New Jersey Courts

New Jersey Courts Employee Reviews

United States160 reviews

judiciaryjudgejerseyjudicialclerklegallawattorney

It’s a fun job, not too stressful if you’re in the right location. Some offices are better/more adequately staffed than others for whatever reason. Do some research, ask how many cases per officer. Anything above 200-250 is trouble

Good environment

Lovely people to work with. Well run offices. Some temporary positions that help you get permanent opportunities. Good holiday schedule. Good benefits.

New Jersey Courts insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Great

Great would recommend the experience to anyone who’s seeking to get hands on experience in the courts especially learning first hand from a judge and the entire judiciary itself. It’s truly an opportunity that secures your foundation in your critical thinking skills as well as legal writing and analysis.

Essex Vicinage- Finance Division

The mangers are very cliquish and retaliatory. They spend a lot of their time plotting how to make people miserable and to get them to quit if they do not like you. This is my first experience working at the government sector and Essex county was the wrong county to start but I quickly ran back to the private sector

Professional staff and great place to work

Plenty of opportunities for advancement..Hybrid work schedules of 2 days a week. Pretty good benefits, pension, retirement plan. 1 hour lunch and two 15 min breaks.

Monotonous work with a great mentor

Working as a judicial clerk in the Superior Court was a position I thought was a bit mundane at the time, but in retrospect was an enjoyable position. Given the nature of General Equity Court, 90% of the work assigned was work I had seen before, and work I would see again, but that was more of a benefit since the position lasts only a year and you more or less had an idea of what each day would be like while you were commuting to work.I also worked for a wonderful Judge, which I was very grateful for. She was incredibly intelligent, direct in what she expected of me, and very kind in any corrections she made (to put it lightly). She was genuinely nice to be around, and had I been worked under a different Judge, my experience would have been completely different. The key to enjoying your clerkship and getting the best out of the experience hinges on your relationship with which Judge you work for!

Pros

Mentorship, few surprises

Cons

Could be incredibly boring at times, though the lack of surprises is nice to look back on.

Nice and consistent

Great benefits and work hours. Love having 2 remote days and all holidays paid. I feel like I have plenty of vacation and sick time to use. Room for growth within as long as you are willing to put in the work and have the drive to grow. Management can be hit or miss, though that’s everywhere.

Great Work Environment

Work hours 830-400p, weekends off, two remote days a week, holidays off, 14 vacation days, 14 sick days, 3 admin days every year. Also free trainings that will keep my certification in tact.

Great Clerkship Experience

It is a great experience to clerk for a judge after graduation from the law school. You can get hands-on legal experience in the court room setting while get to know other judges, other law clerks, other judiciary employees, and attorneys.

Outstanding Workplace

I’ve had an excellent experience during my clerkship. I have learned so much from observing court everyday as well as reading briefs and writing memos.

Good learning experience

being a law clerk is the best year of a young attorney's career. not only did I learn so much from the judge and court staff, I was able to network with numerous attorneys right after law school.

Pros

Learning/ networking

Great Place to Work

Great place to work, job security, everyone is generally very supportive of one another. There is good work/life balance. There is a cafeteria in the Trenton office.

Pros

Job Security, Regular Pay Raises, Work/Life Balance

Cons

None that I can think of

Safe environment and good co-workers.

Safe environment and good co-workers. Administrative, clerical, customer service and support duties. Management was helpful but low pay for the job itself.

Intern

I was an internship that was unpaid. Overall, it was a good experience. I was able to gain more knowledge and skills in my field that I can potentially take to my future career.

Excellent benefits. Great work environment. There are many opportunities for advancement. The judiciary also provides many employee trainings to improve employee skills.

Productive and fair place to work

Excellent place to work. Great experience right out of law school and hopefully opening up many doors for a successful legal career in the great state of New Jersey.

Excellent learning experience for new lawyer

Serving as a law clerk provides an excellent learning experience to grow your career, while learning alongside Judges who are the best in the industry.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Compensation

Great

Great Pay and overall great work culture. I enjoyed my time working there, espeically the work hours and the great benefits the Courts offer, such as PTO.

Appellate Law Clerk

Serving as a law clerk for the appellate division has been a unique and memorable experience directly out of law school. It is a phenomenal opportunity to build on your research and writing skills, while learning the ins and outs of the NJ court system.

Pros

Strengthen Skills

Cons

Pay

It's a great job if you can get one.

The NJ Courts is a great place to work. I've been here fifteen years, and it meets all my expectations for support, exciting opportunities, and a wonderful environment.

Pros

Everybody working here is a professional.

Cons

There are no cons working here. Seriously, If you can live on the paycheck, it's a great place to work.

Very good company. Management looks out for you, they do not overwork you. They ensure you know what you do before putting you out on your own, Great management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Jersey Courts. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits