New Seasons Market Employee Reviews for Cashier

Terrible environment, terrible customers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orenco StationNovember 6, 2018
Work here if you want to be taken advantage of by management, treated as an object rather than a person, and spend your days surrounded by miserable, overworked, and toxic coworkers and customers.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 6, 2018
This was my first job started fresh out of high school I was treated very well and paid decently well. The management is great and the people are greater.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 28, 2018
Great place to work but keep an eye on managers who don't acknowledge life work balance. They are not always responsive to the very real needs of being an adult. Sometimes it feels like they treat employees like teenagers.
The sick time policy sucks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 15, 2018
You can only have three sick days every 6 months or you get terminated its totally ridiculous. They also dont respect the privacy of peoples illnesses.
Seemed like a good place to work in the past
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 6, 2018
From what I can tell by talking to more tenured employees, workplace conditions at New Seasons Market have been in decline. Even in my 7-ish months as an employee, I can already feel a shift towards a more corporate feel. Aside from that, the cashiering position is monotonous and under-stimulating.
Pros
Occasional free food/assorted groceries, health benefits
Cons
Monotonous, limited upward mobility, increasingly corporate management
Gtrat Place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mercer Island, WASeptember 7, 2017
Wonderfully diverse culture, great mission statement, but work hours scheduling is lacking. There is no consistent days/hours which makes planning personal meetings/appt. challenging .
busy store, love my customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 28, 2017
My store was so busy, we had to stay on our toes. We had to know produce codes, and load and pack the bags while retaining a conversation with customers with a smile on your face at the same time. Very easy job but how busy it becomes, it makes the job go by faster.
Pros
the pay was great!
Cons
no parking
Good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 25, 2017
Courtesy Clerk: where I bagged groceries, brought in carts from outside, cleaned deli seating area, counted bottle returns, cleaned the store at closing and helped people out to their cars. I received a promotion from courtesy clerked to cashier, where I scan groceries and transactions.
Great worker,
Courtesy/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 22, 2015
Great worker, She gets the job done. She is great at helping customers in any way needed always with a smile. She is very outgoing and friendly. She is very reliable and responsible. She stays in communication and dealing with any issue that arises. We have enjoyed having her on our team immensely!!
Diverse and forward thinking, always putting the customer first.
Store Floater and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 5, 2015
Working for New Seasons Market was a blast. The company was built on the premise of customer service to maximize the shopping experience. Their philosophy beyond local and sustainable was if a good work environment was created, the employees would be better enabled to offer the best customer service experience for those shopping with us.

I worked as a store floater with the company. This was a position that worked each department depending on staffing and/or how busy a particular department was. Meaning, if a department had employees out because of sickness or vacation I would work there to cover for them. Also, if there was a major rush like a lunch rush at the deli department, I could move over there to offer additional coverage. My duty was customer service first, then to aid the department as they needed.

With the challenge of working all the departments I've gained numerous skills, as a cashier, meat clerk, produce clerk, etc. All the departments had different skill sets that needed to be learned and I loved this. Each day was a learning experience, but I loved having the skill set to assist any of my customers or co-workers at any time, any place.

Challenging was setting co-workers' expectations in that you had to be well organized to meet the needs of the department you were assigned to. Prioritization was important in figuring out which areas were needed coverage first. You couldn't always make everyone happy, but just do the best job possible. I would have to say this really grew my communication in a solid manner. Also, being creative in
  more... coverage at times, since there was only so much I could do.

In that, management was great. When the position first started they didn't know the best way to apply it. It was originally intended to be a customer service focus only. Allowing the department employees to take care of the department and customers as needed. As we went along they were receptive in feedback that the position could grow, as I learned each department more and more thoroughly. At the end of my employment with New Seasons, I was taking care of the customers, helping with production, even assisting at times with opening and closing departments for the day based on need.
Pros
Innovative ideas towards employment, and customer care. Fun environment, with a wonderful collection of friends and memories that I take away from it.
Cons
Growing through growth, and a change in some philosophy. A little muddy in what the company goal is.
Great Benefits and Employees. Fun and productive.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, OROctober 19, 2014
Supportive and positive work days. Fun and hard working employees and management. Customers are mostly wonderful. Hardest part is complying with attendance policies and company wide changes that customers are not happy with.
Pros
Free food, household items, health and beauty, excellent benefits, work/ life balance
Cons
Corporate sell out, unstable management model