New York & Company Employee Reviews

Does not pay well
Assistant Manger (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 20, 2018
Very slow place to work at, talked about the company going to close , it has no fashion clothes. That job is for someone who wants to work part time .
Pros
discount
Cons
short breaks
productive great employees
Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RIJuly 18, 2018
being a manager it has helped me improve as a person i would tell anyone to work there thy properly train and help you every step of the way to succeed.
Pros
flexable schedule
Cons
short lunches
Corporate feel and lots of clothes
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJuly 16, 2018
This job was strictly a college job so I had no intention of moving up the latter but they did do their best to hire/promote from within. Discounts were mediocre but every so often they had a good one.
Pros
ok discounts
Great if your looking for part time work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 15, 2018
I truly enjoyed working as a part time sales associate. Great employee discounts and they work well if you need to have a flexible schedule. When I was an employee I had great team leaders.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Very Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJuly 15, 2018
I love to work with people that I don't know. The customers always had me ready to get to work 1 hour ahead of time. Some people were angy but overall they were they best people on earth.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short breaks
Overall a decent place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, NYJuly 13, 2018
The work environment is usually slow paced and gets busier during holidays. The managers are great to get along with and they often help with flexible hours.
Pros
Flexible hours, good management
Cons
Not many hours given to sales associates.
A company that offers growth and development
Senior Product Development Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2018
It is a company that offers career growth and development especially if you express interest, it is a good company to learn about the business and for exposure in the fashion industry
A greta place to learn exceptional customer service skills
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJuly 11, 2018
I worked here seasonally early on in college. The location I was at was pretty slow for the most art, but it was a great place to hone the excellent customer service skills that I still use today.
Awful moral
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 11, 2018
I’ve worked for the company for years. Started with a hopeful spirit, as the CEO made a bunch of promises. Nothing has changed. Promotions are out of control, there is no support from the corporate level, lack of payroll is ludicrous and the constant stress for getting credit is scary. Literally, every year payroll, in stores is cut fairly drastically. I constantly feel like we have to choose between having integrity with trying to get customers to sign up for credit and/or making bad decisions. Corporate literally tells you “do what you have to do” in regards to trying to get new applications. Store teams are stressed out to the point where they are almost forcing customers to sign up. I mean, DM’s are making stores call them hourly with how many they have yet stores are also pressured to make sales......district/regional managers have easier jobs for sure. They’re essentially stressing out their stores to harass customers for credit....much easier said than done. Blame it on the stores that aren’t making credit/sales. Can’t be a reflection on their leadership at all.....Also, doesn’t matter how well your store performs. My store was a high performing location-no raises. They’re already one of the lowest paying companies and to not offer a raise to stores that are actually doing their jobs? Wow.

All in all awful culture. If corporate would open their eyes and see how miserable employees are they could potentially make some crucial changes. This company doesn’t care at all about retention of happy employees. All they care about is announcing, on conference calls, how well
  more... the company is doing in comparison to other ratailers. All while store teams are rolling their eyes because while we are out here pumping the pump to make this company profitable-we still are paid coins.

Run from this company....FAST.
Pros
Teaches you the kind of job you don’t want
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MD 20910July 8, 2018
I had a great time working here among great people and fashion. I learned more about retail and being quick on my feet. I also like the diversity to be among different cultures.
Friendly Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCJuly 6, 2018
A typical workday was fairly busy. From tending to the intended floor plan and manage daily customer interaction. .Working in this environment allowed me to enhance my interpersonal skills..
Place is closed now
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COJuly 6, 2018
New York and Company no longer has a branch in Loveland, CO. It was a fine place to work, but, as with all retail jobs, when changes happen there seems to be higher turnover.
Fun place to work
Junior Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 5, 2018
I love my job, but the pay is terrible. That would be the only reason I would leave the company. I have been able to move up and there is not much difference between what I make as a junior manager and what I made as an associate. This company has extremely high expectations along with an extensive list of responsibilities and qualifications for each position. The pay offered does not match any position. Management at the store level is great. At the district/regional level, it needs improvement. The company has a high level of turnover at ALL levels, which I believe is due in part to the low hourly and salary they offer their employees. Training leaves much to be desired.
Pros
Benefits, great discount, opportunity to move up, nice environment
Cons
Pay, unstable management, poor training
management was poor
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 3, 2018
i let everyone step on me. i was working my butt off to make my was up but instead they just used me. i help with everything. i did my job plus others because others didn't know their job. this job is too stressful. and they pay was not right. i was making less for everything i did.
Fast paced
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Center Valley, PAJuly 3, 2018
Everything is constantly changing and it's a lot to keep up with. Lots of pressure on management to complete tasks. Great clothes. Fashion forward. Rewarding. Empowering for women. Always room for advancement someway or another.
fast paced & productive
STOCK ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAJune 30, 2018
A typical day at work for me was coming in and going straight to unpacking boxes, folding and applying sensors to the product. As a first job I learned how to work as a team and maintain the backroom.
very hectic and chaotic environment
STORE SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 30, 2018
lots of hard work with little support systems as i remember. lots of freight and floor sets with minimal staff. lots of time it was sooo much to do with little hours to schedule enough help especially during the holidays. no more detail to add
Pros
employee disc was good
Cons
not enough systems
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bel Air, MDJune 29, 2018
NY&CO is a good place to work. The management team is good and they have a good group of employees. The pay is minimum wage and could be better. Overall good place to work.
Pros
management
Cons
low pay
No Good
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2018
High pressure environment at times, and you always feel like your job is on the line (because it is). The CEO, and most corporate partners look down on field employees; The CEO wont even shake your hand. The associates are commonly referred to as "the help" by the corporate team. There is a culture of finger pointing and throwing people under the bus for decline in business or poor results. The company is a mess operationally, with no real systems in place, and corporate team is disconnected from field team, so the expectations are unrealistic.
Pros
you will get a lot of practice in changing and adjusting on the fly, competing priorities, and time management
Cons
poor work environment, disorganized
productively slow
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 27, 2018
you cleaned took care of customers put clothes away stocked the shelves and helped ring customers out made sure no one stole products plus folded clothes to make the store look presentable
Pros
one break
Cons
pay was low