New Horizon Academy Employee Reviews

nope.
Substitute Aide Float (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNMay 30, 2019
The pay isnt worth the stress and the under appreciation from everyone around you. You arent necessarily guaranteed hours either. You could work your scheduled 40 hours or 32 minutes. never know.
Very productive days with loving families
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 24, 2019
This job had stolen my heart. The environment was clean, sanitary, and positive. My coworkers and my employers were very supportive and loving of everyone, including the families. I have never felt like my job was my second home until I started working here. This job comes with a lot of stressful times, but a lot of cherish able moments as well. I am extremely sad that I had to leave because of my location. If I could, I would be back there in a heart beat.
Great place, nice people, low pay, but the best place i have worked in Early Childhood Education....
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNMay 23, 2019
This job is not for everyone. I loved the way the classrooms were set up, and that the focus was always on the kids. Managers are very flexible and it is a super fun place to work, but the pay is still way too low for the enormous amount of work you will do each day. It isn't enough to pay my rent, and it is a struggle to take care of little ones without the means to take care of yourself.
Pros
Childcare discount
Cons
Low pay, very small raises
Fun,Fun, Fun
Teacher Assistant/Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMay 12, 2019
My role was to work alongside the teachers. I built a strong relationship with the children which was really special for me because kids can take a while to like you. I was the teacher that stayed till the end if the day so I got to meet the parents which was pretty cool!
Pros
Hour breaks, close to alot if food places
Cons
Room for improvement
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNApril 30, 2019
Although working with kids can be a joy, lack of management support can make it hard. Teachers are left overwhelmed with lack of helpful coworkers. Management hires just about anyone.
Poor management/ lack of leadership
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNApril 11, 2019
Not every center lacks the leadership that the center at 3M does. The director and asst director switch roles all the time, you can’t tell who is who because they are not on the same page at times. One day it’ll be this the other day it’ll be that. There’s no structure or rules. Some employees think they can do whatever they want and there are no consequences. Theres a lack of discipline and care for their employees. They work you to death and don’t give any support to their teachers. They tell you one thing when they are hiring you but do the opposite when you are on the team. Most of all they don’t know what they are doing. They care more about numbers (enrollment) then providing support to their teachers and hiring more staff. Please stop enrolling children if you have no staff and making teachers be in a room over ratio and wanting to run out the door.
Pros
Some benefits, being lucky to have a great co teacher
Cons
Not a care in the world for their teachers, understaffed, underpaid, no help with children in classroom, stressful environment.
An okay place to work
Behavioral Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 8, 2019
It was a very fast paced place to work, clients were somewhat difficult to deal with at times. Other than that management was great and would hear you out if you had something to say.
Children make it worth it
Lead Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNMarch 23, 2019
The job itself is decent. You get to work with children and spend time ensuring they are safe, learning, and happy each day. However, management is never present, employees come and go often, and being told "thank you" for ALL of the hard work you do every day is sadly nonexistent.
Pros
Children
Cons
Pay, management, constant gossip
Great Enviroment
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MN 55345March 4, 2019
New Horizon had a great work environment, easy to work with coworkers. 10 hr days made it work it because you only worked 4 days out of the week. Only downside to this job was in order to get a decent pay you had to have some sort of degree in Early Childhood Education.
NHA is such an amazing uplifting place to work and treats their employees fairly, and with love.
Manager- Desiree Culhane (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNFebruary 5, 2019
NHA was voted top 100 places to work by Star Tribune and my center won Center of Excellence in 2018. I would recommend it to anyone looking to get into childcare.
Pros
Caring flexible and generous
Cons
Sheduling sometimes if under staffed
Not very organized
Aide (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNFebruary 4, 2019
The job itself is a job I enjoy but the lack of organization and cleanliness of the places throws you off and it becomes very stressful and I think childcare is a job that should pay more than 10 dollars an hour so it’s just not worth it for me although it may work for students and part time
hit or miss
INFANT TEACHER (Former Employee) –  MNJanuary 29, 2019
it was a really fun place to work then we got new management who were biased on only some people's opinions. Favoritism was all too apparent and the people doing all the work never got credit. when I started at that location I loved it because the manager was fair and treated everyone equally. one of the reasons I ended up leaving was the unequal treatment from the new management especially since I knew how great the center could be when everyone is treated fairly. I will miss the relationships I formed with the children and playing with them was definitely the most enjoyable part of my day.
co workers
Pre-K Teacher (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNJanuary 4, 2019
my coworkers were an amazing team. They just needed a strong leader and didn't have that. It's extremely hard to find directors who are willing to stay at a location for the pay that they offer. The teachers are awesome, but also underpaid.
Pros
creativity
Cons
pay
had fun
Teacher Aid (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 31, 2018
the kids are wonderful. i was told i am not suppose to work by myself because it was against policy... but guess who worked alone and pregnant. this job was stressful but kids are sometimes ... i suspected stress.. come in here know what u should i'll go back tho easy money for me
Pros
breaks
Cons
no pregnancy leave pay
Great job
Toddlers Aide (Former Employee) –  Columbia Heights, MNDecember 11, 2018
Loved working with the kids & being able to teach them things . The managers and employees are great loved working here . Best part about working here was being able to see my little munchkin through out the day because she was a student here as well
Fun and lively work place
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNNovember 30, 2018
Working here is a blast! You get to meet so many wonderful families and the staff is amazing. The manager was always willing to accommodate to my needs and schedule.
Co-teacher and kids were the best part, management refuses to correct problems in the workplace because the director doesn’t like confrontation.
Toddler Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNNovember 13, 2018
I loved how I was able to make such great connections with my co-teacher and the kids and their parents. It was amazing to see them enter my room as a 16 month old and transition into the next room at 24 months and be such a different toddler. They are sponges and it was so heartwarming to see that I had made a difference.
Pros
Great co-teacher, fun classroom activities
Cons
Hours cut on time stamps by management.
consistant curriculum
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 25, 2018
You will work hard here, but the families and students are amazing. There is a standard classroom curriculum to support students and creates consistency between levels.
The students are what makes the job worthy. You cannot help but love them and desire to be apart of helping them improve their lives.
Classroom Lead - Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Wauseon, OHOctober 24, 2018
The days are always different, however there is always a focus on meeting IEP objectives and taking documentation. I have learned the importance of respecting these individuals' work ethic while simultaneously pushing them a little bit to become better and more than their disability. The management would benefit from listening to their staff more. The administration takes into account their bodies when they say that for every 2 kids there is 1 staff member, however, they are not available nor as hands-on as the staff that are always residing in the classrooms with the students. The workplace culture is challenging due to the behaviors of some students and the emphasis on pushing the students to meet their goals. It can be stressful when a student believes that they do not have to perform a task simply because they do not want to do it. The hardest part of the job is the outside work. There are not enough hours in the day for all the work that is required to be completed. There are not enough hands to help complete the work either.The studetns are the moset enjoyable part. They have the best personalities and attributes.
Kiss the brain!
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNOctober 23, 2018
Working at New Horizon Academy was a fantastic experience and a position I miss having.

As an Assistant Director I held lots of responsibility running a center and creating a motivated team within my staff.

The workplace was a great environment and I truly enjoyed going to work, it was like family.

The hardest part of the job was leaving it behind for a new adventure.

The most enjoyable was the love and laughter that was shared between the teachers and the kids.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Horizon Academy. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight