New York & Company
61Average

New York & Company Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA35 reviews
Busy place to work
• Exercise persuasive skills by selling the New York and Company Credit Card
• Set up new floor sets by following picture models
Chaotic and poorly managed
The best part about the job is always the customers. However, regional management are not worried about customer service a much as they are concerned with a store locations ability to get credit cards.
Fun Fast Pace Environment
Worked on cash register to receive payments and return changes.
Placed orders and served customers

Operated the cash register

Responsible for checking inventory

Customer service including, be friendly and responsive to customer needs in a fast paced environment

Performed cleaning duties such as sweeping, mopping, washing basins, and keep equipments and facilities sanitary.

Managed/created master calendar and schedules for Clients
Disorganized and Exhausting
Working here was very tiring and not worth the pay of $8.60/hr. Co-workers are not too bad and neither is management, but people call out a lot. Training is not done well, which can be stressful. During first week I believe is when they train employees on register. Credit card sign ups are definitely stressed. However, manager failed to train me on card sign ups then lowered my hours after I had no sign ups the first week. This was after I pointed out to the assistant manager that I had a customer come up and ask to sign up for one. Instead of showing me how to do it she took the customer and signed her up under her name so she would get the credit. New merchandise every week which is a pain to unload. Often two to three people left in store for close. I almost NEVER left a shift on time, especially if it was closing. Typically had to spend AN HOUR OR MORE over shift end time, sometimes even close to midnight until we could leave. Ridiculous. But the head manager always made sure to leave her shift on time, though. The last several weeks of my employment I was working way over my preferred hours. I in fact, NEVER worked a single week with my preferred hours. Last two girls hired before I left both quit the next week, and another left early, so we were very short staffed. Work-life balance was terrible, absolutely no idea when you're working. All that being said, it still wasn't the worst job I've ever had.
Pros
Break, but only with 8 hour shifts
Cons
everything
not my first pick..
Always busy, whether it was on the floor or in the back. I felt like I was doing more than what I was getting paid. Manager wasn’t that organized IMO. Some coworkers were cool. Closing shifts were hard because there were only 2 people scheduled. Usually one was cleaning while the other was closing the cash register. I thought that was kind of unfair, but we always got the job done.
Pros
Getting paid and praised by nice customers
Cons
Rude people, and being obligated to do 5 things at one time by 3 different managers.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
fun
New york and company is a business / casual store for woman. It is as team oriented, hard work, fast past, and fun place to work. Great discounts for shoppers an employees. Be ready to work
Sales Associate Duties
Fast Paced Work Environment, Ringing Up Customers, Recovering and Cleaning up the store.
I learned that everyone doesn't have the same set of manners that I have

Some Management is inconsistent

The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the coupons and customers always want a discount

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting paid every Friday
Pros
Getting Paid every week
Cons
No Benefits, Spontaneous Work Hours
Fun workplace

Organized

Great team

Great store manager

Professional
A very productive but a great place to work
The work is not hard, but is demanding. That's not a problem for a hard worker. Helping the customer can be the funniest or the most difficult part. Most of the time it will depend on your attitude. Teamwork is essential.
fun place to work
I had a great time working here among great people and fashion. I learned more about retail and being quick on my feet. I also like the diversity to be among different cultures.
very fast paced
Daily work would include communication, promos, business review, payroll and ensuring that the team is in place. Filling the sales floor. ensuring that you are giving the proper guest experience.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
the dm that is not longer with the company was not honest
terrible plpace to work
a typical work day would be terrible. they will give you inconsistent schedules and schedule you on days you say you cant work, mark you as no show/ no call even if you call.
Pros
Cons
everything, the manager, breaks, how the store is operated
N/a
Any job can be fun or ok to work at if the management is good. I was a part timer but always on call giving me no work/life balance. The job itself was not hard at all.
Fast paced
I enjoyed working there. I learned a lot. I learned how to train new employees, count register. I learned how to do inventory and stock up. The reason I quit was because they would over-work me a lot, they were always understaffed. I would pull over time almost every week.
Pros
Discount
Very productive
you meet interesting people everyday, new challenges, nice discounts, nice coworkers and managers, making the customers feel good is the most important part of this job
Credit Card and ok employees
If you do not feel comfortable with the idea of asking someone to apply for a credit card, do not apply for this job. It is mandatory and/or highly pressured upon the associates to meet a days goal even when you know it will hurt the customer.
Okay
Working at New York & Company one gets to working in a quick paced environment, being able to put multitasking abilities to use and assist in the customer service needs of the individuals who enter the store
interestingn first jo
lots of involvement with people. Must have good communication skills and be able to work with customers in a changing environment. managing of cash register and credit card machines necessary.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
stressful at times
Fast - Pace environment, with cut throat managers
Small, and crowded work place, it's a very competitive job with demanding quotes. And the Store Manger is very rude. He screams at customers, and curses under his breath.
Supportive
A typical day starts with working at the register: Completing transactions, doing returns/ exchanges, telling customers the deals for the day and encouraging them to apply for a card and get more discounts when approved. In between performing these transactions, I am checking with the customers in the fitting room: checking for different sizes, opinions on what they are wearing, and making suggestions to enhance their styles. I may be asked to work on "go backs", which is putting back items customers have tried on and don't want to purchase. I can also be asked to work on the "floor" where I greet customers that enter the store, ask if they need any assistance, and look for items for them.

I have learned a lot in the retail business. I have learned to problem solving skills to the retail business and my using more of my empathy to understand a customer's frustrations. Working at New York and Company made me work on my social skills and become more acquainted with the customers.

The work place culture is good, fun, and there is always a teaching moment. I have always been encourage to ask questions by my managers and co workers. Also to remember we all are supporting each other in any way we can. Sometimes it's the company you keep that make the shift pass by so quickly.

The hardest part of the job is when you deal with a customer that feels they are entitled to mistreat you because you are of service to them. Also "go backs" and folding clothes can be very difficult, especially when you take the time to organize them and the customers undo what you have done. Standing
 - more...
Pros
It's a different experience form my previous job. Management and co workers are supportive.
Cons
I am working part time even though I applied for a full time position, Some of my hours have been cut due to budgeting.
Second job
Awesome place to work .Great foundation to learn customer service. Learned how to Cashier. The most enjoyable part of the day was seeing a customer satisfied.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York & Company. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8
2.9
Ratings from women
2.6
InHerSight Score
2.0Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight