Naval Nuclear Laboratory Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
challenging assignments, management facilitates well
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Niskayuna, NYMarch 19, 2018
Working in the IT department for the past 13 months, doing systems administration and some app development, I have been impressed with the projects and operations opportunities provided. My coworkers have been friendly and helpful. I have gained much useful technical knowledge here, and there are substantial opportunities for getting additional training as needed. Management is focused on results and on the morale of their team. We don't have an excessive amount of meetings. This is a great place for self-starters looking for challenges, but ok with a substantial amount of 'red tape' and waiting to get new systems approved for production use. The company has a can-do but friendly and congenial culture.
Pros
Well run but not micro-managed
Cons
Takes long time to get security clearance
Redundant, boring work
Intermediate Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 20, 2018
Would not recommend a friend working here. Advancement is based off time more so than effort and productivity until later in career. Morale is low here.
Secure job but too uptight
Technical Editor/Writer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2018
Too much of an uptight military culture. There is no innovation despite what they claim. All rules and procedures must be followed and thinking outside of the box is punished.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
military culture, non-innovative
Overall, the environment is suitable for learning and contributing to the programs.
Principal Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYFebruary 1, 2018
Due to my broad research experience and education, I was involved in various projects and subjects, which I really enjoyed very much. At knolls new ideas and technical discussions welcomed and considered seriously. We worked all together as a team to accomplish the projects. All the works must be in detail, accurate, and tested precisely before being applied. Often theoretical modeling was performed in parallel with experiments to validate the experimental results. Each team as well as each individual has responsibility to perform the job as accurate as possible. During the development of new ideas and technologies we also worked with several research institutes and vendors. I learned how to communicate with vendors, give and take ideas, and work as a team. I learned the best way to overcome the issues is to discuss face to face. Regarding the management, it mostly depends on the manager personality. Overall, most of the managers are open and give scientists and engineers space to work with each other and then being briefed. Overall the environment is suitable to learn and contribute to the programs.
Pros
Occasionally such as Christmas holiday and thanksgiving we get free lunch
Cons
A few minutes coffee break is allowed
As a scientist and engineer, I enjoyed working at Knolls and RPI and I made scientific and technical contributions to the projects.
Principle scientist (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYFebruary 1, 2018
Due to my broad research experience and education, I was involved on variety of projects, which I enjoyed very much. New ideas and technical discussions welcomed and considered seriously. Many advanced equipment available for detail research and development. Due to sensitivity of the works, each work evaluated in detail and tested precisely to be sure everything is correct. Many research institutes and vendors were involved on the development of new ideas. I learned how to collaborate with vendors, give and take new ideas, and communicate with them. I learned the best way that a project advances and new ideas incorporated is to have open discussion face to face. Regarding the management, it depends on the personality of the managers. Many managers were very opened and leaved the science to scientists and engineers and give them space to work and debrief them on the progresses that was made. Overall, the goal was that we all work together as a team, help each other, and do our job to the best of our ability to complete projects.
Pros
Occasionally such as Christmas holiday and thanksgiving we had free lunch.
Cons
anyone can have a few minutes coffee break.
This is my Summary
NDT TECHNICIAN LEVEL II (Former Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAJanuary 19, 2018
My typical day at work was challenging working in Miltiary
envarioment is great. i was working as NDT Level II & Welding
doing Shear Wave Inspection. Learned a lot about the Military &
Navy, Marines, Airforce. The work place culture was very good &
friendly i was working with other Engineers. The hardest part of the job was walking around decks of ships & Submarines.
Pros
free lunches sometime
Cons
short breaks & Healthcare.
terrible management, discrimination
Security Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYJanuary 7, 2018
BMPC claims to give preference to veterans, but then they illegally investigate you based off a rumor that you have PTSD and find some technicality to terminate you on. Management is a complete joke...
Work at NRF
Associate Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Arco, IDJanuary 5, 2018
Nuclear work has a lot of red-tape involved. The engineering is a bit dull and reduced to simple maintenance work. It is difficult to tinker and innovate.
Secure job that offers little incentive
Electrical Engineering Technical Intern (Former Employee) –  Niskayuna, NYNovember 10, 2017
I'm a young guy who worked as an intern. Almost everyone I worked with was very nice and very eager to help. My manager was also a great guy. The pace of the work is incredibly slow. Lots of red tape, anything you need for a project you won't see for months (at least), no competitive spirit because there is no incentive to do well. As long as you keep showing up you won't get fired - maybe good for some people but not me. People literally fell asleep in almost every meeting I went to and no one batted an eye - very strange.
Pros
Job security, pay is decent
Cons
Little incentive to work hard, red tape hold up projects that take forever
Interesting work with job security and good work/life balance
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 9, 2017
The company has a bunch of interesting work that can be challenging and rewarding. Most engineers perform analyses at computers, and some get to work in labs as test sponsors. You can gain a lot of experience with finite element analyses and technical writing. Depending on the group you work in there is a potential to do some design work, but much of the design is in test fixtures, tooling, and hardware.

It is nice to have a big site that includes office buildings, labs, and machine shops. The feel of being on a campus is enjoyable.

Requirements can be really tight on designs and analytical limits which can make work difficult at times, but that is part of the challenge. There is currently a lack of innovative culture there, but hopefully there will be a move to more new design and testing. Management can differ greatly based on the size of the site, and I was lucky to have management that supported my technical work and defended my decisions.

The greatest part is the work/life balance. Most engineers work on a 9/80 schedule and do not have to work extensively past their normal 9 hour days. The fact that we have lives outside of work that are important and make us who we are is respected, and we are not overworked with absurd hours most weeks throughout the year. This has greatly allowed me to do interesting things outside of work and not constantly feel under pressure of the job.
Great work life balance and job secuirty
Materials Engineer/ Non-Destructive Engineering (Current Employee) –  West Milton, NYSeptember 29, 2017
Would recommend working here. Great work life balance and job security, they are a little behind times on technology and pay, but overall it is a good place to work.
Amazing company in highly technical field
Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 2, 2017
NNL provides amazing growth opportunities for engineers looking for a challenging field and possessing a desire to serve their country. I would recommend NNL for any young engineer interested in nuclear power plant design and operations.
Stupid Place to Work
Senior Nuclear Engineer (Former Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAAugust 27, 2017
If you enjoy filling out paperwork and having people actively prevent you from working, go to work here. If you love hypocrisy and doing the same stuff over and over, work here. This company did great work 30-40 years ago, and they've been coasting ever since with no desire to change whatsoever. They care more about passing fire-drills than doing work. All the managers fail upwards too, so you'll never respect your manager. Overall this place sucks.
Pros
Decent pay and time off.
Cons
The facilities suck and so do the people. The managers are engineers who fail upwards.
Great Technincal Work, Poor Culture
Lead Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 3, 2017
The techinical work is great, interesting, and fun. However, morale is low because of poor relationships between groups, below average compensation, and a perception that high performers are not sufficiently rewarded.
Pros
Very interesting work, fun to design reactors for the navy
Cons
Can't have any electronics including your phone on site. Poor culture and low morale
Engineering Company
Technical Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAJanuary 15, 2017
At Naval Nuclear Laboratory, we develop advanced naval nuclear propulsion technology, ensuring the safety and reliability of our Navy's submarine and aircraft carrier Fleets. We are proud to work closely with the Navy, training the Sailors who operate our reactors.