New Alternatives for Children, Inc.

New Alternatives for Children, Inc. Employee Reviews

NAC is a wonderful place if you really want to help your clients unfortunately they just don’t care about their employees the same way. They will put the concerns and needs of their clients before their employees. In the past they have changed the pay dates with little warning there has even been a time where they have forgotten to pay us. Raises have been postponed. But what they give to the client is exceptional. I continue to work for them because of the good we do for our clients but if they continue to treat their employees this way I will not be working there for long
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
They don’t care about their employees
This place is what it is, to be honest, use it as experience and keep pushing. Kids and coworkers make your workdays as it should be. Nonetheless a good place to get your motivation to put out more job applications.
Much better than many social work companies. May depend which department you're in. For Prevention department, very organized and thoughtful and supportive leadership. The work itself can be tough, thankless (from clients) and slow progress, but that is social work. The company is OK. They are making attempts in DEI but most leadership is white. Salaries could be better but are not the worst for social work. Not much of a "fun" work culture... no bonuses (except yearly raises for some staff-- no transparency to know who) or staff appreciation or team building efforts.
Pros
Flexibility and no micro-managing (but likely depends on your supervisor)
Cons
Not a "fun" work environment, mostly white leadership
Okay place to start. No room for growth. Poor benefits. Would only recommend if you couldn’t get a job anywhere else. Ask for the highest starting pay, otherwise your pay will be extremely low. The people who do the ground work are great to work with.
Pros
Flexible schedule, one month vacation time, centrally located
Cons
Benefits are mediocre, The retirement plan is only offered to whoever upper management chooses, High turnover rate, Emotionally taxing job, No tuition reimbursement.
Worked in the kitchen. I have an impressive resume. My co-workers were the best ive ever had! However, kitchen manager wanted a monkey not an experienced cook. She had no trust in any of us, was mean, was rude, was hateful, and micro managed us to death. Mind you we all over the age of 45. Dont need to have a babysitter. She would put you down, pick on you, mock you, and write you up for stupid stuff, even when i wasnt on shift. Shes forgetful and disrespectful to the kitchen. However, she would laugh and joke with anyone outside kitchen. She didnt like when we spoke amongst ourselves nor socialized with any other members. Loved to be there for the kids but this person made the environment very stressed and made for a bad work space.
Pros
Free food, working with kids
Cons
Kitchen manager!
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
If you are looking for work that may pay your bills, this is the place for you. That is, if you have minimal expenses. The only perk is sick days and vacation time.
Pros
Sick days
Cons
Micromanagement, racism, toxic office culture
NAC has been a really great place to work. I am only per-diem (3-7 hrs per week) so I can't speak for the whole agency and what it might feel like as a full-time employee; however, I am very happy with my experience thus far in my current position. I plan to stay. My supervisor has been very accommodating and responsive. Overall, I'm satisfied.
Positive contributing team members. Supportive and Encouraging work environment and administrators/supervisors. The most enjoyable part of the job is working alongside my colleagues.
Hard to move up in the company. Low pay. Great vacation. No retirement plan. Flexible scheduling. Helpful supervisors. Hazardous work environments in public housing, potentially dangerous. Use of own cell phones to call clients. Use of own metrocard.
Pros
Flexible
It's a small company and therefore it allows for them to be so behind everyone else for technology and work culture. Also management doesn't know how to grow a team environment effectively. There is also a lot of issues with who gets promoted and how.
Management was supportive and always available. Although the workload was alot to manage, you are able to build alot of social work skills. You also have the opportunity to work with different departments.
A typical day is well rounded , keeping busy and helping each other. Communicating with others departments and helping each other. Working around and listening to each other ideas.
NAC was a great place to start my full time career after college. However, if you do not have a social work background, it may be hard to climb the professional development ladder.
Pros - truly a good learning experience - flexible work hours - lots of trainings and prevalent in-services Cons - unsafe working conditions - your safety in the field as a worker is not a priority whatsoever and it’s almost frowned upon to discuss feeling uncomfortable in certain situations. I received serious threats by clients and was still forced to go to their home and was told I had no option but to go to incredibly unsafe areas after dark to meet the home visit requirements - really poor compensation - no room for growth that comes with higher pay
I like it here! This is the first time I have been at a job for more than a year and it's great!! My supervisor is great, relaxed, chilled and supportive. The directors at this agency are great too. I love my clients! There is sooo much room to grow at this agency, in this company.
Great position for recent college graduates. I learned a lot about the child welfare system and heavily collaborated with case planning agencies, collateral providers from schools, doctor's offices and other community based organizations. You learn how to effectively manage your time as it pertains to scheduling field visits and appropriately documenting necessary information. Workplace culture was pretty relaxed, and chill. Had a great group of colleagues and fair management team. After awhile the job became a little monotonous, but I really enjoyed working with the children and families!
Pros
offered free LCSW supervision and flex time
Cons
Poor compensation for LMSW licensure
Difficult cases but well worth the outcome. Many cases to choose from, great way to earn experience towards LMSW. Grateful families and youth. Very rewarding work.
NAC brought a perspective of enlightment to my career. I would never have seen myself if it weren't for NAC giving me the mind to structure,activity.
Pros
location
Cons
office space
Overall, the company has great potential to be great. However, the leadership and management is poor. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the families. The hardest part of the job is the ego's of management.
Pros
Pay is fair
Cons
Leadership and management is poor
-Home visits 55% of the work -Documentation 40% of the work -Supervision: 2 hours minimum (Best supervision a social worker can get in nyc in my opinion.), great management, although they are not always direct so you won't get ticked off. If you are a more straightforward person, ask for a supervisor that will do that, and you'll get one. -I learned very much about the child welfare system in nyc and how to be patient when working with other people (i.e. clients). -Office culture is relaxed and friendly. Your mornings (and time spent at the office) will always be nice. -The hardest part of the job is time management. Do your homework and learn to manage your time before applying here. -The most enjoyable part of the job is to witness humanity at multiple levels (e.g. social, economic, political, psychological (cognitive and temperamental mostly), medical, etc. etc.)
Pros
Great office culture, supportive staff, amazing structure, great clinical supervision, sense of security in your work
Cons
Lax environment, not recommended for people who want to be micromanaged
The environment at this organisation is relaxed and productive. They offer opportunity for growth as well as many opportunities for training and development.