Net Transcripts Employee Reviews

Pays Less Than Minimum Wage
Transcriber (Former Employee) –  From HomeNovember 29, 2018
Pay is TERRIBLE. Likely, not even minimum wage. In order to meet their formatting standards, you would have to spend a significant amount of time on each transcription--far more than the actual length of the transcription itself. Unless you are just wanting to a very little extra money for a lot of work, I would not recommend this company. I have over 20 years experience in the legal field doing transcription for lawyers and type over 90 words per minute. And, even with my experience and typing speed, it is not enough money to justify the time.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Pay is VERY LOW
Complete waste of time
Transcriber (Former Employee) –  RemoteNovember 20, 2018
This company will waste large amounts of your time with no remorse. It is clear they do not value the time of their transcribers. Also-don't bother applying unless you already have all of the equipment and software needed.
Interesting job but too much sitting
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 30, 2018
Listen to audio and type it into transcript form. Get job assignments paid by the minute per audio. After several years, I'd say it averages $10 per hour or less. Law enforcement subject matter is interesting.
Pros
People that you interact with at Net Trans., which is rarely, are nice.
Cons
Pay is low, your shoulders and legs do not thrive due to long periods of sitting
Excellent contract work
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 27, 2018
I have had a great experience with Net Transcripts. I understand that the pay is relatively low, but as a part-time "extra" job it is very helpful. I have had a few weird circumstances pop up and the managers were understanding and tried to be as flexible as possible (depending when the client is expecting to receive a transcript). If you read your contractor agreement you will see that you get paid 30 days after submitting an invoice and the rates are clearly outlined. I would definitely recommend.
Pros
Flexible hours, expectations clearly outlined
Cons
Relatively low pay
Great work at home opportunity
Typist (Current Employee) –  Houma, LAAugust 24, 2018
Net Transcripts is a fast paced work at home typist position. They have great management who are always willing and able to help you get your projects done quickly and to the best of your ability.

With this job, you will be compensated based on how hard/fast you work. I have worked other at-home typist jobs and they do not pay nearly as well and definitely do not have the same availability within their management tier. Everyone in management is great and helpful.

This job works around my lifestyle of a homeschool mom and I also work part-time at another job outside of my home. Net-Transcripts offers great flexibility in scheduling and receiving work.
Not worth it
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  RemoteJuly 7, 2018
It is impossible to make a good wage here. I am a very fast typist and I wasn’t even making anywhere near minimum wage and that was trying to make this a FT thing. Some of the file audio qualities are horrible. Proofing the work over and over takes way too much time. You can choose your work but then you’re stuck with jobs that have very little descriptions on them when you choose. Some jobs require other templates that have very little help in deciphering what to do. There are instructions but they expect you to just know things that aren’t in them. Training is very slow to get started and sometimes the feedback from training versus quality control versus the specs is very differing. I spent more time researching spellings, proper names, places, etc and listening to audio multiple times compared to actually typing. There was no way for me to make a decent wage here and I’ve worked for other transcription companies.
Pros
Choosing own work, working from home
Cons
Low wages, stressful, bad audio, inadequate training
Great flexibility, terrible pay
Contract transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  AZMarch 27, 2018
The reason I continue to contract with this soulless company is that it allows for complete flexibility re: schedule/workload, and I can work from home. Those are the only reasons I can imagine anyone would contract with this company.You cannot interact or communicate with other contract transcribers in any way. You will never get a raise or any other sort of benefit or perk whatsoever based on seniority or anything else. You will be sent numerous annoying spam-type emails daily. Administrative spam emails are blatently condescending. Don't bother offering any constructive criticism or any other type of suggestions. They will be ignored and you'll be labelled a troublemaker. They will simply try to get as much work out of you as they can as cheaply as possible.
Pros
Complete flexibility, ability to work from home
Cons
No advancement, terrible pay, remarkably impersonal/condescending
Good company, and perfect job for the right people.
Law Enforcement Report Transcriber, Contract (Former Employee) –  Bay Shore, NYMarch 16, 2018
This is transcribing work - in particular, I worked on Law Enforcement reports. I found the work itself (the reports) rather fascinating most of the time, and the main plus is that I could fit this work into my sometimes erratic schedule - i.e., I could name my own hours. I also found the company very supportive and quick to respond to questions. The main negative is simply that this type of work does not pay particularly well, although if you are a quick typist, well organized, and have a good ear for the nuances of various accents and jargon in this particular field, you can make some decent income every month -- not enough to live on, but there's plenty of opportunities to make good supplemental income. I would recommend this company to anyone who fits the profile.
Pros
Virtual work, flexible time, supportive company
Cons
Transcribing work doesn't pay the big bucks
Great experience for beginners
PT Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 17, 2018
Love working for this company. Although there are no benefits and the pay seems disproportionate with the hours put in, the pay is always dependable and the work is constant. I have never had an issue getting paid on time. Management is extremely helpful and friendly and supportive. The only downside is lack of any benefits and not the ideal pay. If you are looking to supplement your income and be in control of your workload, this is ideal.
Pros
Control of your workload and deadlines ranging from 24-hour to 120-hour (not including weekends), management support, reliable pay dates
Cons
No benefits, pay not equal to time put in on some audios
I did not earn enough money for the work I completed for them.
Subcontract Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 23, 2018
I learned a lot about the legal system in States other than Colorado. I also obtained a much greater appreciation for the work done by police officers in States other than Colorado. Basically I transcribed police reports and interviews with detainees for Departments outside the State of Colorado.
Very flexible and great for working at home!
Remote Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 15, 2018
I love working for Net Transcripts. There is almost always work available. I am able to pick my jobs that fit into the time I have available for completing them. Pay is direct deposit and is paid on schedule every two weeks. I highly recommend this company!
Better for seasoned transcribers
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 4, 2018
I thought the pay should be higher given the number of files I got that were very, very hard to hear. Whenever I got a file that was hard to hear (some sounded like the recorder was in someone's pocket, others like they were in a windstorm, seriously) I would either make $2 per hour on it or turn it in late. They do not tolerate lateness. I had five years' experience when I took this job, but I just could not handle the poor audio quality of about half of my files.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Lots of overhead costs to deal with (background check, audio editing software)
Interesting and important work
1099 Employee (Current Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 5, 2017
I am a contractor so I work from home. I'm still very new to the company but it has been a great experience. I get faster as I continue doing the work. Yes, the process to begin the paid work is long. However, we deal with very sensitive materials and it is important for NT to vet employees. Accuracy is important in these cases for all parties involved. The staff that I communicate with has been very thoughtful and reasonably quick to respond, understanding they have a large pool of employees. The pay isn't bad. Of course I wish it was more but don't we all wish we made more? There is a lot to learn to be in compliance with the requirements of the law enforcement agencies and NT. However, it becomes sort of second nature the longer you do it. And if there is ever a question, you can refer to the style guide provided. What I do is under a 1099 agreement so I do have to invoice for my time and will be paying quarterly taxes, etc. That is new to me. The invoicing isn't hard to do once you get started. I have no complaints about a lack of work. When I request something I usually have a response within the day if I don't ask too late in the NT workday, which is on west coast time. There is a lot of flexibility. If you need to take a day off you simply don't take minutes that will conflict with that time. As someone else said in their review, you will not be paid for a chunk of time while you are training and then there is a delay to get the first one. But, after that the pay is scheduled. And my experience so far is that it has been on time, direct deposited. I will say that you  more... are not going to get rich doing this job. And you will definitely need a second source of income coming into your home or be living quite frugally, have a retirement income, or some such thing, unless you are extremely fast. There are some audios that require much more time than others due to people talking at the same time, quality issues, soft speakers, and variations in accents from east to west coast and in between. However, it has equated to better than the minimum wage for me. And, I think in time it will work out to be a decent income that could potentially support a single person, depending on where you live of course. You are paid a higher rate for orders that are on a shorter deadline. I have not received one of these yet. I'd imagine they go by seniority.  less
Pros
Flexibility, Interesting, Supportive Staff, Decent Pay
Cons
Occasional audio issues
What you dont know
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  HomeSeptember 4, 2017
What they don't tell you is that once you start actually working after completing the training, you will not get paid for about the first 45 days. They say the pay net 30 which means they pay you 30 days after you have actually worked. Then your first check will be very small because they start you off with the cheapest work. By the time you get an actual paycheck its been about two and half months of working with them. And trust me, you're not going to think it was worth it but if you need money, I guess it's better than asking for handouts at your local market, but then again, maybe not.
Pros
Better than nothing
Cons
At least you're making something
Good company for work-at-home job
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Work from homeNovember 17, 2016
I've been typing for NT for a year. I do law enforcement transcripts. It's an interesting job and, with few exceptions, always has audios available. Pay is direct deposit on the 1st and 15th of every month and never late. Staff is very helpful and someone responds to my questions promptly. I would recommend Net Transcripts to anyone looking for a legitimate company to work from home as an independent contractor.
Pros
Good staff support, interesting work, work from home
Cons
Low pay, but higher than other on-line transcription companies
Low pay, overstaffed, and have to scramble for work
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  onlineSeptember 21, 2016
For the quality they require, pay is dismal. Also, they are so overstaffed that you are constantly scrambling to get orders, so you spend a lot of unpaid time just trying to get work to type.

The flexibility of the job is nice, but with so many people working the same accounts you are, the hours put in are very disproportionate to the paycheck you bring home.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low pay, overstaffing that causes little to no work.
Wonderful company to contract with.
Law Enforcement Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJuly 27, 2016
What I like best about Net Transcripts is I can get as much or as little work as I want.

I like it much better than other places where you go in and check if you have been assigned anything?

I also like the ability of the flexible deadlines --24- 48- 72 - 120hrs. It helps me plan my work week.

The people are pleasant, happy, and helpful. They're process is smooth and organized.

This is a reputable company who asks for and gives high quality service.
Pros
Work as much as I want, and deal with cheerful people.
Cons
Pay rate is a low for the quality they ask for..
Swift and seamless hiring process
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 18, 2016
No problems during employment as sub-contractor with this company, flexible hours and work and office staff fast replies
8 months with NT - Highly Recommend
Law Enforcement Transcriber (Current Employee) –  HomeMarch 9, 2016
I’ve been doing Law Enforcement Transcription for the last 8 months, so I consider myself a newbie. When I first got started, I was more than a little apprehensive because I’d never worked with an on-line company before. I was really surprised when I saw some of the negative comments here about how people were treated as a number, didn’t get a lot of feedback, or struggled with earnings.

When I was training, going through the evaluation process and learning what the company expected of me as an independent contractor, I was very impressed with the support I got from staff. I asked a LOT of questions and always received prompt and informative responses. I never felt they didn’t want me to succeed. You have to be okay with your work being closely scrutinized and when it is scrutinized, you have to keep in mind that it isn’t personal. Court documents have to be as precise as possible and while this job isn’t the same as court reporting, all the documents can (and often are) used as evidence in court proceedings.

Once I got started doing transcriptions on my own, it was a slow process because I had to refer to specification requirements to make sure I was doing things the right way. I still refer to the requirements a lot, but it’s getting a lot easier for me to find things and incorporate my findings into the transcript. I was told by staff things would get easier with time and they were absolutely correct.

It’s great being able supplement my retirement income and being able to do it from home is definitely a plus. Did I need to spend a minimal amount of my own
  more... money to buy the necessary equipment to get started? Yes, but I paid for it with my first pay check. I don’t know anywhere else you can start an enterprise of your own and pay for your initial investment that quickly. Is it important that you take the time to learn what the company expects of you and spend the time required to deliver what is asked of you? Yes. Time management, as with any job, is key. With encouragement and guidance from staff, I’ve been able to successfully increase the number of minutes I am transcribing. Do I make a fortune? No, but I also don’t pay for gas to go to work, put mileage on my car, pay for office attire, etc.

The contractor portion of the company website is very user friendly and I’ve yet to have a problem using it or with dealing with the employees who field contractor e-mails. You can choose audio files that fit the amount of time you have to commit. There can be audio issues with some of the interviews, but I’ve had great experiences in asking for assistance when necessary and when there is an audio issue I’m always sure to report it. If an improvement on audio quality can be made, the staff is very responsive.

I highly recommend this company for someone interested in becoming an independent contractor in the field of Law Enforcement Transcription with an established organization.

Job Work/Life Balance - 5
*Only after really struggling with my own time management. It is still a struggle, because the time can get away from me when I'm "encased" in my head phones.

Compensation Benefits - 3
*Initial compensation is spelled out when you start as an independent contractor, but I have no idea if there is potential for increases in that category.

Job Security 5 / Advancement (Unknown)
* There is definitely job security, but I don't know about any potential for advancement or future increases in rates of pay per minute.

Management 5
* I've yet to experience contact with anyone in management who hasn't been extremely well versed and prompt with handling questions or problems that arise. Task management, delegation, response, follow-through and final verification all seem to flow very smoothly down the chain.

Job Culture 5
* Sometimes people incorrectly attribute a short e-mail response as someone being "short" with them. I don't know if it's my age (older!), but social media has changed how people interact electronically. Emotion gets (unjustly) interjected into something that is nothing more than an exchange of information. I would imagine on the receiving end when a staff member corrects an error(??), because people add subjective interpretation when they "read between the lines". I tend to welcome feedback and have frequently solicited it, but I don't know if that's typical (??). Maybe (new??) contractors need to be reminded your staff deals with an entire pool of us, so responses are going to be as brief as possible and they shouldn't read anything into it. I've enjoyed the staff's interactions on-line immensely and your staff, (both management and support staff alike) are very easy to work with.
Pros
Good way to supplement income while working from home
Cons
Income can often seem disproportionate to the number of hours put in.
Great Opportunity for a diligent and reliable contractor
General/Conferencing Typist (Current Employee) –  New JerseyFebruary 10, 2016
I choose when and how much I work, and my direct deposits have always been on time and accurate. Contact with staff is efficient and pleasant.

The hardest part of the job is when the audio is of poor quality, but it's usually pretty good. The best part of the job (besides being able to work at home) is learning about all different aspects of business -- Wall Street jargon, sales tactics, IT. And not only is that interesting, it also increases your typing speed. As you become familiar with various terms and acronyms, you are not constantly losing typing time researching them.

Sure, I wish the pay was better; but as mentioned in the last paragraph, there are ways to increase speed, and thus compensation.
Pros
Being able to work from home; pay is on time and accurate.
Cons
Haven't had a raise in seven years.