New Horizon Counseling Center Employee Reviews

The agency is poor
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  East Elmhurst, NYApril 18, 2019
Working for NH is not advised.
Management is only concerned with the numbers not the clients.
They use intimation as a way to reach the numbers they want.
They offer no employee support. The case loads only increase .
The turnover is constant and will continue as long as they are
sole driven my money.
The managers were click and nasty.
Stay clear of this agency.
Pros
Holiday party was good
Cons
low pay, no lunch, no supervision
Good to get your foot in the door bad at everything else
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 10, 2019
The work is thrown on the Care Coordinator due to lack of training on from the Intake team who only care about getting as many enrolled clients. Clients are enrolled wanting housing, making it stressful to actually assess their needs and helping them the way we are "trained". Management care about lining their pockets. Its called Salary but they track hours and do not offer any bonuses or OT.
Underpaid roles, no consistent guidelines.
Pros
Foot in the door
Friendly Environment
Unit Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 29, 2019
Everyone here is pretty friendly. It’s a team friendly environment. Supervisors tend to their teams’ needs. Flexible hours, and room for growth. The hiring process is pretty long so it can be stressful to wait for a start date.
Pros
Room for growth, management looks out for staff
Cons
Expensive benefits, long hiring process
Good starter job
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ozone Park, NYMarch 28, 2019
The case load isn't so bad, I get to travel and help those in need. Great starter job for my field, I am learning as much as I can about benefits needed to assist people.
I've grown so much with this agency
Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYMarch 28, 2019
Overall, I would have to say that I have been grateful to touch so many departments in this agency. In my time with the agency I've been supported by my team and feel that I've been given the opportunity to grow. I would recommend anyone who has a go-getter type of attitude and is willing to put in the effort. No job is perfect, there are stressful days but we stand behind an important mission. I enjoy what I do and my clients.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Better Medical/Dental Benefits rates
Great place to start and get experience
Phone Specialist (Current Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYMarch 26, 2019
Working for New Horizon is great. The bosses are friendly and do not micromanage. The work environment is friendly and feels like family. I would recommend working here and getting your feet wet. Great place to learn and take that experience with you.
Pros
30 minute paid lunch, Paid major holidays, PTO accumulates fast.
Cons
Healthcare is expensive, but you can always get your own.
Works for me!
Administrative Support - Care Coordination (Current Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYMarch 26, 2019
Over all, I’m very happy with the workplace. You meet good people who are all drive by the same good mission. They are fun, energetic and super friendly. I find my team very supportive and have found that I am constantly learning. No two days are alike. It can be a very fast paced - crazy (good crazy) workplace. That being said I feel my hard work pays off, I feel recognized for my efforts.
Pros
Can use work experience to build resume.
Cons
Hiring process took long due to background check.
Not a positive experience.
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYFebruary 13, 2019
I worked as a therapist and the experience was very demoralizing. I saw the other reviews before hire and thought I'd take the risk besides the negative reviews. Big mistake. Like other reviewers have said...workplace culture..they only care about numbers, and use intimidation tactics to get you to complete work.They're always hiring...and like myself, they quickly contacted me back like other commentors have said because the turn over rate is very high because of the hostile work environment. If you have some self respect...dont work here.
Pros
New clinic
Cons
Low pay, no adequate health insurance, high turnover rate
Good place to start but no room for growth in organization
N/A (Current Employee) –  Rather not sayFebruary 9, 2019
Good place to start and get your feet wet as entry level job but no room for advancement. Management does not micromanage, depending on what supervisor you get, but you do feel eyes on your back at all times. They give you unrealistic due dates on projects and expect a miracle instead of working alongside staff to ensure dates are met. Work culture is poor. Seems like a high school at times as management will often times be upset at staff and instead of talking about mistakes and how to fix, they will start shouting about how upset they are at you to other staff.
Pros
Holiday party is really nice.
Cons
No room for growth, management not supportive, no open door policy
not a good place to work
Psychotherapist (Former Employee) –  Valley Stream, NYJanuary 27, 2019
difficult work enviornment, frequent turnover and frequent clinic wide threats from administration make this a hostile work environment. i reccomend that any new therapist steer clear of this place. huge risks of burnout and compassion fatigue here. this place treats psychotherapy like its a used car dealership. high volume, low support
Pros
good vacation time
Cons
low pay, low support, high turnover, hostile administration, unethical practices
New Horizon Counseling Agency is a place to be inspired to achieve your personal goals. There are no advancements seen thus far.
Mental Health Professional (Current Employee) –  Ruston, LAJanuary 5, 2019
The owner is very motivated to achieve your own goals and the agencies goals. The owner can be self-center yet inspiring in words yet actions are different. Do what you are hired to perform.
It was a fun and family oriented work environment.
Hospital Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Valley Stream, NY 11580December 26, 2018
The experience I had with New Horizon was a very pleasant one. The only reason I had to leave was because I moved out of state. The Owners are extremely pleasant and very attentive. The work environment altough it's a fast paced clinic, was well balanced with an amazing team. We always worked together no matter the scenario to make sure everyone got the service they needed.
Stressful Job
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYNovember 28, 2018
I like the flexibility is great; however the stress and the confusion is not worth it. They over load you with over 50 clients and then you have to chase them for services. There are individuals that really need services; however the agency does not provide proper services to those individuals because they are concerned about chasing the money when there are more then enough people that do actually need the services. Part of the reason that the CC are chasing individuals down for services is because the enrollment coord are not properly vetting the clients.
Scam Artist
Crisis Counselor (Former Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYNovember 16, 2018
Not much to say about them. They were very deceitful and could not be trusted. They were the only organization in the program (Project Hope) that paid us less, and gave us no benefits and never compensated us for transportation. They made excuses every day and paid some people on certain days, and fired some because they found out. It's a big scam and I stopped having anxiety the day I walked out of there.
Home health aide (Former Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYOctober 8, 2018
assisting my patient with everyday routines that they wouldn't be able to do on their own. Assisting my patient with medications , cooking breakfast and lunch providing them with a safe living environment.
Front Desk Clerk (Externship) (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 25, 2018
Day to Day scheduling patients appointments verifying patients insurance. signing patients in-out. This job was only for about two months because it was Externship.
Tough job but at least I got a job!
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  CDTPSeptember 13, 2018
I came in desperate for work and experience after graduating with my MS in MHC. No one else would hire me due to lack of experience and my youthful appearance. I was given the opportunity to acquire experience, was presented with opportunities to advance my career, was given decent supervision and learned how the nonprofit mental health system operates. Workers here are exposed to many different things and if you absorb knowledge like a sponge you can use this to your advantage. Unfortunately this isn't designed to be a long term job due to many factors such as (claimed) limited nonprofit funds and a high frequency business model. The workload is rough and the pay is mediocre but I did enjoy the 3 weeks of paid vacation, 10 paid holidays (the day program is open year round) and 5 paid sick days. This is an incredible amount of PTO.
Pros
They will hire you, Pto
Cons
Rough work load, low paying.
Great work and life balance
Employee (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 8, 2018
Great work/life balance.

Management who really care and want to see their employees careers evolve and grow.

Fast pace enviornment where no two days are the same.

Agency continues to grow every year
Beware this company is a nightmare
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYSeptember 7, 2018
This is the worst company that I have ever worked for!!!! This company is all about the numbers they do not care about the clients or their employees
Pros
Co workers are great
Cons
Everything especially management
Worst Company I've ever worked for (and it's not even close)
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 7, 2018
If you are considering working for New Horizon Counseling Center, think again. Don't be fooled by the fact that they reach out to you quickly and dangle the carrot (salary) in front of you. They are desperate for long term employees because they treat all of their current ones like garbage. They act like slave drivers and crack the whip for numbers and have no regard for the clients (or the workers). They don't pay well or close to competitive wages. The only enjoyable part of the job is the clients. That's the only thing that keeps anyone coming in.
Pros
It's a Job
Cons
Low Pay, Horrible Management, Unethical, a Disaster

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Horizon Counseling Center. Our community is ready to answer.

New Horizon Counseling Center Reviews by Location