Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island Employee Reviews

Lack of qualified management
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 24, 2018
Many of the company’s management are under-qualified, and it’s evident by continuous poor decisions. No one is held accountable. Managers use employees as scapegoats.

Positions are only given to those in the same inner circles. There is lack of professionalism which can clearly be seen by those internally and externally. A true embarrassment.

There’s a lot of cover up. Senior leadership turns their heads to this type of behavior. There is no repercussions given.
Pros
Benefits, vacation, diversity
Cons
Under qualified management, Rude management & no work/life balance
Needs improvement in member services dept
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, RIFebruary 8, 2018
The teams in member services are over stressed, worked, low compensated, and no advancement for seasoned reps. The management team from senior manager to floor supervisor don't advocate to higher management on employees behalf. The company is trying to run a non profit insurance company as those of their competitors such as BCBS, UHC, TUFTS..yet they dont have the systems, employee capacity, and compensation to provide the top notch service they so market to the community they serve. This company underwent internal restructuring and yet member services was not given the emphasis that it needs with better systems, better compensation, work-life balance to their employees, and further advancements in the company. This company like to over work the temp employees which later translates to a high turn over rate in member services specifically. Managers also lack tact and communication within the dept of customer service is terrible if not horrible, all the perks this company gives to their other depts is non existent to member services, the most important dept in the whole company, which should be rewarded and recognized as so.
Pros
co-workers and health insurance benefits
Cons
management, communication between depts, over worked employees, systems are horrible to use, and lack of advancement blocked
What an experience
Provider Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, RIFebruary 1, 2018
Every day starts with a warm good morning from everyone you meet, and people are always willing to help, the issue was not the people nor the work, but the system and the lack of structure with training.
Good company, customer focused
Blank (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 31, 2017
Company is very mission-driven focusing on the care of it's members. Strong dedication in doing what's right in managing the member's health needs. Fast growing and fast-paced environment can be challenging with many changes in process at the same time.
Pros
great benefits and events through the year for staff
Cons
very busy with many changes at the same time
Management need training!
Training (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandOctober 27, 2017
Management need to learn how to manage staff appropriately instead of putting them down for their own benefit. My manager had an anger management issue that was never addressed. They should work on hiring the right managers in order to be a great place to work.
Pros
Representative were humble and willing to do the work for the members
Cons
Bad management, not enough time for break or lunch
Company is employee focused
Manager of Revenue Recognition (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 3, 2017
Some management not focused on the positive, but only the negative. Management having a difficult time blending the small company feel with the significant growth experienced in recent years.
Pros
Many small employee perks
Cons
Management struggles to work together
Management is a problem
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, RISeptember 23, 2017
Very cut throat environment. Expressing one self in a healthy way is not welcomed and taken very personal. No advancement unless you are friends with upper management. People have been in the same position for years!
Pros
Coworkers were very nice
Cons
Management is a huge problem. Employees walk on thin ice!
Difficult environment
Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 5, 2017
The work was challenging and fulfilling, but the team I worked with were , at times very political and unpleasant.
In my Nursing Career I had never faced the foolish politics before.
Happy to leave
Pros
Nice Office, learned a lot. Grew professionally
Cons
staff, some fellow RN's
Okay
Claims Service Recovery Representative (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, RIMay 12, 2017
Can be a great place to work under the right management. Time management can somewhat be a problem at times because there is not enough staff to do the amount of work that gets put out on the floor.
Pros
Great diversity
Cons
Time management prioritization
Good place to work and learn
Manager (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 7, 2017
working hours depends on your role but you are interested there are learning and growing opportunities available. management is focused on organization growth. workplace culture is good and motivating. hardest part of the job is the initial training required to do the job is most of the times self learning, most enjoyable part of job is exposure to higher management
Pros
flexible hours depending on the need
Cons
job training
This USED to be a great place to work
Claims (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, RIMay 23, 2016
Neighborhood used to be a real good place to work. it was like family. Its a big company now and All new management that don't communicate important info.
Pros
anniversary lunch, medical benefits
Cons
Micromanaged, lower pay scales, outsourcing work, small work space, corporately run
very challanging
Lead Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 23, 2016
I love the people, and what they do, however, I don't feel that all of my potential and assest/knowledge are being utilized.
Pros
benefits, people
Cons
not best utilizing my skills
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 8, 2013
I enjoyed my time there very much! Fun people, great working environment.
Rewarding career serving underpriviledged community in RI
MEMBER SERVICES SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 19, 2013
As a member services specialist, it is my duty to resolve any and all issues concerning our members to ensure that they are satisfied with their insurance. I have learned many skills including communications, follow up, and technical competencies in the medical field including medical billing. My co-workers work together as a team along with my managers. The job itself if challenging, but that is the most rewarding part.
Pros
team oriented department, sense of accomplishment in resolving issues
Cons
strict time schedule
great place to work
Claims Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Providence RIMarch 16, 2013
processing claims, taking calls from providers. learned a lot about the health insurance industry. had great coworkers.
A very friendly working environment with a great medical staff from which to learn from
Student Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 22, 2012
On a standard day I would arrive and work on drug/formulary review material which was required of me on a weekly basis. I was also assigned various drug information questions which were delivered to me daily. Twice a week I would travel to a local community health clinic with another pharmacist to meet with patients and review their current medications. Other tasks that I may have been assigned on a typical day revolved around becoming familiar with the managed care aspect of pharmacy (i.e. prior authorizations, formulary decisions, sending out informational material to providers).
Pros
friendly environment, knowledgeable staff, quality learning experience
Cons
very demanding at times