Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

You could only advance if you smooched arses
FHA DE/VA SAR/LAPP/CONV Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAJanuary 16, 2019
Management created culture of brown noses get ahead. Your quality and quantity of work was always second to being a brown nose.
Greed was a primary driver for senior management. A senior manager stated in a meeting, underwriters need to stop protecting the borrowers when reviewing appraisals. Obviously in their eyes a borrower was not a member.
Pros
Checks cleared every payday
Cons
Land of brown nosers
Very Biased!! Only like young workers
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 16, 2018
You will be interviewed by a 20 year old. Your Supervisor will be a 20 year old. You will be given all the hardest accounts because they want to push you out the door....BUT they have to some older workers so their SCAM isn't shining bright. Ask everyone that works there, they treat the young workers with easier schedules and easier work than they do the more experienced workers BUT they all get the same pay.
Cons
Discriminates against older workers and minorities
Cares for its employees
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 19, 2018
This company goes out of its way to not only give you the training that you need, but also to offer additional training to prepare you for advancement in whichever direction you would like to go. What's more, supervisors and team mentors check with you frequently to make sure all is well, and to see what they can do for you to ensure that. The Pensacola Contact Center is designed to ensure maximum possible comfort for employees on and off the phones.
Best Job
Mortgage Loan Processor I Refinance Loans (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 27, 2018
I love my Navy Federal job and family. I wish I was in a position to work remotely and stay with this company that has literally changed my family and my life. They have the best benefits that I have ever had for both myself and for my family. They helped to me to be the most financially stable that I have ever been and I am eternally grateful. I met some of the dearest people to me in my life and I am forever part of the Navy federal family!
Very easy to get along with superiors and are quick to want you to advance
Member Service Representative Mentor (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 3, 2018
Navy Federal in the past four years has been amazing to me. I did not graduate from college but they still see my work at hand and reward me. I would have never been able to purchase my first home at 24 without them! Anytime I need time off for anything it’s a simple and easy process. I am super happy that I have been with them for so long and hope to retire with them.
Pros
Plenty of paid time off
Cons
At times you feel discouraged when it comes to advancement
Day to Day Managing Resources and Services at NFCU
ISD Resource and Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 30, 2018
Over the course of a single day, it starts with attending daily briefing of what issues occurred in overnight processing. Assigning resources and technical staff to diagnosis any issues and report back to me. Daily meetings includes reviewing up coming technology being rolled out in the banking side and ensuring it fits within the technology roadmap. Meeting with staff for one on ones and developing staff and giving direction. This I find the most enjoyable part of my day to help guide my managers to become stronger.
Pros
One on ones with management and Technical staff
Cons
Long days
Satisfaction dependent on position
System Engineer 4 (Former Employee) –  viennaNovember 27, 2018
Despite 22 years of experience and being the specialized subject matter expert, micromanagement with a new (inexperienced) supervisor became difficult even to the point where daily activities needed to be approved. It's amazing how one person, and the supporting management, destroys one persons loyalty to the point of wanting to leave the section.
Again, other areas have different requirements and employees have different experiences, both good and bad.
Pros
wonderful facilities, perks, benefits, and salary
Cons
supervisor's 'open door' policy is only available when it benefits them.
Great Company to Work For
Consumer Loan Relationship Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 28, 2018
NFCU takes care of their employees. The work environment at my location, Pensacola, Florida, was wonderful. Put a smile on my face every time I walked into the building.
The only problem is supervisors were not supervised by their managers, so when mistakes were made or department rules were ignored, the department supervisor could address it when and if they wanted to. That type of supervising only promotes favoritism and favor-trading. I can't say negative things about the company, only about a very few employees.
Pros
NFCU takes good care of their empolyees.
Cons
Supervisors are left to do as they please.
Good pay But Stressful
Account Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 10, 2019
I loved working there but it's like soon I came out of training I was no longer excited things always constantly changed and than It was a customer I verified everything but later found out that she was a fraud and ended up going under investigation and than letting me go as if was the one who stole the money. That's what made difficult.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Things changed very often everyday got stressful
good company
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 18, 2018
Job was a great place to work however with the lack of carrier advancements for workers it makes it difficult for someone to go anywhere if there starting at the bottom level tier if i were asked to come back i may however i wouldn't accept the position that i was working in for so many years. other wise the company provides loads of benefits from discounts to paid time off. they were very good at working with people that are going to school to provide the best schedule to work with your classes.
Pros
paid vacation
Cons
no promotional opportunities.
Quick paced and stressful environment of middle schoolers
MSR I (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 7, 2018
A very fast paced day of constant telephone and computer work with active listening and fulfilling member requirements of their banking issues dealing with harassment and vulgarities or extremely emotional members. Fellow co-workers were of the younger generations and acted as if still in middle school and management applied policies per favoritism within facility. The morale was not a good environment. The most enjoyable part of job was helping older members that were not savvy to computers or naive of hackers and scammers and saving them their monies and hearing their joy. Just hearing thank you and happiness from members made phone calls pleasurable.
Benefits
Cons
Micromanagement, application of policies
Have great benefits
Loan Disbursement Processor (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VADecember 18, 2018
The typical day was to process the loans and answer phone calls. I learn to work as a team to get the work done when there was an over load of work to be done. The best part of working there is that they have a indoor gym for all their employees. The hardest part of the job was to be an central employee when there was bad weather like a snow storm.
Pros
Gym and walking path
Cons
being a central employee
Wonderful place to work
Member Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WANovember 7, 2018
If I could've I would have kept this job but due to a personal child custody issue I was no longer able to work weekends which was required. The benefits were amazing and the coworkers were also a blast to work with. I would highly recommend working here as you get to be a banker and teller but not both at the same time. One week a teller, one week a banker. Also there are no individual sales compensation so that cuts out the competition. The dress code is pretty strict, no tattoos or piercings showing and clothing is almost uniform like.
Benefits
Cons
not enough sick days for those single parents, dress code, work weekends
Best Credit Union in the World
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 24, 2018
I loved everything about working for Navy Fed, except my last manager. She was a toxic person, but thanks to her that helped me to move on and better myself career wise. It's no sales pressure and you feel like you are actually helping military families with their financial lives. I will always love Navy Fed even if they don't have one for me to work at in Massachusetts. They have products and services I believe in
Pros
Cons
Certain managers
excellent benefits
Submitted loan applications to the underwriter (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 11, 2019
Very stressful work environment and very little flexibility with days off. I feel it was an extremely structured environment. The benefits were the best I have ever had. the retirement plan was vey generous
Pros
lots of incentives such as free lunch and unlimited overtime
Cons
very short breaks and no opportunity to leave the work campus
Mixed feelings
Delinquency Control Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 12, 2018
The company itself is great. But they are more focused on numbers than anything. They are strict on breaks for the bathroom or break room, days you miss even if scheduled. They write you up for any little thing. The upper management in Collections is the biggest joke They don't care about their employees. they care about how they look. They would REQUIRE MANDATORY OVERTIME more often than not.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Terrible management.
Career Advancement
Sr. Decedent Mortgage & Equity Resolution III (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAOctober 10, 2018
There are not fair practices for ensuring all who apply and interveiw for position within will be given a fair chance to obtain promotions. The management staff often has someon they already want to hire,and alot of time is wasted by employees driving from Branch locations. As well management is not diverse within NFCU, and since this is a military credit union you would expect to see more diversity in rolls higher than Supervisor but it isnt the case. the Job shadowing program is not effective,feels like the mentor doesnt want you there.
Pros
Free cupcakes and small bonus yearly
Cons
Benefits, Compensation doesnt match majority of th ejob titles, Minimal Diversity in Management
Productive and very busy place to work
General Ledger Accountant (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VADecember 5, 2018
During a typical work month, one of my biggest tasks is .
prepare and examine financial records. Make sure that records are accurate and that taxes are paid properly and on time. Documents financial transactions by entering account information. Recommends financial actions by analyzing accounting options.
Great Place to grow and work.
Business Analyst, Member Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDNovember 9, 2018
This is a great job that cares about all its members and workers. They are constantly trying to get better and the benefits are amazing. It is a monday through saturday kind of job for certain positions but they do work with you based on you life schedule as long as it is reasonable.
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
can be a bit fast pace at times.
Great atmosphere
Property Insurance Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 29, 2018
NFCU is a good company to work for. I worked in 1-30 day collections then under the mortgage department. It provided a difference in experience, with collections being more fast-paced. Honestly, your experience depends on your supervisor.
Pros
Employee appreciation, family-like culture
Cons
micromanagement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Navy Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.8Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss