to greater pay and greater responsibilites, but may also come with greater stress.Store management is disorganized and seems hesitant to discipline individuals who fall short of the expectations asked of them, leaving department managers to complete the tasks left unfinished. The company culture is questionable, promoting high quality food standards while providing low quality compensation for the amount of work demanded of employees.

A lot of good people

The upper management is definitely corrupt, but managers are great. Pay is pretty fair. Work culture is fairly healthy, the benefits are pretty good.

It's a fun place to work. Just dont trust that you're job is secure.

Fun place to work. Great Benefits. Owners are awesome. Many opportunities for growth. Hr team looks out for their best interests and won't admit they were wrong.

Pros

$1 in store credit for every hour worked. Great discount. Great store culture.

Cons

Poor HR team, they take witness statements over actual proof. When they know you were wrongfully terminated, they try to cover it up.

Meh

Solid pay for part-time, but management was always micromanaging. The coworkers were amazing people, but management always had to damper the positive energy. Too many call-outs every day, but if you don't care about being overworked/ burned out then it's okay.

Pros

Discounts, coworkers, products

Cons

compensation for the amount of work, management.

Store manager is really nice and tries his best.

I enjoy all of my co workers but some of them are lazy. The store manager tries his best to help every department and give them the support they need. Turn over is high so it’s hard to keep up with everything but he doesn’t make us feel bad for it and defends us from upper management. Wish the pay and benefits were better though.

Pros

Great store manager

Cons

Always short staffed and needs better pay for the area

Depends on management

I had a good experience overall. I liked the people and the workplace culture is very positive and uplifting. It is fairly easy to move up and I had a good experience with the management. It seems like your experience really depends on your store manager/ how busy the location is.The location I worked at was unfortunately consistently busy and understaffed which is why I left. It looks like the situation is similar at other stores, from what I have heard from other employees.. Could easily be a good job, but I think corporate needs to pay more attention to what employees need. More staff and better pay for employees, especially cashiers. They also require you to receive part of your paycheck in "Vitamin Bucks" which you can only spend at the store.

Pros

Culture, good managers, easy to move up

Cons

Understaffed, pay is less than average, company scrips

Great people to work with.

Natural Grocers is one of the bereft places to work in retail. They are an amazing community and will train you well. There danced to always be room for advancement, it tacky deepens on the person. You Andi get stong tracking that will be Acme to help you with your health and interactions with costumers.

Pros

People, community

Benefits

Unethical and unprofessional company

Natural Grocers underprices other natural food stores by understaffing and putting unrealistic expectations on Managers and staff. Their wages are far below industry average and their benefits are poor at best. They put pressure on staff to upsell supplements and promote store initiatives to all customers, despite not having enough staff to do the basic job duties of stocking and providing customer service. Natural Grocers has incredibly high turnover at all levels. After working for them for several years and being asked to move up to be a Store Manager, I was fired as a result of having to miss a week of work to care for a family member who was very ill with Covid. Profits before people at Natural Grocers!

Hippie Vibes, laid back

Corporate office. Zero structure, every department is a one man’s job, nobody knows what’s going on, stuck in the 80’s Isley family is awesome but afraid to join the new age. It’s nice to work for a company that respects their employees, and genuinely cares for them, and teaches them all about health and pays $80/biweekly for groceries. They also have the worst health insurance $3000 deductible, low pay. Bathrooms are constantly out of order because they are too cheap to fix the plumbing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Natural Grocers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Natural Grocers with

Natural Grocers reviews by popular job title

• Natural Grocers