New Seasons Market Employee Review

View all New Seasons Market reviews

Not so good
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, OROctober 25, 2015
A typical day at work started with showing up at 6am to find that no food preperations or supplies needed to have a successful smooth day had been done. Most of the time at least 2 to 3 people would have called in sick. The work load involved in trying to make up for the extreme lack of supplies needed would be extremely over whelming.When I would bring up problems that could be easily fixed managers would point the finger somewere else, they would never take any responsibilty and nothing would change. Being one of the stronger employees when It came to production and customer service I found myself doing at least twice the amount of work as one of the other Deli employees. I also had a very very hard time securing a schedule that met my families needs. For almost a year and a half I struggled to get any small piece of a decent schedule that would allow me real quality time at home with my kids. I had multiple meetings with store management regarding the fact that with my schedule I wouldn't see my kids for about 4 days at a time. It was very damaging to my home life. When I started to ask questions and bring attention this fact, always respectfully in order to find a solution without causing another problem for myself, I felt I started to be targeted as a trouble maker. I feel that when I started I was told it was a lifestyle company, that they would work with you and your family's needs, and that ended up being completely not the case.The company towards the end of my employment had hiring freezes, leaving a small amount of employees to do the work load of what it would  more... take twice the amount of people to do. All that counted to them was the bottom line and how much money they made that day regardless of how it was affecting our health and our family's. I became increasingly stressed out and physically unhealthy. My son had some problems with depression. I made it very clear that I needed to be home in order to help him through his period of depression. He started cutting himself at one point. I'll never forget a meeting that I had with a New Seasons store manager in which my son's problem, that could have led to suicide, as well as my family's situation in dealing with this matter was compared to letting someone go from work early so that they wouldn't be late from band practice.
I will miss the benefits. But when I tried to stick up for what I knew was right and needed for my family to be happy and healthy instead of just going along with the new corperate mentality I found myself becoming a target. It ended up being one of the worst work environments or jobs I have ever had. I would see people who had no family's, kids striaght out of colledge with no family, get positions, or promotions for what seemed like no reason, or schedules that people like myself had been asking for for a long time, almost like it was a spite for trying to achieve better hours or situations for our family's. A lot changed about 2 years ago when New Seasons was taken over by new management and they went through a "remodle"
So many amazing truly friendly people left by the droves and some really nasty mean people started to take there place. It truly seemed like everything New Seasons started on and stood for, the reasons they were wildly succesful for in the first place were going out the window because of the new and encroaching bottom line.
Pros
Benefits package, liberal sick policy
Cons
Lack of advancement, lack of leadership and support, backstabbing corperate metality, over wokred, not enough staff

Other New Seasons Market Employee Reviews

Great Company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 4, 2019
Sure it’s not perfect, but this is by far the best place I’ve worked in my 17 years in the workforce. The inclusivity is exceptional, I feel very welcome and free to be myself. I’ve never been told what to do or reprimanded for mistakes, very collaborative vibe. Sometimes processes are too grey and inconsistent.

Benefits are competitive for the industry, and outstanding for a small company that doesn’t profit much.

I have fun at work. I never complain about work like I did in my past. I have freedom to make decisions and feel appreciated.

Technology is out of date, too many manual processes and paper forms. Gradual improvements, but it’s obvious it’s a small company that moves slowly.

The people outshine any group I’ve ever worked with. Amazing support, values and care for staff. This isn’t exclusive to one store location. I often work with different teams and work groups and the experience is generally the same.

It’s surprising how this business can operate the way it does. Commitment is made to local farms and vendors who pay fair wages, even when it means a higher price. Profit isn’t the only driver which sets New Seasons apart.
Pros
Culture, Benefits, Diversity, Reputation
Cons
Technology, overly sensitive staff
Great place
Customer service-Cook (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 2, 2019
Awesome place, only thing that sucks is the attendance points espeically if you have no PTO and you're really sick and get ten points you'll be fired. Good management, awesome benefits. Really helped my family of 6
Pros
Discount, Benefits, Pay, Ease, willingness, blue slip
Cons
points for missed days, was sick the first 1 1/2 months of working and am being fired for it because I got points, other than that it is an amzing place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Seasons Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight