New Seasons Market Employee Reviews

-affordable, comprehensive benefits
-focus on work-life balance
-fun work environment
-opportunities for growth
-opportunities for training in other departments
Pros
free food
Cons
low level pay increases
great company
Store Chef (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORApril 23, 2019
great place to work. good values and mission. nice people, good employee benefits and quality of life is nice with a good balance of home to work life.
Terrible Management
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 23, 2019
The business cares only about management, everyone else is just a number. Very judgemental management. They do not care about the employees. Favoritism is very high in this company.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Poor Management
Community based Grocery
Cook / Clerk / Dish / Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 19, 2019
When working in the grocery-field, it is a great place to work for. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with fun individuals and lots of culture building events.
Still a lot of great people there, just not at the upper levels
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 9, 2019
New Seasons has changed a lot in the past decade and while they still have a lot of amazing people working there very few are making the big decisions. The majority of leaders in the company come from much more conventional backgrounds and lead in a more conventional manner when it comes to staff, product, and customers. The rapid expansion the company pursued in the last five years is coming back to bite them and unfortunately the fix they have decided on is cutting labor at the stores. I wish all my old friends well.
Pros
Good discount and decent benefits, a lot of amazing people still work and shop there.
Cons
Disconnect between Store Support (corporate) and stores, internal promotions lack compensation and there is no room to negotiate, store and company leadership set unrealistic expectations.
Good benefits and work culture
Barista Lead (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 8, 2019
Good at listening to the employees. Really enjoyed the employee discount on all store items. Living wage also a big plus. Customers were actually really nice for the most part,
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAApril 4, 2019
good place to work good people to work with they are fair to work with good benefits they are willing to work with people the people are good to work with
Pros
none at this time
Cons
none at this time
I Love New Seasons
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORMarch 30, 2019
I have worked for New Seasons for almost 5 years and I still am very proud to work for this company.
This is not to say that I agree with every single thing they do, but it's still a company with a heart compared to many others. The benefits are out of this world. Amazing. People are genuine here.

I feel that I am treated with respect. My voice is heard. My pay is commensurate with what I actually do in my job. It's still not enough to really survive in Portland, but that's on me not choosing a wealthier career choice. I get paid for what I do- which is not brain surgery. The people that work here are like family and people work hard.

My only complaints: We have had a difficult time with a few of our Assistant Store Managers over the past couple of years as some of them just don't know how to communicate or manage. Another complaint would be that some department managers are placed in roles without any real experience so they make terrible ineffective managers.
Some department managers have a revolving door of employees and yet it may take years for upper management to finally see that its the department manager. Eventually its figured out but it seems to take a while. Maybe that's because upper management wants to think the best of people? Or they just don't want to see it?

If I leave New Seasons tomorrow, I will be sad because its a positive, friendly, supportive place to work. I will always look back at my time as a really good one. I have enjoyed my direct managers and appreciate the humor, the ability to laugh at things, and the heart that if someone makes
  more... a mistake, it's okay... what did you learn from it? It's a great company.  less
Pros
Friendly Supportive Kind Company to work for and the BENEFITS!
Cons
Some Department Managers Need Management Training Classes
Great Place to work. Co-workers have great spirit and attitude.
Store Floater (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 22, 2019
Management is great, they care for you. Great quality of products large variety. Workers and management are pacient with struggling workers. Great salary.
Great environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mercer Island, WAMarch 21, 2019
Fun loving environment where it was a lot of room for growth. Very diverse learning different ethic group. Great food. Every department you can learn something new
Pros
Good healthcare
Cons
Prejudice
Lacking experienced management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 17, 2019
Managers don't know how to lead a team that enforces food safety seemingly because they are unaware of food safety practices themselves. Coworkers and customers can be fun but I found I was losing my integrity by conforming to their safety standards
Pros
Nice benefits, easy
Cons
Unprofessional leadership
Proactive and Pleasant
Freight Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 13, 2019
A day of work at New Seasons was both very serene, yet fast-paced. While workloads were heavy, as long as everyone was willing to cooperate, the work got done fast and efficiently.
good company but not if you are an outside hire
Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 11, 2019
I was hired into management from outside the company and it was Hard! They really protect their own, so to speak. I rarely got listened to in meetings, passed up for promotions and not taken seriously.
benefits
Cons
they don't embrace new ideas
Good Benefits Poor Management.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 19, 2019
The location was ideal, however the Management had poor communication skills. I spent each eight hour shift keeping the entirety of the store clean. I would not recommend this job to anyone with low stamina and work ethic.
Pros
Good Benefits, Good Community, and Good Pay.
Cons
Poor Communication, job expectations not presented, etc.
Progressive work place
PROMOTIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 7, 2019
Great job! What can I say. It is still a good place to work, but my over arching journey was disappointing. New Seasons defiantly helped me grow to a point, but then became unhealthy.
NSM has changed for the worse!!!!!
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 30, 2019
The NSM we all love is gone! The company is currently trying to sell itself out of a contract with their investors and things are going down hill quickly. I would not advise not getting a job with NSM at this point, wait until some other company buys them to see where they will land on the grocery spectrum.
I admit that the health coverage was pretty great but does not make up for the lack of value they put on the store level employees. If it was not for the culture fostered by the employees this place would be the same as Freddy's. Also, they will fight you for every penny when it is time for your review, do not expect to be paid your worth.
Spend your money at Natural Grocers, they stand behind their ideals.
Pros
Health coverage and co-workers
Cons
Company leadership and the investment company
Steady pace friendly employee and customers
Deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJanuary 11, 2019
New seasons market is a good place to work I've been there 15 1/2 years very happy I'm going to try to stay there but they're not making it easy for me and I feel like they want to get rid of top payed employees not sure . I'm just trying to see what's out there I need to work regardless .
Pros
Birthday bennefits blue slip items in store a 20%discount
Great culture
Grocery Lead (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 10, 2019
There is some great culture among employees but it get's watered down through management. It's hard to move u at a fair pay rate. I was disappointed in the lack of acknowledgement of previous skills when changing positions in the store.
Pros
great team enviroment
Cons
disconnect with management
What it was, shall never be again
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 30, 2018
The company is founded on such incredible principles that it unfortunately doesn't live up to.
With the constant change you experience in the retail world there has to be a conscience effort to enforce systems, expectations and training. The larger and older New Seasons gets, the more they appear to forget that. The facade of culture is not upheld within the walls of any location. With few realizing it can often be the glue that holds staff united and engaged with customers. Instead, staff in departments fed their own needs first(unless you work in Meat, don't ever plan on seeing free food from them), peer conversations are more important than customers and instead of rallying around the hard workers and using that attitude to elevate the team, we're seen as annoying, bossy and aggresive.
These days, you'll be best taken care of if you come from Whole Foods...
Pros
Blue slip(when you can get it), healt benefits and 401k
Cons
Self serving staff and management. Lack of training. Lack of care.
Prepared Foods Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 23, 2018
I enjoyed working for New Seasons Market because the work was easy, fast paced, multi tasking. Mostly relaxed environment, except if you are over worked.
Pros
Decent pay, Benefits, Relaxed environment, room for advancement, pay raises
Cons
No training, good employees get over worked, poor management-lack of communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Seasons Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight