New Hanover Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
great place to work for
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 18, 2018
Its a lot of competiton in the area. Overall its a great company to work for but it is hard to transfer to other departments. I prefer working PRN and having a full time position with another company.
Never a dull moment as there was always something happening as life saving techniques were asserted and practiced.
Environmental Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 8, 2018
Highly charged atmosphere, the need to conduct fast friendly service was a must. People were depending on the staff to ensure them that the world was still a caring place. We dealt with life and death situations on a daily basis and therefore kept ourselves motivated to do all that was expected of us and more. Education and advancement was encouraged as department staff were offered classes to receive the proper training to gain internal job transfers. Housekeeping one day x ray tech the next.
Pros
The pay was good and opportunities for career advancement was made available.
Cons
Germs, viruses, and contagion ran rampant on my immune system and I was frequently sick with a cold, or stomach flu.
Too much scrutiny
EVS Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Pender MemorialJune 30, 2018
Worked in evs at Pender
The job was easy, benefits great.The coordinator micromanged too much.He needs a class in leadership.wouldnt have been a bad job if it was not micromanged
Transfer Center Nurse (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJune 12, 2018
Love my job most days. Great environment and a good place to work. A typical day is 12 hours using computers and phone to conduct transfers into and out of the facility and deciding on level of care for the patient. Paging and speaking with physicians is harder part of the job.
Pros
Great schedule
good learning experience
Staff Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 30, 2018
Hard work but lots of opportunity for learning. Excellent for new grads. Great atmosphere and support from management. lots of opportunity for overtime and incentives for flexibility with shifts.
Great place to be employed
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 20, 2018
Great management and benefits! Typical day at work, handle discharges in a timely matter for the patients. I enjoy this job, you get recognized for the effort work I do for the company!
Treats employees like children, no concern for nurses from higher management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMay 5, 2018
Thumbs down overall. Nurses treated like machines or cows in the herd with no regard for individual needs, allows patients to repeatedly abuse nurses both verbally and physically and does nothing when reported.
Pros
Nurses are great here
Cons
Higher up management, Vice President, Ceo
Productive and fun work place
cook (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 2, 2018
Good overall place of employment. Good positive vibes and the atmosphere is cool and calm. Definitely would be referred to anyone inquiring about a job.
Provided me with an excellent learning experience
Support Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 26, 2018
What i learned at New Hanover Regional Medical Center is how to conduct myself with professionalism. I learned how to utilize my leadership skills and i learned a better way to prioritize my responsibilities.
Pros
Employee discounts
By the book
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 21, 2018
NHRMC is a huge hospital so everything is by the book giving a strict and robotic feeling. Day to day patient care is all about increasing ratings. Raises/pay do not take into perspective your level of education or overall how good of an employee you are- a terribley inefficient and incompetent employee that’s been around a while makes significantly more than me due to formula evaluations/ and simply being there more years. Even with the network wide pay raises I still hardly make enough to make ends meet. While my job requires a certification and stressful critical care components, this doesn’t matter because people delivering food make the same as I do. Management in my department is amazing and I love my coworkers. I can’t say the same for some of the departments I have been forced to float to. On that note, floating takes advantage of CNAs and forces us to sit for 12 hours with patients that often times do not require sitters, wasting my time, making the patient uncomfortable, and wasting money. I’ve asked to work the floor and was reluctantly allowed but as a pro at least it allowed me to learn about different patient types than my home unit. Positive aspects include great medical benefits, vision and dental, a cheap gym, food discounts in the cafeteria, 3 days a week full time, and a good additional to the resume saying I work at such a well known and accredited hospital.
Pros
Benefits, hours
Cons
Pay, policies, staffing, organization

Want to know more about New Hanover Regional Medical Center?

Ask a question
Assistant Manager-Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 18, 2018
It has been almost 11 years since I worked there. Great place to work. Very supportive staff and great benefits. Rewarding to be able to help patients
Low pay, high expectations
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 2, 2018
This hospital is great for a learning experience and the people you work beside are awesome. However, NHRMC pays nurses some of the worst rates in the nation. There is no opportunity for advancement and they consistently float you to other units you are unfamiliar with without giving you a choice. It's a poorly run institution that does not value their nurses.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Extremely low pay, floating and little opportunity
Amazing place to work.
Echocardiographer (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 2, 2018
Amazing place to work. The organization as a whole is always growing with creates ton of opportunities for advancements. Coworker are amazing, friendly and helpful.
Pros
Raises yearly
Cons
long drive from jacksonville.
Great Place to Work
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 27, 2018
Loved my job at NHRMC. I did mainly Kronos for Coastal Rehab and did all the administrative work for all the case managers. Loved to verify patients insurance to make sure they were in network before they were admitted. loved data entry for payments on patients accounts,
Pros
Always could make up missed time
Cons
great placd to work, liked having my own office and being able to come in on weekend to do Kronos if needed
nice
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 6, 2018
Nice place to work just need to appreciate staff more as hard as we work. Love working here but need a change of scenery and just would like to get out of Wilmington
Offers a very productive setting in which to learn.
Office & Call Center Associate (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCFebruary 12, 2018
Overall, NHRMC is an easy going organization with people who enjoy their jobs/careers. Like most industries, city/state/federal policies have a great impact on the way hospital executive team structures the facility operations.

The hardest part of the job is the rotation of shifts. While it can be a big help to allow flexibility for your needs, around holidays and summer months it can be difficult when employees want to spend quality time with family and friends.

The easiest part is simply having a job. The healthcare industry is pretty resilient. NHRMC has low turnover.
Pros
Rotating shift to allow flexibility
Cons
Working holidays a lot.
Overall Good
USA, Full-time (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCFebruary 6, 2018
I worked in many areas in the Network. Most were great!! I would recommend certain departments with amazing managers.The Network has great incentives and tuition reimbursement.
Benefits
Cons
Need more Nurses
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCFebruary 6, 2018
Overall a great place to work, great and friendly employees. CBL's are informative and one can learn a lot from it. Encourage continued education. Offer tuition assistance. Will advance from within first. Plenty of community discounts. Highly involved with the community. Hospital accreditations.
Pros
Always trying to improve for everyone such as staff, patients and visitors.
Cons
There is always room to improve which I feel NHRMC is doing. Can't think of one at this time
Fast pace , friendly work environment.
Endoscopy Technician (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 31, 2018
Its a great place to work . Good benefit and wages are good also.It gives you the opportunity to move around in different department and also further your education. I have learned several different procedures example Bronchoscopy and Endoscopy. The hardest/ saddest part of my job is when we find a tumer in a patient. Most enjoyable is meeting people and being able to take care of them.
I enjoy working at NHRMC
Administative Assistant (Current Employee) –  NHRMC Main CampusJanuary 24, 2018
I am thankful to work in this organization. I feel they truly care for their employees and the patients they serve. There are many different career options outside of nursing or physicians you can obtain at NHRMC.
Pros
Career advancement opportunities
Cons
parking can be difficult sometimes--better with the new parking deck