Navy Exchange Employee Reviews

Good Place for advancement to a certain level but poor pay
Wireless Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 18, 2018
Company has good benefits but their pay structure is terrible.
They can get away with paying lower wages because they have a lot of retiree's that they hire. If you are looking to make money this is not the place for you.
Good overall environment with outdated technology
Accounting (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 17, 2018
For the most part NEXCOM is a good employer. Good benefits and overall environment a plus. Draw backs are pay scale and the the disconnect between departments caused by division of duties. While on one hand this is necessary some things are taken to an extreme when dividing the same department into segments that then do not communicate it causes constant issues downstream to all other segments of the company. Raises are minimal depending on department.
Benefits
Cons
Pay Scale and Raises
Nex
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 16, 2018
It was a great place with a lot of different people from all over the country. I liked that i got to help our country servicemen on a daily basis. good workplace.
Jobs
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Millington, TNJuly 11, 2018
Jobs are good at the Navy Exchange if you can live on low wages. I worked at the Navy Exchange for 9 yrs. I enjoyed working there when I was married to my Ex Husband because he was Military.
Navy Exchange
Supervisor/Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 10, 2018
The most enjoyable part of working here was the hardworking co-workers and I work in a fast-pace as a team making sure everything was done successfully. I learned customer service skills, working in teams, being a leader. I would cashier a closing store and stock.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
No benefits
Experince
Cashier Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 9, 2018
Working at the Navy exchange was great. The people and the environment was fun to be around. I worked there for 4 years as I was in high school then off to collage. Management worked well with me for my maternity leave and schooling.
Break room
Customer Service Representative at NEX (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 30, 2018
At first I liked working there but the people I worked with were lazy and never wanted to do there job. Everyone I saw ignore the customers. They we're very rude. Workers made up excuses not to to their job. Workers would talk bad abkut you to there workers and customer. Very professional
Pros
The manager was nice.
Cons
Lazy co workers
Great part time job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTJune 29, 2018
On a typical work day it's up to you to remain positive. The days are what you make them. You must remain positive to gain a positive workday. All else will fall into place.
interesting but an okay place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Millington, TNJune 23, 2018
Interesting place, management somewhat cared for you. Very low pay, and high work load. I recommend this place if you're starting in the workforce at a early age.
Productivity
Receptionist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 22, 2018
There was always room to learn how to do something beyond your hired description. there is always new task to take the initiative for and they always provide extra assistance if you dont understand something
Cultural diversity
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 15, 2018
Fun workplace because of cultural diversity and employees are always friendly. The most enjoyable part of the job is I was able to serve both the active and retired military.
Not as great as people are lead to believe
Loss Prevention Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 14, 2018
Not much room for advancement, depending on the position and department. Non-competitive and low pay. Lack of overall communication from supervisors and managers.
Understanding my nex not all
Sales Representative/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Point Loma, CAJune 14, 2018
this Navy exchange has a weird and unusual way of understanding the way their coworkers that work here. They say they are there for you. Some are just that there for you when you are at work and some are there for you outside of work has been willing to do a lot of things to make you feel connected to a company that cares. what I learned there is that the sailors past and future and presents are the ones that make you coming back to work everyday, every week and every year. Their smiles their genuine inquiry about your day and the want to understand your problems and help you get a smile on your face like the may times you do for them.
Awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 13, 2018
Unless you are a officers wife or service member you are treated terrible. Zero perks at all. They were more about hiring foreigners and promoting them than Americans.
Good Shopping Priviledges
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  FPO, AP, USJune 12, 2018
The shopping and gas benefits are great compared to out in town. The management team is good but can be improved by training. The working relationships with employees are good.
Pros
Gas priviledges
Good place to work if you do not need a set schedule.
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 12, 2018
Must be totally flexible and available to work weekends and nights. Must be able to drive on base. Must have up to date registered car and proof of insurance to get on base.
Nice people
Seasonal Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 8, 2018
I loved working at the Navy Exchange but the pay was too low. Very friendly environment and great management. Great place for a first job, especially if you are new to this country and military dependent.
Pros
Shopping privileges/Friendly environment
Cons
Low pay
Fun Job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lemoore Naval Air Station, CAJune 3, 2018
very relaxing/ not really a stressful environment but definitely fast pace type job. everyone get along with one another. time goes by really fast when working on different projects.
Pros
love the people i work with
Cons
not enough hours to go around
productive
MWR Commander, Navy Region, Europe, Southwest Asia (Former Employee) –  Provincia di Napoli, CampaniaJune 1, 2018
The work environment at the Navy Exchange was a learning experience. I was able to come in contact with many different people from many different backgrounds which helped me form my customer service and personnel skills that I have today.
Typical Day at Work
Seasonal Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 31, 2018
I was responsible for making sure the shoe department looked presentable by setting up displays for shoes, fixing shoe boxes on shelves when out of order and refilling aisles with shoes. Priced shoes and made sure merchandise was returned to designated areas. Assist customers with finding the right shoes and sizes. Also help set up tables for deals of the week.