New Alternatives for Children, Inc.
Happiness rating is 63 out of 100

Working at New Alternatives for Children, Inc.: 49 Reviews

United States49 reviews

Friendly workplace and working with different clients.

It's a great social service. Management needs a bit of improvement, it's interesting working with different clients. It's a friendly workplace culture.

Average started job

Average started job for a social worker. A lot of flexibility and travel to different boroughs. Had to do home visits which could have its up and downs

New Alternatives for Children, Inc. insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks

Don’t go there

Firstly, NAC is a huge agency with multiple departments. It’s easy to get confused and not know where to find the help you need. One of the biggest reasons I left the agency was because the pay was horrible and it didn’t reflect the workload that was given. The supervisor was not present enough to teach agency me the needed tasks to get me started. Most of my learning was from the peers in my same department. Once I found a better paying position outside of the agency, management began treating me differently and saying things like “this is why I’m hesitant to hire recent MSW grads”. I don’t recommend this agency.

Pros

Hybrid (when I worked there)

Cons

Bad management, had to learn on my own.

Many Opportunities for Skill Development

At NAC, I have been able to use and develop variety of skills while presenting on social issues, working directly with clients, developing new program initiatives, leading trainings, and working collaboratively with staff from other child welfare agencies. I have been promoted several times during my time at NAC. My continued social work education has been supported by the agency leadership. I have learned a lot about the needs of children with complex health care needs and the supports available to them. I have felt that the managerial staff at NAC have been invested in my well being and professional development.

The experience gained was priceless. Overall, terrible place to work.

I worked at NAC for 6 months May-Nov 2021. When interviewing, I was told that the job was hard, I never imagined that it would be what it was. To start off, for the amount of work done, the compensation is POOR. There’s no overtime, they replaced that with “comp days” which were NEVER USED because of the extremely poor work life balance. I would start my work days at 9 am and on average work up until 8 at night. There were many nights that I worked until 2 am and always during weekends (my days off). The supervisor and director were not supportive. The overall experience was horrible. Being that this was my first social work job, it left a sour taste in my mouth and even made me regret my career choice. This job is ok if you’re using it for experience ONLY , until you get your license.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

You don’t really work from home because your doing home visits and supervising family visits.

good productive work

good time lots learned helped children in need. lots of walking good workout. Lunches were short pay was ok. Found a passion I wasn't aware of. non profit

Very supportive supervision, good benefits

I learned a lot at NAC and grew professionally. I appreciate the diverse, knowledgable and committed staff. There were frequent and compelling in house opportunities for training and professional development and a lot of drive to increase awareness on social justice issues. I really appreciate my time there

Pros

Great benefits, flex time

Cons

Can’t think of one

its okay

good place to start if you are into social services but a lot of home visits, and mandatory visits to homes of clients. Its overwhelming. Some families can be difficult

Great for clients

NAC is a wonderful place if you really want to help your clients unfortunately they just don’t care about their employees the same way. They will put the concerns and needs of their clients before their employees. In the past they have changed the pay dates with little warning there has even been a time where they have forgotten to pay us. Raises have been postponed. But what they give to the client is exceptional. I continue to work for them because of the good we do for our clients but if they continue to treat their employees this way I will not be working there for long

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

They don’t care about their employees

Use it for Experience

This place is what it is, to be honest, use it as experience and keep pushing. Kids and coworkers make your workdays as it should be. Nonetheless a good place to get your motivation to put out more job applications.

Good, for a social welfare organization

Much better than many social work companies. May depend which department you're in. For Prevention department, very organized and thoughtful and supportive leadership. The work itself can be tough, thankless (from clients) and slow progress, but that is social work. The company is OK. They are making attempts in DEI but most leadership is white. Salaries could be better but are not the worst for social work. Not much of a "fun" work culture... no bonuses (except yearly raises for some staff-- no transparency to know who) or staff appreciation or team building efforts.

Pros

Flexibility and no micro-managing (but likely depends on your supervisor)

Cons

Not a "fun" work environment, mostly white leadership

Okay place to start.

Okay place to start. No room for growth. Poor benefits. Would only recommend if you couldn’t get a job anywhere else. Ask for the highest starting pay, otherwise your pay will be extremely low. The people who do the ground work are great to work with.

Pros

Flexible schedule, one month vacation time, centrally located

Cons

Benefits are mediocre, The retirement plan is only offered to whoever upper management chooses, High turnover rate, Emotionally taxing job, No tuition reimbursement.

We have a job because of the children

Worked in the kitchen. I have an impressive resume. My co-workers were the best ive ever had! However, kitchen manager wanted a monkey not an experienced cook. She had no trust in any of us, was mean, was rude, was hateful, and micro managed us to death. Mind you we all over the age of 45. Dont need to have a babysitter. She would put you down, pick on you, mock you, and write you up for stupid stuff, even when i wasnt on shift. Shes forgetful and disrespectful to the kitchen. However, she would laugh and joke with anyone outside kitchen. She didnt like when we spoke amongst ourselves nor socialized with any other members. Loved to be there for the kids but this person made the environment very stressed and made for a bad work space.

Pros

Free food, working with kids

Cons

Kitchen manager!

A good starter job, but don't stay

If you are looking for work that may pay your bills, this is the place for you. That is, if you have minimal expenses. The only perk is sick days and vacation time.

Pros

Sick days

Cons

Micromanagement, racism, toxic office culture

Good Choice

NAC has been a really great place to work. I am only per-diem (3-7 hrs per week) so I can't speak for the whole agency and what it might feel like as a full-time employee; however, I am very happy with my experience thus far in my current position. I plan to stay. My supervisor has been very accommodating and responsive. Overall, I'm satisfied.

N/a

Positive contributing team members. Supportive and Encouraging work environment and administrators/supervisors. The most enjoyable part of the job is working alongside my colleagues.

Good experience low pay

Hard to move up in the company. Low pay. Great vacation. No retirement plan. Flexible scheduling. Helpful supervisors. Hazardous work environments in public housing, potentially dangerous. Use of own cell phones to call clients. Use of own metrocard.

Pros

Flexible

it's ok

It's a small company and therefore it allows for them to be so behind everyone else for technology and work culture. Also management doesn't know how to grow a team environment effectively. There is also a lot of issues with who gets promoted and how.

Great place to build social work skills

Management was supportive and always available. Although the workload was alot to manage, you are able to build alot of social work skills. You also have the opportunity to work with different departments.

Fun Enivorment

A typical day is well rounded , keeping busy and helping each other. Communicating with others departments and helping each other. Working around and listening to each other ideas.

Good

NAC was a great place to start my full time career after college. However, if you do not have a social work background, it may be hard to climb the professional development ladder.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Alternatives for Children, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare New Alternatives for Children, Inc. with

• New Alternatives for Children, Inc.