New Haven Public Schools Employee Reviews

fast paced
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 21, 2019
NO room for advancement and you rarely ever get raises. Paraprofessionals work in a fast paced environment and we have to make quick decisions. We work with a population that most people do not want to work/deal with.
Zero Accountability and Zero Communication
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 15, 2019
Everyone points the finger at everyone else. If you touch it, you own it, whether it is your job or not. Watch out for the bus that is going to run you over. When something goes wrong, Administration sticks their heads in the sand and find someone to blame, scapegoat. Communication comes from local newspapers, such as New Haven Independent and New Haven Register.
Benefits
Cons
Too much politics involved.
excellent school system
Teacher, Itinerant K-8 (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 29, 2019
A very dedicated team of professionals.
Everyone is 100% committed to the students, their individual educational needs, and family/community support.
This school district is awesome!
Pros
excellent staff
Cons
budetary constraints
I enjoyed serving our community
Staff Development (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 23, 2019
My typical day was multi-tasking on everything and anything at the moment. What I've learned was helping others. Which gave me great satisfaction. My hardest part of the job was when the lack of communication and information to accomplish the work. I enjoyed of the job was the interacting with my peers.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Respect
Paraprofessional/Tutor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 10, 2018
I had a wonderful experience working with a great staff and great leaders. It was a job that was fulfilling and rewarding.

I wish the parents were more involved but otherwise, great place to work.
Love the Students and Staff
School Psychologist (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 8, 2018
Opportunity for advancement and ability to give back to students in need drives me to work for this district! Great staff and students make it a great district to work in. Paid weekly and summer vacations are also a plus for a family oriented employee. Administrative policy need work, as in any large organization!
Pros
Diverse experience gained
Cons
High number of evaluagions
typical urban public school system
Substitute teacher for all grade levels (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 26, 2018
New Haven Public Schools generally try to do the best they can do in a challenging urban environment in a mid-sized American city. There are perhaps 30-40 schools in New Haven, and they vary widely in terms of school culture and in administrative challenges, so it's not really fair to make general statements about NHPS as a whole entity.
Large urban school district
STUDENT TEACHER INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 14, 2018
Fast paced, unexpected changes daliy, never enough resources..
Not enough sub so lesson plans disrupted by covering classes.
The individual school need to norm on the discipline and consequences so everyone is on the same page. Kids learn to play people off each other and find the loopholes, making it very difficult at times. However-
Loved the kids!
A rewarding place to work
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 5, 2018
Busy and rewarding place to work. A variety of assignments with various grade levels. Enjoyed all the locations and administration teams that I worked with.
Pros
Variety of assignment
Cons
Per diem, would like to be on permanent staff
Rewarding and fun job working with students
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 3, 2018
Working as a paraprofessional in the New Haven Public Schools System was very rewarding. Teaching and supporting students to be their best, academically, is a lot of fun. The pay isn't very competitive compared to other districts. However; the schools, students, staff, and community are such a pleasure to work with and made the whole experience worthwhile.
Pros
fun atmosphere, great co-workers, amazing students/families
Cons
non-competitive pay compared to other districts
New Haven Public Schools Review
Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ross WoodwardJuly 2, 2018
New Haven Public Schools was a nice location and physical environment. Most of the staff was very cooperative, kind and supportive. The hours were part time so I got no benefits. I did not like the lack of support that teachers got. The children were not disciplined and when I disciplined them the administration took the side of the children. They were afraid to challenge the parents on their lack of discipline because thy were afraid the parents would sue the school system. This interfered with my ability to teach effectively.
Pros
Great staff support
Cons
Horrible student discipline
Productive and fun with challenging moments
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 23, 2018
I love a challenge and working with children satisfies me. It is a pleasure to work with a community where we work together for the sake of the children. In addition to helping the children to develop in all domains, we also provide support to the families. There is a resource center that we collaborate to find additional help if need to. We work as a family and no matter what grade we provide the same attention and support to all.
Sub
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 6, 2018
As a sub you have to real benefits except being about to work with amazing children. You are able to encourage and leave a positive imprint with awesome kids.
excellent
Par (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 14, 2018
Great team work, being able to help children with special needs was an honor. I was able to work one on one with students or in groups in different settings.
performing arts magnet school with excellent resources
fifth-grade math and science teacher (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 1, 2018
students come from multiple districts to attend this performing arts magnet school. There seems to be a disproportionate amount of students from outside the New Haven school district. Despite this deficit, the school provides an outstanding opportunity for students to experience growth and development.
Pros
multifaceted and diverse opportunities for students
Cons
prep time somewhat limited
Enjoyable place to work
School Counselor (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 7, 2017
I truly enjoy my job as a School Counselor because it is very rewarding to work with students as well as to work with great colleagues. Each year I am learning more through Professional Development and developing positive rapport and relationships with my students on a daily basis. I have been very blessed to have great bosses each year that are professional and very approachable.
Pros
Working with diverse students
Cons
None at this time
Great schedule for parents
Substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 4, 2017
The school system is a great place for parents to work, but subbing is low pay. New Haven has many different schools to offer so there is a lot of variety with jobs.
Fun to work with children
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 4, 2017
This was my first assignment as a teacher and I learned to be flexible and patient. I learned that each child needed to be treated and encouraged differently.
Pros
Fun with kids
Cons
Little chaotic somtimes
It is good starting
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 26, 2017
It’s easier to get a job when you’re flexible, versus trying to find a particular position teaching a certain subject.However, the benefit is weak, students usually don't respect sub teachers
Exceptional job
ESL Tutor (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 4, 2017
This job has taught me patience and how to manage my time. I've learned how to change my way of thinking to help children understand the material. I've learned that everyone learns differently and it's okay to take a child one on one to make sure everyone understands the material handed to them. I've also began to understand that starting with the basics is the best way to reach success.