NCI Building Systems Employee Reviews

Ups and downs
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNNovember 5, 2018
As with any place there are ups and downs there has been alot of changes over the past 5 or so years and some good some bad but we are the premier provider of manufactured metal buildings there is plenty of room to make alot of money and training is very good today better than 5 years ago. Benefits are great and pay is decent for the area
Robots wanted
Press Brake Operator (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYOctober 24, 2018
Management will not listen to the employees on the floor. We have no say so in nothing. If you come up with a good ideal to improve the safety or production, they will not payattention to it. Management can have the same ideal a month later and try it . Management gets all the credit. They are strict on safety, that is a good thing. Do not tell hr nothing that you want to kept as a secret.
Pros
Good money, over time
career black hole
Director (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 24, 2018
Shifting priorities and unproductive meetings fill the day.
Underlying culture of playing "Survivor" to keep your job in a highly political environment. Horrible 1960's facilities which they lease. Clueless management in Houston who did not visit or communicate with remote employees. CIO and CEO concerned with writing books, stock allocations, and bonuses for themselves.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Politics, Management, CD&R involvement, HR Group.
Played favorites really bad.
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  Monticello, IAOctober 5, 2018
Terrible management, one person would get consequences for doing something, yet another person does is and nothing happens to that person. Dirty working environment.
Pros
A lot of hours
Cons
A lot of hours, favoritism, lack of communication.
Too much backstabbing.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYOctober 4, 2018
Too much cut throat things happening. Not to mention the shady job advancements of certain employees only if related to plant manager. Not much of chance for moving up. Some employees are ok, most of them though backstab others in hopes it'll get them somewhere with the company.
Pros
Shift hours
Cons
Backstabbing employees, short breaks, HR dept, unability to progress
Brown Nosers Wanted
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNSeptember 26, 2018
This company loves to promote long tenured machine operators to mgmt positions. Even if the person didn't finish high school but worked for the company for 25 years in trim, that means they are qualified to be a supply chain manager, 6S Champion or Superintendent.

Work is scheduled by the ton v. bottlenecks. They love to handle material 14 times or ship it across the country between plants before adding any value via production. Defects are built into the product and allowed to move from department to department, then blame is assigned to the last person to touch the product. For example the welder gets the blame for not realizing a beam was 2 feet too short even though the saw operator made the wrong cut measurement.

Long hours on concrete. Things are always improving, you wait... until next quarter.
Pros
Decent paychecks after working 60-68 hours in a week
Cons
Short sighted, nepotism, not lean management culture
Great people to work with and for
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, IASeptember 4, 2018
As manager my team was close and worked well together. This made work easier to go to. Especially when we worked 12 hour days. My managers were easy to work for and overall its a great experience,
Place is great
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 28, 2018
This place is a great environment to learn many key principles if one is motivated to do so. While working here I have learned the manufacturing process, 5s, lean manufacturing, and six sigma.
disappointing
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Lexington, TNAugust 19, 2018
In the 7 years I have worked here I only had lateral moves - never what you call a promotion. The work is long and boring and management keeps everyone in the dark.
The other people i work with are great.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
lack of opportunity
It was ok
HR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston TXAugust 19, 2018
It was okay will it lasted. Didn’t like that they were making a lot of changes as far as letting people go that worked there 10+ years. The work culture was changing a lot and it was just not organized and lack of communication.
NCI is being sold to Ply-Gem
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2018
NCI Building Systems is in the process of being sold to Ply-Gem, layoffs in some locations should be expected, as well as some possible facility closures. Changes could be for the better or for worse, for now management is keeping it all secret, so far all is unknown for the little people, we will see when the buyout is complete in 2019.
Nothing you do is good
Labeler, Material handler, General Helper (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 14, 2018
Woke up at 4 am my drive was a bit a longer than usual, clocked in helped people clock in because the change the clock in system a lot for some odd reason, after that morning meetings and then after 20 minutes or so we went to work; Inspected that the labels were correct for the job that was loading that day or the day before to make sure everything was out in time, had to talk to shipping to make sure they had all the materials needed to continue their operations. 3 hours into walking labeling and talking to management explaining to them whats going on break time about 15 minutes, then after that searing for jobs that load up first for the next day until lunch at 11 then brake again at 3pm and 6 pm or so we leave. Arrived home at 8 pm due to commute.
Pros
Stable job
Cons
Low pay, work never gets noticed, you will not see your family
No life but work
Finish/ structrual/pipe welder cwb/aws certs (Former Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNAugust 6, 2018
As a welder I was put by myself no matter how much I did or what extra I did it was never enough. Nothing but negativity on 2nd shift moral is low everyone wants to leave but can't there stuck because they have no time to look for another job. I asked for the 31st off 2 weeks ago never got an answer. My welding jacket had the whole side tore out of it ask 3 times for a new one . just walked by like a 2 year old. 15.50 an hour isn't worth being mad and depressed at work.
Pros
Day shift is awesome
Cons
2nd shift is where youll be
Lots of overtime
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IAJuly 23, 2018
Over schedules jobs so you are required to work overtime, 12 hour days/6 days a week. If you need any time off, including needing a Saturday, you have to take vacation.
What a Waste!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New MexicoJuly 9, 2018
Overall my job was great.. The Most recent Supervisor I had was very unfair and biased against me for whatever reason. He judged me off the short time we worked together without giving me a chance.

My crew was great and assisted me and backed me up. Just wish had more time to prove myself. Just a waste of my time.
Pros
Compensation, Benefits, Work Hours
Cons
Unsupportive Immediate Supervisor, No progressive Discipline
If you don’t have an outside life this is your job
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Tolleson, AZJuly 8, 2018
Typical day there goes from 5am to 630pm Monday through Friday and 5 am to 230pm Saturday’s and 5 hrs Sunday . The management there completely disregards the employees ideas and feelings . It’s a super toxic environment among all lines ! Most employees leave before there 3 month “review” period. Oh and don’t let me get started on the work load they are SUPER UNORGANIZED. You can bust your butt all day long there and NO ONE will seem to care about it.
Pros
It’s one of the safest places to work .
Cons
Super toxic people and unorganized management
Typical day at work
Drafter/Detailer II (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 20, 2018
My typical day at work is very competitive and with a steady almost fast pace. I love what I do as a detailer and im always looking for ways to improve my skills and expand my knowledge.
A lot of favortizam
line helper (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, INMay 5, 2018
If you are an immigrant or an illegal great place for you to work. They pick and choose who gets advanced or hired on GOD for bid you have an emergency and have to miss a few days during your probation period they will push your hire date back a month or two.
Pros
Not much
Cons
You get one break and lunch for 45 mins
Last resort
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNApril 26, 2018
70+ hours a week, 6 day work weeks. Good insurance but that is it. They lie about pay and raises, not a chance to move up unless you have relatives working for the company. Also it is a prerequisite to be a scum bag to be promoted. They work you to death and then expect more. Supervision doesn’t know how to supervise and lack of job knowledge is Plentiful Among the supervision and upper management.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Everything else
Great place to
Operator (Current Employee) –  TexasApril 17, 2018
Employees and management work well together. Each member of the team understands the expectations of their role. The hours are long and hot in summer months. Nice place to work on winter, maintain 80 degrees in plant. Employee safety is a primary focus and discussed daily. I would recommend to a friend. Recent internal promotions makes it a possibility.
Pros
Team atmosphere
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NCI Building Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8