NBT Bank Employee Reviews

You’re forced to “live for your job” nothing else matters
Teller (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYNovember 19, 2018
Don’t expect overtime ... ever . Management is horrid, and unprofessional. With the lack of professionalism by managment you’re forced to be on the edge of your seat with the “watch your back attitude”. You’re forced to do double the work with no increase in pay or any recognition of any kind. Their were many times I had to play the roll of - CSR , Superviaor, and Manager all in one because of the lack of coverage - as higher ups refuse To Assist or provide additional hands to help- they are too concerned with “pay outs “ and “overtime pay” . The “sales” that are meant to be reached are very outrageous, some sale goals are very unattainable-, you’re forced to be very forceful on customers which makes your day to day very stressful and hard, and customers to be irritable . Job security... their is none. You are expected to live for the job , and nothing else matters.
Pros
Paid vacation
Cons
Managment - health insurance - pay
Productive, enjoyable environment
Teller I (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYNovember 17, 2018
NBT Bank is a great corporation to work for. They give wonderful opportunities for anyone to become hired. Management makes poor decisions on hiring, however. They do not seem to care for employees like they always claim to.
Pros
Flexible some times when you need time off, family-oriented corporation
Cons
They don’t hire enough people to help with short staff
Professional company, poor management
ASSISTANT BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2018
NBT would be a good company if not for management. The management is not selected based off knowledge most are selected from a "who you know" standpoint instead of a "what you know"
great people and management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Norwich, NYSeptember 6, 2018
enjoy the job and ability to help others. NBT offers the opportunity to learn and provides the resources to support learning with other knowledgeable employees.
Pros
company appreciates their employees
I loved working at NBT
Teller l (Former Employee) –  Afton, NY 13730August 29, 2018
I loved working at NBT, I helped out at multiple branches and everyone i worked with throughout the years was very nice. Unfortunately, my boss was not the best and that was why i left that branch, i had wished to stay with the company if there were other openings available. To this day i would love to go back to an NBT branch!
Pros
Loved the fast pace environment
Cons
Management was not the greatest at that branch
Good place to work but not great
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYAugust 1, 2018
I love what I do interacting with the customers. I enjoy the environment as well but the pay is not that good. The salary was my main issue why I left the company.
Relaxed and slow paced
Bank Teller/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
Ensure compliance with all internal controls and established policies and procedures. Balanced currency, cash and checks in cash drawers at end of each shift. Provided exceptional customer service to each patron ensuring all banking needs addressed.
Pay rates have changed since I left
Operations Associate, Mortgage (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2018
I left entirely due to the low pay rate of $11.50/hr. They have since made it their policy to start everyone at $15/hr. Kudos to them, too late for me.
Supportive work environment with career pathways
Desktop Support Technician II (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYJuly 26, 2018
NBT was very good at management training to recognize performance issues and help get them addressed with more training, rather than treating it as a personal issue. That made for a very supportive environment for an ambitious employee to advance.

It is a bank, so there was little coolness/fun factor to the job, but job stability was very good. Management and employees were always made to feel comfortable and friendly.

I really appreciated that management encouraged further career development and was very good at rewarding performance with advancement opportunities.
Pros
Excellent advancement opportunities within the company
Cons
Salaries are conservative
Fast paced, good environment
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Dunmore, PAJuly 2, 2018
Excellent work place, great management. Fast paced when busy and can get stressful. But overall it’s a great company To work for. I would recommend this job.
Lots of micromanaging
Teller (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYJune 20, 2018
Most micromanaged job I ever had, made it hard and awkward to communicate. Going into work was something I had to talk myself into, although the hours were good and the pay was decent i didn’t think it was worth it for that kind of environment .
slow
Teller (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYMay 16, 2018
Very slow work pace, raises were yearly, but usually averaged 0.14 cent per raise. Very high demand from corporate to meet sales but does not provide a way to achieve your goals
Decent company but not a fun place to be
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE/WIRE ROOM CLERK (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYMay 8, 2018
Decent company, not much room for growth. Only like to give very small raises. They do not value their employees. Willing to lose good employees due to pay.
Overview
Technical Support III (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYFebruary 11, 2018
I would not recommend working here. This was strictly a helpdesk position. Management was absolutely terrible to employees and they cut you down. They removed the pension plan no incentive to work there for anyone.
Good paycheck but work environment is lacking
Bank Teller I (Former Employee) –  Edmeston, NYJanuary 15, 2018
Company as a whole and as a bank is good. Work on the inside seemed to be cut throat and catty. As a teller information and training was not provided at the appropriate times when they were most needed. Communication was slow and it was withheld more often than not. half way through my career I finally got the training I should have had my first week. By then too many mistakes had been made and write ups were on the way to get me fired. If I had better training I may have been able to succeed at this job. My co workers were not very supportive nor did they try to find the time to train me correctly. I had to self train and hope for the best. if you take a job here and are self reliant you may be just fine.
Floating Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2017
Provides great benefits including pension and annual bonus pending positive earnings. Flexible hours depending on position held. Provides support to charitable companies through dress down fridays.
Pros
Secure job
Good work life balance
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 31, 2017
There is a lot of responsibility but the job is the best I have had in over 20 years of banking. I enjoy the people I work with. Employees opinions are valued and suggestions are used to improve bank processes.
Political
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Upstate New YorkOctober 22, 2017
If you’re in Norwich, NY or on the right side of the political influence you will love this company. Otherwise, don’t expect clarity or things to make sense...they seem to make decisions counterintuitively. If you’re in retail banking, then forget it. Getting your employees 0.20 raise will be act of God, but you will have plenty of unproductive meetings in NY’s farmcountry where you can get mileage paid.
Things changed for worse when the CEO changed.
Pros
Good performing company
Cons
Decisions are political, not logical
Decent company
Teller (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 19, 2017
Alright work place
Technical Associate (Current Employee) –  Oneida, NYOctober 13, 2017
It is a good place to start out but not a good place to make a full career out of. Help desk is under staff and makes it very stressful to get daily things done.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NBT Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight