NC Department of Public Safety Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 14, 2018
Somewhere great to make a advancement in this career, also you will enjoy a days of work except when management isn’t being bad or anything. It’s also somewhere you could retire from to make a career
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Bad Management
Used to be a wonderful job.
Nurse RN (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaNovember 28, 2018
It was not the inmates that were the problem, it was the long hours and the extremely short staff and most of all how the supervisor treated her employees. You could not do enough to satisfy the supervisor . Working as an only nurse with over 1500 inmates expected to do what 4-5 other nurses used to do. The staff that really cared about their job and the inmates were treated the worst and the ones that never showed up to work, walked out in the job, called out all the time or were always late were treated the best. This was a hard pill to swallow. I guess it’s a better job for a traveler because they only have to stay 13 weeks.
Benefits
Cons
Supervisor and short staff
Na
Parole/Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCNovember 12, 2018
The job in it self is not bad for beginners starting out in their careers. The job can be very stressful at times, because trying to determine human behavior.
Pros
Long term job.
Cons
Can be very stressful at times.
Not worth the small pay for your safety and security.
Correctional Case Manager (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 15, 2018
They care more about the inmates than they do the staff. If you are not from here, they will treat you like an outsider, make your life so miserable that you are forced to quit.
Good job long hours
Correctional Officer I (Current Employee) –  Hoffman, NCOctober 8, 2018
it a good job but it the same routine all day. it will get old at some point. the hours are good and day off are good. it get stressful at sometime. but it a good job.
Tough Skin
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Lillington, NCSeptember 25, 2018
You cannot have an outgoing personality working in this environment. You must remember who you are working with, offenders. I think that is the hardest part for me. I have to be a different person at work than I am outside of work.
Needs overhaul
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 24, 2018
lacks the level of integrity i have. I work among individuals who have compromised their position for money. Ethnics there is not up to professional standards at this conjecture.
Review
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 15, 2018
I would work there again, if i necessarily had to. The inmates ran the place and you really had to stand your ground in order to get respect. Sometimes it was 136 inmates to one officer
Pros
Unlimited overtime
Cons
Dangerous
Best Kept Secret of Nursing
Lead Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tillery, NCAugust 28, 2018
Amazing place to work. Everything is completed by policy and procedures. Hardest part of the job for someone is the negativity that comes with corrections and working directly with offenders. Promotes automony and advancement.
too dangerous
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Morganton & Marion, NCAugust 27, 2018
This type of nursing became too dangerous. Not enough officer staff, not knowledgeable enough for their positions. Too lenient with inmates. Inmates had advantage over staff. Inmates have more rights in the prison system than do the staff.
Mental Health: Fulfilling but stressful
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Hookerton, NCAugust 23, 2018
Has great benefits and I have a flexible schedule, but the amount of work is too big and stressful to keep up. With a smaller caseload, it's awesome!!
Pros
4 10-hour days, easy to get time off, great benefits, great pay
Cons
Too many offenders on caseload, workplace culture (staff), aggression and disrespect from offenders
Stressful, understaffed, overworked
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Tabor City, NCAugust 14, 2018
Everyday is different, the management doesn't do their job but you're expected to do your share and theirs, they're understaffed to the point where they force you to work 12-18 hours a day at least 6 days a week, you can't take vacation because there isn't enough manpower to cover your day off be it birthday, special occassion, or otherwise.
Benefits
Cons
Long unpredictable work hours, no life/work balance, bad management
Overall
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Lumberton, NCAugust 10, 2018
NCDPS is an excellent work environment and career. You must remain competent and aware of your surroundings at all times. Teamwork is always number one. Great benefits and career advancements. Training is extensive and to the point. Skill, Knowledge and precision is a must.
Pros
You can move up or transfer throughout the state, good pay.
Cons
Constant turnovers. This job is not for everyone
Poor management cut throat environment.
ISO (Former Employee) –  NCJuly 18, 2018
I worked my way up DOC then PPO.Confusing my supervisor was a micro manager.If you were in the click you were good.If you want then to bad.It was a very dangerous job as I went to offenders home.The guy I worked with wanted to arrest everyone on our caseload.It seemed for the stupidest things. I am not bitter but glad it’s over.
Pros
Training
Cons
Pricks, Confusion
Correction Officer
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCJuly 9, 2018
Working as a Correction Officer was an exciting job. It was fast paced at times always something to do. I would recommend any young vibrate person to apply. It has very good benefits.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No team players
Probation and Parole Officer (Former Employee) –  Lillington, NCJuly 5, 2018
The job is good if you don’t mind the stress that comes with it. They provide tons of training and opportunities for advancement. The benefits are good.
Probation and Parole Officer (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCJuly 2, 2018
It was fast pace. Very serious about your case load. I enjoyed working aroung fun and professional employees. The workplace culture was nice and pleasant. I enjoyed supervising probationers on my caseload. And I enjoyed daily learning about the criminal justice system and being in control of my caseloads.
Pros
Paid lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Great to work for, but dangerous.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Morganton, NCJune 27, 2018
I highly recommend! Great pay, benefits, advancement opportunities, and work schedule. When you work there, over time, you build friendships that will last a lifetime. Like family.
Pros
Great pay! Once certified, you can work anywhere in the state.
Cons
Always under stress due to possible staff or inmate assaults.
I would recommend
Probation & Parole Officer (Current Employee) –  Durham County, NCJune 22, 2018
This is a great starting point for anyone in search of an entry-level position in law enforcement or criminal justice. It is what you make of it but just remember its a stepping stone.
ok
Juvenile Court Counselor (Current Employee) –  Raeford, NCJune 13, 2018
Management refuses to support staff when a decision needs to be made.
a typical day is always different its hard to plan a day because everyday is different. Coworkers are friendly but management restricts the things you can do with juveniles.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
restrictions