Neighborhood Centers Inc. Employee Reviews

stressful not manged very well
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJune 1, 2018
I enjoyed my job as case specialist until Neighborhood took over and they took away the case load and gave us transactions then clients did not know who to speak with and trying to answer their questions was harder to do
Pros
good pay and benifits
Cons
too stressful
Passionate about helping the community
Compliance Representative/Fraud Investigator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 17, 2018
The agency's mission is an awesome mission helping the community.However, the only concern is their lack of Training. More emphasis can be placed employees success.
Pros
Helping Community
Cons
Training
Great workplace and environment
We Can Trainer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 13, 2018
I worked on contract with multiple centers around Houston. I loved the community feel that I got while working all together. Upper management talked to everyone and made sure every department was taken care of
Volunteer
Tax Preparer (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 12, 2018
I was a volunteer so things such as benefits or job advancement were never on my mind. I know the case of a volunteer who became a manager though.....
Some
Babysitting (Current Employee) –  Mayer, MNMarch 5, 2018
Some days are better than others and some just ate great but i wish to better myself and those days mkre and more. But with the sircumstances are they need tk be changed
Community outreach
Mental Health Crisis Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 25, 2018
Assisted families through state funded grant program affected by Hurricane Ike with temporary or permanent relocation from devastated homes. Located resources for clients to obtain necessities such as food, clothing, utilities, and medical needs. Communicated with clients and various social service agencies to promote positive relationships and monitor client’s progress towards self-sufficiency.
Teacher
Head Start Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2018
Great place to work. Teaching children can be a very rewarding position. All staff are friendly and are willing to assist when needed. TEAMWORK is great!
Neighborhood Centers
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 25, 2017
I enjoy helping the community in any way that I can whether it is in the school or out of the school. Working here as a volunteer has given me the opportunity to see what assistance is needed in the community and the help that is provided.
Pros
Lunches and Brunches are always given to the voulunteers.
Cons
Na
Work with this organization is good for the soul.
Advanced Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 24, 2017
This was a part time volunteer job preparing income taxes. The hardest part of the job is communication with clients. There are many clients from different cultures who do not speak English. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with and the satisfaction you get from helping others.
Productive and Focused Environment
Bilingual Intake Specialist (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Bellaire, TXNovember 1, 2017
Excellent Company. Great Co Worker and Managers. I love helping the Community of Houston.

We are a temp that helps the community at large with their tax questions or problems. It is such a great feeling to know we are there to help the community try to secure a refund that might help them for their short term or long term financial needs for their families or individuals.
Pros
Great Positive Environment
Cons
Seasonal or Temp
Compassionate and Enjoyable place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2017
A typical day at work is assisting with the public. I've learned that regardless of the program being put into place to assist customers, majority of them have a sense of entitlement. Overall the workplace is great, and I enjoy what I do, I just seek more purposeful work.
Management not the best
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 2, 2017
It has been over ten years since I worked at Neighborhood Centers Inc., but the management was not very supportive or appreciative toward employees, and they created a horrible work environment. Perhaps it's changed over the years. Loved the staff and the job responsibilities.
Pros
Staff was nice and professional
Cons
Management created a negative atmosphere
Productive and Fun
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2017
I've worked with with them for four summers and I can honestly say the company has taught me many things along side being an independent leader and team player.
Pros
Great work Environment
Cons
traffic getting to work
Fast pace environment with lots of tech issues.
Tax Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2017
As a manager I had to work over 40 hrs a week consistently. Very hard to process customer transactions with tech failures. Upper management was aware of issues but asked that we worked around them.
Cons
No breaks.
Productive place, love the families
Student Support Services (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 30, 2017
Overall everything was good with the job, working with low income families is a joy and very helpful for them, just be careful to not let the employees use you.
Help others
Program Assistant/Service Connector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 23, 2017
It is constantly evolving in response to the larger story in the Houston region, and that story right now is about hardworking, low-income families moving up the economic ladder, and achieving greater opportunities. This is where we share our thoughts and views on the bigger story — on the policies, decisions, events, actions, and everything around us that impacts our communities.
Pros
Being able to help people.
Cons
Grant funded
Good place to work diverse location
Disabilities Mentor Teacher (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 18, 2017
Good place to work diverse management at the time enjoyable agency encouraged staff to be successful outside training was always encouraged. Job is good when you know you have reached and meet the needs of the families
love assisting parents and students
ADMINSTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2017
helping students and parents is what I loved the best from this job. I learned how to care for the my own students schooling. great atmosphere. being able to work with the community was also a big plus for me.
Great Mission but Horrible Execution
HEAD START TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 2, 2017
Neighborhood Center, Inc. is a great beast in the fact that takes on homelessness, refugee families, persons with no healthcare and food shortage. But these successes are only made possible by the misuse and abuse of their hard - working teachers.
We are treated like children ourselves and are given so much work that our personal families begin to suffer.
The managers and office staff have so much more autonomy and ability to celebrate with the CEO and big wigs. We are forever cooped up in a classroom with work up to our foreheads and no break.
Pros
Free tax assistance with the company
Cons
short breaks, over worked, no upward advancement
Neighborhood Center
Director of Facilities (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 12, 2017
This is your typical non-profit specializing in many areas of disadvantaged families and children in Houston Texas and the surrounding areas. There corps competency neighborhood centers but chose to get involved in WIC Program for Women, Infants, and Children, Charter Schools, Banking, Immigration, and business assistance programs for immigrants stretching their resources thin.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Neighborhood Centers Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Neighborhood Centers Inc. Reviews by Location