Naturescape Employee Reviews

Toxic work environment
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 12, 2019
Constant micromanaging (they even listen in on your sales phone calls and make sure you are reading from their sales pitch sheet). Very unrealistic goals that encourage cutting corners, skipping breaks, and doing poor quality work. You actually have to fill out a write up each week on why you did not make the goal even though it is often out of your control. They have unsafe equipment and very little help from mechanics in fixing it. You are likely to work a long physical day with a van or truck that barely runs and does not even have air conditioning. Pay is low and constant loopholes to eliminate earned bonuses. The company actually makes you pay for your pesticide license which is required to work there. Most of the corporate office has never done the work that the employees perform. They constantly change plans last minute to try and cover the constant employee turnover they have because of their poor treatment of employees. To them, you are only a number and they have zero worries about your well being and family life. I not only feel bad for the employees that are still with them but also for the customers that get poor service because of their poor management. Their fear tactics scare away any good employees.
Pros
Winter off when not doing snow removal, stay in shape
Cons
Micromanaging, poor corporate management, low pay and quality of life
Easy going employees
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILMarch 15, 2019
Seasonal work only, if you just need that, then go there. Didn't care to have to pay for the certification. More worried about the points system and sales, then the employees.
Pros
good pay
Cons
seasonal only, pay for certification
April 12, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! It is always our intention to offer as much work throughout the season as is possible. However, availability of work during the off-season will necessarily vary from location to location. While we do require specialists to cover the immediate costs of certification, annual reimbursement for this expense is afforded to every specialist who remains employed with Naturescape. Confident, successful employees are the key to our continued growth, and we know that excellent performance and sales can only be expected from such employees. We regret that we didn't have a chance to work with you more closely to help you reach this point while you were employed, but if you feel you have any further information that will improve our ability to help our employees in this way, please reach out to us.

Worst job!!!
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILMarch 14, 2019
JOB SUCKED. No work life balance, lazy managers, they’ll follow you around, so that weird truck following you oh yeah that’s just your branch manager having nothing to do but spy on you. EVERYTHING is your fault!! It pretty much was work, shower, eat, sleep, wake up at 5:30am. Sun up to sundown. They expect you to move like a robot especially aerating like the human body doesn’t get exhausted. JUST STAY AWAY THIS PLACE IS HORRIBLE
Pros
Leaving, 3 day weekend
April 12, 2019

We are sorry to hear that you left with such a negative impression of Naturescape. Oversight of our employees is simply the best way to insure that they are capable and confident in upholding our standards in the field. A truly lazy manager stays behind a desk; we encourage diligent management that has a vested interest in the work of our specialist, and that regularly performs audits in the field to ensure success and customer satisfaction. We also certainly understand that physical labor can be tiring. This is why we require that every specialist take breaks throughout the day to avoid exhaustion. It is our intent that a specialist who takes the required breaks and takes advantage of the 3 day weekend will be capable of performing their duties with comfort and confidence.

Little Company, Big Britches
Lawncare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Machesney Park, ILMarch 13, 2019
Naturescape has the unfortunate knack for making ALL of the mistakes of BOTH a large company and a small company, they are trying to bridge into becoming larger and are making ALL of the WRONG choices for change
April 12, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! Naturescape is a fast-growing company, and we are committed to growth founded on sustainable and compassionate business practices. We're sorry to hear that you feel we are making poor choices along the way, and we hope you will share more with us so that we can understand and try to address your concerns. Please reach out to our HR department so we can discuss this further.

Great job if you love the outdoors and you get paid according to the work you do.
Top 10 specialist (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIFebruary 20, 2019
Naturescape has an very fair starting wage and the potential to rise up in the company through learning the job and actively trying to better your role in the company. Reliable hours and a bonus point system to reward you for your hard work. Are you ever at a job wondering why you aren't getting paid more for getting more work done than expected of you? At Naturescape they recognize this and compensate you accordingly, for that I am definitely a fan.
Pros
great pay, regular schedule, bonus pay
Cons
less hours in the winter
April 12, 2019

Thank you! We’re so glad to hear this; it’s important that all of our employees know how much we appreciate their hard work. We hope your compensation is just one way you felt valued at Naturescape. We will continue to work to bring more winter work opportunities our employees have more opportunities to succeed!

Corporate Problems
Lawn Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Muskego, WIFebruary 15, 2019
My local management has been phenomenal. However with the pressure from being located right next to the corporate branch, they find themselves under stress and scrutiny unlike any other branch. That in turn leads to stress and scrutiny on you as a specialist. The promised hours and winter work were not followed through on, and though some were granted the ‘guaranteed’ winter work. In all, the company has great potential, however the fear of making decisions without consulting a superior manager handicaps everyone all the way up to the Vice Presidents. Give your management some breathing room; you hired them to manage, not to micromanage them.
Pros
Bonuses for work above average. The 401k is great
Cons
Communication is poor. And expectations are poorly conveyed.
March 29, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! We apologize for any impression that we may have given of undue scrutiny or micro-managing. We feel it is integral to the mission of Naturescape (to provide consistent, top-quality service at every location) that we use our resources at every level to monitor and guide the development and success of all of our employees. If you feel that this attention has not been helpful (or even harmful), please believe that this is not our intent, and that we are committed to continually working to provide a comfortable and supportive work environment that helps you to your potential.

We also apologize for any misunderstanding about the winter work. Our intentions are to offer as many opportunities for winter work as possible, but there will always be restrictions due to the availability of work. Clearly, this wasn't communicated well at your location, and we will work to improve the way we communicate vital information to all of our branches.

We’d love for you to reach out to our HR department to discuss your concerns further; so we can create the best possible work environment for you.

Logistical problems
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 3, 2019
This company has more cons than pros. These issues stem from the corporate logistics and get passed down through the employees, eventually to the customers.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Pay, logistics
March 29, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! We are sorry to hear that you were given such a poor impression of our company, and we would like to work with you to change this. We don’t quite know what you mean, however, by “corporate logistics,” and we wonder if you would be willing to reach out to our HR department to discuss this further. We hope that this has simply been a matter of miscommunication, and we look forward to improving the quality of employment here at Naturescape!

Run
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 28, 2018
Easily one of the worst jobs that I've ever had. This company wants their money, and they want their numbers. The rest is what it is. they're so concerned with making these numbers that they will throw employees out on lawns mere days after training, even if they've expressed that they're not 100% comfortable in their role. Situations like these have led to specialists getting injured. I really don't see how this company has managed to stay afloat for the last few years, considering that the turnover rate is ridiculous. So many branches go through managers, specialists, and admins like crazy because the management within the company is so poor. Id you think that this is going to be the easy job that you're looking for then you need to look someplace else. Because all this company is going to do is work you to the point of stress and frustration, to where you have to leave because it's affecting your mental health. They don't listen to the customers or employees, set unrealistic sales goals, and staff with no common sense.
Pros
Co-workers, Customer interaction, some days off
Cons
micromanagement, minimal advancement opportunities, unrealistic sales goals, poor quality products, poor quality training, terrible regional management
March 29, 2019

Properly training our employees to be successful, safe and confident at Naturescape is a top priority. This training is what allows numerous branches to reach or exceed our sales goals year after year while maintaining our standard of excellence, and is the key to our 33 years of continuous growth. We encourage all of our employees to excel and grow with us. We are sorry to hear that you found this environment stressful or frustrating, and we will continue to refine our methods so we can make sure all of our employees are equipped to reach their full potential. We are dedicated to listening to our employees and customers to provide the best possible Naturescape experience!

Creative and hardwork
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLDecember 3, 2018
This job requirements are very simple stay focused be careful and know your surroundings working for naturescape help me to understand life better knowing I can be creative and willing appreciate my work when I'm finished with my job
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Tough Job
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WINovember 28, 2018
The job overall is not a bad job if you are ok working by yourself and can handle the amount of work they throw on you. It's a lot of information you have to learn but unfortunately you only get one week to learn it as a specialist and then one week of OJT. The bonus incentives, pay, and benefits are awesome but most people couldn't hit goal to get the bonuses. If I could have gotten more mechanical training as a manager about fixing issues or things to watch out for I probably would still be working here but unfortunately it's more of a throw things at you and see if you sink or float. That's OK for awhile but especially when you become a manager and aren't mechanically inclined then it becomes more of a problem. The job can get grueling but it's lawn care so it's to be expected but even if you're good at your job other specialists who lag behind or don't put in the effort end up hurting your ability to do the job in the long run (you get their lawns they didn't do and it starts to stretch out your routes).
Pros
401K, Healthcare, Pay, Time Off, Flexible Hours
Cons
Amount of work, Little time in training
April 12, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! We are constantly working to improve and refine our training procedures; we never want an employee to feel anything less than 100% confident in their position. We especially want our branch managers to have the knowledge and capability to effectively manage their branch's staff; done correctly, this minimizes stress for everybody. We wish you could have shared these concerns with our HR department during your employment, but we understand your concerns and will use this information as we continue to improve our working environment.

Landscaper (Former Employee) –  North Canton, OHNovember 23, 2018
The job had great hours I pulled in overtime every week at 11.50/hr
The guys I worked with we're awesome
I learned a lot while doing this job and loved being outside during the summer
Pros
Paid 30min lunch
Cons
Nothing bad
Compared to some jobs, not bad.
Lawn Specialist (Current Employee) –  IndianaNovember 7, 2018
Naturescape honestly isn't a horrible company. I mean its lawn Care, so it is hard work. There will be long hours and very hot days. That's where you should be honest and answer whether you can get past working in the environments or not. Does it need improvement...YES ABSOLUTELY! With that said, I think they would do well to get the feedback from their employees. It feels like we're just a number here and the turnover is ridiculously high! Management isn't as proficient as they expect us to be, and they don't lead by example. (At least in my branch). Some of the things done here seems very scetchy. They should incorporate a way to show their appreciation for employees, not just get on us when not doing good. They stress quantity over quality which is so backwards! They also should do their reviews on time so that people feeling inclined to stick it out. I like the company and the work, but I feel hesitant to look at it as a career because of the lack of communication at times. Also the opportunity to advance is there, but I feel like I'd be unprepared for it. It's not just about the pay increase, it's about feeling competent enough to do the job required and actually make people WANT to come to work! Managers should lead by example not there mouth.
Pros
Flexible schedule, starting pay, benefits
Cons
Lack of support, lack of communication, advancement opportunities.
April 12, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! We're sorry to hear that you don't feel confident in your position. We believe successful employees excel in both quantity and quality, and our customers have come to expect this as well. It is absolutely our goal to provide the necessary training, guidance and support to make sure that you are successful. If there is more work we need to do (with you or any employee) to reach that goal, we are happy to do so. We would love to hear more about some of your concerns. Please reach out to our HR department so we can work with you to improve your work experience. Your success is integral to the success of your branch and our company. We look forward to speaking with you further!

bad management minimal training
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILOctober 6, 2018
if you are interested in part time administrative assistant look somewhere else. This is a sales job. they don't tell you that in training they just expect you to make sales calls all day memorize things you will never be asked and be bored. Advancements are given based on your ability to suck up with the branch manager who is rarely there. Boring, easy work. Best suited for someone who enjoys selling. It is hard to sell when management and specialists don't follow through with customers or give poor service. You'll spend a week reading about stuff you will never use and then sit around and be a sales person. 401k is amazing but even a month after my 90 day review I never got my review.
Pros
401k is amazing
Cons
management is unorganized and absent
April 12, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! The description of our administrative assistant position clearly indicates that sales is a major component of the position, and our interview process includes specifically sales-related inquiries. While we do thoroughly train our administrative assistants do provide excellent customer service, as well as data entry, payment processing and numerous other office tasks, actively pursuing sales opportunities is some of the most vital work they provide. We're sorry for any misunderstanding about the nature of the position. We wish that you had relayed your concerns about management to our HR department during your employment, but we will use this information to continue to improve and provide the best possible work environment.

great
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  weston, wiOctober 5, 2018
Great company. Well established and great staff. I enjoyed working for this company. The work was outside which was a plus and also it was face paced and I like to work fast.
April 12, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your employment. We will continue working to create opportunities for successful happy employees, and hopefully earn 5 stars!

Management is terrible
Pesticide Applicator (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIAugust 2, 2018
I worked for the Green Bay branch of Naturescape. I spent most of my time working in Minnesota due to employee turnover. Hated this job more than any other job I’ve had. Management does not care about employees, only numbers. They claim to be family oriented that’s a lie.
Pros
Company Equipment
Cons
Everything Else
April 12, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! While it is never our wish to have specialists working outside of their own branches for any significant length of time, we very much appreciate the willingness our best employees have to help the whole company succeed. We regret that you left with the impression that we don't value your time, and we wish we'd been given the chance to address this during your employment. Work/life balance is vital to the happiness and success of our employees, and we will continue to work to provide this balance.

Totally bull
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Delafield, WIJuly 8, 2018
Naturescape said I would only work 40 hours no more. Get 40 in have the rest off. I ended up working over 50 hours plus working in the rain. The van leaked pesticide like crazy, they wouldn’t fix it because they were to far behind. To make rate you had to run across the lawns, and you don’t get credit for service calls.
Cons
Working in the rain and realistic rates.
NatureScape is a very good place to work
Lead Specialist (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILJuly 2, 2018
Working at NatureScape was good experience, and the pay was very good. I was allowed almost complete autonomy with my daily work and given a chance to advance
Pros
Autonomy; pay; benefits; advancement
Cons
Hard-work; for the younger crowd;
Poor Management
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muskego, WIJune 18, 2018
We had a great group of employees at the Muskego branch. Poor managers emptied the place by expecting unrealistic results and shunning anyone who dared to disagree
Good, hardworking, honest people.
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Andover, CTJune 2, 2018
I enjoyed working at Naturescape and I would work for them again if I had another summer between semesters to do so. Respectable management, work place was kept clean and well maintained.
Don't waste your precious time
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMay 13, 2018
This is a horrible job! Your training will be AWFUL and they will test you CONSTANTLY. You will be expected to know everything a specialist knows PLUS the administration role. You are expected to deal with unruly customers (MGMT only gets involved when the customer is threatening to cancel) and give them unrealistic deadlines that YOU are responsible for. NO lunch break for full time. Upper management is a JOKE. All of your phone calls are monitored and you will receive negative feedback constantly, up to and including breaking in on your phone calls. You might receive a raise or a bonus, you never know. The handbook says they review you for a raise. They don't. They will constantly change the employee handbook and expect you to memorize it and sign it. If you don't agree with it, you will be fired if you don't sign it. You will receive CONSTANT write ups. You have to FIGHT for your rights and if you don't, they don't give you a thing. Your hours are subject to change during peak periods (6-7 months per year) including 6 day weeks without overtime. They have CRAZY turnover. EVERYTHING THEY CLAIM TO BE, THEY ARE NOT. Steer clear and keep looking. NOTHING about them is positive except their ad.
Pros
Branch employees are decent as long as they stay
Cons
Stressful and negative environment. You are just a number

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Naturescape. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9