Net Transcripts logo
Happiness rating is 76 out of 100Above average

Net Transcripts Employee Reviews

3.7starWork-Life Balance

Found 48 reviews matching the search.See all 54 reviews

Wor is good, flexibility is great, pay is very, very low.

It is very nice being your own boss and working from home. The flexibility is superb. The pay leaves a lot to be desired, but the work is pretty easy. It's a good job if you are looking to supplement your income, but you don't make enough to live off of.

Pros

Flexibility, Easy Work, Work from Home

Cons

Pay

Poor management

If corrections had to be made, they would not tell you. So it was hard to improve. They do not encourage you or give you support. They will just stop giving you work.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Poor management

It works if you work it!

The jobs are interesting. Pay rate is per minute of audio. Your transcription rate depends on how fast you can produce the transcript from the audio. You can make good money if there are enough of the higher rate jobs and if you are fast and make use of Word shortcuts and auto corrects or use a dictation software to finish more quickly. The help desk and support people are great and they are very responsive to requests for help with technical or audio quality problems.

Pros

Work when you want as long as you meet the deadlines

Cons

You have to work really hard to make a lot of money

Pay is on-time and dictators were good - everything else not so great

The only positives I have is the pay was on time and the doctors were very clear speakers and easy to understand. They quote a higher than average line rate for the industry, but then you have numerous steps to perform in order to actually transcribe and upload a file. There is no single queue for the work to pool in, you have to go into multiple folders and check for work. They don't want you working on one queue and clearing it first and then moving to the next, they want it done in order of dictation, but that means going in and out of numerous folders every few reports to check for the oldest jobs. My particular supervisor would basically chastise the entire group via e-mail when one or two made errors rather than singling out the error maker so they knew what they needed to change. Each client had different account specifics and rather than train you on one or two at a time so that you could get down their specifics they had you training on multiple dictators at the same time and working on all of them during the same day. Because of all of these things, the "high" line rate ends up being more around $10/hour than the $18-25 you envision with the original rate quote. They hire you for a specific shift, but then hire numerous other people before anyone is well-trained and productive, so that you end up running out of work numerous times throughout the day. It is IC work so there are no benefits. Finally, if you make it through all the hoops and learning the various account specifics for individual doctors, and finally get productive on the account, they cancel your -

Pros

Good dictators in medical, on-time pay.

Cons

Too many steps to type/upload, no training to speak of, bad supervisors.

No More Toxic Work Environment

Let me just start my review by saying that this job is certainly not for everyone, but if you do share some of my traits you may find that this contracting position is absolutely perfect for you and your situation. The job is 100% remote, which means that you work completely from home. I know that most of us are working from home right now because of COVID – but that will not last forever for most companies. I consider myself a self-starter and enjoy working completely independently without people etc. breathing down my neck and micro-managing me. As long as you can meet the deadlines on time, you will be able to succeed. I started working for Net Transcripts after I had my daughter, because I wanted to continue to earn money without putting her in day care and work around her schedule. It is also so nice not to have nosy co-workers as well – seriously my whole pregnancy was a nightmare because of their intrusive comments and advice. At Net Transcripts you just do your job without toxic work environments and if you have an appointment you just go – no song and dance to a supervisor needed. No Skype or Zoom calls for daily "check ins." I personally love it that I can balance my work life and family (finally!) Give it a try, you may really love it too.

Pros

Completely open scheduling, no more nosy office Karens ruining your day

Cons

Doesn't pay the big bucks

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Flexible

It's great when there is plenty of work, but when it's slow it's hard to get enough work to call it steady. Other than that, it's a great company to work for. The hours are flexible and at will, it's completely remote and the managers are very responsive if you need them.

Pros

Work from home. Flexible hours.

Cons

1099, no opportunity for advancement, not always enough work to go around.

Just overall stressful

I'm going to start out by saying that I've been a transcriptionist over 13 years... never have I had to go through such an excruciating process to 1). get hired, 2)., scavenge for jobs, and 3)., no leeway when you've got absolutely terrible audio you cannot plausibly transcribe within a normal timeframe. For instance, you have to log into their site and literally fight for jobs. They only put out so many, so you better be logged in so you see what they have. Next, no matter what you pick, you have to have it in by the specified time even if you let them know about audio difficulties... and boy, if something goes wrong in your actual life? You better bet you're going to pay for it, it doesn't matter for what, they will charge you for it. So, say you have an audio that is 96 minutes long but the interviewers are stuttering and the interviewee is stuttering, and you have to do this entire audio pure verbatim including every uh, um, watamathamotherfucker (or whatever he/she said), you're literally spending hours on this file already... then your kid's school calls... and says you need to pick them up, they've got a temp of 101. That takes literally over an hour to do, then you've got to come back to stuttering detectives and interviewees... only to be late on your job because you're trying to get it right.Not only that... but YOU pay for your background check. YOU pay for your fingerprinting (and not their fault your local police department doesn't do it anymore! You have to drive 45 minutes away ((or however far the nearest service that does it!)) and PAY over $50 -

Pros

Interesting work

Cons

Terrible construct of a business, low pay, non-forgiving... read the review, it lists everything.

Low-stress, work-from-home job

Love the hands-off approach to work at Net Transcripts. You set your own schedule based on the projects you take on, which is great for a work-life balance. It's a great job for anyone who wants to work from home.

Pros

Best transcription compensation rate I've found (which isn't saying a ton)

Cons

No upward mobility, not an employee, no benefits

Not worth wasting your time.

You are expected to spend your money and your time to train and jump through numerous hoops, fingerprinting, background checks, etc, which can take up to four weeks. After that, you will never make more than minimum wage, and you will NEVER get a raise!! "Talent Acquisition" enjoys making you feel less than human regularly. You will spend countless hours scouring their website for work, only to scrape together a few jobs to do as this type of work is dying quickly. Sometimes, Accounting will "forget" to pay you for numerous accounting cycles even though the company is making a profit. In the end, you will make very little money, and they will have absolutely no appreciation for your time and effort whatsoever. Please do not waste your time on this company. They are not worth it.

Pros

Remote work

Cons

Bad management, no work, constant belittlement.

Professional and friendly

Deadlines to meet. Thorough style guidelines. Professional and friendly staff. Always work available. Outstanding communication. Laid-back atmosphere. Rewarding and interesting work.

Important job pay is completely incommensurate.

I've worked out that the pay is about $6 an hour before tax - being a sub contractor means they can avoid minimum age and any and all employment laws. HR are for the most part, grouchy. I believe it would be impossible to earn more than $12,000 a year before tax working full time. No benefits, no health insurance, no paid time off, etc, etc. They haven't raised their rates in three years and have said they won't be in the near future. Company made record profits last year. You would actually earn more money claiming unemployment.

Pros

You can work when you want

Cons

Pay is beyond awful. No benefits

I work when I want to everyday

If you're looking to earn some extra income or make this your full-time work; either way it's worth it. No matter where you go you will always fine complainers so it's better for you to find out yourself. If you type fast and have good English grammar skills then you'll be fine in this position. I honestly love it. I get to work from home (literally in bed) at any time (day or night). I get to choose how much work I want to do each day/week. Since each audio is different it makes it interesting and you learn something new each time of how law enforcement, investigators and other government agencies do their jobs on a daily basis. At the beginning you'll be getting the hang of learning what the formatting requirements are and receiving very helpful feedback. But as soon as you get used to it, you'll be claiming as many orders as you need to pay off your rent/mortgage/bills/debt, etc. Although there aren't medical benefits you still get many other benefits to enjoy, such as: No more waking up to the same alarm reminding you that you have to be in somewhere from 8am to 5pm or 9-6 (whatever), NO MORE TRAFFIC hassles, no more toxic work environments, office gossip, having to spend as much on clothes/shoes/gas for travel (unless you just naturally are addicted to shopping, spending and traveling). You can still go on vacation anywhere for as long as you want because you just need your laptop (and foot pedal) to get the job done. You get to choose when your break is and for as long as you want it for. If you have kids, they'll be happy to see you home. If you get sick or have a doctor's -

A Very Good Company To Work For

I was a little hesitant at first because I had not heard of this company previously. But after getting through the on-boarding process and getting my first sample to try out, I immediately wanted to continue working with them and further my typing skills. Overall, easy to work for and easy to pick up new typing skills.

Run as fast as you can

During the application process they make it seem like they're doing you a favor. They are not. My guess is they hire you as an independent contractor as a work around all the labor laws. There is absolutely no way that you can make a living wage doing this. I type about 90 wpm. It's not even worth it as a part-time. The pay ends up being less than minimum wage. I know because I timed it. The content is interesting and important but their pay is horrible. I don't see this company staying around for much longer if they continue to pay their people that way. Probably why they just got bought out. I recommend everyone pass on this.

Pros

Important work for law enforcement

Cons

Pay is horrible!

Inconsistent Standards Waste Time and Make Success Unlikely

I am an experienced transcriptionist, familiar with a myriad of styles and work. Net Transcripts had a long, complex set of instructions for the quirks of how they wanted their transcripts formatted, but then they would never be consistent with these requirements. I would transcribe audio to their specifications only to have the supervisor come back and tell me they wanted things done the opposite way of what was stated in the online manual/guide. When I would change the transcript to match their emailed specifications, they would come back and say it needed to match the online guide. The extreme and blatant inconsistency resulted in a huge waste of time. I ultimately let them know this was not a workable scenario. I'm happy to conform to specific or stringent formatting requests, but so much back and forth and contradiction wastes a great deal of time and makes success nigh impossible. I would recommend individuals looking into this position look elsewhere to a company that can provide consistency in their demands. Working for Net Transcripts is likely to result in wasted time and energy.

Cons

inconsistent standards, mixed messages, not a workable scenario

Fair and honest, nice folks to work with.

I was only here a short amount of time, but I enjoyed it. Sometimes the audio is difficult to understand, but the work itself is interesting, and the people you work for are nice and available.

Pros

Nice people, interesting work.

Cons

Lower pay, poor audio.

Very Low Pay - High Expectations

First the pros; The variety of reports. The guarantee that you'll be paid for the work you've completed. There was always work except for on long weekends. Now the Cons: The pay is very low. When you factor in the time spent typing, proofing, and billing, you'll be lucky to hit minimum wage. The others who have written about the process are providing an accurate accounting, so be sure to read them all. While these may be disgruntled contractors, they are speaking truth. Read their comments and take them at face value. When you choose an audio, there is no way to know what you'll be getting. You can get anything from a pursuit to a meeting. You can have a multitude of speakers that you cannot identify, to just two speakers. You may be fortunate and get something that's clear and easy to understand or not so fortunate and get something that you spend an enormous amount of time going back and forth trying to figure out what's being said. You may get all one language, then again, you may not. You may get the same consistent format or you may get a specialty format that requires you revisit the specifications time and time again to ensure accuracy. You are not compensated any higher for the challenging orders. Like any business there must be rules you must adhere to. If not, you will be financially penalized. (At times this results in your making far less than expected). Flexibility is good. Just make sure you're timely. The time and cost to get started is another thing to factor. You must pay for and pass a background, supply your own equipment and internet. -

Pros

You do get a check every two weeks

Cons

You'll spend a lot of hours making very low wages

Interesting Work

If you're looking to work for yourself, set your own hours, and determine your desired pay, this is something you should consider. They have high standards and look for a high degree of accuracy, but if their contractors aren't able to meet those standards, they would lose their customers. Interesting cases, interesting work.

Excellent company and very interesting work.

I've been transcribing LE audios for Net Transcripts since 2012 after working as a legal secretary for many years. Initially I planned to work a couple of years until my husband retired, but I became addicted to working for this company and haven't been able to bring myself to quit, though I do this part-time now. As others have mentioned, the pay is not comparable to what you'd make in a "real job," but you can write off your expenses and there are no words to express how much I love not spending hours a day commuting (which you're not paid for), having to dress professionally, and not working for firms that have cut staff ratios and benefits drastically while hiring more lawyers and creating somewhat hostile work environments where the multiple layers of management are constantly looking for ways to drive out experienced (expensive) staff to save $$. This company has ruined me for ever working for "the man" again. Every communication I have had over the years with every department of Net Transcripts has been extremely respectful and positive. I feel like they're my virtual friends though I try to work on my own to resolve issues before reaching out for help so I don't wear out my welcome. Yes, the audios can be challenging, but I feel extremely honored to work for this company on behalf of the law enforcement community, whom I also have enormous respect for and the company's expectations are reasonable. I'm not sure I could work enough hours to live on this salary but it's a great supplemental income and the pay has recently changed from the net 30 I've been receiving.

Pros

VERY interesting work, very flexible schedule, excellent staff at the company

Cons

Pay should probably be increased

Good Job

It was a good job to learn the art of transcribing and listening. It did not pay much if you could not work much, but it was ok. Only with them a few months.

Pros

work from home

Cons

sometimes the audio was terrible

Complete waste of time

This company will waste large amounts of your time with no remorse. It is clear they do not value the time of their transcribers. Also-don't bother applying unless you already have all of the equipment and software needed.