Neighborhood Assistance Corp. of America Employee Reviews

Some Were Happy, Many Were Unhappy
Housing Counselor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 12, 2019
Search for on-line for yourself, NACA has a somewhat dubious reputation. Some Clients were helped, many were not. Managers were brutal and unconcerned with employee welfare.
Exciting
Homesave Counselor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC 28212February 6, 2019
I enjoyed my time spent at NACA. I am a people person and love volunteering. This was a great job and great place to work. We worked long hours while the company was touring the Country and helping people. It was well worth it.
Pros
Helping others
Unorganized
Data entry (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 29, 2019
NACA is an organization that is not organized that has a great mission. It needs to be ran properly to fulfill its potential. The CEO doesn’t now conduct himself as one and does not know how to properly treat staff nor pay them.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
No yearly raises
If they cared it could be a great place to work
Housing Counselor (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaDecember 9, 2018
There was never a dull moment working for this company. If you are looking for a pay check you will fit in perfectly. If you genuinely care about helping people you will not last. They don't take training seriously at all but they will expect for you to counsel members knowing you are not providing accurate information to members as promised. The fee the company collect for counseling sessions become far more important than doing what they say they do. The underwriting policies change whenever the director feels like it. It's so bad upper management can't underwrite a file, so forget about requesting their help to fight for a member. When it comes to underwriting files an entry level underwriter has more authority than a Regional Manager. They just walk around with titles and not one iota of power to get things done making your job that much tougher. Finally the company needs to figure out how to embrace diversity. It's important to learn from one another, when the majority of your workforce is predominantly made up of one or two groups of people you get exactly what they have, a bunch of closed minded, in the box thinkers who have no desire to be challenged in any area of their lives. It is definitely a unique organization. Probably a little too unique for my taste and no I am not going to write a favorable review at your request I am going to give my honest opinion based on my personal experience.
Pros
Not Corporate
Cons
Not Corporate
somewhat fun environment
Loss Mitigation Counselor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 6, 2018
Early start and constant contact with customers to satisfy needs. Very supportive management in a good culture environment. The most difficult part of the job was that not every need of the customer could be satisfied.
Pros
Flexible weekends
Cons
Worked various shifts
Nice place to star in the mortgage experience
Financial Counsellor, public affairs (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 6, 2018
Excellent place to star as a new mortgage person to get all the knowledge and basics you need to come a successful person in the business, open to suggestions and open to a wide growth opportunities.
Pros
flexibility, vacations, benefits
Cons
long working hours.
creative work environment
Mortgage Consultant/Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 23, 2018
most enjoyable part of the job is working with the public that are hard working class people minorities and disenfranchised community publicly changing lives
NACA was for me a time when the economy dropped and needed to bring security to my family.
Supervisor / Team Lead Member Services (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 17, 2018
A typical day of work was supervising my crew and making sure that every member or client was taken care off. There was lots of follow up and making sure that our members cases were reviewed by the banks and or financial institutions so that our clients could be kept in their homes. I learned that being consistent always works. Management was fast and always improvising to situations since no one had a clue on how to react to the abrupt changes that our economy was going through. The work culture was energetic and together. Everyone was on board to the next step in order to get things done. The hardest part of the job were the hours, specially when we travelled around the USA to get help to those home owners that needed the help. the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help all this people in need.
Pros
We had plenty of work to keep us busy.
Cons
The time spend away from home.
naca want to buy a home call NACA
Administrative Assistant/ Call Center Rep (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAAugust 23, 2018
Answered and directed phone calls
Acted as the point of contact for internal and external clients
Organized and scheduled appointments, maintained contact lists.
Planned meetings and took detailed minutes of the meeting
Distributed email, correspondence memos, letters, faxes and forms
NOT the place to work if you like making money and paying your bills on time.
MORTGAGE LOAN OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 12, 2018
They draw you in with the message of helping low to moderate income folks, but the don't pay well. It is a ton of work for little pay. Leadership is lacking in the Dallas office and the leader creates a toxic atmosphere. Also most of the people we help to get homes are not low income.
Pros
Helping people purchase their first home.
Cons
Long Work Hours, Low Pay, and Ungrateful Clients.
Mortgage Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 5, 2018
Great place to work. They really do help home-buyers. Learned about HUD approved housing counseling, budgeting and credit reports. The scheduling portion of the job is very taxing.
Worse company to work for read the reviews before applying
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJuly 31, 2018
Naca was the worse company I’ve worked for in my life and I am not joking or exagerrating .. The national manager was very unprofessional and childish the worst manager I’ve ever dealt with very uneducated .. felt like I was in kindgergen all over again working for this company... their pay sucks and they want you to work your butt off for nothing for miserable 12 dollars an hr. They do not care about their employees!!!
Pros
Cons
lack of management, low pay
Dishonest! Unprofessional Work Environment! Disorganized!
Licensed Mortgage Loan Officer/ Housing Counselor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 24, 2018
There is intentionally no support from management to help with advancement and sometimes they will even block avenues to excel in the workplace.

There is constantly issues with checks and commissions. You can complain even to HR and still be completely ignored. They pretend to be about the community, but handle the employees in degrading manner.
Pros
Helping the community.
Cons
No Value on employees, dishonest.
poor place to work
Housing Counselor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 9, 2018
Over worked and underpaid. Bad attitude about the population we served and really did not care about others or their lives. Friendly co-workers however management was at time clue less and ruthless
Great mission but would not recommend as workplace
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 4, 2018
A typical day at work is stressful and management does not help. While I worked there, management was in and out of unnecessary and repetitive meetings and had very little to no time available to oversee what was happening and almost never responded accordingly to important questions or suggestions the staff raised. The culture is very hostile, especially because management plays favorites with staff. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the sessions thrown at mortgage consultants. Regular hours for mortgage consultants are anywhere from 9-13 hours per day. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting all kinds of people and helping them achieve their dreams of being homeowners, but at the end of the day it is not rewarding enough because the company lacks in terms of management and compensation.
very high paced incoming calls and a lot of data entry
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 25, 2018
we receive from 150 - 220 calls daily requesting to schedule an appointment, need an update or their file, or speak to their mortgage counselors right away.
Pros
many interactions with members calling and attending their scheduled appointment every day
Cons
I do not feel like I am advancing in this job and need to do something else
Homeownership
Housing Counselor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 5, 2018
Long days and nights. I appreciate their ability to help low-to-moderate income families obtain and sustain home ownership. Make it work for you as an employee or as a member.
Overworked and Underpaid
Mortgage Consultant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 22, 2018
In addition to being overworked and underpaid, the manager in the local office is not qualified to manage an office and is only interested in his own agenda. The office could be successful if it were managed by a real manger.
Pros
Window offices, not micro-managed and good location
Cons
You are chained to the desk for atleast 10 hours a day, there is no management, so there is no customer service and a lot of complaints, and the members don't appreciate all the hard work done to get them through the program
Means well but process is not good. Too much work for employees.
MLO (Former Employee) –  Alabama and TennesseeApril 18, 2018
NACA means well or has a good concept but it’s slave labor. As an MLO you will process loans, counsel members, do bank apps, and outreach. It’s too much work to ever get ahead. You will only make an hourly wage from working so many hours. You may close 2 loans a month after being there for several years and building a pipeline. It’s a good place to learn the industry not a long term career move.
Pros
Helping low and moderate income families
people will be helped
Neighborhood Assistant Corporation of America (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 17, 2018
The company need more opportunities to stay diversified in the market place. The company could be a fun place to work but because of the work culture the environment is tense. The income need to be updated to the USA market in mortgages. A typical day is filled with making calls to the same members who does not want to pay their mortgages on time. I have learned 4 jobs in 1. The hardest part of the job is getting the members to do what they are suppose to do and paying their bills. Meeting new people and helping people get back on track with their bills.
Pros
people are assisted all over the us.
Cons
low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Neighborhood Assistance Corp. of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.6InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

1.5Career Opportunities

1.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight