New Bedford Public Schools Employee Reviews

Nbps
teacher (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MANovember 5, 2018
New Bedford is a great place to work. Management teams are great, the department truly cares for their students and always has their best interest in mind.
terrible system
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  new bedford high schoolOctober 10, 2018
new bedford public schools runs a terrible system. there is no job security . the admins do not care about employees no wonder why their students are not succeeding
A place where excellent matters
Elementary Principal (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJuly 21, 2018
Highly committed and dedicated educators, administrators and stakeholders create an engaging environment to teach and learn. New leadership will create new momentum to continue great work done by previous administrators.
Pros
A network of diverse educators and administrators
great place for children to learn with loving teachers
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJune 12, 2018
Management was great. the principal was available must of the time if I needed help. I was able to lead the class whenever the lead teacher was late and was also able to get trainings to better do my job.
Pros
free to keep me up to date
Cons
did not find a problem in this school at all.
The most enjoyable part of the job
General Science Teacher Grade 8 (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAMay 25, 2018
The hardworking, compassionate staff. This is an urban setting and many of the students have big challenges and the staff's empathy and endless effort are amazing.
Pros
Incredible coworkers
Cons
Limited resources
Challenging and satisfactory when working with the students and families
Parent Support Specialist / McKinney-Vento (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAMarch 16, 2018
My role was appropriate to help homeless students and the families, therefore was satisfactory. I enjoyed my time at the New Bedford Public Schools helping students to succeed despite their socio-economic circumstances.
Pros
Satisfaction
Cons
Communication
negative
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJanuary 16, 2018
i did not enjoy the drama with coworkers. the students were challenging yet the actual work was rewarding. the administration was poor in mt opinion. the luch routine was very unorganized
Pros
the students
Cons
the management
Very Professional and very good Team work for this School System.
Paraprofessional Educator (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MADecember 18, 2017
I worked in a classroom supporting the head teacher with Behavioral Children or Autistic Children. I documented each child's work assignments and behavior daily and reported to the Parents on how their child did.
okay to work for
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MANovember 21, 2017
I got paid very well, but there was no job security. I did not have adequate support from the administration because of their lack of experience in the area of special education.
Superintendent Fail
Confidential Secretary (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MANovember 5, 2017
I am not happy with the administrative support. Students have multiple behavioral and emotional needs that are not being met while test scores and data are forever pushed as the most important thing.
Pros
pension
Cons
long hours unappreciative

Want to know more about New Bedford Public Schools?

Ask a question
One of the worst jobs I have ever had.
Jr. Data Technician (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAAugust 14, 2017
Management was terrible. Working conditions were terrible. Inadequate equipment to perform job responsibilities yet our department was given electric cars to drive from school to school. I'm much happier now that I have left.
Substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MAAugust 11, 2017
I would be called randomly at six A.M. and have to get anywhere in the school district to teach grade school students. I learned that much was expected of me without training as I never had a teaching degree.

Some of the management was not supportive, expecting someone with no IT background to help with technology. Others in management were extra supportive; helping me to actually get results needed.

Workplace culture is good, in some schools in others I was seen as a scab,

The hardest part was not knowing when you would be working.

The best part was making a difference in a child's life.
Pros
Warm feelings
Cons
unknown schedule
Fun and Rewarding
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAAugust 2, 2017
I really enjoyed working with the kids and helping them with their education. The teachers and Staff were also great. The hardest part was that we didn't have enough staff to do the work we had, so we were very stressed with our deadlines.
Special ED
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJuly 20, 2017
It is a good place to work. The building staff is great and supportive. Everyone helps each other get by. The kids are hard working and are trying to improve themselves.
Large school system...worked with at-risk students
RECONNECTIONG YOUTH FACILITATOR (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJune 21, 2017
NBPS is a large school administration that does not meet the linguistic and diverse student population consistently or efficiently. Climate very political, where emphasis should be on the quality of superintendents and teachers to meet the vast learning and special needs of their whole student population.
Public schools are on the decline.
Senior Custodian (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MAMay 23, 2017
The job, itself is stable and comes with decent benefits. Hours are shift related (Not flexible). Working days during school hours can be challenging for newer hirees. Second shift pays a differential and is more of a straightforward job based on timing.
The latest regulations have hampered the level of control and discipline by the school administration over the students. This makes working around the children somewhat difficult . The bottom line, it's not for everyone.
Pros
Benefits are decent for the area.
Cons
Pay rate is lower than surrounding School systems, the discipline within the school department has drastically decreased over recent years
An Overview of each day
Speech Language Pathologist Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MAMay 8, 2017
A typical day involves servicing about 25 children per day. These children have many difficult behaviors and are mostly non-verbal. the sessions begin at 8:30 and end at 2:30. During those hours, the children are provided with direct service. I have learned many aspects of speech therapy with a focus on oral motor feeding disorders and articulation disorders. The workplace can be stressful and very hot climate wise. The building is run down and each room is in need of a major update. The hardest part of the job is servicing groups of 4 children with ASD with little staff along with many behaviors going on at first. The very most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the great progress all the students make and the ability to help non-verbal children communicate.
Pros
Helping children, enjoyable staff, great hours
Cons
Little supports, short staff, no resources
City of New Bedford provided 27 years of public service experience for me..
Clerk/Sr. Account Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAApril 24, 2017
Typical day at work was processing payroll meeting all deadlines. Managed department accounts payable/receivable with department expenses/revolving accounts. Worked in excel spread sheets logging all expenses/credits, journal entries, worked with year end close out of books, etc. Effectively processed purchase orders, efficiently expedited invoices for payments to vendors. Prepared department/grant with budgets, Assisted with resolving accounting issues, and submitted accurate reconciliations. Communicating with various inter-departments, including superintendents office, consultants contracts, and out side vendors ordering services or supplies. Serving the general public with resources as needed. I also accurately processed and managed various state and federal funded grant accounts. Performed all clerical and secretary duties.

I learned how to be work together as a team, not allowing personalities get in the way of my responsibilities. Most importantly was to proudly and professionally serve the City of New Bedford and the general public.

The hardest part of the job was to receive information/paperwork from other department staff needed to move forward with the matter at hand.

The most enjoyable part of my job was accomplishing my day to day tasks effectively and efficiently at the end of each day. Thus, making my boss happy with my work performance.
Pros
Stability employment, reasonable health insurance, Enjoyed my work.
Cons
No opportunity for growth.
good
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MAFebruary 11, 2017
I was a teacher at New Bedford High School for 10 years, teaching Algebra and Geometry to Special Needs Student with behaviors issues. I do testing, write IEPs, and have Chaired Team Meetings. I am currently working in New Bedford with Special Needs Kindergarten students.
Pros
working with the students is rewarding
Cons
the State has been taking over our schools
Very difficult student population; very dedicated teachers
English Teacher & head girls' soccer coach (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAOctober 18, 2015
With 28 schools in the district, there is quite a variety here. Students have many challenges (at home & school), more than most districts, so if you really want a place to make a difference, this could be it.
Test scores don't tell the whole story.
Pros
very dedicated teachers
Cons
Very difficult student population;