New Seasons Market Management reviews

Great place
Customer service-Cook (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 2, 2019
Awesome place, only thing that sucks is the attendance points espeically if you have no PTO and you're really sick and get ten points you'll be fired. Good management, awesome benefits. Really helped my family of 6
Pros
Discount, Benefits, Pay, Ease, willingness, blue slip
Cons
points for missed days, was sick the first 1 1/2 months of working and am being fired for it because I got points, other than that it is an amzing place to work
Overall a chaotic environment, ever changing but fun if you don't mind a constant changing landscape. High turn over at the management level.
Environmental Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 19, 2019
If working there be sure to have an open mind and a "go with the flow" attitude. If you approach each day as if you have no idea of what can happen today, but are ready to tackle whatever comes at you, it can be a great experience. NSM is a great concept, however the ever-changing landscape makes it hard to navigate.
Pros
Employee discount! Some free products. Free Coffee and snacks through out the day.
Cons
High turnover rate in management. Never seems like a smoothly running machine.
Almost bankrupt.
Sous Buyer (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJune 11, 2019
If your passive aggressive by nature, then this is for you. This place lacks real-time leadership and accountability. More concerned with maintaining an image that is far gone.
Pros
Okay discount and tons of spoiled food (BlueSlip).
Cons
Lazy store manager.
Encouraged to speak up, but ignored.
Deli Clerk / Floater (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 8, 2019
You start off with a ton of fake promises, then receive little to no training. Management to clerk were vocal regarding their unhappiness with the company and department. Call outs every single day.
Great culture
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 25, 2019
New Seasons was an amazing experience. The reason I left was to relocate to North Carolina in order to be closer to my children. The workplace culture was breathtaking. Management was a joy to work for and extremely supportive. The hardest part of my job managing was when people called in sick and left the team short handed. The most enjoyable part of working for this company was the daily time spent with upper management and their ability to not only coach you through scenarios but also their ability to welcome fresh ideas and listen in order for the team to be successful.
Terrible Management
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 23, 2019
The business cares only about management, everyone else is just a number. Very judgemental management. They do not care about the employees. Favoritism is very high in this company.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Poor Management
I Love New Seasons
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORMarch 30, 2019
I have worked for New Seasons for almost 5 years and I still am very proud to work for this company.
This is not to say that I agree with every single thing they do, but it's still a company with a heart compared to many others. The benefits are out of this world. Amazing. People are genuine here.

I feel that I am treated with respect. My voice is heard. My pay is commensurate with what I actually do in my job. It's still not enough to really survive in Portland, but that's on me not choosing a wealthier career choice. I get paid for what I do- which is not brain surgery. The people that work here are like family and people work hard.

My only complaints: We have had a difficult time with a few of our Assistant Store Managers over the past couple of years as some of them just don't know how to communicate or manage. Another complaint would be that some department managers are placed in roles without any real experience so they make terrible ineffective managers.
Some department managers have a revolving door of employees and yet it may take years for upper management to finally see that its the department manager. Eventually its figured out but it seems to take a while. Maybe that's because upper management wants to think the best of people? Or they just don't want to see it?

If I leave New Seasons tomorrow, I will be sad because its a positive, friendly, supportive place to work. I will always look back at my time as a really good one. I have enjoyed my direct managers and appreciate the humor, the ability to laugh at things, and the heart that if someone makes
  more... a mistake, it's okay... what did you learn from it? It's a great company.  less
Pros
Friendly Supportive Kind Company to work for and the BENEFITS!
Cons
Some Department Managers Need Management Training Classes
Great Place to work. Co-workers have great spirit and attitude.
Store Floater (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 22, 2019
Management is great, they care for you. Great quality of products large variety. Workers and management are pacient with struggling workers. Great salary.
Lacking experienced management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 17, 2019
Managers don't know how to lead a team that enforces food safety seemingly because they are unaware of food safety practices themselves. Coworkers and customers can be fun but I found I was losing my integrity by conforming to their safety standards
Pros
Nice benefits, easy
Cons
Unprofessional leadership
good company but not if you are an outside hire
Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 11, 2019
I was hired into management from outside the company and it was Hard! They really protect their own, so to speak. I rarely got listened to in meetings, passed up for promotions and not taken seriously.
benefits
Cons
they don't embrace new ideas
Good Benefits Poor Management.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 19, 2019
The location was ideal, however the Management had poor communication skills. I spent each eight hour shift keeping the entirety of the store clean. I would not recommend this job to anyone with low stamina and work ethic.
Pros
Good Benefits, Good Community, and Good Pay.
Cons
Poor Communication, job expectations not presented, etc.
Great culture
Grocery Lead (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 10, 2019
There is some great culture among employees but it get's watered down through management. It's hard to move u at a fair pay rate. I was disappointed in the lack of acknowledgement of previous skills when changing positions in the store.
Pros
great team enviroment
Cons
disconnect with management
What it was, shall never be again
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 30, 2018
The company is founded on such incredible principles that it unfortunately doesn't live up to.
With the constant change you experience in the retail world there has to be a conscience effort to enforce systems, expectations and training. The larger and older New Seasons gets, the more they appear to forget that. The facade of culture is not upheld within the walls of any location. With few realizing it can often be the glue that holds staff united and engaged with customers. Instead, staff in departments fed their own needs first(unless you work in Meat, don't ever plan on seeing free food from them), peer conversations are more important than customers and instead of rallying around the hard workers and using that attitude to elevate the team, we're seen as annoying, bossy and aggresive.
These days, you'll be best taken care of if you come from Whole Foods...
Pros
Blue slip(when you can get it), healt benefits and 401k
Cons
Self serving staff and management. Lack of training. Lack of care.
Prepared Foods Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 23, 2018
I enjoyed working for New Seasons Market because the work was easy, fast paced, multi tasking. Mostly relaxed environment, except if you are over worked.
Pros
Decent pay, Benefits, Relaxed environment, room for advancement, pay raises
Cons
No training, good employees get over worked, poor management-lack of communication
Golden Era
Floater (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 10, 2018
Older style>Corporate

It's definitely a sexist and judgemental workplace. Ran with Californians complaining nonstop about the rent prices, even though Oregon never wanted them here in the first place.

:]
A place with a great heart, but sadly lacking in true leadership.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 7, 2018
I have not been with the company long and I have had over 6 schedule changes. They pride themselves on providing work life balance, but aren't very good on the follow through.
The morale is low, attendance is an issue, no food safety training, and an overall lack of awareness from upper management on the day to day issues.
They allow bullying of employees, falsification of records, quantity of employees versus quality, drug and alcohol use during scheduled hours. Upper management is not held accountable and provides poor examples in morals, standards, and ethical behavior especially around the holidays when business ramps up. My direct supervisor told me that I would not see my family the week of Thanksgiving due to the needs of the business.
New Seasons would be an exceptional place to work if they looked to their people who show up every day and care about what they do for ways of improving their business.
Pros
Free food, discounts, lot of good solid employees
Cons
Earned PTO/Paid Sick Time connected, poor leadership, inexperienced leadership; its not what you know, but who you know; no training, no follow through, no accountability
Terrible environment, terrible customers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orenco StationNovember 6, 2018
Work here if you want to be taken advantage of by management, treated as an object rather than a person, and spend your days surrounded by miserable, overworked, and toxic coworkers and customers.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
An open, fast-paced socially and environmentally focused business
Produce Clerk/Assistant Manager/Produce Lead (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 6, 2018
New Seasons, the only grocer certified as a B corporation, is different from most other grocery companies. While the end game remains happy customers with full shopping carts, I felt empowered to spend as much time as needed with each customer to make sure they were satisfied. The company’s product selection is also an important part of the company mission, and relies on local, seasonal suppliers for quality product that is easy to get behind. Stores are also tailored specifically to their communities, and company giving is also specific to charities within store communities. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was always sharing product knowledge directly with customers and newer, upcoming staff.
Pros
Staff discounts, highest starting wage, insurance, inclusive and diverse workplace
Cons
Upper company management disconnected from the daily sales floor
Ft hours are 37.5
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mercer Island, WAOctober 16, 2018
I worked here as a specialist ,from the get go ,it seemed off
Trying to replicate the WF model is difficult ,WF has already achieved that , NSM is a conservative Corp it's image of liberal ideas and social conscience, speak up policy ,is a facade, if you like to be micro managed ,not know what the rules are untill you break them, have employees constantly call off ,have your managers be disingenuous, then this is the place for you . So many rules ,so many daily forms to fill out ..
Pros
Blue slip
Up and at em
Meat Cutter/Butcher (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 23, 2018
Arrive at 4am, get the smoker going with the task of that day, open the meat counter and get it set for display.

I learned a great deal about meat merchandising and production meat cutting.

Aside from a great deal of frequent new management due to an expanding company opening new stores, it was fairly consistent. I was fortunate to be a self starter that spent most of the time managing myself and others.

My favorite part of the market was the diversity of the employees, customers, vendors, and products. Everyday was a new experience, sharing with different walks of life the knowledge of meat and seafood, and the procedures and preparation of the products.

The holiday season and all the hours, but I loved that part.

Being the first one in the shop and doing my duties over a nice cup of coffee.
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
Changing business model from neighborhood market to large corporation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Seasons Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight