Nelnet

• Energizing work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Unremarkable

Nothing special to say. It is just a job and no path for much growth or advancement. There is favoritism among management. Good place to get some experience for your resume but not much more.

Great work life balance

My position had a great worklife balance and flexible schedule. Was enjoyable being at work. Overtime was rarely required. Quiet environment and entire team was nice.

Pros

Free fruit on Tuesday, flex schedule, M-f

Cons

Pay could be better, at time I worked there working from home wasn't an option

Great place

great place to work, terrific benefits that are unmatched, strong push to advance individuals within the company, or provide career skills to go elsewhere

I had a really good experience especially with my supervisor who was accommodating, respectful and kind at all times. I enjoyed the work and would recommend this job overall.

Pros

Excellent supervisor, competitions for free lunches and other perks

Don't do it!

Terrible! Work from home is not a good experience. The first 3.5 weeks of training had so many tech issues and not enough time to cover everything. 2nd 3.5 in the bubble was worse! No support from management or trainers. Dumped you on the phones and made to figure it out. If you have planned days off, make sure you get approval in writing before accepting the job because they will backtrack on that real quick! Not a good place to work at all, very stressful, and has no guidance.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Nelnet culture

Great place to work. Everyone can get along fairly. We try to provide a culture within the company and some do a great job at feeling like we belong and that we are family. Benefits are good. Advancement. Takes some time but it’s more like networking to get to where you want to be. Not a bad thing but there will be times where someone will win a position but there are other candidates that are highly more qualified.

Pros

Benefits and the people

Good pay until they added more work for same pay

The place was a good entry level job. Pay was great until they decided to add task and not compensate for pay. No way to make more money unless you advance.

Pros

friendly staff, lunch room.

Cons

pay

Good not great

Everyone is so nice. Company is super flexible with employees who have families. It is super busy and constant emails and calls. If you don’t handle stress well you may want to look elsewhere. The culture is really good and as a whole the company is very relaxed.

Cool job

Decent not the very best. With every job it can be a challenge. Do what you can and what you cant is not to be discussed. Be you and enjoy the ride. Smile

Pros

Na

Cons

Na

Oh my…

The management here is absolute trash. If you have any type of leave of absence they make you feel like garbage. I had surgery and extended it a few days and my manager threatened my job

Cons

No work life balance. Management

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Nelnet?

Generally a good job!!

This might be the best job I’ve had. While the call center life isn’t an easy one, I like my coworkers, I am paid fairly well for what I do, and they give ample vacation which is super nice!! Customers can be pretty ruthless which is what I like least about my job I’d say!

Pros

Vacation, pay, coworkers

Cons

Extremely fast paced, stressful

OK place to wotk

Good starter job, but not many opportunities for advancement. Great co-workers. Management doesnt value the great employees but rewards the underacheivers.

Cons

Pay, no work /life balance

Poor poor poor

Stay away if you can.favortism, back to back calls and micro management is rampant. There is drama and childish antics among coworkers. Pay is decent so are benefits. Rest is toxic

Pros

Good pay

Cons

All the rest

You are just a body in seat

No one really cares About you at Nelnet. You are merely just a body in a seat. And they need all the bodies in the seats in order to meet their quota.

Horrible communication

I have never been so confused with a company before, how they handle communications within each other is minimal. You will always be blamed, no accountability at all from your leadership. I was a specialist which would have to deal with escalated calls that ask for managers, pay is not great to be doing work of a manager and not having the ability to help them and not having anyone to support you with those type of calls you are on your own. QA is constantly on you regardless of how well you are doing they will find the smallest things to take off points for, which mainly are due to miscommunication and misguided training. No one knows what they are doing, you literally wing it everyday. The amount of stress from this job is through the roof call volume is never ending, not even 1 second in between calls. You’ll never have the chance to work on your follow ups or check on your applications/forms you sent. And when you do they always get rejected.. no communication at all between anyone. It was a waste of time.. I quit over a month ago and returned my equipment that same day I quit and still am getting emails over missing equipment that I personally submitted a “IT ticket” personally handed off equipment to an IT agent and was told I was good yet still received threatening emails, due to miscommunication within their teams. Don’t bother with these people.

Pros

Benefits, work from home

Cons

Short breaks, late breaks, lack of communication, support and accountability, no proper training

Great company but flexibility is key working here

I've worked here for about a year. Great trainers and management, some are micromanagement, Def all about stats, great benefits too. You can easily get new skills if you ask for it and get involved in other areas. But most of the time you have to have good stats. My only complaint is because of the hours you really don't have time to plan for doctors but they allow you to bring a doctor's note for excused absence but anything personal good luck.My other complaint is flexibility is really key here which I don't have problem with but I've been on three different projects since covid hit you don't get really any raise for that they just expect you to adapt and be okay with it. Also some of us work from home permanently so internet compinsation would be nice. They don't seperate your ETO from sick days, you get alloted 12 call ins but excused if you bring a doctor's note. But if you don't have ETO you won't get paid for that day.They offer long term and short term disability and FMLA a year after employment FYI

Pros

4 floating holidays, 120 hours ETO yearly tuition reimbursement, 401k

Cons

Short lunch, hours are rough

Bad company

They only care about getting their numbers and if you're trying your best, they simply don't care. Out the door with ya. They fire the good and keep the bad ones

enjoyable

I was a short term employee here as a contact tracer, the training was awesome, very professional. Management was very helpful and wanted you to succeed.

Pros

co-workers

Cons

short term

Productive and mentally draining

Great work environment just can be a bit stressful you have to sit there and get mentally abused and if you transfer your call you are frowned upon. You are expected to know everything and get short unhelpful answers from those higher up.

Good work/life balance, bad performance standards

Effectiveness requirements are too high for how little you get paid. Becomes a stressful place to just keep your job and you will barely get recognition for doing more work than normal

Info on how to do job always changes

Very confusing job information on how to do the job was constantly changing. One of head managers pulled aside a whole group of workers during training to scold us like we were children only because we didn't answer questions on a worksheet that we didn't know the answer to after she said she'd help with questions we didn't know. The same trainer got upset because new employees made the same amount as her then barely wanted to help because of that. Never a straight forward answer on how to do anything. Also there are no people of color on management team for advisors.

Cons

Managers and traniners

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nelnet. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.3Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
3.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Nelnet with

• Nelnet
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?