New Hanover County

New Hanover County Employee Reviews

worked as dispatcher
Worked as dispatcher. loved working with the public , long hours, very stressful at times. Just do your work and mind your own business, don't get caught up in office politics because if management hears about it they will remember it for years to come.
Pros
get several days off in a row
Cons
long hours on call
I enjoy working for New Hanover county
I really like working with my coworkers. I'm just looking for some extra income. I'm a extremely dependable worker. I've had a lot of experience in customer service.
For New Hanover county Clerks Office
The most dysfunctional, political, back-biting, management picking favorites office I’ve ever worked for. If you’re not in— you’re out ! If you’re not first— you’re last. You can and will be replaced at the drop of a hat with no reason given. Management is mediocre at best. Don’t ... just don’t!!
Pros
Cons
Management playing favorites
I enjoy working with and being a part of, New Hanover County Government. Great pay and benefits. Professional environment and open door policy with superiors.
Great place
Very good place to work, and alot of overtime. HR are very helpful, and very responsive to all concerns. Over all an amazing place to work. I would recommend to to anyone.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Another Day a the Office
A typical day at work. Work Orders, Routine Grounds check, Daily Inspections. Inspect Employee Areas. Unlock Building and disarm alarm. Check daily Emails .
Poor management and communication
Poor Management and communication. Nothing is confidential even if they tell you it is. The rules only apply to the people that don't fit into their box and social status.
Terrible
I worked part time as a substitute teacher for New hanover county schools. It is was a terrible job, and not worth the time. The hours conflict with my Music business.
They all suck in inspections department
In the building inspections department New Hanover County sucked to work for. Nepotism, cut throat favoritism. HR people sucked. Hans Shulte sucks!!!!
Pros
Getting out of the office to do our job.
Cons
Driving own vehicles to do inspections. County has plenty of cash
Reasonable place of employment
High volume of public contact. Affords the opportunity to work with a diverse group of individuals and learn about the community services provided as well as make referrals.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
lack of advancement opportunity
unsafe and difficult work environment
12 hour shifts, extremely difficult to even get a quick bathroom break, let alone get a day off approved. Mandatory overtime, unqualified supervisors, unsafe working conditions, low pay for the position.
Great Working atmosphere
The work enviorment was very relaxed at times unless you were under a time limit. I learned to work under a deadline. Managment was very good. The incentives are very worth it. The hardest part of the job was living so far from family.
Beware
Beware of management! Their method of managing is using fear, threats, belittling, shaming, etc. If you question them or stand up for yourself, they will use it against you and target you. They will attack you as a person, your personality, your clothing, your weight, your medical conditions, etc. There is absolutely no job security here. You are absolutely replaceable, no matter how good you are at your job. Please beware of working here and apply at your own risk.
Pros
Insurance benefits, Personal & Sick time
Cons
Its a very nice and fun loving environment
My job is good, my work is not rough usually mopping sweeping cleaning bathrooms taking out trash and buffing floors.

My coworkers are very friendly everyone gets along and are very good team players.
Website easy
Help was given easy and provided. The website was a little confusing at first and hard to understand but took time to figure it out. Good details though.
Awesome place of employment. Definitely a office that is well-run
Very busy and fast paced. Must have great public service. Management is excellent a fantastic place to work! If you like working with the public, and working in a fast paced job environment, THIS JOB IS FOR YOU!
Good place to work if you can get in
I really enjoyed my time interning here. The only downside is the lack of employment opportunities. It is NOT easy to get a job here!
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Lack of job availability
Nhc dss
I love my job, from getting in and throughout the day of all the different tasks I am issued. If I weren't relocating, I would remain at my current job.
Fun place to work
A typical work day varies from day to day.

Co-workers are great to work with.

Multi-tasking skills are needed with this type of job with all aspects as are excellent communication and interpersonal skills,
Pros
A typical work day varies
Cons
computer software used for permitting is slow
Nice Co-Workers
Good place to work, nice environment for patients. Allows workers to have more freedom to accomplish company's goals.
Excellent employer
the day begins with a meeting and then we set out to accomplish our tasks while responding to emergencies. excellent mentorship and I would recommend to anyone.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Hanover County. Our community is ready to answer.