New Orleans Police Department

Reviewer Recommended

Recommended Workplaces earn this badge by having an average star rating of 4.2 or higher in the last two years, and at least 10 reviews from Indeed users.

New Orleans Police Department Employee Reviews

Police Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 27, 2018
Management can be a problem depending on the Sgt, Lt, or Captain you have over your division. No real union besides civil service protection under city government.
Pros
Great Health benefits
Cons
Poor Retirement system (Pension plan)
great job
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 16, 2018
Serving the community where I live. the pay is goods and you have time for a social life. training was constant there was advancement either in rank or position within the force
Good place to work.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 31, 2018
Good place to work until you become sick or injured. Then it is downhill after that. Loyalty and handwork does not mean much after getting injured. It goes downhill after that.
Structured Environment
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 27, 2018
If working in law enforcement is your passion then you should apply! It is truly a calling, and must be passionate about what you do in life. With every job you will have positive and negative feelings about it, however, be passionate about your career choice! Much Luck
Fast paced culture working with good people
Compliance Bureau Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 5, 2017
Overall, extremely fulfilling employment. Implementation of the Consent Decree is difficult work as it is the largest Consent Decree in the Unites States (at this time), but it is rewarding work. All commissioned and non-commissioned personnel are get to work with are great people and make a difficult job much easier.
Stressful Environment
Police Complaint Operator (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 31, 2017
Being a Police Complaint Operator was difficult because of the many unpleasant calls that came from the community. You'd have to be a very strong individual to not have any emotional connections to your callers. It was tough.
This job makes a difference, amazing employer
Police Technician I (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 8, 2017
Best days were everyday. Working side by side with many police officers and many different law enforcement agencies to make our city a safe place for residents. Working for NOPD, was an extreme pleasure. The most enjoyable part of the job was being apart of an organization that put others first and again aid in keeping the city safe.
productive workplace with good benefits
Detective Investigator (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 6, 2017
A typical day at work entailed criminal investigations and prevention of crime by doing stake outs. I enjoyed working with the police department for 30 years.
benefits
Fast paced
Homicide Investigator (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 9, 2017
When not overworked and under staffed, the New Orleans Police Department is a great place to work. You are given the opportunity to serve and protect the citizens of New Orleans.
Law Enforcement
Information Processor Operator, Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 23, 2017
Working for this department was rewarding, however on various occasions dealing with the public I encountered some difficult citizens. I worked for a new department, I truly enjoyed building the department from the ground up.
Pros
Working within my department, as well as other departments.
Cons
working with difficult individuals.
Administrative Analyst I (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 22, 2017
Great place to work... Great Leaders are at NOPD despite all the stories you hear. This is a family oriented place. I learned a lot to get me where I am today from NOPD.
Fast paced
Police Officer III (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 20, 2017
The job is very fast paced. You will stay busy. I'm still in touch with many of my former co-workers and they were the best group of people that I have ever worked with.
You have to love this job to do it well, and be smart about it!
Police Lieutenant (Retired) (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 16, 2017
I retired in 2009 after 28 years, but I loved every minute of my job, even the scary ones. If you are willing to run towards the fire and risk your life for your community, then by all means become a police officer. The current atmosphere towards police is changing back to a positive light, but it has been rough lately.
Pros
Serving your Community
Cons
Long hours, but rewarding.
Was a great job with great people. Pay was low by national standards.
Investigator (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 8, 2017
Toward the end of my carrier I was in the Intelligence unit. It was interesting work.

Prior to that I was in the special victim's unit where I was the lead investigator on several hundred cases. We were responsible for the cases from the initial contact with the victim to assisting in the prosecution of it. I enjoyed this assignment.

I never had a problem with supervisors on the police department. All of the rules were there, in writing.

The most challenging part of being an officer was dealing with hurt kids and elderly people.

I had the most fun when I was assigned to the mounted unit. The horses were great.
major police department
Lieutenant Commander (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 12, 2016
excellent opportunity to grow, learn and sharpen your law enforcement skills. excellent benefits, job security through civil service, life long career with excellent pension.
Pros
pay and benifits
Being a team leader and helping the citizens of the city of New Orleans.
Law Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 17, 2016
There is no such thing of routine day at work. My job, often times, consist of reviewing and assisting my coworkers with work related issues. Issues that only a veteran of 15 years will have knowledge about. My management rely on me to train subordinates and assist tourist in the first step of any problems that they may have.

The hardest part of my job is when I come to a dead end. When I arrive at a point that I can no longer help the caller. The part of my job I enjoy the most is when i can assure tourist of their safety.
Pros
Working with people I trained that I know is competent.
Cons
Never really knowing what to expect on a day to day bases.
Good place to learn efficient policing
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 1, 2016
Good place to experience public safety and its relationship to shape public opinion. Great opportunity for advancement in law enforcement while earning a living wage.
Pros
promotional opportunities
Cons
High turnover rate do to unrealistic expectations of employer
Productive department. Loved training.
POLICE COMPLAINT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 2, 2016
A typical work day at the New Orleans Police Department as a 911-Operator/Trainer was very busy. Calls constantly came into the 911-center for emergency and non-emergency calls. The thought of helping someone who needed assistance was rewarding. I learned patience answering 911 calls.

The hardest part of my job was feeling helpless when someone had a real emergency, until help arrived to them.

The most enjoyable part of my job was training new employees and helping the public.
Pros
Helping the public.
Cons
The stress of hearing emergency calls.
great job
Police Techn / legal analyst (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 29, 2016
I have worked for the police dept. for 8 years now. I have met great people and my learning experience has been exceptional. I will take what I have learned from this job and take it far with me.
Pros
great job expereince
Cons
pay is horrible
Actually a pretty good place
Police Tech Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 8, 2016
This was actually my favorite job. It had it's problem but the thing with a job like this is you have to have the desire for it. If you are doing a job like this for money you are doing it wrong. You will hate it and you won't get paid.
Pros
no day is the same
Cons
low pay, not appericated, long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Orleans Police Department. Our community is ready to answer.

New Orleans Police Department Reviews by Location