Navy Exchange Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Really fun place to work
Florist, Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HISeptember 11, 2018
Great atmosphere, really awesome place to work. Hours were flexible and the pay was great. Super fun getting to work at a military facility and getting to interact with fun customers.
didn't offer permanent job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 10, 2018
I really like working there enjoyed the people and customers there. only if they gave me a permanent job I could of stayed. at the jobs. enjoyed shopping there.
Pros
enjoying shopping there
Cons
was only seasonal job
Miserable place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pearl HarborSeptember 7, 2018
if you are a military spouse please avoid this place. there is no benefits for you even though the military plays it like these jobs were made for you. the wages are low, new management comes in and changes schedules and the way things are done and if they dont like you, they will continually find ways to let you go. HR department is not proactive and management is quite abusive, along with supervisors. They don't respect your scheduling needs, and you will do way more than your job description, they will micromanage you constantly. Please run away from this place , it's truly not worth it and will suck the life out of you everytime you show up.
Pros
Cons
everything
great company to work for
Customer Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILSeptember 7, 2018
Opportunities to work in many countries all over the world. Many different jobs available: retail, food service, distribution, human resources, accounting.
Pros
great way to travel the world
Cons
long periods of work
Flexible
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 5, 2018
Manager and supervisor were flexible with scheduling. Also the manager and supervisor were willing to compromise with one another when needed. Gave enough time to make changes with scheduling.
Enjoyed working with the employees and customers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCSeptember 3, 2018
Always changing environment which is typical of retail business so no chance to ever get bored! Most managers worked well together and helped and flexible in a constant changing environment with expected daily call outs. Hardest part of the job was finding reliable employees with work ethics and keeping morale positive. Working with return customers and young Nuke School students was enjoyable. Realizing that you don't always have control over decisions that a government agency makes, making every customer happy, and instilling work ethics in employees. Trying to keep communication for all employees so that they realize changes are always happening was a constant issue.
Pros
Fun retail environment with good managers
Cons
long hours to get the job done
Inconsistent hours. FT employees not making the standard 80 hrs. Management issues. Overworked and underpaid.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Rita, GUAugust 30, 2018
Good people but bad management. Bad hiring process and inconsistent hrs. Overworked and underpaid. Good gas benefits and free gym membership. Good for post graduates
Great Company with great perks
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 28, 2018
Loved my job at NEXCOM. Great company with great people. Military friendly, with great benefits. Workplace culture is great. The hardest part of my job was the workload.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 17, 2018
The Navy Exchange was a good place to work. Flexible schedule and relaxed work environment. There seemed to be a good team attitude. Other workers were very helpful in training and willing to help when needed
Pros
Friendly Co-workers
Cons
Low Pay
Always something to do.
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Little Creek, VAAugust 15, 2018
I was hired as a warehouse worker, but promoted to supervisor within 2 months. Basically everything I did were from my Navy experience. I dealt with personnel issues, but it wasn't nothing that I couldn't handle.
Cons
Quick personnel turnover rate.

Want to know more about Navy Exchange?

Ask a question
Great pay
Barber (Former Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WAAugust 14, 2018
Consistent flow of patrons
Great tips
Management is professional and open
work as little or as much as you like
most enjoyable part of the job is the coworkers
Pros
great pay, coworkers, and management
Cons
sometimes shortages make for longer days
not great
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 12, 2018
I learned that managers are not willing to work with you on anything. the culture of the place was hostile and everybody I worked with hated their jobs and the managers.
Productive and fun place to work at.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 10, 2018
A typical day at the Navy Exchange was exciting and fun. Management was good and even offered to help out if it was busy. the hardest part of the job is telling the customer that we do not have their item they want.
Stressful, heavy lifting
Consumables stock worker and cashier (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAAugust 6, 2018
An ok work enviroment. No praise for the good work. Only things about the bad. Not willing to work with employees when they have emergencies. Management was ok, some communication issues.
Very Challenging work place
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 6, 2018
It was a great experience,Customer services,& enhancing my skills by taking supervisory Practices class and business management, Certificate received.
Pros
I remember they acknowledge staffs when doing a great job.
Cons
break time, acknowledging and appreciate staffs.
n/a
Sales/Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 5, 2018
I've been 4-5 yrs working at NEX, never that they give internal a chance to be full time or chance to grow unless someone quit or resign. Not a good place to expand and get train specially if they call you an asset. Slow growth for everybody. Older people will be ok for redundant work environment. Need to know somebody in upper management before you get appreciation.
Pros
no pros for this one
Cons
20 hrs or less for part time specially slow season.
Vending Operations Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL 32212August 4, 2018
Love to work here but the fact that the pay is on the very low end makes it a little less enjoyable. The company offer benefits such as dental and Health insurance as well as a retirement plan. Furthermore, there is the options for a 401 k plan. Great thing is that you will accumulate leave and sick leave days.
Nope
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oceana, VAJuly 28, 2018
I found this place to be super unorganized and nobody really seemed to care. During training to be a cashier the "trainer" was rude to me then left because of being sick from medication. I have worked retail over 10 years and this is about the bottom of the barrel.There's almost zero communication. Online applications say 1 thing and HR says another. Too many problems.
Pros
Some decent priced items
Cons
Short breaks, extra low pay, lies, unprofessional co-workers
Great place for retired military personnel
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 26, 2018
Best suited for retired military personnel. Does not have the best leadership and some work locations are substandard working conditions. The most enjoyable part of my job is serving the military personnel.
Pros
Service unique clients
Cons
low pay, low morale
Amazing
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kings Bay, GA 31547July 25, 2018
I love this job. The work family was amazing and management was as well. I started this job while I was in high school and remained seasonal until I couldnt work there anymore. I would go back in a heart beat if I could work weekends only