New Home Star Employee Reviews

Bizarre Work Culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  ColoradoApril 3, 2019
New Home Star sells you an amazing "career" when you start. There is extensive training in the beginning which was good, but completely unorganized. You'd have a schedule change at the last minute often, and end up sitting in model homes knowing nothing or what to be doing. Once you're out of training you are placed in a community, and if you haven't become a favorite it will be a poorly performing community, and you expect to not make any real money until at least 6-12 months later. Your first several paychecks will go towards your draw, so you need to have almost a years worth of living expenses saved in order to not go into debt. You're treated like a full time employee but get none of the benefits. You pay your own taxes, no time off, insurance, retirement, etc. If you do take time off your manager makes you feel lazy and like you're not doing enough. If you call in sick they question you and act as if you're lying. They do not care at all about work life balance so prepare your spouse, children, friends, family to expect you to put work before anything else. If you don't hit your sales goals you're paid less and made to feel like an absolute loser. CEO and upper management are brilliant and have created a good concept and mission, but lower level management is completely unqualified with no management experience whatsoever. The only way to advance is to be best buddies with your manager, which is much easier for men than women. Aside from that there are many after hours "meetings" and "team building events" that are really just an opportunity for half the team to get black  more... out drunk, and probably drive home, then get in trouble for it shortly after. Even events such as MENSA (mentoring program) turn into drinking marathons. Once you're on the outside of the popular circle you're basically done, and they'll make you feel outcasted until you're ready to quit.  less
Pros
Training
Cons
Poor management and toxic culture
Great company, if you are working for the right builder
New Home Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 13, 2019
Great company. Training is stellar. Your success will depend greatly on your director and your builder; which unfortunately, were both less than favorable for my particular situation. Love the business model and company culture. Excellent CEO.
Pros
company mission
Cons
no benefits
unproductive
Real Estate Agent (Former Employee) –  Port Charlotte, FLFebruary 6, 2019
Unproductive They advertise and tell you about training and the person supposed to be training you is still trying to do a full time position and you are kind of left hanging and just watching a lot.
Pros
draw on commission
Cons
Stressfull
although my time there was short, I HIGHLY recommend!!
Community Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2019
Although my time there was short, I HIGHLY recommend! I am older, I have been around the block in my career, I have been the trainee and I have been the trainer... and I can say the training program at New Home Star is incredible. It is an 8 week training program and you will be paid during this time enough to survive. The culture is like nothing you have ever seen. Non-stop motivation. There are no benefits but there is a great chance you can make enough money to take care of those things yourself if you are in the right community. It was early on in the Houston venture when I went with them in 2017. I was placed in a community after training that was tough to sell (new to Texas builder, well known competition all around and all we had to really show was our model and spec or two at that time) there was NOT enough business for two of us to be there and fight each other for leads, they would have worked that out eventually but I had to cut and run to go with a big builder. Neither my partner or I could logistically go to another location in the Houston area and I could not afford to be there with a partner any longer. They have since opened another community in my part of town so there is now enough to go around. I am grateful for my time there and I highly recommend. I can't say enough about the training and support of your co-workers around the Country. They take their way of doing things very seriously. The wonderful quality builder in Houston NHS was working for was JUST about to blow up into a few more great communities and the VP of that Builder was already highly  more... respected in the industry. I think the draw system after training and commission are about average, (not great\not bad) compared to other builders but the potential is there and what you will learn if you are willing is worth it. It is possible to do great there.. it just did not work out for me :( DEFINITELY talk to them!!!  less
Pros
training, culture, motivation
Cons
you will need to get your own benefits, at the time there were some growing pains in Houston but I am sure it is MUCH more organized now.
Poor Pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2019
This company has a contract with developers for 5 percent but only pays the sells team 1 percent or less.
They are robbing developers and using people.
Pros
Cons
Hires only young people that do not need benefits.
Solid
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 25, 2018
This is a great place to work, with a great team and lots of support. Great pay when you are selling, and there to cushion you (for a few months time) if you struggle. Fantastic mission and vision. Unbelievable training - I wish I had known this stuff at every sales job I worked before this. I would've been that much better. Amazing employee portal for learning and interacting with cohorts around the nation.
Pros
training, team support, recognition for performance
Cons
no benefits
Has all the best intentions yet still falls short
New Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 25, 2018
Disappointing! The concept on paper is AMAZING yet the execution on follow through will leave you looking for other opportunities. After moving on I can finally exhale and am ready to shed some light on my personal experience. The managers either over manage or under manage. Future potential is very likely. Possibly just growing pains. If you flourish in an environment that is organized and has consistent systems in place this may not be the best fit for you at this time. Certainly not a horrible company to work for but it definitely has some challenges so if you have the patience to deal with inconsistencies it could be worth it in the big picture.I clearly lacked patience as time equates to money. This company has all the best intentions yet still falls short.
Pros
On-line training resources are next level. Sales kick off trip in Cancun.
Cons
No benefits, micro-managers, unorganized which creates a frustrating environment, pay is below the industry standards.
Rewarding, fast paced, family environment with GREAT people!
Community Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 6, 2018
I have been with New Home Star for 3 years now and I have no intention of leaving this great company. They treat you like you are a part of the family. It is a very humble and generous company with unlimited possibilities for growth and advancement.
All that glitters ain’t gold
Community manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoMarch 11, 2018
A very cheap sales like atmosphere. Management is unprofessional, very clique-ish, they create a “cut throat” sales environment. You work like an employee but get paid as an independent contractor. No benefits, No paid time off, No 401k.
Constantly will tell you one thing then do another. Poor management, no communication. Overall Not a good company, you will feel like a number to them. The miraculous training is not all that great, basically they are just trying to reinvent the wheel. Those other 4+ reviews are probably from their staff. Just beware before you waste your time, & energy into a company that isn’t what it appears to be.
Pros
Cons
Unprofessional company culture
Room for growth
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston TexasJanuary 24, 2018
Great training, its unmatched and there is nothing like it. Downfall is the pay right now and direct management. No one is a fan of drama, having to watch your back every second of the day afraid someone is about to stab you. As a team we should build each other up not try to tear one another down so they fall.
Pros
Career placement
Cons
Competitive associates, poor management
I truly got lucky finding this company!
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILDecember 8, 2017
I have been working here for almost a year now and have really found that I have stumbled upon a diamond here. I started as an intern and now being full-time for a while, I can attest to how great this company is. First off, their training is top-notch. Between the growth I've seen from sales associates to directors, to my own corporate office, we're improving ourselves every single day. One of their biggest pushes is for your career path at this company and giving you the room to grow and take initiative. If you are willing to work hard for it, you WILL succeed! You would think this makes them super competitive - but it's one of the most collaborative environments I've worked in! The people are great here and are very inclusive and kind. I really feel appreciated here and enjoy coming to work everyday because of that. They are also very down to earth while they are sky-rocketing into this industry. I am blessed to have found New Home Star
Pros
open-floor office, friendly, ambitious, young, free lunch, collaborative environment, personal development, events
Amazing company with amazing leaders
Community Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Upstate South CarolinaDecember 7, 2017
This company is hands down the best company I have EVER had the PRIVLEDGE of working for. Everyone truly cares about you, and cares about your growth.
Pros
Carreer groth and develpoment, the best training in the industry
Cons
No benifits, however the pay makes up for it
Best Culture in New Home Sales!
Sales Associate/Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 8, 2017
This company has taken me from 0 to 100 and allowed me the success and financial freedom I've only ever dreamt about! From the culture and 24/7 support to the advancement opportunities, this company is second to none. I am 28 and can confidently say I will retire with this company
Ra Ra sis boom BLAH
Sales (Current Employee) –  VariousJanuary 20, 2017
If you are looking to join this organization I would highly recommend you seek out and talk to some of the people that are no longer there to get a honest evaluation of the local management and builder in your area. Plan on being treated like an employee but paid as an independent contractor (no taxes taken out, no benefits, no vacation pay, no 401k). If you become a successful sales person with the company your reward is to have another agent put into your community and your sales volume gets cut in half because you now have to "share".

Also- the builder partner and company are notorious for moving people around without notice- sometimes requiring people to drive to communities that are over an hour away without asking if this would cause undue hardship. And remember, because you are an independent contractor they won't pay for your fuel or mileage.

The "training" is nothing revolutionary! They have taken sales training bits and pieces from here and there and put it together in a neat little book and called it their own.

Just do some research and talk to people before you "drink the kool-aid". Any full 5 star review you read will have been completed by people at the corporate office or by people that have been asked to write a good review on behalf of the company.
Pros
the "potential" for big money
Cons
no benefits, broken promises
Best Career Choice for hard workers who enjoy constant growth
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCJuly 26, 2016
Joining NHS has been the best decision of my life. Ironically, I didn't know just how great a company it was until after I joined up. The first thing the blew me away was how down to earth the management was--no airs of superiority, just good people who truly want to help others. As I began my training, I realized our shared values for a love a learning--and all types of learning. Individual growth through hard work is highly rewarded.
Pros
Self-Management
Cons
No benefits
expert sales team
Sales/office coordinator and assistant (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 17, 2016
the training for selling homes in real estate is amazing with great leaders for a team. I would highly recommend it to others who are looking to be an agent.
Pros
great pay
Cons
no benefits
A Revolutionary Company
HR Intern (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 15, 2014
New Home Star is a state-of-the-art company whose investment in its employees leads to extraordinary results. The company is constantly growing, and it never forgets to take care of those who help to propel the company forward. The culture is made up of open communication and a productive atmosphere, and the vision of the company, "to be the best sales team in the world", motivates all of the employees and unites them under one cause. The founder of the company knows each of the employees, and makes you feel welcome as soon as you are on board. Never before have I worked for a place like this where I am excited to head in to work each day.
Super Stars are Born Here and Thrive
Regional Leadership (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SC and Atlanta, GaNovember 21, 2014
You are in control of your future. This is a company where there is no ceiling to how far you may go. Your personal growth and success is always up to you but at New Home Star you have a team of highly experienced and driven leaders in every position cheering for you, supporting your efforts and recognizing your success. Everyone at New Home Star understands the importance of MOPFI - Making Other People Feel Important. It is no wonder that super stars are born here.
Pros
Growth and Opportunity
Internship- Personal Development
Intern at New Home Star (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, IllinoisFebruary 24, 2014
I started working as an intern for New Home Star as a junior in college and I am currently still working for the company heading into my last few months in college. I have to say that the experience I have had so far has been excellent! I started off as a marketing intern, developing marketing strategies to improve traffic to the company and assisting with in house projects for our sales teams. Each project involved creative thinking and collaboration to provide the best solution as possible. I have helped with many different forms of marketing, even becoming involved as a project manager for one marketing project. I have learned so much from this company and have enjoyed every minute of it. The culture that was created is tremendous and makes me want to come to work everyday. It is a great environment that allows people to work efficiently while having fun at the same time. For the past year I have worked hard and have been rewarded with good support and an opportunity to move up with the company. Now that I am almost graduated from college, I have been given the opportunity to accept a full time job with New Home Star. What started out as an internship in college, turned out to be a great fit with a full time job! This company has taught me how to be effective in the New Home Building industry while balancing different projects and school. I am very pleased with the opportunities that New Home Star has given me and I am excited to be working with the company in the future!
Pros
excellent work environment, good pay, free lunches
Productive and Free Thinking Work Enviornment
Marketing Internship (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILApril 22, 2013
Typical work day consisted of assisting the marketing manager execute marketing plan

While there I learned how to cold call, “buy a car”, research the housing market, come up with marketing ideas, use Excel and Google Drive, and use social media as a marketing tool.

Management was great

Best part of the job was learning and developing new skills