New Alternatives for Children, Inc. Employee Reviews

excellent carrer changer
BILLING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2018
NAC brought a perspective of enlightment to my career. I would never have seen myself if it weren't for NAC giving me the mind to structure,activity.
Pros
location
Cons
office space
Short Review
Prevention Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NY; Bronx, NYJuly 17, 2018
-Home visits 55% of the work
-Documentation 40% of the work
-Supervision: 2 hours minimum (Best supervision a social worker can get in nyc in my opinion.), great management, although they are not always direct so you won't get ticked off. If you are a more straightforward person, ask for a supervisor that will do that, and you'll get one.
-I learned very much about the child welfare system in nyc and how to be patient when working with other people (i.e. clients).
-Office culture is relaxed and friendly. Your mornings (and time spent at the office) will always be nice.
-The hardest part of the job is time management. Do your homework and learn to manage your time before applying here.
-The most enjoyable part of the job is to witness humanity at multiple levels (e.g. social, economic, political, psychological (cognitive and temperamental mostly), medical, etc. etc.)
Pros
Great office culture, supportive staff, amazing structure, great clinical supervision, sense of security in your work
Cons
Lax environment, not recommended for people who want to be micromanaged
Relaxed yet productive environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2018
The environment at this organisation is relaxed and productive. They offer opportunity for growth as well as many opportunities for training and development.
Good Place to gain experience
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYApril 9, 2018
Agency specializes in foster care youth with medical/mental health needs. Collaborative work encouraged. Flexible schedule. Employees are overall supportive and helpful. Compensation can be improved. Technology would benefit from being updated.
Pros
Learning environment
Cons
Compensation
great agency for the field
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYApril 7, 2018
if this is the type of work you interested in getting into it is an incredible agency to work for. foster care has to be your passion otherwise you will feel overworked and underpaid. if you are truly passionate about this population then you will love working for a reputable agency with highly qualified staff members.
good work environment
Health Care Integrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2018
it's a good place to start your career. However, politics is involved in climbing up the ladder when it comes to promotions and other job opportunities.
Challenging work but lack of support from management staff.
Social Worker/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2018
Challenging and rewarding work with children and families with a variety of challenges. Valuable experience for new social workers. However, management is often not supportive and at times critical of staff members. Senior level management is out of touch with social workers in the field.
Pros
Families and children can be supported and assisted with challenges.
Cons
Management staff can be inconsistent with guidance and support for workers.
Great Place
Free Waiver Service Provider (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2018
Its a great place to work right after college. The Free Waiver Service Provider position offers a lot of flexiblility but its a lot of traveling, and field work.
New Alternatives for Children is a great place to work but there is slight biases there
Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  37 West 26th Street, New York, NY 10010November 8, 2017
New Alternatives for Children is great place to work but some of the workers do not advocate for the families. Staff is great to work with. There is wonderful atmosphere at the agency.
Pros
Great team to work with
Cons
Some social work staff have biases with the population that they work with
Making a Difference
Human Resources Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2017
Going to work and feeling that you are giving back is a great feeling. I come into work and do my job knowing that I am helping the employees of a company that focus on helping medically fragile children of NYC. NAC is very laid back and people are friendly and personable.
Consistent and fast communication with supervisors
Waiver Service Provider (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2017
Supervisors are readily available by email and over the phone 24 hours whenever in need of assistance with assigned case load. Very professional environment and promotes your independence as a waiver service provider to implement ideas of service goals.
Pros
professionalism, consistency, great pay
Cons
no healthcare or benefits for part-timers and per diems, no union for per diem positions but is understandable
small business
Account payable/receiveable Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 14, 2016
this was a true small business with small business ideas. Very outdated. all paper. was not interested in making it more updated. When I left they just got email.
wonderful people
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner/Nutritionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 17, 2016
Very supportive place and doing good for the underserved.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people that truly need the help and knowing that they know their life has meaning and is valued.
Flexible
Advocate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2016
Have the ability to work with different populations. Can participate in various training's to develop your skills. Can choose to work with more clients or less based on your own availability
Lacking cultural diversity
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  NY, NYJune 11, 2015
This agency enables foster parents and tends to have poor boundaries. The CEO always talks about money and put the money in places it doesn't belong rather than to give raises or to get some proper air conditioning in the building. The culture diversity is poor. Mostly Caucasian social workers with minorities for clients. How ironic. Instead of hiring more social workers the CEO continues to take on more and more cases overloading the few social workers she has.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Compensation, work load, excessive hours
Planned Respite Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2015
Great place to work with supportive staff and flexible hours. I truly enjoyed the time I spent with my client.
Productive fun place to work
Aftercare Service Social Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2015
Wonderful work environment, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Comprehensive supportive services to families in need
Pros
Knowledgeable supportive staff
Cons
Can be overwhelming
fun workplace
Waiver Service Provider (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2014
Great Place to work at. The people are friendly and they pay is good; however, they dont assign you too many hours and I feel the work a WSP does is often under appreciated
Great chance to gain experience in the field of child and family services.
B2H (Level 2) Waiver Service Provider (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2014
Company offers great experience, they are extremely efficient and organized. They also prepare you extensively before providing services for clients.
Remarkable
Full-time Waiver Service Provider (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2014
I work with children in foster care and I would say its the most enjoyable I have had so far. I have learned so much from my families which have fined tuned my skills and made me the social worker I am today. I look forward to providing services and achieving goals with my families by working through a strength base approach. New Alternative for Children staff is supportive but at times lack the ability to enhance on my abilities or forward my career. The hardest part of my job I would have to say would be closing cases because I build long lasting professional relationships with my families which at times they have a hard time letting go.
Pros
Working with children and families
Cons
lack of growth in the field

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Alternatives for Children, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about