New Mexico State University Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Competitive
New Mexico Works, Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 5, 2018
50% travel between three offices. Supervision tasks were unreasonable due to differing location and personnel. Compensation was not competitive. Task to broad for location
Pros
Working Environmennt
Cons
travel
Assistant Director of Media Relations (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 31, 2018
While the supervision, workload and atmosphere at NMSU is tremendous, the budget for athletics is a bit thin.

The people you work with in Athletics, Faculty and Admin are very contentious.

Las Cruces is a great place to live. It is very laid back and just the right size for a college town. El Paso is a light drive away if you need cultural, shopping or other entertainment not available in Las Cruces.

The People of Las Cruces are extremely polite. In fact this portion of New Mexico and West Texas is full of people willing to help and are very nice about it.
Pros
Location, Staff, Atmosphere
Cons
Athletics Pay Scale
Limited opportunities for adjunct faculty
Adjunct Faculty - Psychology (Current Employee) –  Grants, NMMarch 25, 2018
Although I have taught for NMSU for years, it’s mostly been out of convenience for a second income. The salary for adjunct faculty is quite low with few opportunities to increase compensation.
Pros
Online courses are great for flexible schedules
Cons
Low pay
excellent
Writer (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 15, 2018
this was a temporary ad-hoc position writing stories for a website, and subsequently researching URL links in the University's website to remove any that weren't still functioning. I had remote contact with one supervisor who was always available and responsive.
Pros
temporary, independent, worked at my own pace
Cons
wish it had lasted way longer
NMSU was fast-paced and very challenging.
Director, Ctr. for Educational Development (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 7, 2018
I was given a chance to learn my job from a very kind and knowledgeable individual. We worked together to write a published book in the area of TV teaching.
Productive, and fun workplace
Events Staff (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 7, 2018
I liked this job position very much. If I could, I would work here and retire. I hope to acquire another job of this type or surroundings so that I can retire with
Pros
I picked my own hours, good work place
Productive and Fun work place
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 6, 2018
Went into the laboratory around 10 everyday, Completed lab experiments, and ran them on analytical devices. Left the lab around everyday around 6 and did a literature review of my experiments from home.

The most enjoyable aspect of the job is choosing and making your own hours
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 5, 2018
Great Job Culture. Very well Management. Good Compensation/Benefits. Always opportunity for Advancement and Job Security. Good Job Work/Life Balance. Very well recommended.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMFebruary 22, 2018
Great place to work. I learned a lot from this place. The management here is very friendly. The hardest part of this job is deciding office hours when there are more number of TA's for the same course. Most enjoyable part of this job is working in office hours.
Universtity Job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMFebruary 21, 2018
My job was a research assistant so benefits did not apply as I was a student. It was a good job for someone who was going to school as the work load was acceptable.
Great Reserach Experience for Undergrads
BigData Research (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMFebruary 20, 2018
The head coordinator for this group really cares and pushes you to succeed. 1 day a week you would work with your mentor, the rest of the time you were free to work on your project alone.
good place to work
Instructional Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMFebruary 8, 2018
students are #1 priority. The campus is beautiful and the people are really nice. There is a lot of history here and Las Cruces is a nice place to work.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
pay is not competitive
Very poor, hostile working environment.
Assistant Performance Training Coach (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMFebruary 8, 2018
A typical day at work for my last 2 years was a 16 hour nightmare. Not once in my career there did I receive any support from athletic admin. I was awarded a national honor which was not publicized in staff meetings. In my time many staff left because of very long hours and no compensation or acknowledgement. Dedication and loyalty to the program are not rewarded. Budget constraints are always cited.
Cons
Never received any support. Long hours. low pay!!
Baseball coach
Pitching Coach (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMFebruary 1, 2018
I enjoyed the work atmosphere but the lack of pay ($8,000) simply was just not enough to live on, so I moved to Austin Texas to open up my professional baseball training facility in 2002
Pros
Baseball and my mentor
Cons
lack of pay
A decent place to adjunct
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMFebruary 1, 2018
New Mexico State University is a decent place to adjunct. The compensation was a bit lower than other schools, but you're treated fairly enough and have access to adequate resources.
Budget issues lead to uncertainty
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJanuary 31, 2018
Budget issues lead to overworked employees and uncertainty about continued employment and quality of benefits. Opportunities for advancement are limited.
Interesting but challenging
Administrative Assistant Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJanuary 27, 2018
Daily work day repetitious, I learned how administrative duties along with partial management skills, the management could be more involved, several types of workplace cultures, hardest part of my position was having to a supervisor but yet not allowed to be consider as one, being able to work with students and have a great opportunity to learn about the university.
Pros
steady work schedule and weekends off
Cons
lack of training, and employment advancements within departments
Poor managment
Testing Center Senior Test proctor (Former Employee) –  New Mexico State UniversityJanuary 18, 2018
I have no opion that will fit into this box. For all the wrong doing this school did to my personal experience and the life destruction, this school and the educators do, to individual lives for their political views.
Amazing!
Part-Time EMS Instructor (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMJanuary 13, 2018
It has been a few years since I worked there, however when I was there it was great. This job is by far the best job I have had. It had flexible hours and it was an easy job, but very informative.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
I had to relocate
Decent Education
Student (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMJanuary 4, 2018
Education is fine for a Community College the size of Alamogordo. I could appreciate the sizes of the classes that were on campus. The online class support was a little shaky though.
Pros
Location to my residence
Cons
Some important classes to my degree plan that required in class help were online only.