New Seasons Market Employee Reviews for Deli Associate

Love this place
Deli Service Manager/Deli Clerk/Freight Crew (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 15, 2018
Place is amazing. I worked there for years and loved it. Met tons of great people that are still my friends to this day. I was able to work in multiple departments.
Very ineffective leadership
Seasonal Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORFebruary 9, 2018
As a temp it is your responsibility to know how to do everything yet the leadership constantly ensured that was not the case. When you ask for feedback, it is given in a way that is made to make you look bad while they look good.
Customers and coworkers
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJanuary 10, 2018
Great food, great customers, great coworkers, great atmosphere.
The community at new seasons is like no other. This is the type of place that you want to come back to work every day. Career advancement options. Everyday would be a blast with the customers and coworkers.
Great place to work, but in decline
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 29, 2017
Over the period that I worked for new seasons I saw a great deal of the quality slide, particularly after it was acquired by an outside investment group. Overall, still a good place to work and the culture among coworkers is outstanding but the trajectory of it's future seems doubtful.
Pros
lifestyle scheduling, great bennefits, great company culture on the bottom level
Cons
poor choices in upper management, long term loss of the values of the company
It's changed for the worse.
Deli (Current Employee) –  PortlandAugust 9, 2017
The company used to be great to work for. It had great ethics and morals. Now things are just spiraling down. People getting fired over small things or mistakes when said people had contributed so much to the company and because they believed in those morals. We were swindeled so to speak. Profit share is a joke now. Benefits are disappearing. 'Corporate' style is taking over and the employees are the ones taking the hit as well as customers.
Pros
Blue slip(free product that's close to expiration.)
Cons
Alot.
A productive and lively workplace with a team of experienced coworkers.
Deli Clerk/Barista (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORFebruary 6, 2017
I worked as a deli clerk and a barista. I prepared food, provided customer service, made customers sandwiches and drinks. I learned how to work in a kitchen. I also learned how to work well in teams the most in this job. The management was fabulous.
The hardest part of the job was learning all new kinds of positions in the department.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great team and being able to meet new people everyday.
Pros
10% discount on groceries, full benefits
Cons
No cons.
Was a great place to work
Deli Assistant Manager, Deli Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 7, 2015
The best thing that NSM has going for them is the People. The staff and the customers are wonderful people. The further you go up the ladder the less real that people get to be.
Pros
free food, great benifits and cool people
Cons
job movement is nearly impossible after a certain point.
Not so good
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, OROctober 25, 2015
A typical day at work started with showing up at 6am to find that no food preperations or supplies needed to have a successful smooth day had been done. Most of the time at least 2 to 3 people would have called in sick. The work load involved in trying to make up for the extreme lack of supplies needed would be extremely over whelming.When I would bring up problems that could be easily fixed managers would point the finger somewere else, they would never take any responsibilty and nothing would change. Being one of the stronger employees when It came to production and customer service I found myself doing at least twice the amount of work as one of the other Deli employees. I also had a very very hard time securing a schedule that met my families needs. For almost a year and a half I struggled to get any small piece of a decent schedule that would allow me real quality time at home with my kids. I had multiple meetings with store management regarding the fact that with my schedule I wouldn't see my kids for about 4 days at a time. It was very damaging to my home life. When I started to ask questions and bring attention this fact, always respectfully in order to find a solution without causing another problem for myself, I felt I started to be targeted as a trouble maker. I feel that when I started I was told it was a lifestyle company, that they would work with you and your family's needs, and that ended up being completely not the case.The company towards the end of my employment had hiring freezes, leaving a small amount of employees to do the work load of what it would  more... take twice the amount of people to do. All that counted to them was the bottom line and how much money they made that day regardless of how it was affecting our health and our family's. I became increasingly stressed out and physically unhealthy. My son had some problems with depression. I made it very clear that I needed to be home in order to help him through his period of depression. He started cutting himself at one point. I'll never forget a meeting that I had with a New Seasons store manager in which my son's problem, that could have led to suicide, as well as my family's situation in dealing with this matter was compared to letting someone go from work early so that they wouldn't be late from band practice.
I will miss the benefits. But when I tried to stick up for what I knew was right and needed for my family to be happy and healthy instead of just going along with the new corperate mentality I found myself becoming a target. It ended up being one of the worst work environments or jobs I have ever had. I would see people who had no family's, kids striaght out of colledge with no family, get positions, or promotions for what seemed like no reason, or schedules that people like myself had been asking for for a long time, almost like it was a spite for trying to achieve better hours or situations for our family's. A lot changed about 2 years ago when New Seasons was taken over by new management and they went through a "remodle"
So many amazing truly friendly people left by the droves and some really nasty mean people started to take there place. It truly seemed like everything New Seasons started on and stood for, the reasons they were wildly succesful for in the first place were going out the window because of the new and encroaching bottom line.
Pros
Benefits package, liberal sick policy
Cons
Lack of advancement, lack of leadership and support, backstabbing corperate metality, over wokred, not enough staff
productive work space
Deli Clerk (Delicatessen Clerk) (Former Employee) –  Portland ORSeptember 3, 2015
• Able to operate slice machines and tools in a safe and effective manner
• Maintained and stocked all designated section areas
• Maintained sanitation and cleanliness of all areas
• In-depth knowledge of ensuring the quality of all products sold to customers
Pros
free food, great team, you can wear whatever youd like and be yourself at work.
Cons
always short handed
Great market and amazing people but with no room for growth.
Deli Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Progress Ridge, OregonNovember 20, 2013
New Seasons Market is a very successful company around Portland. The store is very modern, classy and spacious. I enjoy my job as a Deli Service Clerk and the people I work with. The company provides benefits to anyone working over twenty hours per week and also gives ten percent of its annual profits back to employees. New Seasons is a great company but lacks the potential for upward mobility. The job does not match my skill set and I am eager to put those skills to work. That is why I am seeking change. I want to go from a job to a career.
Pros
Culture, Location and Security
Cons
Pay, Hours and Unfulfilling
Amazing earth values and truly the friendliest place I have ever worked.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 26, 2013
I have learned how to conserve resources, treat every customer the same but tailor how I help them around what they actually need and want from our company. I have learned the value of working with a staff that is there to back you up and be there for you through anything, work or life related.
Pros
Steady hours and awsome health care benefits
Cons
Lower pay and slow to give raises