New Century Hospice Employee Reviews

Dishonest managers and lack of integrity
Confidential (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 5, 2019
Somehow this company attracts people with poor ethics, poor communication, lack of integrity. Horror stories abound. High turnover. A culture of profit above compassionate care for patients. The perfect example of profit dominating all decisions... If you have to work there, beware of the backstabbing, lying, meanness.
Pros
Only money
Cons
A culture that is dysfunctional and profit hungre
Massive turnover and the patients suffer
Consultant (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 21, 2019
You don't get a second chance when a terminally ill patient puts their faith in your care. Continuous turnover of staff, missed patient visits, poor coordination of supplies and ordering medications are just a few things I witnessed. Although pay was great and benefits were good...there was complete lack of training, no communication from management. Numbers is the only thing this company cares about. As staff exited, leaving patients without care, corporate still dragged their feet to send support.
Pros
Pay
hard to judge. Company bought out after I left
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Denham Springs, LAMarch 14, 2019
Staff very friendly but extremely strong unspoken underlying stress which became evident within the first month of employment. It all pointed back to one person who left when company changed hands. I wish the company much success now.
Pros
great resources, benefits
Cons
undermining by staff trying to protect their position
I love this place
Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Harker Heights, TXMarch 8, 2019
would still be there had the salary been more. But i have nothing bad to say about New Century recommend to everyone their service. They are all like family. Just a wonderful place to work
Good place to work at
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 7, 2019
Everyone was supportive of each other. Fulfilling work. Only downside was trying to use the work tablet, which was not user friendly and made charting more complicated and timely.
Salary position
Registered Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 18, 2019
Good nurse to patient ratio. Lots of on call hours. Long hours. Small environment. Team Effort. Still growing. No admissions and no on-call team. There are worse places to work.
Pros
Autonomy
Bad
Worker (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAFebruary 15, 2019
This is a toxic workplace. Long hours with no regard for the employee. The only thing they care about is profit. There is favoritism and especially some employees who get more time off than others. Have to work on vacations
Demanding time constraints. Always seemingly short staffed.
Patient Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Muskogee, OKFebruary 3, 2019
I enjoyed my experience at New Century. I had opportunity to expand knowledge base, but wanting to work less hours than job demands. The Director of operations position was constantly changing as well, but some great CNA's and other team members!
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Unrealistic expectation and time demands
Toxic
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 24, 2019
I am an employee that also worked in the management side of things and watched good people leave at an alarming rate because sales team was pushed hard to bring in numbers. Heard senior management use the terms regarding, "We will do the right thing," multiple times and speaking with front line staff as well as junior and middle management all expressed phrases like being "nauseated" when hearing this terminology come out of senior management because nothing could be further from the truth. Occurrences regarding illegal activity were not uncommon on the business development side. Sales rep was reprimanded and threatened with termination should the activities continue and this individual was banned from yet another facility for unethical practices but it was never passed on to HR because this individual brought in numbers. The same individual violated HIPAA and was banned from a facility on another occasion and still other occasion's impersonated a nurse when dealing with equipment company so equipment could be ordered according to what they wanted instead of what was appropriate for patient. Many times the numbers that were brought in were not appropriate for hospice admission which was verified by staff with greater than a decade of hospice experience. Report had to be filed with office of inspector general because of illegal activities and medicare fraud issues. Clinical staff is tasked with maintaining patient and family satisfaction however sales team were always rewarded with bonuses at the expense of the sweat and tears of the clinical staff. Sales team may promises  more... that were unethical and not covered under CMS guidelines. Sales team on numerous occasions pressured clinical staff into bringing patients on in an unethical manner. MDs were also pressured and it has been noted on more than one occasion they will get rid of clinical staff that do not conform to this behavior. For the record I am an employee who loves what I do and who has had multiple patients and caregivers expressing gratitude. When geographic areas were changed some patients went to other team members but these patients or family members requested previous roles to be put back into place. I have always loved my job but when we are pressured into bringing on individuals that are not appropriate for hospice admission it is nothing less than medicare fraud and illegal. They do not hold sales staff accountable. The work environment here was toxic and morale was at an all time low. By far the worst company I have ever worked for. Even worse then working in the correctional industry. Shed many tears out of frustration and felt like I was being pressured to compromise my integrity or find another place to work. Absolutely no accountability could be seen in upper management nor some of the sales team. Upper management sales left me wondering if she had a soul at all. I'm not sure if people internalize at times that they will be held accountable and will have to give an account for their sins.  less
Pros
Reasonable pay.
Cons
Toxic and Hypocritical
great company
Patient Care Coordinator / Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 22, 2019
I loved working for New Century Hospice. Management and staff are compassionate people who have the same values for patient and family care. Enjoyed going to work everyday.
Good company
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasJanuary 20, 2019
Traveling daily to places to see patients is difficult to adjust to. The real issue was after a 40+ hour week you still had on-call days at least every other week. If you missed a day you had to make some of the visits up on your own or you had to pick up visits for some one calling in making it a longer day/week. Needed more prn staff available. Scheduler would change your visits mid day adding added miles and time to your day. If you are not a person who likes to drive all over the place it is not the career for you even if you like doing hospice.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Unpredictable scheduling
Just another Hospice
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 18, 2018
It hard caring for someone that is dying, but you keep going to be strong for the family. The family looking at you to keep they loved one here and you can't.
Fun place to work
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 6, 2018
Good work environment. Team players, great management team. I would have stayed but my position was eliminated due to company going totally electronic and paperless.
Good organization to work for. Caring and loving on humanity is always a pleasure I noticed.
Externship (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 13, 2018
New Century Hospice was a compassionate organization. Comforting the patience family when there love ones was in pain or has died. The staff was warm and considered of the family needs and wants. Always stayed on top of what needed for the family,
Volunteer
Internship (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 29, 2018
I was a volunteer. I usual come in on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I would go out to patient's house and sit and talk with them while their loved ones go out to do grocery shopping or whatever else they need to do. There is nothing hard about this job. I really enjoy talking to these elderly patients.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 28, 2018
New Century was a good place to work. Excellent benefits. Work independently. abcdefg hij kmlop qrs tuv w x w and z. This thing is still requiring me to type some more.
Would rather not say
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 31, 2018
I would rather not say what working there was like. it was great until an acquisition, then not so great. I'm writing this because it is making me. Thank you
A pretty good place to work
Chaplain (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 21, 2018
It was great to have the freedom to set up your visits for the week. I set things up for geographic convenience and then coordinated to ensure patients would be there. IDT's were often dedicated to nursing such that chaplain and social worker would sit there, our input not requested.
Pros
Great working environment with members of the IDT
Cons
Fighting with the automation to get mileage reimbursment
Great team, great job
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJune 21, 2018
New Century offers a great team and an excellent opportunity to gain experience. The team is very close knit and works together on a daily basis, good communication is an absolute must and they do a great job of that. Wonderful people work here and its clear that all off them really care about their job and what they do. We make a difference at New Century Hospice!
Pros
gift cards for birthdays, annaversarys, putting in extra time
Cons
no recruitment program
great work environment
Hospice Chaplain and Relief RN (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 6, 2018
team work, great team, good benefits great communication. Easy access to support team. Resourses available to assist you with daily operations of your job.
Pros
great communication
Cons
holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Century Hospice. Our community is ready to answer.