NCI Building Systems Employee Reviews

Great people to work with and for
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, IASeptember 4, 2018
As manager my team was close and worked well together. This made work easier to go to. Especially when we worked 12 hour days. My managers were easy to work for and overall its a great experience,
Place is great
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 28, 2018
This place is a great environment to learn many key principles if one is motivated to do so. While working here I have learned the manufacturing process, 5s, lean manufacturing, and six sigma.
It was ok
HR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston TXAugust 19, 2018
It was okay will it lasted. Didn’t like that they were making a lot of changes as far as letting people go that worked there 10+ years. The work culture was changing a lot and it was just not organized and lack of communication.
NCI is being sold to Ply-Gem
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2018
NCI Building Systems is in the process of being sold to Ply-Gem, layoffs in some locations should be expected, as well as some possible facility closures. Changes could be for the better or for worse, for now management is keeping it all secret, so far all is unknown for the little people, we will see when the buyout is complete in 2019.
Nothing you do is good
Labeler, Material handler, General Helper (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 14, 2018
Woke up at 4 am my drive was a bit a longer than usual, clocked in helped people clock in because the change the clock in system a lot for some odd reason, after that morning meetings and then after 20 minutes or so we went to work; Inspected that the labels were correct for the job that was loading that day or the day before to make sure everything was out in time, had to talk to shipping to make sure they had all the materials needed to continue their operations. 3 hours into walking labeling and talking to management explaining to them whats going on break time about 15 minutes, then after that searing for jobs that load up first for the next day until lunch at 11 then brake again at 3pm and 6 pm or so we leave. Arrived home at 8 pm due to commute.
Pros
Stable job
Cons
Low pay, work never gets noticed, you will not see your family
No life but work
Finish/ structrual/pipe welder cwb/aws certs (Former Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNAugust 6, 2018
As a welder I was put by myself no matter how much I did or what extra I did it was never enough. Nothing but negativity on 2nd shift moral is low everyone wants to leave but can't there stuck because they have no time to look for another job. I asked for the 31st off 2 weeks ago never got an answer. My welding jacket had the whole side tore out of it ask 3 times for a new one . just walked by like a 2 year old. 15.50 an hour isn't worth being mad and depressed at work.
Pros
Day shift is awesome
Cons
2nd shift is where youll be
Lots of overtime
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IAJuly 23, 2018
Over schedules jobs so you are required to work overtime, 12 hour days/6 days a week. If you need any time off, including needing a Saturday, you have to take vacation.
What a Waste!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New MexicoJuly 9, 2018
Overall my job was great.. The Most recent Supervisor I had was very unfair and biased against me for whatever reason. He judged me off the short time we worked together without giving me a chance.

My crew was great and assisted me and backed me up. Just wish had more time to prove myself. Just a waste of my time.
Pros
Compensation, Benefits, Work Hours
Cons
Unsupportive Immediate Supervisor, No progressive Discipline
If you don’t have an outside life this is your job
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Tolleson, AZJuly 8, 2018
Typical day there goes from 5am to 630pm Monday through Friday and 5 am to 230pm Saturday’s and 5 hrs Sunday . The management there completely disregards the employees ideas and feelings . It’s a super toxic environment among all lines ! Most employees leave before there 3 month “review” period. Oh and don’t let me get started on the work load they are SUPER UNORGANIZED. You can bust your butt all day long there and NO ONE will seem to care about it.
Pros
It’s one of the safest places to work .
Cons
Super toxic people and unorganized management
Typical day at work
Drafter/Detailer II (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 20, 2018
My typical day at work is very competitive and with a steady almost fast pace. I love what I do as a detailer and im always looking for ways to improve my skills and expand my knowledge.

Want to know more about NCI Building Systems?

Ask a question
A lot of favortizam
line helper (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, INMay 5, 2018
If you are an immigrant or an illegal great place for you to work. They pick and choose who gets advanced or hired on GOD for bid you have an emergency and have to miss a few days during your probation period they will push your hire date back a month or two.
Pros
Not much
Cons
You get one break and lunch for 45 mins
Last resort
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNApril 26, 2018
70+ hours a week, 6 day work weeks. Good insurance but that is it. They lie about pay and raises, not a chance to move up unless you have relatives working for the company. Also it is a prerequisite to be a scum bag to be promoted. They work you to death and then expect more. Supervision doesn’t know how to supervise and lack of job knowledge is Plentiful Among the supervision and upper management.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Everything else
Great place to
Operator (Current Employee) –  TexasApril 17, 2018
Employees and management work well together. Each member of the team understands the expectations of their role. The hours are long and hot in summer months. Nice place to work on winter, maintain 80 degrees in plant. Employee safety is a primary focus and discussed daily. I would recommend to a friend. Recent internal promotions makes it a possibility.
Pros
Team atmosphere
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sheridan, ARMarch 26, 2018
This is a good place to work great pay vacation pay people are great even the top bosses that's why I loved this job clean environment 401k plans everything was great
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Dont get paid while on breaks
Don't stick to their motto
Production Welder (GMAW) (Former Employee) –  Monticello, IAJanuary 24, 2018
Understand right away if you plan on having a life out of work this place is not for you. They are under employed, really don't take initiative to try and hire more people, and leave everyone who does work there to work ridiculously long hours. They want safety and quality to be the main things their employees to worry about, but then get upset when production is down. This also comes back to the point of being under-employed. Most of the people you work with though are really nice and great team players
Pros
Scrap metal bonus quarterly.
Cons
No vacation till after you worked 90 days
Production Control
Production Scheduler/Programmer (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IAJanuary 16, 2018
I love what I do at NCI. My position keeps me busy, and this is one reason I enjoy doing this. However, I have been doing 2 jobs for the last 2 years, and I have not been given a raise to compensate for this. I have asked, but no one seems to take me seriously. I don't feel things are addressed, so the moral is not very good. The most challenging part of my job is when a revision comes in after the shop floor has already started processing it. I'm good at troubleshooting, and helping fellow co-workers with the issues they come across.
Poor Safety leadership - Long Hours - The good leaders leave.
Welder (Current Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, IAJanuary 7, 2018
The Safety is very bad. The overtime is not supervised. In the 3 years I have worked there only 1 manager was worker friendly and really cared about Safety and fixing things to make work better and He quit last fall. No family life. poor supervision.
Pros
Cons
all
Stressful with excessive overtime for over 6 months
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IAJanuary 3, 2018
Employee's are expected to work from 5 AM to 5 PM every weekday and 8+ hours on Saturday. Very seldom is Sunday work required. All material is heavy and can be sharp so PPE is required at all jobs even when it is hot and humid.
Pros
Paid vacations and sick days plus good benifits
Cons
Long hours stressful work.
Steel company
Roll grinder (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 17, 2017
Great place to work...good management and hard workers. This company paints and slits steel that is used in buildings, construction, and a lot of other items. You work together as a team and work long hours
Pros
Energetic
Cons
Hot in summer
Not a fun place
Vice President Technical Services (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 13, 2017
Job was highly dictated by corporate office and if you are not located in Corporate office your ideas and skills did not matter. Hardest part of job was to keep current on projects in a changing priority environment. Support people we good and hard working,
Pros
Insurance was good
Cons
environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NCI Building Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8