Nebraska Public Power District Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Work Place
Condition Based Maintenance Technology Owner (Current Employee) –  Sutherland, NEJuly 3, 2018
NPPD is an outstanding company to work for. Great benefits, careers, people and management. It has been wonderful to work in the Public Power sector knowing that my efforts directly effect the customers wants and needs.
Good place to work with good benefits
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, NEMay 16, 2018
Good place to work. Good benefits. It's a nice place to work. Traditional Utility with a hierarchical structure that at times is onerous.
Location is pretty rural. Closest city of any size is 1.5 hours away.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Traditional Heirarchy
Typical days - long hours 100 percent travel away from home.
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Sutherland, NEApril 15, 2018
Not really any issues with NPPD - I worked as an on-site contractor and my issues were mostly with my company's management. Contractors treated about the same as anywhere else.
Nice People, Public Company
Electrical Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Columbus, NEJune 28, 2017
Your coworkers will be very nice and passionate, but the company as a whole doesn't feel the same way. Since it is a public company there were no bonuses at the end of the year and time sheets had to be completed and reviewed every pay period for all employees.
Ok
Material Handler, Gerald Gentleman Station (Current Employee) –  NebraskaApril 29, 2017
A typical work day involves a turnover with off going crew at locations that operate 24/7. The hardest part of a location that operates 24/7 is working a rotating shift.
Great Benefits, compensation not so much
SENIOR ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Brownville, NENovember 30, 2016
There were no evaluation criteria for personnel performance. When review time came around, employees found out the hard way that they were evaluated to a different set of criteria than what was discussed at the previous review. Usually, the evaluation criteria were kept secret so no adjustments could be accomplished prior to the review.
Pros
the people I worked with
Cons
management of personnel was lacking
What I learned at NPPD
Station Accountant/Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brownville, NE 68321August 29, 2016
The job had it's ups and downs, but I enjoyed my years there very much. Good people to work for.

I learned many new things on a daily basis.
Pros
compensation and benefits
Cons
Some very long hours for weeks at a time.
Nebraska Nice
Fire Marshal (Current Employee) –  Brownville NEAugust 17, 2016
Great area to raise you children. Safety area with low crime and good schools.

Cooper Nuclear Station was a work in progress when I arrived in 1997. The station has achieved INPO 1, become a trusted site with the NRC and has set many generation and run records.
Good people, environment.
Senior Staff Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Brownville, NEDecember 8, 2015
Locale is limited, must accept the limitations a small town imposes and/or accept an hour+ commute to larger metropolitan areas.
Work environment and culture need improvement.
System Control Engineer (Former Employee) –  Doniphan, NEJune 18, 2015
They are good as most company are. They provide great benefits more than some offerrs. ineffect they are the premier employer in the region.
Pros
a lot of hard working people
Cons
They need to improve their work culture.
Secure place to work.
Station Operator (Current Employee) –  Brownville, NEJanuary 2, 2015
Overall this is a good company to work for, the hardest part about working at Cooper Nuclear is the location.

You can learn continuously here and as long as you are a productive, honest employee you can almost guarantee that you will always have employment here.

If you're from the area you will likely never leave if you are working here. There isn't much for employment outside of the nuclear plant for about 50 miles, and the communities are tight nit.
Pros
benefits and compensation
Cons
location
Great job with great co-Workers
Machinist/Plant Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Southeast, NESeptember 14, 2014
Good place to work with Great coworkers. In a normal day I would get to work on various types of equipment and was able to make decisions of the repairs on my own. I learned many things working here such as keep up your administrative tasks or face disciplinary actions.
Pros
Semi flexible schedule
Cons
management detached from workers at times
Opportunities to learn were abundant
Senior Nuclear Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brownville, NEApril 9, 2014
I enjoyed working there for 33 years. They also supported my in my Master of Science Degree in Industrial Organizational Psychology
Pros
Learning Environment
Cons
Rotating Leadership