NBT Bank Employee Reviews

Not worth the time and effort
Teller II (Former Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYMarch 11, 2019
Very low pay. Very high stress and pressure. Not worth the risk. Management seriously lacks motivation besides self growth. Mandatory weekends at fixed branch regardless of place of residence.
Company that cares about it's employees
Mortgage Loan Officer NMLS # (Current Employee) –  Norwich, NYFebruary 6, 2019
I was proud to work at a true community based bank for 14 years. NBT gives back to all the communities that is serves and encourages employees to do the same.
Not bank
Dual Agent (Current Employee) –  Margaretville, NYFebruary 6, 2019
Over all I enjoy working for this company, guess I just don’t enjoy the co workers I have. I feel like one co worker just sits around talking on the phone with personal calls and the manager doesn’t say anything to this particular employee
Pros
Paid holiday
Cons
Over worked
Poor, incompetent mangement
Residential Mortgage (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYFebruary 1, 2019
NBT as a whole is a great company to work for. However, senior management does not monitor or validate lower management (ie Team Leaders) ability to perform their job functions competently or professionally which leads to hard working, dedicated employees leaving the company
Pros
Cons
Management is incompetent
Worst job I ever had. I’ve worked for many years in Banking but this company was the worst!
Teller (Former Employee) –  Fulton, NYJanuary 29, 2019
Started out fine , but soon afterwards was treated poorly by staff and management. Very clicky and small office. Complained about everything I did. I felt uncomfortable every day and regardless of the great hourly wage was happy to find another job.
Pros
Nice customers
Cons
Very mean coworkers
eh
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NY 13045December 27, 2018
I cant come up with one hundred fifty characters they push you really hard to sell and I hated that it made the job unpleasant for me didn't feel like I was helping customers just harassing them
Great Company
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 25, 2018
NBT was a great team based company to work for, but i think the retail market manager's do not pay close enough attention to what is going on in the branches and what the branch manager's are doing as far as advancing there team
Pros
lots of PTO
You’re forced to “live for your job” nothing else matters
Teller (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYNovember 19, 2018
Don’t expect overtime ... ever . Management is horrid, and unprofessional. With the lack of professionalism by managment you’re forced to be on the edge of your seat with the “watch your back attitude”. You’re forced to do double the work with no increase in pay or any recognition of any kind. Their were many times I had to play the roll of - CSR , Superviaor, and Manager all in one because of the lack of coverage - as higher ups refuse To Assist or provide additional hands to help- they are too concerned with “pay outs “ and “overtime pay” . The “sales” that are meant to be reached are very outrageous, some sale goals are very unattainable-, you’re forced to be very forceful on customers which makes your day to day very stressful and hard, and customers to be irritable . Job security... their is none. You are expected to live for the job , and nothing else matters.
Pros
Paid vacation
Cons
Managment - health insurance - pay
Productive, enjoyable environment
Teller I (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYNovember 17, 2018
NBT Bank is a great corporation to work for. They give wonderful opportunities for anyone to become hired. Management makes poor decisions on hiring, however. They do not seem to care for employees like they always claim to.
Pros
Flexible some times when you need time off, family-oriented corporation
Cons
They don’t hire enough people to help with short staff
Professional company, poor management
ASSISTANT BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2018
NBT would be a good company if not for management. The management is not selected based off knowledge most are selected from a "who you know" standpoint instead of a "what you know"
great people and management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Norwich, NYSeptember 6, 2018
enjoy the job and ability to help others. NBT offers the opportunity to learn and provides the resources to support learning with other knowledgeable employees.
Pros
company appreciates their employees
I loved working at NBT
Teller l (Former Employee) –  Afton, NY 13730August 29, 2018
I loved working at NBT, I helped out at multiple branches and everyone i worked with throughout the years was very nice. Unfortunately, my boss was not the best and that was why i left that branch, i had wished to stay with the company if there were other openings available. To this day i would love to go back to an NBT branch!
Pros
Loved the fast pace environment
Cons
Management was not the greatest at that branch
Good place to work but not great
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYAugust 1, 2018
I love what I do interacting with the customers. I enjoy the environment as well but the pay is not that good. The salary was my main issue why I left the company.
Relaxed and slow paced
Bank Teller/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
Ensure compliance with all internal controls and established policies and procedures. Balanced currency, cash and checks in cash drawers at end of each shift. Provided exceptional customer service to each patron ensuring all banking needs addressed.
Pay rates have changed since I left
Operations Associate, Mortgage (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2018
I left entirely due to the low pay rate of $11.50/hr. They have since made it their policy to start everyone at $15/hr. Kudos to them, too late for me.
Supportive work environment with career pathways
Desktop Support Technician II (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYJuly 26, 2018
NBT was very good at management training to recognize performance issues and help get them addressed with more training, rather than treating it as a personal issue. That made for a very supportive environment for an ambitious employee to advance.

It is a bank, so there was little coolness/fun factor to the job, but job stability was very good. Management and employees were always made to feel comfortable and friendly.

I really appreciated that management encouraged further career development and was very good at rewarding performance with advancement opportunities.
Pros
Excellent advancement opportunities within the company
Cons
Salaries are conservative
Fast paced, good environment
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Dunmore, PAJuly 2, 2018
Excellent work place, great management. Fast paced when busy and can get stressful. But overall it’s a great company To work for. I would recommend this job.
Lots of micromanaging
Teller (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYJune 20, 2018
Most micromanaged job I ever had, made it hard and awkward to communicate. Going into work was something I had to talk myself into, although the hours were good and the pay was decent i didn’t think it was worth it for that kind of environment .
slow
Teller (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYMay 16, 2018
Very slow work pace, raises were yearly, but usually averaged 0.14 cent per raise. Very high demand from corporate to meet sales but does not provide a way to achieve your goals
Decent company but not a fun place to be
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE/WIRE ROOM CLERK (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYMay 8, 2018
Decent company, not much room for growth. Only like to give very small raises. They do not value their employees. Willing to lose good employees due to pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NBT Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight