Natural Retreats Employee Reviews

Incredibly accessible upper management with great communication
General Manager (GM) (Current Employee) –  Pigeon Forge, TNJanuary 28, 2019
I'm quite shocked at the negative tone and almost hostile comments by some clearly disgruntled former employees. I can't speak to their past or specific issues but I can from what I know of this company as it is currently. Hearing one side of an issue allows that one to posture as though they only speak the truth and go without challenge. I have 25 years in lodging, 20 of those years in my current market, and 14 of the 20 in this market have been vacation/cabin property management. This company has been far and above the most organized, transparent, supportive and accessible of any I have experienced in quite some time. I have great access from my immediate supervisor all the way to the CEO if needed. I have met more than once with the two top officers in the company and they have been only open, personable, sincere, and supportive in every meeting. As with most public platforms it seems the naysayers gain the most stage time. That's unfortunate, this company is right on track and a pleasure to work with an for. Do not put credit into the words of those that simply want to hand off accountability for their discontent. You can't hand off accountability without also handing off some credibility. This is a sold organization shot through with sincerity at every level of the org chart. It is a pleasure to be here and I intend to stay a LONG time.
Pros
They do not micromanage!
Cons
Honestly none
Poor management
Past (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 27, 2019
Hands down the worst company I have ever worked for! Immature senior management. Have no experience in property management. They constantly asked that you do not go to HR for any issues as they want to ALWAYS sweep everything under the rug. The senior manager was going on vacations with HR representatives, so you would never have a neutral person to speak with. Extremely toxic. They do not hold up HR policy’s. You can do everything that is asked of you and they will always say it was not done right or you should have done it differently even though you completed the task as asked!

Avoided this company at all costs. NOT worth your time.
Pros
Vacation
Incompetent Management
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Palm Springs, CADecember 24, 2018
Would you like to work in an office where you are coached by your immature and inexperienced manager to not contact Human Resources in regards to an employee who showed other employees inappropriate photos on a regular basis? How about having your compensation plan revealed in May when the sales year started in January? Or how about having your manager threaten to write you up for taking a sick day after you suffered a mild heat stroke after touring a potential client through an estate during a 120 degree heatwave? Do you like working with software that operates with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles circa 2003? This is a bush league company to be avoided at all costs.
Pros
Finally finding the courage to leave
Cons
Inexperienced management
Awful management and morals
Sales (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 14, 2018
This company ignored for years of complaints on an employee who was sexually assaulting many co workers. Incompetent management, retaliation, cover ups, and lack of morals. As quickly as they promise you a great commission “scheme” (as they call it) , they’re quick to punish you should you have any issues with another employee. Bottom line; bad management and false promises. Wheel is always changing there, one day you’re on board with their plans, and the next they change them. I know many employees who were personally victimized, because they spoke against certain policies, schedules, inappropriate employees etc.
Cons
everything
Official response from Natural Retreats
December 18, 2018

Dear Former Employee,

We are committed to a fair and respectful workplace where our team members are never subjected to inappropriate behavior, are encouraged to speak up, and are never retaliated against for voicing concerns. When inappropriate behavior has been reported, quick actions are taken to investigate and discipline those team members. Assault, retaliation or coverups are definitely not part of our culture and will not be tolerated.

Things at Natural Retreats do change quickly. We are a growing business and the work of hospitality can be chaotic and demanding. Our Core Values are based on communication, transparency, consistency and trust. While you may have heard differently from employees you worked with in the past, I can assure you that these values are in place and encouraged every day. We truly value team members who can adapt and grow with us.

While we aren’t able to address specific situations here, I would encourage you to reach out to any member of the Human Resources team to discuss any issues directly. We would be happy to speak with you.

Productive and stimulating work environment
Private Concierge (Current Employee) –  Park City, UTDecember 1, 2018
Wonderful staff and management. Extremely supportive. Everyone within the company is supportive and want me to learn. We all share the same work ethic and office values that helps with everyday challenges.
A Great Opportunity
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Park City, UTJuly 25, 2018
I've seen this company go through its share of evolutionary stages. I would say it's in it's most exciting stage yet.

The opportunity lies in its size, the level of responsibility it trusts with its employees and the effort to promote within.

The benefits are generous and thoughtfully weighed - between trips to our destinations for familiarization and Professional Development, they do a good job of keeping their employees on the rise.

The culture and the employees are the backbones, it's quite a family.
Pros
Benefits, Vacation Perks, Professional Development, Growing business, A lot of Respect and Responsibility, Hospitality is a fun business
Cons
Requires a lot of patience - still going through growing pains - you end up wearing a lot of hats
Not a loyal company. Cloak and dagger mentality.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Toxaway, NCMarch 29, 2017
Very disloyal and dishonest company. The upper management do not follow through with their promises. They are imcompitant. They also do not pay their bills, and continue to buy more property instead. They suck.
Pros
N/a
very unstable working conditions
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Sevierville, TNFebruary 27, 2017
They struggle to pay their employee. the job its self is very rewarding but the managers and staff are not helpful. you are on your own.
Pros
Cons
no breaks, expensive heath care ect..
That was a waste of my time
here today gone tomorrow (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 20, 2017
They bring you in with promises of great benefits and travel opportunities. Senior managers who have no idea how others jobs are done attempt to manage without ever asking how long something might take They actually hired my position and eliminated the position in the same month. Everything is a big secret and then they want it done overnight.
Pros
travel
Cons
no input
Looks can be deceiving
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 9, 2016
There seems to be a lot of false promises and under delivering on over promised items. Financials seem to be a mess and the leadership is extremely disappointing. I would not recommend working for this company unless you are looking for a stepping stone to a better company.
Great team and benefits, hard work with great pay off
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 20, 2016
Rapidly growing business with the same sorts of growing pains as most other growing businesses I've worked for. Often its really hard work but that's re-paid to you with fantastic benefits and vacation allowance including a free stay at 1 of the managed retreats each year, and being able to leave early every now and again to go to a doctors appointment without taking a vacation day isn't frowned on. Managers have always supported me and every month there is some sort of a social event where you can get to know your team mates a bit better and enjoy a drink or 2. Yes, there are some issues as some of the other reviewers write, but I choose to be part of creating solutions rather than problems and rarely is the grass greener elsewhere anyway.

It pays off to be flexible, approachable and have a grab the bull by the horns approach.
Pros
Benefits, rapid growth, great co-workers
Cons
rapid growth, communication can improve
Poor Leadership, Bad Business Model
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 28, 2016
The company is bent on growth. Even when they're not prepared for acquisition and have no methodical plan for how to take on new locations.
The day to day work environment is casual. There seemed to be little urgency and things could usually be put off till the next day with no hard deadlines. Meetings and reporting were inconsistent.

Management seemed to be disconnected from the day to day operations and held an idealistic view of the company's state instead of realizing the problems and making plans to improve. They would often impose ideas/initiatives that were out of line with the current needs.

Co-workers are friendly and kind. There is an emphasis on drinking and partying. 4 or 5 beers per person during a 1 hour in office social is acceptable. If you want to have a good time, travel, go to cool places and be compensated well, this could be a fun company. If you want to build marketable skills and have something to show for your time invested... look elsewhere.

The hardest part of the job was the incompetent management. "Stuff rolling down hill" and blaming entry level employees for problems that were really management's errors. Firing of staff with little to no hand off made for many headaches while picking up the pieces and combined with poor introduction of new staff/management fostered a toxic culture.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the generous PTO and holiday time. It was kind of work hard and then take a three day weekend and forget about all the problems environment.
Pros
Unlimited Sick Time, 15+ days PTO, Generous Benefits
Cons
Poor Leadership, High Turnover
Great people
Sales (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 7, 2016
Entrepreneurial environment with great people who enjoy their jobs. I have really enjoyed my time with Natural Retreats. I work remote.