NCI Building Systems Employee Reviews

Works Good Long Hours
Shop Machinist (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 28, 2019
Management was very poorly. Auotmosephere at work was friendly. Coworkers were easy to get along with. Work went by fast and kept busy. Loved learning new techniques on different machinery.
Pros
Cons
managment
I really like My job.
Shear / Small Parts (Former Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 25, 2019
It was a good place to work. Got along with pretty much everyone there. Just had some personal issues going on in my life would return there anytime. I liked that my immediate supervisor was a good guy, and tried to be understand and helpful to all the guys who worked for him. I wish things had been better in my life at that time, I believe I could have worked there until retirement.
Pros
fair pay
Cons
sometimes having to work every weekend
Not a good place to work
Operator 2 (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 26, 2018
It's a good place to work if you don't want to have a life. 11 hours a day, no ac, lack of advancement. Poor management creates an atmosphere of confusion.
Safety is always first
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Monticello, IADecember 7, 2018
They not only preach, practice safety is always number one. They provide the personal protective equipment needed for each job and/or position you are working. If you don't know, don't do it and ask someone for help.
I would not reccomend this job to anyone
Dcoil (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 29, 2018
I currently worked there for about 8 months night shift the supervisors are very to faced if you have a problem with someone you are working with they will go a d tell this person everything you said. The people are very racist and cutthroat they will promise you more money if you learn other positions and when it's time to pay they will not pay you anything the co workers will half way train you to just get you by but won't show you everything because there scared that you will take there position. Also every time you make a mistake your either getting a warning or a write up and they will tell you your not in trouble they will use the information to use against you when time for a pay raise. At the end of the day if your there for a paycheck and to get by that's the job for you!!! But know your a just another body and nobody cares about you.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Very hot
Productive work environment
Strip inspector (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, OHNovember 27, 2018
Competitive workplace,...company strives for quality work,....very good company to work for when it comes to treating employees well,....excellent benefits....only reason looking for another job is distance from home
Pros
Good pay, ....good hours
Cons
Drive 50 miles daily to and from work, ....would like job in city of residence
Good Company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  TexasNovember 20, 2018
NCI seems to be doing their part in growing their business. Pay is great, coworkers are great, working from home is great. However, management allows corporate to set unrealistic goals y-o-y which creates a lot of stress for various departments. Most managers seem clueless when it relates to specific market strategies and competition. If you cannot make your goals, you will be let go, its that simple.
Pros
Pay, Coworkers, Life Balance
Cons
No individual market strategies.
Most recent team lead was good, still poorly managed.
Coater Operator (Former Employee) –  Middletown OhioNovember 17, 2018
No stability, they promise for months that the schedule would pick up and we’d be working more than 3 days per week, only the brown nosing employees are getting more than that to this day, management lied to try and retain morale , no room for advancement , doesn’t care about hard work.
Pros
We finally started getting lunch breaks like a month before I quit?
Cons
Everything else, and didn’t even give lunch breaks until they were threatened with a union.
Ups and downs
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNNovember 5, 2018
As with any place there are ups and downs there has been alot of changes over the past 5 or so years and some good some bad but we are the premier provider of manufactured metal buildings there is plenty of room to make alot of money and training is very good today better than 5 years ago. Benefits are great and pay is decent for the area
Difficult Place to Work
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 25, 2018
My role was uniquely created just for me and a few staff that I hired to assist. As it wasn't a mainstream function, I didn't participate in the daily course of business. For that reason, I choose not to elaborate further.
Pros
Large Company - Lots of resources
Cons
Large Company - Lots of mis-management within the organization
Robots wanted
Press Brake Operator (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYOctober 24, 2018
Management will not listen to the employees on the floor. We have no say so in nothing. If you come up with a good ideal to improve the safety or production, they will not payattention to it. Management can have the same ideal a month later and try it . Management gets all the credit. They are strict on safety, that is a good thing. Do not tell hr nothing that you want to kept as a secret.
Pros
Good money, over time
career black hole
Director (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 24, 2018
Shifting priorities and unproductive meetings fill the day.
Underlying culture of playing "Survivor" to keep your job in a highly political environment. Horrible 1960's facilities which they lease. Clueless management in Houston who did not visit or communicate with remote employees. CIO and CEO concerned with writing books, stock allocations, and bonuses for themselves.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Politics, Management, CD&R involvement, HR Group.
Played favorites really bad.
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  Monticello, IAOctober 5, 2018
Terrible management, one person would get consequences for doing something, yet another person does is and nothing happens to that person. Dirty working environment.
Pros
A lot of hours
Cons
A lot of hours, favoritism, lack of communication.
Too much backstabbing.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYOctober 4, 2018
Too much cut throat things happening. Not to mention the shady job advancements of certain employees only if related to plant manager. Not much of chance for moving up. Some employees are ok, most of them though backstab others in hopes it'll get them somewhere with the company.
Pros
Shift hours
Cons
Backstabbing employees, short breaks, HR dept, unability to progress
Brown Nosers Wanted
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNSeptember 26, 2018
This company loves to promote long tenured machine operators to mgmt positions. Even if the person didn't finish high school but worked for the company for 25 years in trim, that means they are qualified to be a supply chain manager, 6S Champion or Superintendent.

Work is scheduled by the ton v. bottlenecks. They love to handle material 14 times or ship it across the country between plants before adding any value via production. Defects are built into the product and allowed to move from department to department, then blame is assigned to the last person to touch the product. For example the welder gets the blame for not realizing a beam was 2 feet too short even though the saw operator made the wrong cut measurement.

Long hours on concrete. Things are always improving, you wait... until next quarter.
Pros
Decent paychecks after working 60-68 hours in a week
Cons
Short sighted, nepotism, not lean management culture
Great people to work with and for
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, IASeptember 4, 2018
As manager my team was close and worked well together. This made work easier to go to. Especially when we worked 12 hour days. My managers were easy to work for and overall its a great experience,
Place is great
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 28, 2018
This place is a great environment to learn many key principles if one is motivated to do so. While working here I have learned the manufacturing process, 5s, lean manufacturing, and six sigma.
disappointing
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Lexington, TNAugust 19, 2018
In the 7 years I have worked here I only had lateral moves - never what you call a promotion. The work is long and boring and management keeps everyone in the dark.
The other people i work with are great.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
lack of opportunity
It was ok
HR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston TXAugust 19, 2018
It was okay will it lasted. Didn’t like that they were making a lot of changes as far as letting people go that worked there 10+ years. The work culture was changing a lot and it was just not organized and lack of communication.
NCI is being sold to Ply-Gem
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2018
NCI Building Systems is in the process of being sold to Ply-Gem, layoffs in some locations should be expected, as well as some possible facility closures. Changes could be for the better or for worse, for now management is keeping it all secret, so far all is unknown for the little people, we will see when the buyout is complete in 2019.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NCI Building Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8