New York & Company Employee Reviews

Good retail job
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLApril 24, 2018
Managers take their work very serious. Worked around my schedule. Helpful and gives good advice. Co workers are great too. Smaller the store, the earlier you will leave.
Daily Tasks
Sales (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA and Pensacola, FLApril 17, 2018
Check Sales list from the previous year and see what the goals are for the day. Cleaning, Floor setting, and closing down registers. Selling certain items.
Dont work here !!!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJApril 16, 2018
Really don't work here unless you really need a job. The management is poor and you barely get hours or benefits. Also the co-workers are stuck up and rude.
Pros
Cons
No hours
Good Experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAApril 15, 2018
I enjoyed working for New York and Company. Working there strengthen my manager skills. Our store had a small stuff, so it was nice to know everyone's name and work ethic.
bad
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJApril 15, 2018
The job was overall terrible I didn't like the store manager or assistant manager. They didn't have cashiers and overall work place was so rude cause they were always giving dirty looks.
Pros
schedule breaks
Cons
management terrible
Get ready to kiss your life goodbye!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  SouthApril 15, 2018
If New York and Company would put as much effort into their employees as they do that stupid credit card then maybe they could run a successful business. Company doesn't even care about their own clothing. They stress out the credit card daily. It has gotten so bad they make you report to your DM every 3 hours about how many credits your store has so far. Company only gives an employee discount half of the time. There's no more incentive for getting customers to sign up for the credit card anymore. As the company use to pay employees $1 for every credit card sign up. Now it's nothing. Although the company gets a big kick back from the credit card company. Customers complain that the credit card benefits are weak compared to other stores. You only get 15% off for signing up. And no additional off for using it any other time. You have to spend $200 just to get a $10 reward. The credit card company increases the interest rate every 3 months. It's a pain to deal with.
Aside from the credit card is the work life balance itself. No overtime pay is paid to management. Store Managers are expected to stay over and come in early to get things done by themselves! If you are short staffed be prepared to work your life away. They give you plenty of PTO days but they're all never used and cannot be rolled over. District and Regional managers are always taking time off. Even on black out days. But will not approve their store management to take days off. District Managers will not make it a priority to fill the open management spots in your store. Causing the management team to work 60
  more... hours a week. Usually without breaks. Floor sets are never prepared correctly by corporate. Freight usually comes in the week before or the week of with no directions if the items are folded or hung. Promos are changed about 4-5 times a week and never in conjunction with the current floor set. Therefore signs are usually not placed correctly.
I still love the brand. But unfortunately the brand does not appreciate it's employees. Lots of things have changed with the company in the last couple years. Bad leaders have joined and the good leaders have left.

Oh... And raises? Maybe every other year. If you're lucky.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
No discount. No life outside the store.
sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 14, 2018
every day walking in the store. everything is in a different place. have to know where everything is. the manager doesn't really talk about the job and what to do.
Pros
discount
Cons
short hours
Great Management/ Fun place to work
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 13, 2018
I enjoy working at New York and Company the management team is great. I have learned a lot working here as far as retail. I enjoy interacting with customers on the sales floor.
Good place to work part time hours.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lebec, CAApril 10, 2018
This was a fun place to work for, but not if you need full time hours. This was just a part time job, but overall a good place to gt some extra cash in the door.
With most stores closing in the area, there is currently no opportunity for growth.
Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 10, 2018
I've met many people and enjoy greeting and helping them create an outfit for any occasion. Whether it was job related or vacation outfits. Customers who shop at New York & Company have shopped there since the name was Lerner New York.
Cons
no opportunites in growth.
I’m organized
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rehoboth Beach, DEApril 10, 2018
They were very un organized and they hired me but no hours. The employers didn’t really communicate. You feel very rushed. They don’t care what you do.
Very fun work place, clothing and accessories always went together, great customer base
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Sevierville, TNApril 8, 2018
Very busy after February, fun environment to work in. Can be stressful at times but you make it through. Hardest part getting in 30 plus boxes of freight every other day and not having time to get it done. Making customers leave happy and tell you how much they enjoyed their shopping experience with you always made my day.
Pros
discounts on clothes
Cons
confusion with coupons
Wonderful group of people to work with
Sale Associate - Cashier (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 7, 2018
Busy days with no time to chit chat however we all move and work together like a fine greased machine. I have learned to give grace when it comes to disgruntled customers however few and far between they are. More than not, customers are always happy with our exceptional customer service. Management trusts the seasoned employees to do what is expected with little to no direction and understand my fear of heights when having to climb ladders in the stock room!

I enjoy helping everyone with their fashion selections and giving them the best deals possible!
Pros
part time and flexible freeing up my time for a full time job
Cons
low hourly wage
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Henrietta, NYApril 4, 2018
Working at New York and Company provides a stable work environment for me, its very fast paced. I would recommend working here to anyone who is looking for a job to accommodate to their schedules. As their are opportunities for advancement, I only intend to stay for another two years until I graduate from college. I learned how to work well with customers, the hardest part about the job is remembering that even though the customer is wrong, they are always right. That you must cater to whatever the customer needs, to make a sale. I do enjoy working with my co-workers and even my managers, I have great relationships with them.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short breaks, and put-backs
Lovely work space
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2018
I love everything about this job. The people at work, my managers are amazing. There is always something to do at work. I work in stock and its great.
Don't go there
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAApril 2, 2018
If you like to stand out, don't work at new york & co. If you are an independent thinker, don't bother. The clothes are overpriced and cheaply made, half of the time I was doing shipment I had to put things to the side because of the poor quality of the products.
retail
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYApril 1, 2018
Sales associate, New YORK AND COMPANY (2005-2007)
Negotiated sales which required excellent and interpersonal skills
Performed customer relations, sales register, and maintenance of clothing and layout of inventory
Created new customer accounts
Solicit credit card applications
Pros
great place to work
Cons
part time
Good Manager, Bad Company
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXMarch 30, 2018
I enjoyed working at New York & Company because I had a good manager; however, corporate management had high turnover and lacked communication / structure. Corporate pushes sales associates to market the store credit card with little to no compensation / reward for doing so. New York & Company customer service is spineless / requires sales associates to be pushovers in the name of "customer first" satisfaction, which prevents staff from effectively intervening to prevent theft. I had a great experience working for this company because I had such a great store manager, but the broader company's business model is deeply flawed.
Pros
Dress code has become more casual
Combative work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 30, 2018
Working here, I gained a lot of knowledge on people and how to please each different person. Customer service is one of my strengths and I feel I made an inviting work environment. The hardest part of the job was understaffed on days we needed more people and overstaffed on days we didn't. Near the end of my work experience, certain managers cut my hours and gave it to someone they liked better or favored more. This made an unpleasing work environment. I had to leave because it cost more to drive there than the hours they left me with. Overall would work there again, but under a different area of work so I can have different hours and work independently. Its been awhile since I worked here, so things could be different.
Pros
The customers, work experience
Cons
hours get cut, understaffed, rude co-workers
Work Culture
Sales Associate/Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 29, 2018
Company great if you have a sense in Fashion and great customer service skills, fast paced, excellent job benefits and store discount, flexible work schedule. and great leadership/management staff.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Work Hours