NEVADA HUMANE SOCIETY

NEVADA HUMANE SOCIETY Employee Reviews

Amazing people, but no room for advancement with little pay.
The people and culture at NHS is great, it's probably the overall friendliest and easy going place I've ever worked. Everyone gets along pretty well and is willing to help you with anything you might need.

There is very little disconnect between staff and upper management when you compare NHS to many other companies. Communication is clear and concise and they are very good about keeping staff in the loop with most things.

The only downsides of working here as an average employee is there is almost no room for advancement or pay raise, and the base pay isn't phenomenal by any means.

Basically, this isn't a job you get into for the money. You either do it out of passion for the animals or for the experience needed to further a future career in the animal care industry.
Pros
Great work environment, Good management, Clear communication between staff
Cons
No room for advancing, bad pay, sometimes understaffed
A revolving door
I love working with the cats but this shelter seems so poorly run. We constantly run out of food and proper protection gear that prevents the spread of disease. We haven't had any cat litter in the shelter for a WEEK! We have been using whatever old clumping litter we can find. Many employees buy supplies just to get by. How this is even possible in a shelter like this just absolutely blows my mind.
Workplace Environment

Political

Poor management

Poor communication skills

Less leadership mentality
Relaxing and Fun place with plenty of animals
This company had really give me the beginning experience that i had needed in order to grow towards the goal of having my first job. The animals will be great company to those who love pets.
Productive and fun place to work, but...
This really is a great environment to work. Knowing that your making a difference and helping homeless animals find their forever homes. Makes me feel like I did something great at the end of the day. With that being said, its a fast pace environment that always keeps you on your toes. Training is quick and hands on, but it sometimes feels your being thrown right into the wolfs. I maybe got a full day of training before I was just thrown out. If your used to this type of work flow then its really easy to pick up and get going. I do feel that there needs to be a better way in training new people. So they don't feel overwhelmed or left behind due to a lack of knowledge. Lastly, the pay. Honestly its not that great. I understand working for a non-profit comes with a smaller pay, but with how much it costs to live in Reno now its difficult. Raises come little and far between and when they do its not a hole lot.
Pros
Great place to work, good people, adorable animals
Cons
Training feels rushed, pay is meh
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Fun & Rewarding place to work
Everyday is a new day where I learn something new. My role is to care for the people that care for the homeless pets in our community. Each day I get to see the significant impact our organization makes in the community, by saving lives and finding pets their forever homes. We all work hard for a wonderful cause.
Pros
Get to be around wonderful animals all day
Animals are not the priority
Upper management and administration is unprofessional and consistently lies to the public and employees.
Zero room for growth, unless you are willing to be a puppet and still continue to make poverty level income. While management is paid well and all above them.
The love of the cause
It was the love of the cause that kept most people at the Nevada Humane Society while I was there. Working with homeless animals is emotionally draining and very little support resources were available to support the staff.
What a Joke!
This place was a complete joke! If you want to work for minimum wage and nwver be trained and expected to do EVERYTHING then have at it
It sucked and so did LR
Pros
Dogs and Cats
Cons
Animal drivers
very competitive
most of the workers are nice and respectful in all departments, the upper management sucks, i wouldn’t recommend anyone to work there because the pay sucks and pay bonuses are under a $1.00 rasie if you get it.
Pros
free adoptions, free spay/neuter, getting to know the animals
Cons
poor pay, poor upper management and they don’t give employees enough credit for the work they do
Loved working with animals but management was poor
Most work days in the summer is was beyond hot in the facility, we didn't get a break unless it was lunch time, weekend mornings i would be scheduled for deep cleaning and my clothes would be a mess and then they would proceed to have me help people find pets after I was done cleaning. Scheduling was always off.
Pros
I love cats and being around them, got to see new kittens
Cons
little to no breaks, exhaustive work, not enough pay
A Great First Job
Working in a shelter is a difficult field and I wouldn't recommend it as a career choice. You toil long hours for little pay, but all the animals reward you in their own way. Work tends to follow you home and it can be hard emotionally. Often many employees leave due to this reason.
Great stepping stone into the animal welfare field
If you are looking for a great way to start your career In the animal welfare industry NHS is a great start. There are so many areas you can work in. NHS loves cross training staff in other departments as well so you can learn a lot about how Shelter's operate, and even work in a clinic setting.
Pros
Discounted Vet care
great place to help with the animals
The Nevada Humane Society was a volunteer job that let me interact with custo,ers, workers and all the animals. it was a stress free place to work. Overall it was a great place to help out.
Warm, caring environment.
Great organization, great people, doing great work. I would recommend that anyone give their time and donations to these wonderful people that save the lives of abandoned and injured animals.
Nevada Humane Society Volunteer
Awesome company to volunteer for. Lots of different dogs to play with and great employees. Have been a volunteer for three years. Love to come in and see all the different selections.
Volunteer position
Volunteer position. It was a wonderful experience working with the dogs. I would pet them walk them, clean up after them. I would do anything that needed to be done.
Pros
help ing animals
Cons
finding time to volunteer
Fast paced work environment
For approximately 40 kennels each shift: Feed dogs, clean indoor and outdoor kennels, clean outdoor community pens, clean all meal bowls, assist other employees with transferring dogs to visit potential adoption. Very physical work.
Pros
majority of staff are very friendly and very mindful of the care they are giving to each animal.
Cons
very poor wages for the type of physical labor that is expected
Working with animals
Learned a lot about dogs and cats. Walked the dogs the small ones. I do the laundry, fold the laundry for the animals. Help clean the stalls. I do whatever they tell me to do.

I help in any way I can. I help customer's when they come in to adopt animals if staff is busy.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
No thank you for my volunteering
Challenging and rewarding
I worked there briefly as a kennel attendant. They work with high volume adoptions. You see a lot of animals coming and going. It is fast paced because there is a lot of work to get done in a short time. It is loud and stressful but very rewarding because you feel like youre making a difference in the lives of those animals. It is dirty physically taxing work but I loved it.
Pros
Working with animals in need
Cons
can be heartbreaking work at times.
unproductive
I would come in and enter the days lost/found reports. the management was quiet, but when I had a question they would quickly answer. Soon after I started they automated all their data entry so they no longer need my help.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at NEVADA HUMANE SOCIETY. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7
2.8
Ratings from women
2.6
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
NEVADA HUMANE SOCIETY Reviews by Location