NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE AUTHORITY Employee Reviews

A good student part-time job.
Toll Collector (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJMarch 18, 2019
I learned the NJTA policies, work as a team, manage different situations with patrons or customers and basic cashiers skills. It was hard to work in very cold and hot days. I got stocked during snow storms.
Pros
good part-time job
Cons
work in inclement weather, work in rotate schedule, do not have a permanent location
I loved working in my career at the New Jersey Turnpike
Heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJMarch 8, 2019
I am now retired and just looking for part-time work The New Jersey Turnpike was always good to my family and I it was wonderful career I've learned a lot
Yes thank you
GENERAL CLERK (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJFebruary 20, 2019
great place i have nothing else to add and i thank you for your assistance and help in trying to land my future job with s company that is willing to help me
Fast Paced Enviroment
TOLL COLLECTOR (Former Employee) –  Union, NJFebruary 6, 2019
New Jersey Turnpike Authority Toll Collector is a fast paced environment. Your day deals with customers and money and giving directions when asked. anyone can do this job
The Administration building was a fun place to work.
System Technician (Former Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJJanuary 31, 2019
Could not find a better place in New Jersey to work. Meetings with contractors at job sites were also done in a professional manner. Installing E-Z pass was a great project.
Pros
Loved everything, including turnpike vehicle
Cons
Most of the technicians are very weak in their skills
Liked working here
Toll Collector (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJJanuary 23, 2019
Saw different people on a daily basis. It was a fast paced job there was traffic daily. Rush hour was the worst time of the day. But I enjoyed working here and talking to my co workers.
Retired
Maintenence Person (Former Employee) –  Holmdel, NJJanuary 11, 2019
All totaled I worked for the New Jersey Turnpike Authority for 35 yrs. I retired because I had enough years of service to do so. It was always steady work. If you like long hours in the winter then this is the place for you.
Pros
steady work
Cons
long winter hrs
Easy Job
Toll Collector (Current Employee) –  , New Jersey Turnpike, Various LocationsDecember 14, 2018
I enjoy working for New Jersey Turnpike because the shift available are flexible and management works with you in the case that you have to switch you shift.
Productive and fun working
Human Resources Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJNovember 12, 2018
I truly enjoyed my experience at NJ Turnpike Authority, in the executive offices. Though my time was rather short, I was able to leave with a lot of learning lessons that helped better prepare me for anything! Whether that was re-enrolling in school, or finding a job that more career oriented. Overall, I has an outstanding work experience there, and I thank the company and its entirety for that!
Pros
Very hands on
Cons
I felt the youngest there, no one around my age.
Fun workplace
Toll Collector/Driver (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJOctober 17, 2018
Overall hands down a great place to work they offer vacation days, paid time off, and job security. The only downfall is your eligibility to work depends solely on your seniority.
Great
Toll Collector (Former Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 15, 2018
I believe that working at the turnpike is a great experience but for those that are in college or graduated from because the hours are designed for that
Pros
flexible
Cons
you have to be in thoses lanes, no heat
Awful
Temporary Janitor (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJOctober 3, 2018
first you get hired temporarily for 8 months (no benefits, time off). then they might call you back after you're laid off for 4+ months. you do this a few times they MIGHT make you permanent. At that point its $30+ an hour to do absolutely nothing
Fast paced environment
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJSeptember 17, 2018
Work was fast paced depending on the exit you worked at. Supervisors were helpful when needed. This was a seasonal position, I only worked here during the summer in between school.
Pros
You did not have anyone standing over you or checking up on you all day
Cons
Some exit's did not have supervision during the night shift, which was kind of scary knowing there was no one inside watching you and the area around
NJ Turnpike Authority
Toll Collector (Current Employee) –  Carlstadt, NJAugust 22, 2018
My day typically consists of handling a lot of money so this job teaches you discipline and responsibility be cause we will have to make up the difference if we are short unless we have paperwork to explain why. Examples include customers who do not have enough cash to pay the toll or they just blow through the lane. The job is easy enough but dealing with rude customers is the worst. They curse at you and sometimes come close to physically assaulting you. However, management is there to help you out. Our supervisors are the best. They act more like fiends rather than your boss.
Easy place to work
TOLL COLLECTOR (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 15, 2018
A typical day at work would consist of greeting the patrons and keeping a smile on your face. The hardest part of working this kind of job was dealing with rude patrons.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
relief sometimes for next shift
full cycle
Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJAugust 14, 2018
When I began, it was employee and family oriented. Management changed and Corporate mentality followed. Since my depatrure I have been made aware that the "employee friendly" attitude has returned making it a great place to work again.
Pros
35 hour work week in office environment. Had van pool, company sponsored activities such as company picnics encouraging family surroundings.
Cons
Too much focus on parchment, not enough on ability.
Great place to retire from
Executive Administrator/ Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJJuly 31, 2018
If you are young, this is a place for you to start your pension and retire from. A lot of the old management have left so it seems like a better place to work at. The pay is more then you would get anywhere else. The overtime is great.
TOLL COLLECTOR (Former Employee) –  NjJuly 20, 2018
Informative Stressed customer service money handling and attendance Worked extremely close with management
Helped patrons with directions
Served on the NJ Turnpike Safety Team last 3 years
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Air qualuty
Exciting place to work
Equal Employment Opportunity Officer (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge New JerseyJune 1, 2018
The New Jersey Turnpike Authority is an employer who offers great benefits and opportunities to its employees. It’s a great place to work if you are interested in providing stability for you and your family. The NJTA's culture’s foundation blocks have been in place from the beginning. The culture is such that when we think of great places to work, we often focus on the perks and benefits that make a workplace more fun, convenient or flexible. However, the NJTA family is one in which everyone sticks together in time of need and hardship. This sense of trust, communication and transparency are engendered at every level, and the organization itself never stops thinking about where it is and how it might improve.
Government Position
Attorney, In-House Counsel (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJMay 20, 2018
NJ Turnpike Authority is a good place to work if you are seeking a job that is repetitive, safe, and stable. This is a government job. People tend to stay forever, so advancement can be difficult unless you jump between departments. Failing that, you can be stuck in a job for years.

That said, things can be overly political and it can be tough to juggle the different personalities because people tend to stay in their jobs their entire careers. In that regard, it can be both a "safe harbor" but also "stifling" if you are seeking to advance and improve your stills.
Pros
Job Security/Safe, "Job for life" if you don't mess up, Yearly raises (Great Benefits, but only okay salaries)
Cons
Not a lot of advancement, Political, Can be stifling, Lots of "personalities", Okay salary (but great benefits)