New York & Company Employee Reviews

Found 1,234 reviews matching the search See all 1,239 reviews
Work/Life balance...NOT
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 10, 2018
I was hired as the Manager in May. I was not told that I only had one person.Could not hire sales associates because the pay was $7.80 per hour. Assistant pay was not any better. Worked over 65 hours a week, This is an exempt salary position. No over time pay. The DM was non-existent. I tried to explain the challenges. The response was I can't help you, you are the store manager,,, You figure it out. So I figured it out and resigned. The upper management is so out of touch with the stores and the workload is out of control. Marketing change just about everyday. This means you are scanning the entire store every morning and changing most every sign in your store.Floorsets are mostly done when the stores are open for business..
Pros
Weekly pay, discounts
Cons
No work/life balance, workload, pay
Not worth it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAAugust 23, 2018
I love my coworkers and that's about it when it comes to my job. Our management is short-staffed and the ones that we do have can't do their job correctly. There's poor communication amongst everyone. Management expects us to buy new clothes from the store almost every 2 1/2 weeks when we don't gt paid enough/enough hours to afford the clothing. We get a 15% discount and usually the coupons we have out are a better deal than that. There's promotion opportunities but nobody likes to take them because nobody wants a commitment to this company. Don't even bother applying if you're not a good sales person because they expect you to open credit cards everyday. So if you're not good they're allowed to cut your hours, it's in store policy. Also the day the ceo came to visit the store nobody got lunches and we had people on the clock for 23 hours, so it's not like upper management does anything to fix up the issues.
Pros
paid 10 minute break, discount on products
Cons
breaks are short and hardly give you time to eat, poor management, hardly any benefits
Fun place to work
Junior Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 5, 2018
I love my job, but the pay is terrible. That would be the only reason I would leave the company. I have been able to move up and there is not much difference between what I make as a junior manager and what I made as an associate. This company has extremely high expectations along with an extensive list of responsibilities and qualifications for each position. The pay offered does not match any position. Management at the store level is great. At the district/regional level, it needs improvement. The company has a high level of turnover at ALL levels, which I believe is due in part to the low hourly and salary they offer their employees. Training leaves much to be desired.
Pros
Benefits, great discount, opportunity to move up, nice environment
Cons
Pay, unstable management, poor training
Management sucks, not enough pay,
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gretna, LAOctober 26, 2018
I started off making $8.00 hourly, recieved a $0.35 raise, the amount of work employees have to put in. my particular manager made it hard for scheduling, like most people who work there im in school some days i need off ( same days weekly) and she would still schedule me on those days. if she made scheduling errors i would have to find someone to cover her mistake.
If I could make it one star I would.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAOctober 4, 2018
I was working there for two years and started off with $8.10 and only received a 5 cent pay raise. The pay was awful compared to the workload and was not worth it. The company did not care for their employees and there were barely any benefits. You had to wear their overpriced clothing and the newer management was terrible.
Cons
Pay
This was a very fast-pace working environment!
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJanuary 13, 2019
Although this was a very fast paced working environment, I enjoyed working here. A typical day included ensuring that sales for the day was made and coaching staff.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Extremely long hours
Credit cards are all they want
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 24, 2018
We got hours based on credit cards, Sometimes I would get 40 hours sometimes I would 8 hours. It was a high school atmosphere there was always drama. My manager was so rude! He even told one of the girls I worked with she could wear her natural hair because it was "unprofessional". When I got the position of assistant manager, my store manager was always calling off so I would work double shifts almost every other day.
Pros
discount
Cons
no breaks no benefits unreliable hours
Low paying company
Junior Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 26, 2018
Although you do get 40% off as management, the job doesn't pay well for the work you do and the hours.
I worked there for 2 years and never got a raise and the second year I had to demand a review from my manager who played favorites and had no integrity. The customer base is mostly older business women who always wanted an extra discount. Also when they say "junior manager" they actually mean "assistant manager who does all the same work for half the pay".
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else.
busy retain chain
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ridgewood, NYNovember 30, 2018
New York and company is a womans clothing store. it specialized in womens fashion and accessories. Retail can be stressful when dealing with loss prevention as well as cutting employee hours when daily sales aren't met leaving store under staffed.
Pros
employee discounts, matched 401K
Cons
many hours on your feet
Decent Company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAOctober 11, 2018
The company itself is a good company to work for but when I worked in management I was shuffled in between the three local stores and was asked to take on more than responsibility than what was expected without extra compensation in any way.
Its Not the best job..
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 10, 2018
Yea, we get discounts off clothes but..the salary is so poor and i get poor hours like once a week or 3 days, i cant keep working at a job thats gonna pay me poorly. i got bills to pay. and we get paid every thursday.. well i dont because they make me work only thursdays on some weeks or 3 days sometimes ..thats not fair
Job Description
Stock Crew (Current Employee) –  Buford, GANovember 11, 2018
I work Stock room processing a lot of freight and heavy boxes and climbing up and down ladders. It can be stressful sometimes but most the time I am left alone to do my job.
Pros
Not dealing with cash registers
Cons
No benefits and lack of pay
Not a good place to work
Cashier/Manager (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNJune 19, 2018
When I was working at New York and company, I was treated very poorly by management. The were always rude to me. They do not give you opportunities to move up in the company, they just hire someone new. You only get a few small benefits. You do not get the correct amount of hours unless you really put your foot down. They put people on the floor without proper training.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No opportunity for growth, management
Stress was more than the pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Valley Stream, NYSeptember 19, 2018
the up keep of the store the consent battle of who's selling the most. Your not making us money. Im note of an operations individuals. but overall a great start.
Pros
work family
Cons
constantly wanting u to spend money, hours and not enough benefits
great place
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 4, 2018
decent place to work, great benefits. retail hours are the only thing that I dont like about the job. The customers were the best part of the experience will make great friends
fast paced workplace
LEAD SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Valley Stream, NYAugust 7, 2018
sometimes it was very poor time management and communication skills. paid time off, birthday pay, grievance pay, vacation pay, holiday pay, annual raises
Seek other retail employment.
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, NYNovember 1, 2018
In regards to management, she pretends to be on your side and listen to you when in reality she uses your words against you and guilt trips you when you can't do what she says or wants. Coworkers cannot be trusted and are quick to throw you under the bus for their own benefit and advancement. Understaffed and under appreciated. Asked to do work beyond my job description with out instruction or proper staffing to complete tasks. Management talks negatively about other employees in front of customers and co-workers. Dangerous work environment do to lack of security and high theft issues which you are forced to take care of with no manager on shift or manager supervision. All in all it is a toxic work place and would not recommend for anyone to work in this location!!!!!
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Good Manager, Bad Company
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXMarch 30, 2018
I enjoyed working at New York & Company because I had a good manager; however, corporate management had high turnover and lacked communication / structure. Corporate pushes sales associates to market the store credit card with little to no compensation / reward for doing so. New York & Company customer service is spineless / requires sales associates to be pushovers in the name of "customer first" satisfaction, which prevents staff from effectively intervening to prevent theft. I had a great experience working for this company because I had such a great store manager, but the broader company's business model is deeply flawed.
Pros
Dress code has become more casual
Overall not a good experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYDecember 13, 2018
So much favoritism, long hours with poor pay. You have a lot of responsibilities that regular sales associates shouldnt have. Management is awful and chooses favorites. Not easy to move up at all. Overall a terrible place with terrible employees and managers.
Pros
decent break times, sometimes has free snacks
Cons
no room to move up, low pay, terrible management, chooses favorites and the amount of hours you get rely on how well you're liked by management
Great place to work especially to receive discounts on business attire clothing
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYMay 22, 2018
Climate controlled and amazing clothing as well as jewelry

Good workplace culture that raises money yearly for charity

Great place to meet new people and help others with getting their wardrobe upgraded
Pros
Climate controlled
Cons
Minimum wage starting pay