New Mexico State University Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Writing Center Tutor (Former Employee) –  New MexicoJanuary 13, 2019
Relaxed atmosphere; comfortable work environment; high expectations; plenty of resources available for all levels of learning/students; hands on activities.
Great Place to work
Graduate Teaching/ Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJanuary 9, 2019
I love working at New Mexico State University. It is a culturally diverse university. The communication department is one of the best places to work at. Very good Professors.
N/a
Athletics Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NM 88003December 21, 2018
It was a work study job that I was in while attending. They were great as I could work on homework while I was at work and had a flexible schedule that allowed me to work on class and focus on class when necessary.
Academia is my ideal environment
Graduate Assistantship (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMDecember 17, 2018
I love helping students to achieve their best academic experience. It is the perfect environment for me to have one-on-one contact with students and help them to reach their full potential.
Pros
Pleasant environment
Cons
Students who exhibit apathy toward their academics
Quiet
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMDecember 13, 2018
It is not much easy to conciliate work and your own studies. There are not as many course options as you could find in other universities. The salary is enough for living in Cruces.
Pros
Quiet
Cons
No free tuition
Vibrant university!
English 111G Instructor (TA) (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMDecember 11, 2018
Great support for new teachers. Strong collegiality and wonderful students. Graduate assistants are treated with respect and given the tools to succeed and teach effectively.
Pros
Support, Compensation, and Strong Scholarship
Cons
Short period of training prior to starting the semester.
Great leaders and teachers who want to see students succeed
PAID RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMDecember 11, 2018
The teachers sincerely want to see students succeed and are very helpful to their best efforts. My employers are very motivated and not only want to succeed, but encourage their employees to achieve much as well.
Education
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMDecember 4, 2018
I worked here many many years ago. I have no idea how the culture or the environment is anymore. I know it was not bad when I worked there before ...
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
NMSU is an excellent school.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMNovember 23, 2018
I have worked as an Adjunct Professor for 9 years in the Math Department while I practiced law. Unfortunately, enrollment is down and positions are being cut.Now I am retired from practicing law but I do not want to stop working altogether.
Productive and friendly workplace
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMNovember 16, 2018
I really like the work culture, everyone was very friendly and helpful. It is a good place to work as it sets a good example of teamwork. It also a lot of help to the students, faculties and anyone who needs helps.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
I don't find any cons
Good place to grow professionally depending on lab
Field Assistant and Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMNovember 14, 2018
My lab supervisor and coworkers were all very supportive. They really helped to prepare me for my future career and scholarly pursuit. Not all labs might have been as supportive as mine but I would definitely recommend working in the Biology Research department if you are considering getting a career in biology and continuing your education.
good place to work the pay just isn't very good.
Student Assistant at NMSU tennis center (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 22, 2018
I think that working at the tennis center is a good job, the only problem with working there is that the minimum wage is $7.50 where as it is $10.10 for the city. Also the amount of hour we get per week does not allow for the pay check to be decent.
Pros
It's an easy job with not much work, and my coworkers are very cool.
Cons
Pay is not good
Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 18, 2018
The campus community was a wonderful one. It was among the best employers I've ever had. It was such a wonderful place that I regret leaving and I'd go back there in a heartbeat.
great place and people, very flexible for students.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 15, 2018
My job at the onion program was my first job and I had a great experience. We did hard work but If one applies themselves they can learn much from this position and use it to launch themselves to a career in this or a similar field.
Pros
very defined breaks and lunches, flexible with schedule, headphones allowed.
Cons
lots of hard labor, high turnover, some busy work
Slower paced but rewarding job
Circulation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 14, 2018
Hours as a student were limited to no more than 18 but it was rewarding to provide a necessary service in the library. Library website was easy to learn and the job was easy as well. Plenty of opportunity to learn and provide excellent service.
Pros
Slow paced, working for university, flexible schedule
Cons
Little to no communication with upper management, often late and short shifts, occasional irate patron
Well compensated job with a lot of meaning
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 7, 2018
Work would vary daily.
I learned people skills and how to deal with issues personally.
Management is hit or moss depending on who they decide to hire next, very inconsistent in the housing department.
Culture is dependent on what you make of it.
Hardest part of the job is balancing school and work life.
Most enjoyable part is all of the connections you make in the process.
Pros
Free housing, people
Cons
Inconsistent leadership
Great people and working environment. Loved working at NMSU.
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 4, 2018
Warm friendly caring environment. A great place for student to learn and anyone to work. NMSU has a great Agricultural Department with hands on technology.
Productive work place with lots of opportunity
Farm hand/welder (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 4, 2018
Management is slow due to so many bosses. But lots of opportunities to further your education and career. Work is fairly easy but can be labor intensive.
Small salary-great experience
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 1, 2018
NMSU does not pay a whole lot given that they are hiring broke college students, but getting a job isn't too difficult and it's good work experience, especially for people who did not have jobs in high school.
productive and whiling to better myself by giving 100% in all I do.
Labor worker (Former Employee) –  nmsuSeptember 30, 2018
A typical day at work in the University would be a busy day, preparing walls in any of the buildings to get them paint, the day goes fast. I learn that ist is important to work either by yourself or in a group. the managements is okay, the directors or supervisor are always trying to help. there is a diversity in people, women, men of many different cultures, I really enjoy these job so I did not have any hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was working for the student.
Pros
I thoug 1 hr of lunch was to much
Cons
healthcare