Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services

Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services Employee Reviews

Horrid place to work
Child Protection Worker (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 10, 2019
Case load was too high. Management was not helpful. Recommends the child be returned home knowing it is unsafe. The juvenile system was not helping families.
Pros
Helping children
Cons
fast paced job, worked as a team
Child Support Enforcement Worker (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, NEMarch 27, 2019
we would start every day with a meeting to get us up and running. review our job requirements. and then look at the alerts letting us know what had to be done.
Long hours with poor management
Youth Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Geneva, NEMarch 15, 2019
The management is extremely wishy washy with policies and procedures and overtime is extreme with the amount of short staffing problems. And there are no step raises.
Pros
free lunch
Departmental dysfunction
Child and Family Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 2, 2019
Stated dept objective is unachieved, at best. Questions asked of management were treated as "challenges" instead of understood to be a seeking to understand by the employee. The all-female managerial staff wrongly treated my (male) questions to policies or directives as "challenges" to their decision-making. There is an extremely high turnover in the job, which seems to be mostly due to a lack of a true mentoring of new hires. Training is pretty good, but somewhat incomplete. After leaving formal training in Lincoln, new employees are often given a "mentor" who has to speed through orienting the new hires through the basics without a truly-detailed one-on-one period of time which is long enough for the mentee to gain proficiency in the job before such is expected of him/her.
I was one who had a true passion for the stated objectives of the CFS division of "family preservation". I honestly wanted to be there to support that goal! It saddens me to know they didn't see that. It was an important thing to me, and to my sense of right and wrong which I was truly trying to help to achieve. I struggled to perform in the job only due to insufficient orientation, training, and time given to gain proficiency. There was also (seemingly) an attitude of pessimistic regard for families which had histories of abuse or neglect and an attitude of "remove-first, investigate-later" which I tried to understand better, and because of which, was railroaded out of the department.
I genuinely want the CFS to do well. I agree with their 'stated' goals. There are SEVERELY underfunded, understaffed,
  more... and overworked. I wish I could've stayed and helped. I know I could've, but, unfortunately, they viewed me in a wrong light.  less
Pros
Government employee retirement plan
Cons
Working conditions; managerial attitudes; office politics
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  North Platte, NEJanuary 17, 2019
Learning experience
Rewarding
Relationships
Educational trainings, support groups, parental classes
Connections with biological families
Foster Adoptive resources
Pros
Experience
Cons
Respite
Good job if you can relax
Child and Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 11, 2018
Tough work with a lot of deadlines and demands, but if you are organized and can take time to relax and revamp, you'll be fine.

I could choose between working a 5day x 8hr work week, or a 4 day x 10hr week.

Some fun people here, but there is a lot of swearing so if you don't like that ... :)
I enjoyed working with families to prevent involvement with CPS and the courts.
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  1313 Farnam, Omaha, NENovember 23, 2018
Worked daily in office. People in unit, including supervisors, were very supportive and helpful. Worker carried a caseload of around 15 families for intensive social care. Worker visited each family, in their home, twice a month and discussed barriers to needed resources. Worker assisted families in appropriate discipline and tips on working with difficult behaviors. Worker documented all contact regarding each family and staffed each case with clinical supervisor monthly. Focus for working with families was brief family based, solution oriented problem solving and resource referral. I learned from families as well so that I was better equipped each time I met another new family. It was very rewarding to help families and children stay out of the system. All families were participating in a voluntary capacity so they were usually open to new ideas. The hardest part was seeing families occasionally find their way into the court system because they were unable to change their own patterns of behavior.
Pros
Rewarding keeping families out of the system.
Cons
Disturbing when families were unable to make necessary changes to stay out of the court system.
laid back job
Case Aide (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 14, 2018
I love this job it was challenging and I learned new things everyday, took care of the billing and love speaking with customers over the phone and in person. Flexible hours with paid time off and holiday pay.
The work was enjoyable but the environment was deflating.
CHILD AND FAMILY SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 29, 2018
While I learned many leadership skills during my time with NDHHS the leadership itself lacked many skills. The people I supervised were fantastic at their jobs, but their work load was unmanageable and unsustainable. Turnover was huge and little was done by management to understand it or to do anything about it.
Good Pay but be ready for high levels of stress.
Social Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 21, 2018
The job pays well, the training is at best rushed through. If you can pick up the training with practically no practice time then you might do well. Management really does not help you much as they are all getting ready to retire and are no longer familiar with the current soft ware or operating system.
It's all about how much you can do, they do not care about the quality of your work but they will be all over you if you do not produce.
Pros
Decent rate of pay
Cons
Management is scant at best.
Billing problems
Self Employed Contractor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 19, 2018
The billing for Department of health and human services really was a joke. They also didn't seem to be interested in helping the contractor with understanding how or why billing changed so frequently. Would never recommend anyone do contractor work for DHHS.
you may like it....
Youth Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NESeptember 8, 2018
It was an experience, not all bad but one I can live without. Management style is unusual and you will be worked! Your opinion will only matter if it fits the program.
Working for DHHS is desirable
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 2, 2018
I will work for DHHS until I retire, pay has been alright, but I wish they allowed overtime. benefits are alright, but I wish they would have stayed with Blue Cross Blue Shield. Parking is excellent;
Pros
Decent Pay, Decent Insurance
Lincoln Regional Center
Performance Improvement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 24, 2018
I was responsible for program and hospital committees on program improvement and staff development. Conducted patient surveys and developed training materials for staff.
Department of Health and Human Services- Nebraska
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 24, 2018
A typical day at work is completing your assigned projects and assignments that come up during the day.
Learned to double check work projects, and work with management on difficult assignments.
Flexible and family Focused
Foster care resource development supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEAugust 18, 2018
Provides adequate time off to meet your family's needs and your own family is always a priority. Able to be flexible with your schedule to meet your needs.
Love the clients, management could use work
Social Service Worker-Children and Family services (Current Employee) –  Scottsbluff, NEJuly 30, 2018
The joys of helping the clients overshadow the bad management. Love my coworkers most days. The culture is good, it can be catty, but so goes any place.with 100 personnel.
Pros
work schedule
Lots of driving
Children and Family Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Geneva, NEJuly 30, 2018
Very stressful job. But the fulfillment of working with the families and helping them achieve goals they have helped set is such an amazing feeling. Lots of driving.
The workers really care about there job and helping children and families
Case Aide (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NebraskaJuly 27, 2018
worked with alot of good caring people that has a passion to help and the managers cared about there employees. If you needed help someone was always there to help.
Pros
Family like atmosphere
Cons
Needs to give better pay
Productive workplace
Social Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Dakota City, NEJuly 21, 2018
A typical work day would be pulling anywhere between 5-10 client applications from our computer program. I would then contact these clients and conduct interviews whether over the phone or in person to receive eligibility information. Depending on the client's situation, I would determine if they would be eligible for State benefits. I would then document any action I would have taken.

The hardest part of the job would be hearing and seeing clients who would be in desperate need of help and, due to policy guidelines, not being able to assist them.

I learned a plethora of skills of which I highly value. I truly appreciate the fact that I was able to improve upon my skills that revolved around people interactions.
Pros
Benefits, consistency, holidays off
Cons
Waiting to receive answers when a question would arise

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight