• Greet customers and ascertain customer needs.
• Answer questions regarding the store and its merchandise.
• Recommend, select, and locate merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
• Place special orders or contact other stores to find desired items.
• Describe merchandise and explain use, operation, and care of merchandise to customers.
• Compute sales prices, total purchases, receive, and process cash or credit payment.
• Prepare sales slips or sales contracts.
• Prepare and perform inventory
• Maintain knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices.
• Maintain records related to sales.
Tools used in this occupation
• Barcode scanners
• Computerized cash registers
• Telecheck processing terminals