Neighborhood Assistance Corp. of America Employee Reviews

Overworked and Underpaid
Mortgage Consultant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 22, 2018
In addition to being overworked and underpaid, the manager in the local office is not qualified to manage an office and is only interested in his own agenda. The office could be successful if it were managed by a real manger.
Pros
Window offices, not micro-managed and good location
Cons
You are chained to the desk for atleast 10 hours a day, there is no management, so there is no customer service and a lot of complaints, and the members don't appreciate all the hard work done to get them through the program
Means well but process is not good. Too much work for employees.
MLO (Former Employee) –  Alabama and TennesseeApril 18, 2018
NACA means well or has a good concept but it’s slave labor. As an MLO you will process loans, counsel members, do bank apps, and outreach. It’s too much work to ever get ahead. You will only make an hourly wage from working so many hours. You may close 2 loans a month after being there for several years and building a pipeline. It’s a good place to learn the industry not a long term career move.
Pros
Helping low and moderate income families
people will be helped
Neighborhood Assistant Corporation of America (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 17, 2018
The company need more opportunities to stay diversified in the market place. The company could be a fun place to work but because of the work culture the environment is tense. The income need to be updated to the USA market in mortgages. A typical day is filled with making calls to the same members who does not want to pay their mortgages on time. I have learned 4 jobs in 1. The hardest part of the job is getting the members to do what they are suppose to do and paying their bills. Meeting new people and helping people get back on track with their bills.
Pros
people are assisted all over the us.
Cons
low pay
Fast pace the time went by fast.
Office Manager/Realtor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 9, 2018
NACA is a good program, but the company did not pay the employees well they were always in the draw, they required a lot of long late hours and sometime travel,
Pros
You help people to get into a home.
Cons
Sometime it might take months or even years to get someone into a home.
A great place to advocate
Mortgage Consultant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 2, 2018
Numbers driven environment. The application to close is a very long process, but the avocation a plus. Also you have to work of clients work schedule.
Low pay and no advancement, poor upper mananment support, endless work.
Mortgage Consultant- NMLS ID (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 15, 2018
Its a great place to learn the ropes of the mortgage field (and leave in a yr or less) as its an elementary version of the forward mortgage field. The retention rate is below 25% within the first year for a reason.. Its impossible to get ahead of the curve since you are a loan PROCESSOR and a MLO second. You spend most of your days talking to people, processing paperwork (as a processor) and fighting silly underwriting criteria.. Underwriting works against you and every turn for a simple loan qualification. By the way, it takes 1 week just for UW to look at a file, if they see something they dont like, add another week to hear back. Its the worst UW turn around time Ive experienced.

The average loans closed for the Houston office is 2- MAYBE 3 closed loans a month for the BEST MLO (on avg. since some months will be 0 closed loans), don't be lied to. You wont make over $3-4k per month (only due to working 50-60+ hrs per week and Saturdays) unless something changes. Good luck.
Pros
Flexible schedule that you can alter somewhat
Cons
Laughable pay, poor management, out of date company software, system is updated without warning and many glitches, and negative team meetings.
they have an awsome program
Home Save Counselor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 21, 2018
This was one of the best jobs I had the fact that we were able to actually help people save their homes. they also paid us well when we went on (tours) meaning when we would travel city to city helping people...
Pros
Helping people save their home
Cons
living out of a suitcase 2 weeks outta every month
Challenging Job that serves the community
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOJanuary 26, 2018
NACA St. Louis is place where you can really serve the community. I provide housing counseling to members and am able to offer the Best Mortgage in America. I have got a lot of training on how to help families buy their own homes. We are a team that expects a lot out of each other, but also will go the extra mile for each other and our members.
Pros
Mission and Commitment to low and moderate income familes
Cons
Fun place to be, especially in real estate
Volunteer / Extracurricular Activities (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 24, 2017
NACA is serious about helping people maintain their place in society by providing a method for owning a home. Definitely helpful in turbulent times. Go to place for insight in the home market.
too many cases
Mortgage Counselor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 7, 2017
too many cases, not enough loan counselors, the process to move a loan is very slow and tedious...lots of long hours and unsatisfied customers...the company means well, but just doesnt deliver like it should
Fast Paced
Receptionist, Office Administrator, Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAAugust 27, 2017
In this line of work you really have to wear the customer shoes. That makes the job much easier. When you have a strong team it makes the atmosphere great. The hardest part of my job was when the bank said no to a loan and we had to tell a member.
Pros
Working with a great team
Cons
To many hours at work
Rewarding Job that help Families in need
Home Save Counselor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 21, 2017
Fast pace call center. While out on tour it was long days with end of day great results of helping families save their homes.
Managment of taking time helping thousand of members from several States within the United States. Hardest part of the job was to not help members save their home. Enjoyment to see smiles on members faces after they receive notice their home have been saved or mortgage have been reduced
Pros
Incentive Rewards
Cons
Great health and retirement benifits
Did a lot of traveling and loved working for NACA
Home Save Counselor Loss Mitigation (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 28, 2017
The experience here is one to always remember the work culture was great and great people to work with. They truly value their employees and show them that.
loved working here
Home Save Counselor Loss Mitigation (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 27, 2017
learned a lot while working there and enjoyed the work culture it was my most enjoyed job. Management was very helpful in making you a success on their team and pushed to do more and be more.
Great Mortgage Concept
Mortgage consultant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 19, 2017
The company ideals are great. how the go about the work load is very hard. there's no time in you off duty time that you ever off duty. The work load is overwhelming. the time you have to commit is overwhelming and the pay sucks. The amount you have to pay for benefits is too high. the training is none except off the clock. plus live you life. the pay does not keep up with the work load.
Pros
meeting you people and travel you have to love what you do to stay
Cons
training is rushed you personal time the pay is unfair and not enough
Make a Difference
Administrative Associate II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 16, 2017
I enjoyed working for NACA. I believed in their outlined mission as a Non for Profit Agency and truly saw lives transformed. The process is as unorthodox as its CEO but that is what makes it successful and trustworthy. Be patient with the outlined home buying process and you can acquire the life you desire. NACA isn't just about helping individuals put their first stake on the "American Dream" its about building communities. Making the long term positive stamp on what is is to be American.
Things probably have changed
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 12, 2017
Working for NACA was an awesome experience for me. I had the opportunity to help homeowners receive loan modifications when they were experiencing personal and economic hardships. Additionally, the staff traveled around the US to hold conferences to help homeowners and prospective homeowners alike accomplish their goals in affordable home ownership. Unfortunately, our CEO wasn't capable of understanding the reasonable needs of line staff, and there were so many cases of lack of leadership on every level from top executives, down to front line management. We resulted in a form of combustion where many of us were laid off with slim severances, but I can honestly say that I learned how to effectively communicate with people from this job.
Pros
Helped thousands of families, traveled the US on company funds
Cons
Lack of leadership and effective communication
Use as a stepping stone only
Mortgage Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 31, 2017
READ THE REVIEWS THEY DO NOT LIE! I would not recommend this position to anyone who has a family. The CEO and superiors could care less about you and your clients.
Pros
Cons
short breaks, long hours, inefficient system and training
The NACA mission is a noble one; but management needs to make sure there is a good life/work balance among their employees.
Housing Counselor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 20, 2017
I worked as a Housing Counselor at NACA. While I worked there, my supervisor was having health issues, and as a result, I was working without much supervision much of a time. I was expected to work very long hours and received only a salary, so I was not compensated for the extra hours I worked on a daily basis. Make sure when you accept a position at NACA that you will only be working for a set number of hours (eight hours a day), and that if you are expected to work extended hours, you will receive compensation for those hours. I really respect the NACA mission to help provide affordable mortgages to low and middle income families, and I found it very fulfilling to be able to help people afford homes who might otherwise not be able to do so.
Pros
Good software, good help desk help for software issues.
Cons
Work/Life balance was not a priority when I worked there (maybe that has changed, I worked there a long time ago, in 2006)
Very fulfilling job
Housing Counselor, (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 11, 2017
The best job anyone can have you travel and learn all in one the main thing is you get5to help people while doing so i wouldn't change anything about this job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Neighborhood Assistance Corp. of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
1.6

2.0Personal Development

1.5Career Opportunities

1.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight