Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Great comapny
Member Service Representative III (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDFebruary 11, 2018
NFCU is great company with awesome benefits. They have flexible schedules and give great bonuses. Advancement can be easy but management favors certain employees and do not honor qualifications. I have a bachelor's degree applied for other positions in the office and got looked over by people with high school diplomas. Not even an interview offer just an email of non selection.
Loved working for Navy Federal!
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  OverseasFebruary 10, 2018
I was sad when we had to relocate and I couldn't continue my career with Navy Federal because I loved my job! It is truly a wonderful company to work for that values its employees and provides competitive incentives. You are cross trained to work through-out the branch allowing you to feel knowledgeable of everything going on around you. The culture is member focused and not driven by retail banking mentality that many financial institutions stress their employees with. So when your there your goal is to ensure that the members are receiving the best experience possible and getting the products and services that they are requesting. You will work with a team and collaborate to achieve many successes. My managers were professional and considerate. They strived to ensure we all felt empowered to make decisions based on our knowledge and judgement. The hardest part is getting a transfer as well as getting in the door for that matter. If I was able to go back tomorrow though, I would without question.
Pros
Benefits, hours, employee appreciation
Cons
Hard to get in, transferring isn't easy.
Over all review of my experience
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 10, 2018
Over all the company had wonderful benefits, pay was good. The only issue I had was working on the phones. The members are rude, terrible and disrespectful. You had to be nice to them regardless. I have never worked at a call center before and that was my first time. Would NEVER do it again. That is the only reason I left. If there was a job off the phones I would be there in a heart beat. You can only take so much of someone yelling at you "what did you do with my money" "transfer me to someone who knows what they are doing" "why did you freeze my account" etc .... I still believe in the old rule, be nice to one another and have respect. I would be happy if they yelled then apologized for yelling.
I was in the hospital for chest pains and was out a few days. I had the doctors note, plus hospital note proving I was there. Received a verbal warning about missing days.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Members on the phone
Overall mismanaged with focus on company and not the employee
Contact Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 7, 2018
Human resources does not handle employee issues, instead employee relations does. They pretend to be a confidential and supportive group but they aren't. They are there to protect NFCU from litigation for breaking employment and labor laws. They do not completely investigation employee complaints from both sides but deal punishment without speaking too the employee being punished. They hurry up and implement disciplinary action right before bonus time just to take it from employees. If you run the ER department your boyfriend is allowed to act inappropriately to other employees and its not considered harassment because it didn't happen at work.
Lies and slander are allowed because if the person didn't say it to your face, you're making it up. Management does not support supervisors, instead they are blamed for things like attrition and not "coaching to success". We are under our managements direction and have to follow orders but once that direction doesn't suit them they blame everyone else instead of taking ownership. Management does not "walk the walk" and is under so much stress from the VP management that they are only looking out for themselves. They have favorites and pit employees against each other.
Assistant mangers are allowed to act inappropriately and without any recourse, instead they move them to another department where they cause more discourse when they should be demoted or fired (like they do to other employees who are without a title for less).
Promotions do not go to those who deserve it. Its all about who you know.
Employees are coached to smile
  more... more when they walk through the hallways as the VPs want everyone to smile and kiss their behind when the entire place is oppressive. We are all micromanaged and must account for all of our actions, those of every employee, and when and where an employee is at, at all times.
Even if that employee is exceptional at what they do, the must have a goal to do better. They are budgeting our performance reviews and they don't allow a certain number of employees to receive better reviews as it costs the company money. Instead they down grade the employee but tell them to beat their performance from the year before if they want a better review, instead of following the set expectations for an employee in their position. The review effects the annual pay increase and bonus % paid out in January.
Health care providers in the area are on high alert when they have a patient from NFCU. Someone once said if they could vote NFCU would not be fortune 100 best places to work because of the way they treat employees. Management knows this and thinks its just doctors against NFCU. Educated professionals who have lived and worked in the area, who are experienced and work in all different fields, but how could other people/doctors see a negative trend in the community?
It's an abusive environment with little regard for the well being of the employee. The supervisors who care for their employees do not get recognized. The benefits aren't worth your mental health. Yes, men get paid more here, I've seen it. It's almost impossible to get a day off during the holidays or times for the company because they come first.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
No work/life balance, abusive management, employee relations, and hr is a joke.
Great Place to work!
MSR (Member Service Representative) (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 7, 2018
Navy Federal is the best financial institution in the world and the best one to work for. Team members are like family. The benefits and pay are amazing.
Pros
friendly people who work there
Cons
work hours in the AM are rough
company as whole
Member Service Rep I (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 6, 2018
Navy Federal, is more like a religous cult, everyone must follow their beliefs, but they do not. You have to belong to the certain clicks, also I truly believe they are age bias, they do not have many people 45-55, working for them, I understand they are looking for younger people that they hope will continue a path with them, but actually you are just a number.
Pros
insurance
Cons
everything, worse job i ever had
Great learning experience
Member Services Representative II (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 6, 2018
This is not the easiest job that I have ever done, but it was a great learning experience. The pay and benefits are wonderful. Co workers were wonderful.
Great Place to work
Supervisor Branch Operations (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 5, 2018
Regulatory Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAFebruary 4, 2018
This is an application for employment at Wells Fargo, a financial services competitor of NFCU. I was employed there for 15 years and they are well known for their member/customer service. Coming from that background, I feel I'm an ideal candidate for this position.
I still have nightmares about this place.
Training Media Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAFebruary 2, 2018
A bunch of overpaid retired military executives invented this position in collusion with Human Resources managers. From the very beginning, until my termination 14 years later, the managers overstuffed this job with so many disparate duties, it was impossible to focus, and, in the end, I was just plain worn out.

On the plus side, I did get paid leave, and stayed long enough to get a nice sum that has, with excellent money management, become my living wage, especially after my stroke in 2008, and my subsequent and continuing physical impairments.
Pros
some creative perks during some periods + ending annual $40, 000 salary
Cons
environment physically nice, but unfriendly and, ultimately, alienating
Monopoly
Member Service Representative-Contact Center (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 30, 2018
It is an organization that if you are willing to choose work over family you will fit right in. Also, if you are a person who does not completely agree with them and their procedures, don't voice your opinion. It will be used against you.
GREAT Culture!
Staff Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 30, 2018
I enjoy the culture here so much. They are so wonderful, flexible and all the management here have open door policies which makes life very easy. There is flex time, ability to work from home, you can take leave in accordance to your vacation/sick leave and you always have the chance to explore other job opportunities and expand your knowledge of the company as a whole!
Pros
Yearly bonus, constant free food provided for every holiday, special events, beach volleyball court, basketball court, track, 24/7 gym, and much more!
High intensity
Mortgage Closer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 29, 2018
I absolutely loved my supervisors and team mates at Navy Federal, and the actual occupation wasn't terrible. But I found the work load to be over the top in order to "meet their standards". Had crazy expectations. It was "too" fast paced for me.
I was only a contractor so I was exempted from any benefits, don't ever go in as a contractor. Never worth it.
Pros
1 hour lunch and break, good rapport among team members, room to grow and advance
Cons
Very high work volume/stress
ASSISTANT TO VICE PRESIDENT OF OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 29, 2018
Good place to work but very high turnover. I enjoyed my job and who I worked for but left for personal reasons. Navy Federal offers a lot of opportunities especially for young people.
Pros
Lots of employee perks
Cons
large turnover
Delinquency Control Counselor (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAJanuary 24, 2018
I enjoy working for this company. The environment is great. Sometimes advancement can be challenging but it is possible. The company likes to promote from within which is a definite plus.
Excellent Benefits
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 22, 2018
Great place to work, they pay you well, treat you well, best benefits you could ask for but with that they expect perfection. You earn 'sick leave' hours but do not really get to use them for real illness situations b/c all sick leave must be scheduled 3 weeks in advance. The trainers are awesome, and they value employee input of what could be better, what is working and what is not working.
Pros
Metlife dental and medical insurance, 401k match up to 7%
Cons
Be prepared to sit in traffic AT LEAST an hour just to get in and out of the parking lot
Diverse Workplace
Back Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAJanuary 20, 2018
The company is very fair overall. The culture is more relaxed, especially in the back office positions ( relaxed dress code, tattoos allowed, etc). I have gained many skills and thoroughly enjoy the perks offered by the company.
Everything is not what it seems
Credit Card Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 20, 2018
Was too stressful for me, non stop on the phones. Short breaks that were timed. My immediate manager could never answer questions. No opportunity to move up. Promised an earlier shift which I never got.
Pros
Free Food sometimes
Cons
short breaks, too strict, bad management
Nfcu
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKJanuary 19, 2018
I worked at Navy Federal for 4 years and I would have to say it was one of the hardest jobs I've had. The management team was pretty tough on you. They expected a lot from you. You will earn your pay for sure.
Good job and money for the area
Card Fraud Prevention Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 18, 2018
I have little to add about Navy Federal but for some reason this is a required field so I'm going to continue typing words until I meet the minimum requirements. Okay done.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Navy Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.7Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.