New Directions Youth & Family Services, Inc.

New Directions Youth & Family Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very poor social services delivery
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Randolph, NYJuly 13, 2018
Residents were enabled instead of taught how to interact with various systems. They did not have to deal with decisions or consequences of their actions and were rewarded instead of dealt with.
Pros
Babies
Cons
Teenage attitudes, management style, shift hours
A great place to work with great people
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Randolph, NYJune 17, 2018
The typical day at work was enjoyable. The staff pretty much always work together. The job itself could be hectic but the kids there are all there for a reason so on a bad day I just had to remind myself to not give up on the kids. Other staff made it fun.
Pros
Coworker and helping the kids change their lives for the better
Cons
The unpredictability of the kids
Lots of time in the community
Wraparound Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYMay 30, 2018
My job was spent in the community where the residents resided and it offered me the opportunity to learn about programs, events, and activities in other cities. It allowed me the opportunity to collaborate with service providers within Erie County as well as other counties. I learned a lot about mental health treatment and trauma informed care. The hardest part of my job was when I had court, in another county, early in the morning. There was a lot of driving and long hours. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the families and residents to return them home to their family.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Monroe, MIMay 18, 2018
It was an awesome place to work and I loved to work there. I was taught a lot by volunteering there and would definitely go back in the near future. I loved the manager.
rewarding at first, then burnout
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYFebruary 22, 2018
Many good people at this company, but lack of transparency by administration concerning to staff. Many held to different standards, which became discouraging to those working hard.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
lack of administrative support
positive environment
Vendor (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYSeptember 26, 2017
management receptive to feedback
normative culture
supportive team members
open communication from top down
employees treated fairly and acknowledged for acomplishments
Great people to work with
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Randolph, NYSeptember 24, 2017
I have worked multiple positions within the company. I have enjoyed each position worked. The atmosphere is very friendly an open. Many employees have inter office connections with family, but that comes with the small town location.
Pros
Lunch at RCH, meals included at residential
Cons
Long days, ever changing schedules
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYSeptember 5, 2017
for a single parent with children in school it is a great place to work. mostly close nit environment. I would recommend you to work there if you have the patients and call to work with at risk children
I enjoyed working with the at-risk students.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYAugust 11, 2017
Working with the very at-risk students was very challenging. Each student came with their own set of problems. You had to maintain your emotions when things got out of control. Your attitude was extremely important when dealing with the students.
Pros
Watching some of the students gain confidence & attempting to change their lives
Cons
Poor pay considering the dangerous situations that sometimes occurred.
The Youth are amazing and make it worth it
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Randolph, NYApril 12, 2017
The youth are the reason I loved the job so much. Even on bad days it wasn't hard to have a good day. I loved being active with them, unlike some staff their like supervisors and the head supervisor. The management is nice to an extent. They do not like it if you build relationships with the "bad" kids, but they are all amazing kids
Great place to work!
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lockport NyApril 27, 2015
I have been working for New Directions for over 5 years. Previous to working for NDYFS I had many different kinds of jobs. I had never stayed with a company more than a year. When I started working for NDYFS I learned what it was like to make a real difference, and to work with a group of people all focused on making positive changes. The people who work here are like a family, and there is such a supportive atmosphere. There is definitely a unique atmosphere that is one of a kind. Working with at risk youth and families is as challenging as it is rewarding. The benefits are good, there is a abundance of PTO time, dental, medical, free meals, and job security. There is also a lot of room for advancement within the agency.
Pros
great supportive atmosphere, a LOT of pto time, the ability to make a difference
Cons
the pay isn't what it should be (although not awful), can be stressful at times
Overall great, but challenges were present
Recreation Staff/On-Call Cottage Staff (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYNovember 3, 2014
The kids can be really hard to work with, but they often needed something to break their shell. Once I got to know many of them, the relationships were real and exciting. Many of my co-workers were nice, but you could definitely tell some of them were there for the paycheck. The hardest part is dealing with tough kids who don't listen or care. The best part, however, is being able to be a part of the transformation that some of these kids went through during their time at New Directions.
Pros
Free meals for the direct care staff
Cons
Hard kids
overall a very good place to work.. I would recommend it to others
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYJanuary 23, 2014
A very fun place to work. Family minded, approachable and professional management. Caring and compassionate staff, team atmosphere.

Studying Business Management and seeing the display of a very productive style of management was influential. The hardest part of the job was being in a position where there was no room for advancement, therefore forcing me to further seek career advancement.
Pros
Travel distance and work hours were pleasurable and complimenting
Cons
The pay and no room for advancement
Nice to teach children things that they otherwise wouldn't have an opportunity to experience.
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Randolph, NYJune 14, 2013
I have received my adult and infant cpr and my first aid certification from red cross through the training at new directions.
Pros
Healthcare is available, Paid time off, Holiday bank
Friendly, supportive work environment
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 29, 2012
A very good organization to work for and to gain experience. A day typically deals with working with at risk youth and their families by providing various services to maintain the family unit and to avoid the removal of the youth
Pros
flexibility

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Directions Youth & Family Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

New Directions Youth & Family Services, Inc. Reviews by Location