New Jersey City University Employee Reviews

Simple and Flexible
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJDecember 9, 2018
The most you have to deal with is issues with printing at the computer lab at NJCU. Other than that the superiors will teach you what you need to know and help you if you need it. You can learn many things while on the job if you just ask and pay attention. You can do your homework if things are slow and you have a maximum of 15 hours. All you need to do on a regular day is deal with calls, help people print, refill printer and staplers, provide assistance to anyone who needs it and help professors if they need help in the classroom. You may also set up equipment in rooms that may need it. The equipment we commonly set up are projectors, clickers, laptops, and speakers. The management is great, supportive and friendly.
Depends on which department one works in.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 1, 2019
I worked in the Media Arts Dept., and the Chairman, faculty and staff were of the highest caliber. I would not hesitate to recommend the Media Arts Dept to anyone to work in.
Pros
See review.
Cons
Other departments are consumed with politics, the Dean and Provost are problematic personages, much consternation among other department chairs and staff, faculty recently gave a vote of no confidence for the Dean
Senior Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJDecember 17, 2018
Management provides mentorship, throwing promotions and advancement your way every chance they get. Staff very collaborative and high interest in the students. Great culture and attitude towards growth, community and academics.
Pros
campus is beautiful, shuttle to lots
Cons
no discounts on meals or school merch
Office Aide (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 26, 2018
Working at New Jersey City University as a work-study student for a semester was pleasant and rewarding. It allowed me to go to school and work at the same time and gain experience in clerical and receptionist work I never had. The environment I worked in was very friendly and pleasant. Working in an environment like that made you want to come to work everyday without fear of how people would treat you.
Pros
Friendly place, weekends off.
Cons
Wasn't long term
Place stinks stay away
Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 3, 2019
Place stinks. Horrible people. Place brings your down. People leave everyday. Place is a total joke. Worst college in NJ. Place totally stinks. Worst school in NJ. People are trash. Students are the low class and horrible.
Pros
Cons
Horrible stuff
Njcu
Technical Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJOctober 16, 2018
NJCU is a great place to work with wonderful people and students.
I have grown professionally here by leaps and bounds. It is a college so always something going on.The hardest part is the commute
Pros
Great work atmosphere
Cons
Distance from home
Amazing Job, hope for better upper management.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJAugust 13, 2018
My direct supervisor was amazing, truly allowed us to do our own thing and manage our students how we wanted. Great work environment, but no benefits unfortunately since it was a contracted job.
Pros
Free Lunch, Great Work Envrionment, Friendly
Cons
No Benefits w/ Contracted Jobs
Fun and educational workplace
Lab Manager (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 19, 2018
Working in the lab makes me feel happy. Everyday I train students and perform cool experiments. After working here over a year, I have learned many techniques and have dealt with high scientific equipment. The workplace is always nice because we effectively communicate with everyone. The most enjoyable part of the job is that we maintain good work ethic and good teamwork.
Good
Piano and Music professor (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJOctober 10, 2018
It is a very good campus to work. People are friendly and welcoming to new people. There are diverse races. Job environment is relaxed. If you need helps, there are lots of different department and resources to get helps.
Overall good learning experience
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJDecember 8, 2018
I experience good and bad in this position. The position you have really determines the pace which provided me with a well rounded time at this institution.
Typical
ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 7, 2018
Working here was awesome, I loved helping the student who called me on the phone. I gained a lot of insight and knowledge on a daily basis. This job helped me with time management skills and interpersonal skills. I would recommend anyone work here if they would like growth and helping others.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Great work enviornment
Supplemental Instructor Leader (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 13, 2018
My manager was always available for questions if we weren't sure about a certain task. Everyone was friendly and was able to work as a team on certain tasks. The hardest part of the job was trying to get everything done on time. The most enjoyable part was being able to meet new people who were a joy to be around.
Fun and Productive workplace
Staffing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 28, 2018
Great company to work for. Love Higher education. Good employees, good staff, highly motivated managers. I would love to work for another university and bring the experience I had to them from New Jersey City University.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Great employees
An enjoyable experience that will be missed
University Service Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJApril 27, 2018
Working at NJCU has helped me learn a lot about the different people that I had to interact with within the office. Creating documents for students was a task, but hard work does pay off. It was like working with family and I appreciate what the company has done for me and what I am about to accomplish in the upcoming future.
Excellent Opportunity
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 7, 2018
Excellent opportunity to enhance potential from an adjunct position to a full-time position as a college professor while creating an experience background with teaching technologies.
Pros
Close to Home
Cons
Adjunct position - Seeking a tenured track position
Flexible work place with faculty
Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 18, 2018
Workplace culture is not very fun. simple issues with students and faculty. Staff can be very strict with everything you do. IT department doesn't get much respect here.
NJCU is a good place to work.
Professor (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 5, 2018
I enjoy teaching the college psychology courses and would like to rejoin the faculty at NJCU. The chairperson I worked for (for 26 years) was very respectful and professional.
Lots of autonomy regarding teaching experience & collaborative!
Professor of Fitness, Exercise and Sports (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMarch 9, 2018
Despite working only part time, NJCU is always offering a variety of roles in which both full time and part time faculty can become more involved with the functions of the university. As Professor of Fitness, Exercise and Sports, I have had the chance to promote my fitness courses through Open Day, Multicultural Events and covering other faculty member's classes!!!

Unless Assistant Professor, it is challenging to move up the ladder, however, the pay per course for 3 credits is not bad and you still have time to focus on your full time job or career!

Students are great and other faculty/staff are very friendly!
Pros
Flexibity
Cons
Growth
Challenging but fun
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJ 07305June 19, 2018
Working with a residential community is very challenging. New students every year, but you really get to expand yourself throughout the campus. Planning events is a requirement.
intership
Cancer & Stem Cell Research Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 16, 2018
While interning at NJCU I practiced and sharpened my skills in the following:
Basic computer skills