New Seasons Market Employee Reviews

Great Company!
HR (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 21, 2018
Being the first B corp grocer, New Seasons Market stays true to its roots, in creating an inclusive environment for all employees. The company provides lots of opportunity for growth and really embraces their "speak up" culture. They also provide fantastic benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401k) and even 8 hours of paid volunteer time.

Overall, New Seasons Market is a company I'm proud to call my employer!
Pros
great atmosphere, awesome coworkers
Cons
constantly being surrounded with delicious food
Golden Era
Floater (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 10, 2018
Older style>Corporate

It's definitely a sexist and judgemental workplace. Ran with Californians complaining nonstop about the rent prices, even though Oregon never wanted them here in the first place.

:]
A place with a great heart, but sadly lacking in true leadership.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 7, 2018
I have not been with the company long and I have had over 6 schedule changes. They pride themselves on providing work life balance, but aren't very good on the follow through.
The morale is low, attendance is an issue, no food safety training, and an overall lack of awareness from upper management on the day to day issues.
They allow bullying of employees, falsification of records, quantity of employees versus quality, drug and alcohol use during scheduled hours. Upper management is not held accountable and provides poor examples in morals, standards, and ethical behavior especially around the holidays when business ramps up. My direct supervisor told me that I would not see my family the week of Thanksgiving due to the needs of the business.
New Seasons would be an exceptional place to work if they looked to their people who show up every day and care about what they do for ways of improving their business.
Pros
Free food, discounts, lot of good solid employees
Cons
Earned PTO/Paid Sick Time connected, poor leadership, inexperienced leadership; its not what you know, but who you know; no training, no follow through, no accountability
a sinking ship
Cheese Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 7, 2018
once a company that everyone wanted to work now barely skirting by. A lot of claims of being progressive and all inclusive turning more into what resembles their competition.
Pros
free pastries
Cons
constant labor hour cuts
Terrible environment, terrible customers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orenco StationNovember 6, 2018
Work here if you want to be taken advantage of by management, treated as an object rather than a person, and spend your days surrounded by miserable, overworked, and toxic coworkers and customers.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
An open, fast-paced socially and environmentally focused business
Produce Clerk/Assistant Manager/Produce Lead (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 6, 2018
New Seasons, the only grocer certified as a B corporation, is different from most other grocery companies. While the end game remains happy customers with full shopping carts, I felt empowered to spend as much time as needed with each customer to make sure they were satisfied. The company’s product selection is also an important part of the company mission, and relies on local, seasonal suppliers for quality product that is easy to get behind. Stores are also tailored specifically to their communities, and company giving is also specific to charities within store communities. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was always sharing product knowledge directly with customers and newer, upcoming staff.
Pros
Staff discounts, highest starting wage, insurance, inclusive and diverse workplace
Cons
Upper company management disconnected from the daily sales floor
ok
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 28, 2018
I have applied for 5 other positions and so far, a week later, no reply. Benefits are ok but consistent hours are not. It is hard to know if there is preferential treatment and it does appear that seniority is the key.
Pros
good manager
Cons
no consistent hours.
Ft hours are 37.5
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mercer Island, WAOctober 16, 2018
I worked here as a specialist ,from the get go ,it seemed off
Trying to replicate the WF model is difficult ,WF has already achieved that , NSM is a conservative Corp it's image of liberal ideas and social conscience, speak up policy ,is a facade, if you like to be micro managed ,not know what the rules are untill you break them, have employees constantly call off ,have your managers be disingenuous, then this is the place for you . So many rules ,so many daily forms to fill out ..
Pros
Blue slip
Cons
Good entry level work place
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, OROctober 8, 2018
Overall very good place to work, especially if you are looking for entry level work. The wages are low for work loads/managers. Wages are not sustainable for raising a family or cost of living in Portland or metro area.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Wages
Up and at em
Meat Cutter/Butcher (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 23, 2018
Arrive at 4am, get the smoker going with the task of that day, open the meat counter and get it set for display.

I learned a great deal about meat merchandising and production meat cutting.

Aside from a great deal of frequent new management due to an expanding company opening new stores, it was fairly consistent. I was fortunate to be a self starter that spent most of the time managing myself and others.

My favorite part of the market was the diversity of the employees, customers, vendors, and products. Everyday was a new experience, sharing with different walks of life the knowledge of meat and seafood, and the procedures and preparation of the products.

The holiday season and all the hours, but I loved that part.

Being the first one in the shop and doing my duties over a nice cup of coffee.
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
Changing business model from neighborhood market to large corporation.
Culture of community
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 19, 2018
I love this store. They're not perfect, but they try really really hard. It's a great chain to work at if you're LGBTQ+, a POC, or a woman. Full time benefits at 20 hours/week, opportunity for promotion and advancement, paid community service time, free organic food, 20% storewide employee discount, and management that will take your needs seriously. I always felt supported working at New Seasons, and they continued to support me after I left
Pros
Free 'unsellable' food, discounts, community connection, paid training
Cons
The Caucasity® of some of the customers...
A company that tries to do the right thing, but sometimes falls short
Front-End Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 17, 2018
The typical work days are little stressful and high paced, but the people who the company hires at the store level are some of the best people I've ever worked with. Each department was a little understaffed and caused many people to get burned out and overworked.
Happy environment, great co workers
Cashier, Barista, Beer & Wine Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, ORSeptember 9, 2018
My coworkers were definitely the best part of the work I did. I wasn't always happy with the customers, and upper management sometimes made it difficult to do my job effectively, but the people I was on the floor with made it all worth it. I wouldn't have stayed as long as I did without them. At the end of the day, it's still just grocery.
Disappointed after starting
Operations Clerk/housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Mercer island waAugust 25, 2018
I got hired as a operations clerk (cashier) and was told I’d do some housekeeping for two weeks and promises of cashier training
Well... that’s not exactly true.
I didn’t know I’d be doing extensive housekeeping duties for a while, a lot longer than two weeks and it’s very disappointing, I didn’t sign up to be a maid for the store. I feel like a Merry maid and Less like the job I applied for
My coworkers are great and the management is friendly but I’m very disappointed that they were deceptive about what the job would start out as.
I wouldn’t of applied if I had known I’d be spot cleaning, cleaning bathrooms, mopping the floor, cleaning windows, it’s a bit more than I can handle physically
Pros
The pay, flexible scheduling, good coworkers
Cons
Deceptive hiring tactics, overly high expectations
good benefits
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 6, 2018
The company hires fun and friendly staff, and they offer good benefits.
Management's capabilities are inconsistent. Some managers are incredible, some are... not.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 6, 2018
This was my first job started fresh out of high school I was treated very well and paid decently well. The management is great and the people are greater.
It's Not That Great
Cook (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 31, 2018
Based on what I've heard from employees that have been here longer than I have, it used to be a really great place to work. Unfortunately it seems that the company has grown too quickly and is becoming more and more corporate. You are constantly overworked, understaffed, and underpaid.
Pros
Good benefits, consistent hours
Cons
Sick policy, little room to grow
Opportunity & Culture
N/A (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 2, 2018
If you are willing to put in the work, they are willing to recognize. I've been promoted due to hard work, diligence and recognition 4 times in 6.5 years. Relaxed work environment where the ability to be yourself and express your opinions is almost too much at times, but would rather be surrounded by open-thoughts and freedom to share an opinion that work somewhere where this isn't allowed. Work-life balance is awesome! I get time when I need it and am only encourage to enjoy the time off, no guilt.
Pros
Great benefits, time off plan, progressive, advancement
Cons
Too many unneeded opinions from fellow staff
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 28, 2018
Great place to work but keep an eye on managers who don't acknowledge life work balance. They are not always responsive to the very real needs of being an adult. Sometimes it feels like they treat employees like teenagers.
Used to be wholesome and caring. Things change.
Cashier - Woodstock (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 15, 2018
I work hard, really hard. But I can't move up and I can't leave my department. They're just trying to keep me down and still expect the world from me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Seasons Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight