New Mexico State University Employee Reviews

Good place to grow professionally depending on lab
Field Assistant and Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMNovember 14, 2018
My lab supervisor and coworkers were all very supportive. They really helped to prepare me for my future career and scholarly pursuit. Not all labs might have been as supportive as mine but I would definitely recommend working in the Biology Research department if you are considering getting a career in biology and continuing your education.
good place to work the pay just isn't very good.
Student Assistant at NMSU tennis center (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 22, 2018
I think that working at the tennis center is a good job, the only problem with working there is that the minimum wage is $7.50 where as it is $10.10 for the city. Also the amount of hour we get per week does not allow for the pay check to be decent.
Pros
It's an easy job with not much work, and my coworkers are very cool.
Cons
Pay is not good
Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 18, 2018
The campus community was a wonderful one. It was among the best employers I've ever had. It was such a wonderful place that I regret leaving and I'd go back there in a heartbeat.
great place and people, very flexible for students.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 15, 2018
My job at the onion program was my first job and I had a great experience. We did hard work but If one applies themselves they can learn much from this position and use it to launch themselves to a career in this or a similar field.
Pros
very defined breaks and lunches, flexible with schedule, headphones allowed.
Cons
lots of hard labor, high turnover, some busy work
Slower paced but rewarding job
Circulation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 14, 2018
Hours as a student were limited to no more than 18 but it was rewarding to provide a necessary service in the library. Library website was easy to learn and the job was easy as well. Plenty of opportunity to learn and provide excellent service.
Pros
Slow paced, working for university, flexible schedule
Cons
Little to no communication with upper management, often late and short shifts, occasional irate patron
Well compensated job with a lot of meaning
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 7, 2018
Work would vary daily.
I learned people skills and how to deal with issues personally.
Management is hit or moss depending on who they decide to hire next, very inconsistent in the housing department.
Culture is dependent on what you make of it.
Hardest part of the job is balancing school and work life.
Most enjoyable part is all of the connections you make in the process.
Pros
Free housing, people
Cons
Inconsistent leadership
Great people and working environment. Loved working at NMSU.
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 4, 2018
Warm friendly caring environment. A great place for student to learn and anyone to work. NMSU has a great Agricultural Department with hands on technology.
Productive work place with lots of opportunity
Farm hand/welder (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 4, 2018
Management is slow due to so many bosses. But lots of opportunities to further your education and career. Work is fairly easy but can be labor intensive.
Small salary-great experience
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 1, 2018
NMSU does not pay a whole lot given that they are hiring broke college students, but getting a job isn't too difficult and it's good work experience, especially for people who did not have jobs in high school.
productive and whiling to better myself by giving 100% in all I do.
Labor worker (Former Employee) –  nmsuSeptember 30, 2018
A typical day at work in the University would be a busy day, preparing walls in any of the buildings to get them paint, the day goes fast. I learn that ist is important to work either by yourself or in a group. the managements is okay, the directors or supervisor are always trying to help. there is a diversity in people, women, men of many different cultures, I really enjoy these job so I did not have any hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was working for the student.
Pros
I thoug 1 hr of lunch was to much
Cons
healthcare
Productive and friendly environment
Software Analyst (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMSeptember 12, 2018
Productive and friendly environment, held to university quality standards. Departments work together and overall goal to ensure student success training and benefits are also very well done.
Challenging and rewarding, nice pace.
Teaching Assistant (TA)/ Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMSeptember 7, 2018
As a TA (teaching assistant) at NMSU I taught physical geography labs as many as 4 labs a day. I also taught geographical information systems (GIS) use Arc view.

As a RA (research assistant) I gathered information on how Mexican waste water plants acquire funding. As part of the research I traveled to Juarez-Mexico, Nuevo Laredo-Mexico, Tijuana-Mexico.and Nogales-Mexico.
Pros
I like the travel
Cons
having to input all of the gathered information
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMSeptember 7, 2018
generally a nice culture and nice people to work with. small community and nice leadership, caring and innovative place to work. Improvement and great career development
Excellen place to work. Fun to get along well with people
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMSeptember 6, 2018
Excellent teaching. Very good at keeping up with technology. God participation with other colleges. Easy to interact with students and other faculty.
Pros
Good supply of technology
Cons
Low pay
Good management, good experience
Academic Advisor/Student Success (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 30, 2018
Working as an academic advisor was a great experience, but lacked potential for upward growth. It gave me great experience working with many different diverse groups of people as well.
It’s an okay job
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 29, 2018
I got this job because finding a part time job while going to school is hard. While this job is great on flexibility and the manager is super nice, the way the hours are broken up kind of sucks and the pay isn’t great. Minimum wage in LC is $9.50, the DA job pays $7.50 and there’s no room for advancement so you’re kind of stuck as just a desk assistant and $7.50 an hour.
Pros
Great management, flexibility
Cons
Broken up hours, late nights, instability in schedule, salary
Easy going work place
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 12, 2018
A typical day at work was attending the class lecture and setting up for the lab classes. I learned a lot about entomology, plant pathology and plant diagnosing.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Temporary
It was a nice environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 8, 2018
New Mexico State is a very slow-paced, relaxed environment. The people are nice and friendly. Also, the people are very focused on doing their job. I highly recommend it.
very flexible
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 1, 2018
I would definitely recommend becoming a graduate assistant to anyone who qualifies the work is fairly easy as long as you keep up with it and the pay is excellent
Pros
Graduate assistant appreciation lunches, ice cream
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJuly 31, 2018
Wonderful working with colleagues and students. The work environment is fast paced and rigorous. Extra hours for prep should be expected. Teaching is a rewarding experience.