NCI Building Systems Employee Reviews

Great place to
Operator (Current Employee) –  TexasApril 17, 2018
Employees and management work well together. Each member of the team understands the expectations of their role. The hours are long and hot in summer months. Nice place to work on winter, maintain 80 degrees in plant. Employee safety is a primary focus and discussed daily. I would recommend to a friend. Recent internal promotions makes it a possibility.
Pros
Team atmosphere
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sheridan, ARMarch 26, 2018
This is a good place to work great pay vacation pay people are great even the top bosses that's why I loved this job clean environment 401k plans everything was great
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Dont get paid while on breaks
Don't stick to their motto
Production Welder (GMAW) (Former Employee) –  Monticello, IAJanuary 24, 2018
Understand right away if you plan on having a life out of work this place is not for you. They are under employed, really don't take initiative to try and hire more people, and leave everyone who does work there to work ridiculously long hours. They want safety and quality to be the main things their employees to worry about, but then get upset when production is down. This also comes back to the point of being under-employed. Most of the people you work with though are really nice and great team players
Pros
Scrap metal bonus quarterly.
Cons
No vacation till after you worked 90 days
Production Control
Production Scheduler/Programmer (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IAJanuary 16, 2018
I love what I do at NCI. My position keeps me busy, and this is one reason I enjoy doing this. However, I have been doing 2 jobs for the last 2 years, and I have not been given a raise to compensate for this. I have asked, but no one seems to take me seriously. I don't feel things are addressed, so the moral is not very good. The most challenging part of my job is when a revision comes in after the shop floor has already started processing it. I'm good at troubleshooting, and helping fellow co-workers with the issues they come across.
Poor Safety leadership - Long Hours - The good leaders leave.
Welder (Current Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, IAJanuary 7, 2018
The Safety is very bad. The overtime is not supervised. In the 3 years I have worked there only 1 manager was worker friendly and really cared about Safety and fixing things to make work better and He quit last fall. No family life. poor supervision.
Pros
Cons
all
Stressful with excessive overtime for over 6 months
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IAJanuary 3, 2018
Employee's are expected to work from 5 AM to 5 PM every weekday and 8+ hours on Saturday. Very seldom is Sunday work required. All material is heavy and can be sharp so PPE is required at all jobs even when it is hot and humid.
Pros
Paid vacations and sick days plus good benifits
Cons
Long hours stressful work.
Too many hours in a hot building
Machine Hemmer (Former Employee) –  Atwater, CADecember 13, 2017
No air conditioning. Horrid working conditions make for unhappy workers. Working 12 hours a day for 5 days a week leaves no time to do anything outside of work. Plus weekends sometimes too.
good place to work
Pull Through Welder (Current Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNDecember 8, 2017
Nci is a great place to work. good pay and benefits and management and safety. one of the only things wrong is that most of the jobs you stand in the same spot for 12 hours a day.
Pros
good pay
Cons
most jobs you stand in one place
Great Place below Market value Pay
Project Estimator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 22, 2017
Great management and place to work. pay is about 40% below industry average for Houston. when questioned on pay, they go to answer is "well that's oil and gas pay.", its not. Same industry pay in houston is about 40% higher. Other than that, this is an excellent place to work.
Productive and decent place to work
Corporate Fixed Assets Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 6, 2017
The NCI workplace is a relaxed environment with friendly, knowledgable people. I enjoyed learning from my superiors and advancing in my career. There was plenty of opportunity for growth.
Upper management needs to work on their people skills
Maintenance Manager and Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GASeptember 11, 2017
upper management don't respect lower management personal. after you get to a certain level of pay and age they make you a fall guy to get you out of the company.
Pros
Pto
Cons
can never use all your PTO
I enjoyed working for this company.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Airway Heights, WASeptember 10, 2017
I was able to move up very quickly. Very few places nearby where you can come in and make quite as much money as you do at this facility. I ended up having to leave for what would later surface as medical reasons. Miss working here. I got the job at the age of 21, and the overwhelming majority of the workplace culture is middle aged and older men, so be aware of that. It's also 99% male, if for whatever reason that's an issue for you.
Pros
Overtime opportunities, great benefits
Cons
Overtime is mandatory
Just another Company when it didnt used to be
Confidental (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 9, 2017
Was a great company, but they have to change numbers for the Board. So they change the people. They let all senior employees go to get "new Culture". They outsourced many of the US jobs overseas.
Good luck with that.
Pros
they are still in the black, so if your new you have a chance
Cons
Traditional values of employee retention are gone, if you want to be a number.... go for it!
Ok place if you don't have a family
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, IASeptember 7, 2017
Decent place to work when everything is on schedule. As soon as you get behind, you're working 12 hour shifts or more during the week and 10 hour shifts on saturday with one day off if you're lucky.
Upper management/supervisors/team leads stick together. They don't take constructive criticism or any ideas to make anything better or more efficient. You basically deal with the problems and push through them and get the work done whether anything gets better or not. That also means, if you have a life outside of work, you can kiss that goodbye. If you need to go to the bank or leave early for your kid's sports event, nope. Work is more important than family. Be aware that they say safety is #1, but its really production.
Pros
Paid holidays and benefits
Cons
Management sucks! Long hours with no leeway.
Just don't
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNSeptember 6, 2017
Unless you want to practically live at the shop and enjoy being micromanaged and having your work criticized constantly I would look elsewhere for work.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Everything else
Not a good place
Buyer/Inventory Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 16, 2017
Very long hours, learned very little practical knowledge, management is terrible, cutthroat environment, very demanding, little to no joy about the company overall
Pros
flexible on hours
Cons
Management (overall), no enjoyment, not a good company
Outsource Galore!
Drafting Detailer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 8, 2017
Long hours, decent wage, nice benefiets. Very little communication up the corporate chain. Works out if you well if you are not expecting to give much to this job.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Family forgets who you are
Good
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Monticello, IAJuly 31, 2017
Its a good place too work for .and the people are good too you . I you need anything done they get it done they do give you welding experience .its a good place too work ..
Interview cancelled after scheduled time
Inside Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Adel, GAJuly 20, 2017
I had an interview scheduled at 2pm, which was on the book several days in advance. After the scheduled interview time, the recruiter emailed me that they had to cancel the interview (but did not attempt to reschedule.) I had moved plans around to make that time slot.
Cons
unpredictable
Ex Purchasing / Buyer
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Monticello, IAJuly 2, 2017
I worked at this company for 14 years and was then laid off. When company was Star Building Systems it was not bad to work at. After Star was bought out everything went
south . People in m y department { 2 ] we back stabbers and forced me out because I did not fit into there game plan because I can't screw people over every day. Worst job and work place now. Don't waste time looking here there is no future for this company.
Pros
Cons
tomany

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NCI Building Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6