Nelnet
Happiness rating is 62 out of 100

Nelnet Employee Reviews

Its not bad for the amount you get paid but its definitely a stressful place to work, and they don't really care about person life problems as they see as replaceable
Couldn’t really be myself much with a script for every phone call. Management was kinda weird since they didn’t seem to work together well. But the people I worked with made the job feel more at home, along with earning PTO in creative ways.
Pros
Friendly co-workers. Good fun sometimes.
Cons
Scripted work so I couldn’t be myself.
Nelnet us amazing! They are understanding and have a great management team! I'm proud to say I work for this company. They could pay more but for the work you put in vs the pay its fair
Pros
Pto and lots of it!
Cons
Chained to desk
Dude seriously. The stress of this job isn't worth the pay, or anywhere close to it at that. The systems crash every day, and the threat each day of losing your job due to the company being so bad they're losing a government contract doesn't help matters either. You won't know for certain what your daily tasks for the day will be due to the constant shuffle of employees to different departments with little to no training.
0/10 would not recommend, they accuse you of things that you never did because one person said so and they don't get any proof that it was you, they think impersonation isn't a thing which for this job when you have notes to look at, it definitely is easy, the employees that work there are not so great.
Pros
I suppose the pay isn't bad as long as you get good monthly scores and get a good raise each year
Cons
The hours if you didn't win a shift bid you couldn't change your hours to better fit your schedule
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Rote typical day/anchored to deskLearned new technology1st supv/mgr awesome/encouraging/fun2nd mgr/supv cold/closed off/no coachingGood workplace culture is false claimEnjoyed health check & catered foodMandatory OT was a bit over the edge/larger payoutEase of setting my schedule
Pros
Cookouts/Catering (very good)
Cons
Short breaks - Felt tied to desk like an animal.
Nelnet bought Great Lakes Educational Loan Services a while back. There is a bias towards employees in Nebraska, the corporate headquarters. Not so much interest in the employees of companies that were bought by Nelnet.
Pros
Pay is decent
Cons
Politics
I just started with Nelnet 2 months before Covid-9 hit Lincoln. We all moved our work to home and not knowing much about computers or the work I was doing, Nelnet was WONDERFUL with the support I needed. My supervisor and team lead are the BEST!! I really like working with this company!!
Pros
We have choices on work environment. ie, home, office or both.
Cons
Working downtown
Lots of stress, the pay is awful. I took it until I found something better. We worked short handed. It was a lot of data input. No holiday pay. But was pleased I had something.
Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Nelnet is ridiculousPay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at Nelnet are better than averageJob security and advancementIn terms of job security at Nelnet, I think there is zero, they’ll fire you immediately or change everything on youManagementIn general, managers at Nelnet some are great and some are absolutely terrible.CultureCollaboration with my colleagues at Nelnet is not happening right nowOverallMy experience working at Nelnet is that they don’t care about you. They’ll put you in different projects that don’t even relate to your job, not train you, then get mad when you don’t know how to do it.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Nelnet?
They will change your schedule without warning if you don’t meet quotas. My schedule was changed because I did not make quality calls for the month...
2 weeks of Training was pretty good. I worked for Nelnet Campus Commerce. Mostly took payments and dealt with customers trying to get their fees waived.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Changed policies often
Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Nelnet is good and i habe no complaints.Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at Nelnet are good and why i enjoyed staying here so long
Great pay but expect to gain weight sitting all day. Free fruit day, food days, rewards, start earning ETO day one. Went from making around $13 to $16.23 inless than 2 yrs.
Pros
Start earning ETO from day one, rewards, free fruit day, free bus pass if needed, great pay
Cons
Sitting all day you are likely to gain weight
Most people we let nice but there were some real mean supervisors that were not willing to help w extra training if needed. My immediate supervisor was never available for me when I need her.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Bad work culture
They take time to listen to their employees regularly and act accordingly. They promote healthy lifestyles and overall wellbeing. They offer raises based off of the individual's work.
The job itself is tiring, repetitive, boring, and non-rewarding. I would not go back to Nelnet, unless I had no other place to work in the world. My direct manager was good, but the management above him was clueless. The company is not innovative. Their software is outdated. They don't have enough tech support. Their network in unstable, the pay is not good, and you're opinion is not valued or respected.
Pros
Food?
Cons
Short breaks, strict adherence policies, no autonomy, poor management
The office is dark you take a lot of calls the training program is ridiculous and confusing, poor pay for a really hard Job the benefits are crazy expensive and there is no real option to get promoted the Denver office is a joke and there systems are even worse.
Pros
none really
Cons
pretty much everything
Nelnet is the greatest company I have ever worked for. Seriously, the CEO, Jeff Nordhoek, down to the lower levels of management are all just awesome to work for. Each day, I felt like I was equipped to succeed and achieve at a high level. They had some sweet benefits there, as well, including BenefitEd which was a payment toward your student loans. The compensation was ok, but I felt it wasn’t market standard. I felt that it could be a little higher based on the difficulty of work and what was expected of me. Other than that, I still recommend people to work there. I only left because I had to relocate out of town, otherwise I would still be working there!
Pros
Great culture, good leadership, good benefits
Cons
Pay is not market standard, hard to get promoted
Overall it's a good company to work for with a positive environment. Company activities/rewards during break. Fruit is provided once a week. Staff is friendly and management is easy to work with. They have programs in place for their employees for health and wellness.
Pros
Flexible, friendly, good environment
Cons
Benefits are costly unless you're single and a non smoker
I had worked at Nelnet for almost a year. I knew nothing about student loans when I began, but by the time I was on the phones I felt like I was a pro. They have amazing, extensive training. I got put on an amazing team who was incredibly supportive, friendly, and were like my second family. Great benefits, great staff, amazing knowledge.
Pros
Good staff, company kitchen, good pay
Cons
None!
  1. Employee Reviews