New Seasons Market Employee Reviews

New Seasons
Food Assembler (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 17, 2016
A day at New Seasons Central Kitchen is always changing. With the constant high volumes of food being pushed out of our building can be challenging on the day to day basis.

I like my job because of the huge diverse group of people that I get to work with. I enjoy learning about people and their backgrounds and becoming close with them.

The hardest part of the job is having high numbers on a product that takes a lot to put together and sometimes you end up having to stay over your hours to complete.

Management can be very questionable at times because they arent quick with the communication sometimes.
Pros
Good people, good benefits, steady work
Cons
short breaks, management issues, overwhelming work
Great benefits fun atmosphere
Beer and Wine Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WASeptember 16, 2016
New Seasons is a great place to work! They encourage growth in the company and assist as much as possible in management training. Great benefits including blue-slip program!
Pros
Excellent benefits
Very fun and positive work environment
Bakery Clerk/Deli Clerk/Dishwasher/Prep-Cook (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 1, 2016
I really enjoy how open everyone is to new ideas. The managers really care about their coworkers and are constantly trying to make the workplace better.
Pros
pays good, has good benefits, positive work environment
Cons
communication about changes
Very friendly enviroment, great management
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 24, 2016
The staff are very friendly and always show concern for each others well being. Everyone greets each other upon starting a work shift. Team work is applied and meetings are held daily to ensure everyone is heard. Management is very friendly and is always there when you need them. The hardest part of this job is getting the shift and hours you need and the most enjoyable part would be learning something new and sampling product everyday.
Great People, Good Company
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 20, 2016
I work with some of the best people in Portland at New Season Market. They are fun, hard working, and friendly. Also the benefits of health insurance, blue slips, and a twenty percent discount on groceries are wonderful perks.
A company who takes care of their employees
Assistant Receiver (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 7, 2016
New Seasons is a great company to work for and takes care of its employees. They are willing to teach you in order to gain the skills needed to be promoted. Co-workers treat each other wonderfully and genuinely care for one-another.
Good company to work for
Promotions Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORMay 31, 2016
New Seasons is going through growing pains right now and on the fast track of growing quickly. I enjoy the people I work with and the customers I see everyday.
Fun coworkers but poor management
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 15, 2016
While you get first dibs on free expired food it often makes people sick. No promotions from within and management is very poor
Pros
free expired food, good benefits and pay
Cons
very subjective management
Fun and interesting work place.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 11, 2016
New Seasons Market is truly the friendliest store in town. The people in charge of hiring due a fantastic job hiring the best of the best and everyone is like family. I have no doubt that if I hadn't injured myself on the job I would still be there.
Pros
fun, informative
Cons
injured self on job/not accommodating to that.
Was a great place to work
Deli Assistant Manager, Deli Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 7, 2015
The best thing that NSM has going for them is the People. The staff and the customers are wonderful people. The further you go up the ladder the less real that people get to be.
Pros
free food, great benifits and cool people
Cons
job movement is nearly impossible after a certain point.
Not so good
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, OROctober 25, 2015
A typical day at work started with showing up at 6am to find that no food preperations or supplies needed to have a successful smooth day had been done. Most of the time at least 2 to 3 people would have called in sick. The work load involved in trying to make up for the extreme lack of supplies needed would be extremely over whelming.When I would bring up problems that could be easily fixed managers would point the finger somewere else, they would never take any responsibilty and nothing would change. Being one of the stronger employees when It came to production and customer service I found myself doing at least twice the amount of work as one of the other Deli employees. I also had a very very hard time securing a schedule that met my families needs. For almost a year and a half I struggled to get any small piece of a decent schedule that would allow me real quality time at home with my kids. I had multiple meetings with store management regarding the fact that with my schedule I wouldn't see my kids for about 4 days at a time. It was very damaging to my home life. When I started to ask questions and bring attention this fact, always respectfully in order to find a solution without causing another problem for myself, I felt I started to be targeted as a trouble maker. I feel that when I started I was told it was a lifestyle company, that they would work with you and your family's needs, and that ended up being completely not the case.The company towards the end of my employment had hiring freezes, leaving a small amount of employees to do the work load of what it would  more... take twice the amount of people to do. All that counted to them was the bottom line and how much money they made that day regardless of how it was affecting our health and our family's. I became increasingly stressed out and physically unhealthy. My son had some problems with depression. I made it very clear that I needed to be home in order to help him through his period of depression. He started cutting himself at one point. I'll never forget a meeting that I had with a New Seasons store manager in which my son's problem, that could have led to suicide, as well as my family's situation in dealing with this matter was compared to letting someone go from work early so that they wouldn't be late from band practice.
I will miss the benefits. But when I tried to stick up for what I knew was right and needed for my family to be happy and healthy instead of just going along with the new corperate mentality I found myself becoming a target. It ended up being one of the worst work environments or jobs I have ever had. I would see people who had no family's, kids striaght out of colledge with no family, get positions, or promotions for what seemed like no reason, or schedules that people like myself had been asking for for a long time, almost like it was a spite for trying to achieve better hours or situations for our family's. A lot changed about 2 years ago when New Seasons was taken over by new management and they went through a "remodle"
So many amazing truly friendly people left by the droves and some really nasty mean people started to take there place. It truly seemed like everything New Seasons started on and stood for, the reasons they were wildly succesful for in the first place were going out the window because of the new and encroaching bottom line.
Pros
Benefits package, liberal sick policy
Cons
Lack of advancement, lack of leadership and support, backstabbing corperate metality, over wokred, not enough staff
Great job, great community, great place.
Grocery (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 10, 2015
The happiest store in town!
I never wanted to leave, I felt like I was going to work with a gang of friends and we were all in it together.
Pros
Friends, food, proximity to my home
Cons
low pay, penny raises, weird hours for first few years, lack of upward mobility, inconsistent schedule
Employees first.
Pastry Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 19, 2015
this was a great company to work for so so long. they were always great with making sure the employees were happy and had schedules and wages that worked well. i also enjoyed the work and the time interacting with customers.
Pros
wages and work environment
Cons
healthcare, raises
very family friendly store, for both employees and customers
front end (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WASeptember 17, 2015
loved getting to know the customers while i worked there. Co workers were great. Just had problems with the the management team in the department i worked in.
Pros
Cons
management in different areas of the store need to be kept up on their management skills..
Creative, informative
Demo Manager (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORSeptember 4, 2015
As the Demo Manager I was given NEW products to create meals and snacks for the customers of the store to try. We had big demonstrations and events on the weekends where my team and I would serve the general public.

I learned a lot about the healthy food and the options people have to choose from.

It was a Blast!
Pros
Customers, Trying new products
Cons
Rude customers
productive work space
Deli Clerk (Delicatessen Clerk) (Former Employee) –  Portland ORSeptember 3, 2015
• Able to operate slice machines and tools in a safe and effective manner
• Maintained and stocked all designated section areas
• Maintained sanitation and cleanliness of all areas
• In-depth knowledge of ensuring the quality of all products sold to customers
Pros
free food, great team, you can wear whatever youd like and be yourself at work.
Cons
always short handed
Great job, would recommend to anyone
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORAugust 13, 2015
At this job I learned a LOT about customer service, and it really forced me to hone in on my people skills which was great. The people in management positions were always ready to help out wherever they were needed just like everyone else, and that made things run a lot smoother since it's such a busy place. Overall, a really fun job.
Pros
Great employee discount, great work environment
Nice place to work
Cashier/Beer and wine clerk (Former Employee) –  HillsboroJuly 23, 2015
This company was there for my family when we needed family time. Co workers where great for the most part. Many I still consider friends. I would LOVE to work for New Seasons again. If I could have moved them with us when we moved I would have. Still hopeful for them to open a store locally.
Hard work in a nice place
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Arbor Lodge Portland, ORJune 23, 2015
The job of a Grocery Clerk is a tough one at this store. We are very busy and the location is small. A fair portion of our stock is kept on the second floor, which means a lot of running up and down stairs. I see it as being paid to work out. It can be frustrating trying to keep things organized and keep the work flowing, but the people are great. New Seasons is good about giving people cross-training if the so desire and there are no shortages of opportunities to move around or even up. For a career minded person who doesn't mind responsibility and pays attention to detail, it can be a very rewarding company to work for.
Pros
Blue Slip program, Lend-a-hand, flexible schedule, benefits
Cons
The high volume can burn you out if you let it
Great worker,
Courtesy/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 22, 2015
Great worker, She gets the job done. She is great at helping customers in any way needed always with a smile. She is very outgoing and friendly. She is very reliable and responsible. She stays in communication and dealing with any issue that arises. We have enjoyed having her on our team immensely!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Seasons Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight