New Hanover Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

Low pay, high expectations
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 2, 2018
This hospital is great for a learning experience and the people you work beside are awesome. However, NHRMC pays nurses some of the worst rates in the nation. There is no opportunity for advancement and they consistently float you to other units you are unfamiliar with without giving you a choice. It's a poorly run institution that does not value their nurses.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Extremely low pay, floating and little opportunity
Amazing place to work.
Echocardiographer (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 2, 2018
Amazing place to work. The organization as a whole is always growing with creates ton of opportunities for advancements. Coworker are amazing, friendly and helpful.
Pros
Raises yearly
Cons
long drive from jacksonville.
Great Place to Work
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 27, 2018
Loved my job at NHRMC. I did mainly Kronos for Coastal Rehab and did all the administrative work for all the case managers. Loved to verify patients insurance to make sure they were in network before they were admitted. loved data entry for payments on patients accounts,
Pros
Always could make up missed time
Cons
great placd to work, liked having my own office and being able to come in on weekend to do Kronos if needed
nice
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 6, 2018
Nice place to work just need to appreciate staff more as hard as we work. Love working here but need a change of scenery and just would like to get out of Wilmington
Offers a very productive setting in which to learn.
Office & Call Center Associate (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCFebruary 12, 2018
Overall, NHRMC is an easy going organization with people who enjoy their jobs/careers. Like most industries, city/state/federal policies have a great impact on the way hospital executive team structures the facility operations.

The hardest part of the job is the rotation of shifts. While it can be a big help to allow flexibility for your needs, around holidays and summer months it can be difficult when employees want to spend quality time with family and friends.

The easiest part is simply having a job. The healthcare industry is pretty resilient. NHRMC has low turnover.
Pros
Rotating shift to allow flexibility
Cons
Working holidays a lot.
Overall Good
USA, Full-time (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCFebruary 6, 2018
I worked in many areas in the Network. Most were great!! I would recommend certain departments with amazing managers.The Network has great incentives and tuition reimbursement.
Benefits
Cons
Need more Nurses
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCFebruary 6, 2018
Overall a great place to work, great and friendly employees. CBL's are informative and one can learn a lot from it. Encourage continued education. Offer tuition assistance. Will advance from within first. Plenty of community discounts. Highly involved with the community. Hospital accreditations.
Pros
Always trying to improve for everyone such as staff, patients and visitors.
Cons
There is always room to improve which I feel NHRMC is doing. Can't think of one at this time
Fast pace , friendly work environment.
Endoscopy Technician (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 31, 2018
Its a great place to work . Good benefit and wages are good also.It gives you the opportunity to move around in different department and also further your education. I have learned several different procedures example Bronchoscopy and Endoscopy. The hardest/ saddest part of my job is when we find a tumer in a patient. Most enjoyable is meeting people and being able to take care of them.
I enjoy working at NHRMC
Administative Assistant (Current Employee) –  NHRMC Main CampusJanuary 24, 2018
I am thankful to work in this organization. I feel they truly care for their employees and the patients they serve. There are many different career options outside of nursing or physicians you can obtain at NHRMC.
Pros
Career advancement opportunities
Cons
parking can be difficult sometimes--better with the new parking deck
Hospital
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 22, 2018
Much like working at any hospital, very big community. Benefits were very good, thats the 1 thing I miss. Hard to advance in the area I was in though, which is why I left.
Review
Coordinator/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 8, 2018
The CEO wastes to much time on hospital SOCIAL Media rather than visiting nursing units to get a real feel for what's going on in the hospital.

No gratitude or appreciation given to employees that go "above and beyond" administration just expects it.

Staff are promoted on, popularity and who they know, not by education or qualifications.

I've worked in hospitals over 40years and this is the WORST!
Pros
Cant think of any.
Cons
Certified Nursing Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 4, 2018
Very competitive and a great learning experience in giving quality care. I learned a lot of different styles and techniques from the nurses that worked there.
Pros
Easy days at times
Cons
Hard days at times
Non professional management team
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 1, 2018
I worked in the laboratory from 2010 to 2012. Sense of humor was more important than sense of urgency. Work ethic was not valued as much as familiarity with management. Evaluations were tied to pay raises; we were told that they couldn't afford to pay the raises so they artificially lowered evaluations to save money across the board. My wife and I both left shortly after that evaluation period.
Lowest salary for MT nationwide @ $19.50 prior to shift differential.
Pros
Fast pace, high volume, challenging
Cons
Poor Management, understaffed, lowest pay for MT nationwide
Great Benefits and Pay
Cook (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 17, 2017
I enjoyed working for the hospital. The only downfall I had was working different shifts, and not being recognized after being promised a promotion in the dept.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Overtime
Cons
Management Changes, Lack of Communication
very fast paced
patient access tech (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 16, 2017
Really enjoyed working there, management was superior to any other compay I have ever worked at, team work, most enjoyable were the patients, everyone looked out for each other
Working Every Holiday
Medical Records Clerk/Epic System Commander (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 28, 2017
I worked most holidays the entire time I worked there and it didn't matter how hard I worked or how many jobs I applied for, there was never an opportunity for advancement. The people were great but the pay was not worth it and no opportunity for advancement.
Wonderful Co-worker
Records File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 17, 2017
All the people that I worked with were wonderful and good at their job. If you had a question they are willing to help. You always had the equipment and supplies you needed to complete your job
Pros
Great People
Cons
30 minute lunch
Great Hospital
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 7, 2017
I have worked at NHRMC for over a year and a half as a CNA. My coworkers are amazing and have become a second family to me which makes going into work worth it despite how hard working with psych patients can be. We are a team and NHRMC does a great job at encouraging this type of atmosphere. Management does it best to make sure staff needs are accommodated and scheduling needs are met. As a student they have done amazing working around my schedule and letting me pick up PRN. However, CNA's are not paid nearly as much as we should be given the workload and high acuity of patients we care for. It doesn't compare to other hospitals at all. The incentives the hospital provides such as $5 gym memberships and $100 visa gift cards for Christmas and a uniform voucher are the best though and they makes sure we are well taken care of and appreciated. The RN's are top notch, the doctors are great to work with and this helps the workplace environment a lot. Each year things get better. Just wish PRN staff could have PTO and some more minor versions of benefits.
Pros
Employee gym, pay roll deduction, strong teamwork enviornment.
Cons
Low hourly salary, understaffed, no PTO for PRN.
Healthcare
Labor Performance Improvement Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 5, 2017
Healthcare is changing so much, but that is true in any organization dealing with this issue. There tends to be some under the table agreements with who needs to be in open positions and sometimes positions are created for a certain individual. I just feel that it should be transparent; regardless of the outcome.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
can require long hours
Teamwork
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaNovember 5, 2017
The amount of work isn't a reflection on pay. The pay as a certified nursing assistant doesn't match the workload. The dietary aids
make more then CNA.
Pros
Meeting different people & teamwork
Cons
the pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Hanover Regional Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

New Hanover Regional Medical Center Reviews by Location