New Alternatives for Children, Inc.

New Alternatives for Children, Inc. Employee Reviews

United States36 reviews
Positive contributing team members. Supportive and Encouraging work environment and administrators/supervisors. The most enjoyable part of the job is working alongside my colleagues.
If you are looking for work that may pay your bills, this is the place for you. That is, if you have minimal expenses. The only perk is sick days and vacation time.
Pros
Sick days
Cons
Micromanagement, racism, toxic office culture
NAC has been a really great place to work. I am only per-diem (3-7 hrs per week) so I can't speak for the whole agency and what it might feel like as a full-time employee; however, I am very happy with my experience thus far in my current position. I plan to stay. My supervisor has been very accommodating and responsive. Overall, I'm satisfied.
Hard to move up in the company. Low pay. Great vacation. No retirement plan. Flexible scheduling. Helpful supervisors. Hazardous work environments in public housing, potentially dangerous. Use of own cell phones to call clients. Use of own metrocard.
Pros
Flexible
It's a small company and therefore it allows for them to be so behind everyone else for technology and work culture. Also management doesn't know how to grow a team environment effectively. There is also a lot of issues with who gets promoted and how.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Management was supportive and always available. Although the workload was alot to manage, you are able to build alot of social work skills. You also have the opportunity to work with different departments.
A typical day is well rounded , keeping busy and helping each other. Communicating with others departments and helping each other. Working around and listening to each other ideas.
NAC was a great place to start my full time career after college. However, if you do not have a social work background, it may be hard to climb the professional development ladder.
Pros
- truly a good learning experience

- flexible work hours

- lots of trainings and prevalent in-services

Cons

- unsafe working conditions

- your safety in the field as a worker is not a priority whatsoever and it’s almost frowned upon to discuss feeling uncomfortable in certain situations. I received serious threats by clients and was still forced to go to their home and was told I had no option but to go to incredibly unsafe areas after dark to meet the home visit requirements

- really poor compensation

- no room for growth that comes with higher pay
I like it here! This is the first time I have been at a job for more than a year and it's great!! My supervisor is great, relaxed, chilled and supportive. The directors at this agency are great too. I love my clients! There is sooo much room to grow at this agency, in this company.
Great position for recent college graduates. I learned a lot about the child welfare system and heavily collaborated with case planning agencies, collateral providers from schools, doctor's offices and other community based organizations. You learn how to effectively manage your time as it pertains to scheduling field visits and appropriately documenting necessary information. Workplace culture was pretty relaxed, and chill. Had a great group of colleagues and fair management team. After awhile the job became a little monotonous, but I really enjoyed working with the children and families!
Pros
offered free LCSW supervision and flex time
Cons
Poor compensation for LMSW licensure
Difficult cases but well worth the outcome. Many cases to choose from, great way to earn experience towards LMSW. Grateful families and youth. Very rewarding work.
NAC brought a perspective of enlightment to my career. I would never have seen myself if it weren't for NAC giving me the mind to structure,activity.
Pros
location
Cons
office space
Overall, the company has great potential to be great. However, the leadership and management is poor. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the families. The hardest part of the job is the ego's of management.
Pros
Pay is fair
Cons
Leadership and management is poor
-Home visits 55% of the work
-Documentation 40% of the work

-Supervision: 2 hours minimum (Best supervision a social worker can get in nyc in my opinion.), great management, although they are not always direct so you won't get ticked off. If you are a more straightforward person, ask for a supervisor that will do that, and you'll get one.

-I learned very much about the child welfare system in nyc and how to be patient when working with other people (i.e. clients).

-Office culture is relaxed and friendly. Your mornings (and time spent at the office) will always be nice.

-The hardest part of the job is time management. Do your homework and learn to manage your time before applying here.

-The most enjoyable part of the job is to witness humanity at multiple levels (e.g. social, economic, political, psychological (cognitive and temperamental mostly), medical, etc. etc.)
Pros
Great office culture, supportive staff, amazing structure, great clinical supervision, sense of security in your work
Cons
Lax environment, not recommended for people who want to be micromanaged
The environment at this organisation is relaxed and productive. They offer opportunity for growth as well as many opportunities for training and development.
Agency specializes in foster care youth with medical/mental health needs. Collaborative work encouraged. Flexible schedule. Employees are overall supportive and helpful. Compensation can be improved. Technology would benefit from being updated.
Pros
Learning environment
Cons
Compensation
if this is the type of work you interested in getting into it is an incredible agency to work for. foster care has to be your passion otherwise you will feel overworked and underpaid. if you are truly passionate about this population then you will love working for a reputable agency with highly qualified staff members.
it's a good place to start your career. However, politics is involved in climbing up the ladder when it comes to promotions and other job opportunities.
Challenging and rewarding work with children and families with a variety of challenges. Valuable experience for new social workers. However, management is often not supportive and at times critical of staff members. Senior level management is out of touch with social workers in the field.
Pros
Families and children can be supported and assisted with challenges.
Cons
Management staff can be inconsistent with guidance and support for workers.
Its a great place to work right after college. The Free Waiver Service Provider position offers a lot of flexiblility but its a lot of traveling, and field work.