New Seasons Market Employee Reviews

Love this place
Deli Service Manager/Deli Clerk/Freight Crew (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 15, 2018
Place is amazing. I worked there for years and loved it. Met tons of great people that are still my friends to this day. I was able to work in multiple departments.
NS does some things really well, but there are gaps
Front End (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 15, 2018
New Seasons knows how to hire quality. They deserve their reputation as the "friendliest store in town" and their value of contributing to the community is legit.

However, in my opinion, there are some real HR gaps; in the onboarding, training and review process, in particular as noted below.

Majority of training is provided by peers, which doesn't always result in accuracy, or strength in performance.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Leadership lack of skill and training gaps
Very ineffective leadership
Seasonal Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORFebruary 9, 2018
As a temp it is your responsibility to know how to do everything yet the leadership constantly ensured that was not the case. When you ask for feedback, it is given in a way that is made to make you look bad while they look good.
Once great company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 4, 2018
While there are still many wonderful things about the company, including benefits like medical insurance, discounts on groceries, and amazing coworkers, it is unfortunately not the great company it once was. The culture of the stores and company have changed from a once proudly independant operator known for being genuine, to another run of the mill high-end grocery store focused primarily on profit.
Pros
benefits, coworkers
Cons
Executive leadership
Great people, very diverse
Cook, Value Added Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 1, 2018
I like New Seasons a lot. I don't do much customer service since I work behind the scenes in a production capacity, so I get less "Retail Stress".
The benefits are great, the discount is super and they attract wonderful people.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 29, 2018
New seasons was a great place to work. They hire people based on personality and because of that, everyone I worked with was extremely friendly and helpful.
Great people to work with, and excellent benefits.
Prepared foods department (Former Employee) –  Happy Valley, ORJanuary 22, 2018
A fun place to work with great co-workers, but not a challenging environment to work in. There were some opportunities for advancement but were limited.
Pros
20% percent discount and great benefits
Customers and coworkers
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJanuary 10, 2018
Great food, great customers, great coworkers, great atmosphere.
The community at new seasons is like no other. This is the type of place that you want to come back to work every day. Career advancement options. Everyday would be a blast with the customers and coworkers.
Seemed like a good place to work in the past
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 6, 2018
From what I can tell by talking to more tenured employees, workplace conditions at New Seasons Market have been in decline. Even in my 7-ish months as an employee, I can already feel a shift towards a more corporate feel. Aside from that, the cashiering position is monotonous and under-stimulating.
Pros
Occasional free food/assorted groceries, health benefits
Cons
Monotonous, limited upward mobility, increasingly corporate management
Progressive Company mostly
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 4, 2018
staff are always friendly but not necessarily with each other. It's a great place to work for young people and it's a fairly easy place to work for older people. I love that customer service is such a high priority.
Decent company Great Store
Cook (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 3, 2018
The store and its employees are incredible. New and innovative marketing strategies and store layout make shopping easy for customers. The customer service is the best I've experienced and the lengths they go to provide for a diverse clientele is amazing. Clean and professional staff take pride in their work. Advancement is extremely difficult and the lack of growth opportunities limited.
Pros
steady breaks, clean and safe work place, great co-workers
Cons
Very corporate controlled and limited advancement opportunities
fun work palce
Meat/Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 2, 2018
Everyone in the company was great to work with. very open minded and excepting work force. Always able to take a minute and share a laugh with fellow employees and customers alike
Pros
Discount on groceries
Cons
the company stopped caring about the employees
Great place to work, but in decline
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 29, 2017
Over the period that I worked for new seasons I saw a great deal of the quality slide, particularly after it was acquired by an outside investment group. Overall, still a good place to work and the culture among coworkers is outstanding but the trajectory of it's future seems doubtful.
Pros
lifestyle scheduling, great bennefits, great company culture on the bottom level
Cons
poor choices in upper management, long term loss of the values of the company
fast paced, fun, relaxed, and productive workplace.
Perishables clerk (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CADecember 6, 2017
The culture is great. People and staff are always kind and helpful. Give out a lot of free stuff to their customers and provide great customer experience. Weekdays are kind of slow with rushes here and there but weekends are busy. The food taste great plus the employee discount works on everything including sale items. Management is great and very helpful.
Pros
discounts, people, benefits, and environment.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR 97202December 5, 2017
Although I was only interning there, I felt like I belong there. I was actually apart of the team, they had me work different departments each day of my internship but if I stay there and actually had a job there. I would enjoy the janitorial work, but that's just my opinion.
productive place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 3, 2017
good place to work very accomadating to your needs..I liked the people there
they left you alone and trusted what you were doing..The only thing is Id like to go back and havent been able to get through the internet system...I learned to greet people prepare food and cashier along with dish washing. dish washing was the hardest part of job no break hard work. I loved the people that worked there and the customers.
Pros
good hours and benefits
Cons
working in the dept you want
Great company values
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 26, 2017
Working for New Seasons Market has family feel. They work hard to take care of their employees with work/life balance scheduling, bennifits and free culls.
Pros
scheduling, benefits, free culls, fun atmosfear.
Cons
It can be a fun place to work
Baker (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORNovember 11, 2017
I am still at New Season's Market at at times it is a fun place to work, but there is also a lot of communication gaps that happen. And I feel like the managers don't have as much accountability as they should.There is a lot of gossip, and favoritism, I was told many time to do my job with out question, even when I was just looking for clarity. But the benefits are really nice and the pay is fair, if you are good at brown nosing then you'll move right along quickly in the company.
Pros
Benefits, pay, discounts in store
Cons
poor communication, deep divide between store and central kitchen
MIxed messages
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 12, 2017
My experience with New Seasons was a different experience when you shop there and then brought on to work there. Once there, everything changes, bad.
Pros
schedule flexibility
Cons
poor management, cut throat, clicques
Fun place to work, everyone treats you like a good friend. There is a genuine happiness there.
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 9, 2017
You have to get promoted to keep loving it there. They are super supportive being hired within the company.
Good benefits and happy co workers. It is like any corporation though, the bottom line is money.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Seasons Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight