New England Aquarium Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
volunteer at the new England aquarium
Visitor Education Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 23, 2018
I really love the place and the people there. most of my day i would spend my time talking to visitors and telling them about the sea, animals, animal behavior pollution and how we are spoiling the nature. we would have presentation and interactive games.
Extremely fun, interesting and educational place to work.
Freshwater Aquarist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 9, 2018
Took this job to learn, and learn I did! Everyday was something new about the species in our care and the ways we care for them. Very relaxed and interesting co-wokers.
Closely worked with corals
Research Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 15, 2017
closely worked with corals and researches and had possibility to SCUBA dive to collect specimens for research. Possibility to participate in other projects.
fun work
Visitor Service Representative (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsOctober 3, 2017
-ticket sales
-patrol the building
-I learned alot about the animals in the aquarium
-seeing the animals and being able to attend presentations, touching the animals
Pros
free tickets
Cons
pay
Busy workplace with lots of friendly faces.
Visitor Educator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 6, 2017
I worked as an unpaid teen intern. When I could, I worked extra hours. Many of my fellow teens were paid fro doing the same job as me. It cost me twenty dollars a day to get to work. I felt so guilty for taking two days off I worked even harder. Although I did not get paid, had to deal with stressful situations hourly, I absolutely loved it. I didn't care about the money I cared about the people.
Pros
Getting to experience the aquarium in a whole new light
Cons
No pay, long commute, no recognition for efforts
Exciting place to work
West Wing Aquarist Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 4, 2017
The New England Aquarium was an excellent place to work. I was able to interact with a variety of animals, as well as teach visitors about conservation.
Pros
Interacting with animals.
Cons
Tough work
Busy and fast passed
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 21, 2016
Overall the New England Aquarium is a great environment to work as a team when commutation is clear and given by all team members. Very educational even for the employees whom dont work interacting with the animals. Very informative regarding current sea life news. Everyone is nice and eager to help each other out.
Pros
Free admission to other locations
Cons
Constant damaged materials
New England Aquarium Intern
Marine Mammal Research and Education Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston Harbor, MAJune 14, 2016
They expect 3 - 4 days a week 9 - 5 completely unpaid work. The only benefits are free access to the aquarium and some discounts on local museums.
Amazing Management
Box Office Senior Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 23, 2016
It was a harboring environment that allowed to grow and become a better individual and employee.
By far the best management I have ever had. They care and never make you feel inferior.
Pros
Management and Job culture
Cons
People tend to be annoying.
Interesting learning enviroment
Volunteer in the Turtle Conservation Program (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAApril 13, 2016
IT was awesome working with the rescue department and learning all about sea turtles. You get to see the rescue and rehab procedure from when they come in to when the turtles are released. You also get to help the Vets examine the turtles as well as feed them
different
Box Office Cashier (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2016
Different then what you would expect. Strict and hostile environment. Very low pay. Alot of drama that it feels like high school and it doesnt make it stress free to come in
Pros
out by 6
Cons
management
Very Productive and Interactive
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 2, 2015
Fast paced environment and very social place. showing customers and the children a wonderful experience . Excellent place to gain customer service and make bonds with those who come
Pros
promoted quick
Best job I ever had
Animal Presenter (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 22, 2015
During my time at the NEAQ I met the best people to work with they trained me and taught me so much about a non profit organization. I learned a lot about different animals. I also felt like I learned how to master public speaking because after the proper training I was talking in front of an attendance as big as 500 people. The hardest part of the job was probably knowing I couldn't go far in the company because i was so young at the time and I already went as far as I could in the company.
Pros
Interacting with all the animals
Cons
not being able to go higher in the company
Concessions Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 9, 2015
My day start at 8:00 am, I do check all my employees that are schedule they are on time. after check all my area , I do go to my office to check email and any request. I do paper work, order, schedule, inventory, Meeting. Also I do check all area are running properly from our expectation.
New England Aquarium
Assistant Supervisor/Host (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 24, 2015
Best place to work part time, it's fun, educational and the very interesting. I love that place and i always meet new people from different countries that come here just to study the behaviors of seaa animals.
Fun place to work, but good luck getting in.
Part Time Educator (Former Employee) –  Boston MAMarch 30, 2015
NEAQ is a wonderful workplace with a great mission and wonderful employees. Part time jobs pop up occasionally, but if you haven't been volunteering there for the last few (or 20) years, good luck getting an interview. Very difficult to move up or into higher or full time positions.
summer job
Seasonal Visitor Educator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 3, 2015
the greatest job a teen or a adult interested in the world of water could ever have. Wonderful co workers amazing guest and lots of things to learn from this job .
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
productive, hardworking, fun, and satisfying work place
Intern (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 1, 2015
Worked with all around amazing people and could not have asked for a better experience as my first internship.

A typical days include taking and recording temperatures, observing the animals, cleaning husbandry tanks, daily feedings, and interacting with the public whenever possible.

Hardest part of the job, be willing to constantly be on your feet- running up and down MULTIPLE flights of stairs, carrying heavy things. Don't be afraid to get dirty.

Most enjoyable part of the job- all of it. I loved every single part of the job.
Pros
discounts
Cons
interns are not likely to be hired
Great workplace with wonderful surroundings.
Lead Cashier (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 27, 2014
For 5 years I've worked here and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. There are so many amazing people as well as the beautiful animals. After all, work is a lot more fun when you get to talk about fish!
Upper management...
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 23, 2014
Didn't really know what to do in their jobs when I was there. Most are gone now, but I dont know how the new people are.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New England Aquarium. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight