New Penn Motor Express Employee Reviews

Trucking company with mostly men
Credit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAAugust 19, 2018
Not a fun place to work. At the time no women in management. Would never recommend the place as there was no work life balance or opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Cons
no advancement opportunity
A corrosive place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYAugust 13, 2018
Management was constantly undermining decisions made and in a public forum.
Berating and demeaning its employees was a goal and laughing point of the terminal and operations manager.
Face paced
Freight Transportation Specialist (Former Employee) –  ROchesterAugust 8, 2018
New Penn wasn't the best place to work for a single parent. You do not know what time you will get out everyday and work varies by the amount of freight. If there was not a lot of freight then you didn't work.
Would not recommend
Employee (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAJuly 17, 2018
When I started, my understanding was that New Penn was a great company. The key word in that sentence is "was" but that there was an active attempt to fix it. In my time there, I did not see much fixing, there was a lot of talking about fixing the problem, but the actions countered the talk.

Long-time employees there were once proud to work at New Penn, but the longer I was there, more and more people were going into "survival mode" just trying to get through to the next day, as outlined by the heavy turn over of management.

The people I worked with were great, tried to do their job, but as more and more gets put on a single person to cover down for people who leave, it makes any one's job very difficult.

Compensation and benefits are good, but not worth it long term. I think they have a great opportunity for drivers and dock workers, but politics, training (lack of) and the management seem to have a strong affect on turn over.

Truly wish New Penn can turn around, a lot of good, hardworking people who have given them years of hard work and loyalty deserve to succeed. Those same hardworking, loyal people will ultimately have to pay the price for the decisions of management above them.
Pros
Co-workers, benefits
Cons
Short sighted management
Tough Environment in Trucking
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Mercerville, NJJuly 12, 2018
The company has been around for a long time. It has values that still exist since YRCW buyout. Can be a good, but difficult start in logistics. As with many shipping carriers, New Penn is reluctant to change and spend capital. Long hours, little work life balance. Solid foundation of customers and business. Trucking environment is a unique animal. The more talented individuals will drown, but successfully move on with a good learning experience in a union environment.
Pros
overall good people
Cons
Long hours versus pay
This place is stuck in 1979
Supervisor of Operations (Former Employee) –  Maspeth, NYApril 17, 2018
Managers are a joke. the place is dirty no rules are enforced smoking on the dock is allowed seat belts aren't worn anyone enforces it trash is just left sometimes stacked in a corner.
average job
Driver (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 12, 2018
its a freight company. pick up and deliver freight, work docks, Monday through Friday job, weekends and holidays off. with contract you never know if your working as casual employee. sit by phone and wait. one day work city next night run the road.
Pros
steady work
Cons
not a full time employee
20 Years. “Time for changes”
Driver/Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Cranston, RIMarch 24, 2018
I’ve Been At NP For 20 Years ! Boy Have Things Changed , You Were Proud To Work At NP ! You Had To Work Your Way Into NP, I Spared for 2 yrs Before I Made The List ! Even When You Made The List You Continued To Work Hard ! Now This New Breed Of Hires ( I Won’t Call Them Workers Because Most Of Them Don’t) ! They Walk in The Door With A Pulse And They are Hired and Put On The List Experience or Not ! Then They just Have To Stand Around And Bull—-With A lot Of The Other Disgruntled People ! While a Minority Of Decent Worker Try To Do Our Jobs ! Again MANAGEMENT Let’s This Go On For Whatever Reason !!! With The Truck Driver Shortage They Feel They Have To Take Whoever They can’t Get ! A Warm Body Is Better Than Nobody As I Was Told By Management !!!

I Agree We Are Underpaid And Have Been SCREWED BY THE YRC DEAL ! But The Way It operates is Not Good For Anyone Especially Business!! It Will Be Interesting To See What 2019 Contract Brings , It Going To Be A FIGHT YRC !
I’m On The Tailend Of My Career But I Still Car Like I Was Hired For 20 Years Ago ! Not Like This New Class Of People ! It’s Going To Be A Sad Day And Major PROBLEM in The Future !
Pros
GREAT Medical Benefits, Vacation, Sick Day And Personal Days
Cons
Lazy CoWorkers, Management With No Backbone, Stressful, Aging Equipment
truck driving what do you think
CDL-A truck driver (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAMarch 20, 2018
its truck driving, stay by the phone, live by the phone, home life is disrupted...doing a review for indeed must meet minimum requirements or you cannot get outta the durg on website and keep all of your other data saved
stank
Warehouse worker and forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAMarch 1, 2018
not a nice place to work, mean people, uneducated, hours varied, if a mistake was made you were not informed. The management team did not talk to you.
Pros
Cons
no full time
Productivity
City Driver (Current Employee) –  Kearny, NJFebruary 10, 2018
One of the best place for work medical insurance dental insurance vision insurance cover 100% by the company for you and your family I recommend a 100% this company.....
Pros
Dunkin Donuts breakfast all Fridays
progress
Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Maspeth, NYJanuary 27, 2018
union job, as such was worth it.

The inability to recognize the need for change and make modern accomodations for the type of delivery business it's in gives me impression its trying to go out of business change is not it's strong suit,

Not very smartly run.

Loading of trucks reckless and out of order most times with delivery pattern,

Heavy lifting and poor quality equipment, dirty.
Pros
regular work
Cons
see comments
Busy
Call Center Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PAJanuary 15, 2018
You will answer many calls and talk to a lot of angry people who want to know where their freight is. The unfortunate part there is a lot of lost freight and they do not seem to care about fixing the issue in order to improve that part. You get a week of training than you are on your own.
Teamsters
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Colchester, VTJanuary 10, 2018
Great health insurance . Cadillac plan full coverage! Pay is 22 per hour with overtime after 8 hours . If you want to work 8 hours and go home then don’t work here! Truck drivers work 12 hour days
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Time off or leaving early is only for management favorites
Great place
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  Southington, CTJanuary 9, 2018
Great overall place to work and a company with integrity that values and appreciates their employees. Everyone from upper management, corporate office, drivers, mechanics, office staff and dock workers were great to work with.
Pros
Job environment
Cons
Switching shifts
New Penn
Temp Force (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAJanuary 4, 2018
It was a good company to work for until new management came in.
Some changes where good however many of the changes were not.
Vacation time was adjusted. The demand of taking calls was very stressful. I took a 10 minute break to go to the bath room and was questioned to why I was off the phone. That to me is a little uncalled
for.
Too much O/T
Local CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15225December 13, 2017
This place really isn't all that bad, but between the terrible moral, sub standard pay, and working 60 plus hours a week, every week...

It gets old quick.
A productive workplace
Customer Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Puerto RicoNovember 28, 2017
In resume, I have been working for New Penn for over 15 years.
Leaving to improve my living conditions USA verse Puerto Rico
Working for New Penn is not a factor for wanting to relocate to Florida with rest of my family.
hard working and fast paced
Fork Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NJNovember 27, 2017
a typical day at work was fast pace with a lot of paperwork. i learn that you must obey all traffic. upper management was great to work for, the supervisors were not too fun to work for. there was a quick turnaround of employees
dockworker
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Maspeth, NYNovember 20, 2017
under paid this is not a full time job they will not tell you that its a waste of time co workers great people very helpful you will maybe work a month or two full time then you will have to call in 2 hours prior to your start up time to see if you will work that day the chances of you getting hired here full time are very slim you will be lucky to work one or two days out of a week
Pros
great co workers
Cons
not full time work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Penn Motor Express. Our community is ready to answer.