Nebraska Furniture Mart Inc. Employee Reviews

Featured review
Nebraska Furniture Mart Inc. selected this as a representative review
Great place to work with competitive pay.
CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Mart, TXDecember 3, 2018
The culture is a good one.
The upper management is the main issue and worked together to affect or derail someones job/career. They have been known to "Blacklist" anyone they don't agree with.
The history and core values the Mart are still the cornerstone of the company. It is the only company that has built an empire off of "Sell cheap and tell the truth." Founder Rose Blumpkin's own motto.
Pros
Pay, benefits, ability to transfer
Cons
Advancement opportunities tend to bottleneck
Great Place To Work
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  The Colony, TXFebruary 14, 2019
I truly enjoyed my position at NFM. The culture in the Merchandising Office was stressful but collaborative and management was always ready and willing to help.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Time set for project completion was unrealistic sometimes
run from this company
Sales (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSFebruary 1, 2019
It is a sinking ship at this point. Cut back are everywhere so everyone's salaries are decreasing and have for years. Management has no respect for their employee's and as they lose more successful and experienced people they will sink even faster. This is following the path of all the previous companies that failed in this line of work. Think of Sears, American tv and appliance, circuit city, comp usa.
Pros
Money was good tn years ago
Cons
cut backs, poor management, lowering wages.
Physically Taxing, be prepared to sweat a lot.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 29, 2019
Do not work in Machine Ops. They will abuse you for all you are worth. Working weekends is brutal, depending on what area you are working in you may not get break from standing and lifting couches, dressers, TV's, mattresses for 6+ hours. It's a go go culture, never stops. Work is terrible due to the new JDA software they installed which tracks you every minute monitoring how much product you are scanning, what location you scanned it to, and how long it took you to do it. One of the most stressful jobs I've ever had, dreaded going to work. Managers are hit or miss. Walking and standing on cement all day will give you knee problems. They never allow windows or doors to let in fresh air in the warehouse for fear of someone stealing product, therefore fumes from the touch up crew spraying chemicals on furniture can be toxic to breathe. There is an over arching feeling of maniacal control coming from upper management. Nice people do not last here.
Pros
Fun employees, comraderie due to disdain for management, pay, benefits.
Cons
Physically demanding, bad home/work balance, poor management.
It was coo
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 28, 2019
Nebraska Furniture Mart is a great place to work especially for younger people who can't work full time, or older people who need a place to sit down at work.
Pros
Green
Cons
Red
too much management vs. hourly
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 24, 2019
as a supervisor, overtime wasn't paid, day shift supervisors would leave after 8 hrs, but evening had to stay until job was done, often worked 12 hour days
Pros
pay
Cons
hours
Stable Company with a Great History
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 23, 2019
I've enjoyed working for NFM because of the family atmosphere, the ease of access to upper level management, the stability, and the long history that our culture is centered around.
Pros
Family Culture, Employee Discounts, Transparency of Upper Level Management
Friendly and an amazing place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 14, 2019
I enjoyed working there because everyone got along and we always had fun. The managers were friendly and understanding. The hours were flexible and I could pick up as many shifts as I wanted. We always had something to do.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
No cons
Amazing benefits
Display Specialist (Former Employee) –  The Colony, TXJanuary 4, 2019
i worked at two different NFM locations and i must say it was two different animals. In the texas location i hated going to work. it was the worst part of my day and i would not recommend my worst enemy to work at the location. from direct management to the HR, working at NFM TX made me hate the meaning of life! It was the complete opposite at the KS location. going into work at NFM KS i was always happy. it was a good time to work with the people i work with. direct management took care of us as well as HR. Going into work at NFM KS really was the most amazing part of my day. i truly loved it and would highly recommend people to apply and work there. the benefits and opportunity is really all in your hand at NFM. Overall as a company i loved it, i actually wish more companies would provide the type of benefits NFM did for me.
The employees are nice people to work with.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 27, 2018
Regimented, consistent traffic year-round, sell low and be honest, many friendly managers, good workplace culture, standing on concrete floors can be very difficult and cause health problems for many associates. The fellow employees throughout the store are nice citizens and a cohesive group. I love em!
Pros
Plenty of business consistently, along with descent training.
Cons
Management is changing the culture to compete with online businesses, I anticipate a decline in overall attitudinal atmosphere, some departments are overstaffed with salespeople and some aren't
Fun place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  The Colony, TXDecember 27, 2018
Nebraska Furniture Marr is a great place to work. Employees are treated like family. They also have great pay and benefits. I couldn’t worked for a better company.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 18, 2018
Calls regarding delivery's and scheduling. Management is great and are willing to help with any questions. Workplace enviroment is great. Hardest part of job is that it does get busy.
Pros
great work enviroment. benefits, growth
Cons
evenings and weekend day required
Low morale
Receiving Specialist (Current Employee) –  The Colony, TXDecember 5, 2018
Management kept everyone in the dark on promotions. Didn't keep anyone up to date on what the companies plans were. The hardest part of the job was it was third shift. Horrible insomnia. Just not healthy!!
only worked there before it opened
Construction (Former Employee) –  The Colony, TXDecember 4, 2018
Even though I worked in the warehouse doing construction, I could tell people from Nebraska treated people friendlier than in texas. The management treated me with respect even though I was just working construction.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
hot
only had a contract constroction position before the store opened
Construction (Former Employee) –  The Colony, TXDecember 4, 2018
I never got a chance to actually work in the company after it opened, I enjoyed the atmosphere while there for a few months and was asked to come do two more projects. One after the store had open in the warehouse and the people I worked around didn't look at me like just a construction worker, the only bad experience was with the security guard.
Pros
got experience getting certified on a crown electric and sizer lift
Cons
it was just temporary
Good commisions
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 2, 2018
This company offer's good compensation if you cooperate. Meaning if your high achiever the management will seek your resignation from jealously. They are commissioned personnel so if you work hard you can make a good decent living.
Good place to career
Commissioned sales (Former Employee) –  The Colony, TXDecember 1, 2018
I worked for 15 years for NFM, 11 years in Kansas and 4 years in Texas. The money was good if you worked hard. Their benefits packages were the best I'd ever seen. My only complaint is that they tried to make the Omaha, KCK, and Texas stores and even playing field in terms of the commission rate for sales. The cost of living in Dallas is a lot greater than it is in Kansas or Nebraska. Otherwise as a sale person your were given all the tools you needed to be successful, you just needed to apply yourself.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Separate the 3 locations
Great for the average employee, but not for management
Head of Digital Marketing (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 25, 2018
NFM has a reputation in Omaha as a great place to work, and somewhere that has dominated the market for 80 years.

They have a decent onboarding process, and they definitely sell you on the culture and training programs available to you. The family history and culture is great on the surface, but at the top the leadership does not represent the same values.

As a manager you are given multiple courses on leadership and management development, however above the mid-manager level those rules don't apply. You are forced to follow rules and processes that are not afforded to you as an employee. Not to mention most of their pay grades are well below market average, and don't compensate for any of these flaws.

Their highest leadership is full of micro-managers, and opinion driven leaders. Their actions never match their words; check boxes are more important than doing it right. They value internal untrained hires, instead of recruiting and paying for industry leading talent. If you don't fit in as a "yes" manager, you are talked about amongst leadership who has never worked with you, and many times forced out without proper coaching or adjustments.

I think for the majority of jobs that fall within sales, customer service, or warehousing it is a great opportunity for stable work. For home office staff; HR, Marketing, Merchandising, IT, or Ecommerce be prepared for an environment not up to par in the industry. The continued promotion of inexperience internals, and lack of trust of leadership has developed a toxic home office.

This company is too big to be run like
  more... a small family company.  less
Pros
stable and consistent work and revenue growth
Cons
poor leadership, poor compensation, very little opportunity for critical thinkers
Not a place I would reccomend a friend
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KS 66111November 11, 2018
The pay is decent, but they are not fair in treatment of their employees. If you are well liked by your manager the rules do not apply to you. It is a cut throat sales environment.
I would continue your search
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 11, 2018
I would not recommend Nebraska Furniture mart to anyone. You are not promoted based on sales or performance but, to how well you are connected with the higher ups. I saw them fire numerous people and changed the pay plan frequently to keep your income where they wanted it.
Very stressful place to work always wanting more.
Train and help hire staff (Current Employee) –  LegendsNovember 9, 2018
Not a fair work place if you are femal you will not be promoted. They really make you push their warranties. They give you the+worst hours if they don’t like you.
Pros
No holidays
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nebraska Furniture Mart Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight